Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

MD1990 wrote: »
    Rovers won their Cup final tonight.

Hope they win their next cup final aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

MD1990 wrote: »
    Rovers won their Cup final tonight.

Stephen Bradley’s plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Rovers played brilliantly tonight, big turnaround from the performances against Limerick and Bohs. Finn had his best game in a long time and G. Bolger also had his best game I've seen in a Rovers shirt, young Aaron Bolger looks a serious player too and the three of them link up very nicely in the middle of the pitch. Kevin Horgan had a great game too and pulled off some magnificent saves in the first half, credit where credit is due as I gave him some stick earlier in the season.

Cork were terrible, only looked threatening from set pieces, can never put my finger on why but there is something dislikeable about the Cork team. Sadlier has a wicked delivery on him though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Cork were terrible, only looked threatening from set pieces, can never put my finger on why but there is something dislikeable about the Cork team. Sadlier has a wicked delivery on him though.

A result like that has been coming for a while for us tbh. Bar the Dundalk game which was actually a good solid display, we've been playing terribly for a good few games now. Bohs and Pats both should have beaten us at the Cross yet somehow we kept managing to pick up wins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Wilberto wrote: »
    A result like that has been coming for a while for us tbh. Bar the Dundalk game which was actually a good solid display, we've been playing terribly for a good few games now. Bohs and Pats both should have beaten us at the Cross yet somehow we kept managing to pick up wins

While I agree we have been mostly poor in games, those home games weren't the bigger problem and I wouldn't agree we deserved to lose them even though we weren't great, the bigger problem has been away from home. 1 point from away games at Waterford, Dundalk, Rovers, Limerick is pretty poor and that must be addressed. There's too much talent in the team to not take on teams away from home. Tweaks like not playing players out of position (McNamee) and bringing back in Beattie will give better balance to the team. Cummins needs to be a better option up front as well or he should be put under pressure for his place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

McNamee has to be played centrally, having him anywhere else simply unbalanced things.
    Hopefully that won't be happening again in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

dfx- wrote: »
    What's the aggregate score for Pats in Dundalk since last season?

16-0 I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Shels through to the next round of the LSC after beating Athlone 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I always thought a midfield 3 of Aaron Bolger,G Bolger & Finn would be best for Rovers from seeing them in pre-season.

Greg Bolger cannot play in a 2 anymore way too slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

dan1895 wrote: »
    Shels through to the next round of the LSC after beating Athlone 1-0.

One would think an unneccessary burden that Heary keeps on playing half decent teams in the LSC and League Cup.... Should be aiming to get turfed out of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

As said above Bohs yet again the better team last night but can't make the chances count. Absolutely excellent build up play but just let down with the final bit of a quailty, only thing we can take away from it is we never let the heads drop when we go behind. Dylan Watts is exceptional, sad to think he will 100% be gone next season but I'm sure he will play for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Starting Sadlier and McNamee (out of position) away from home was always going to be a mistake and so it proved. Dropping our 2 hardest working players from Friday in Keohane and Shep also proved to be a mistake. Sadlier should be nowhere near the first team on "current" form. Truth is, he simply has not performed since coming from Sligo. The has the odd touch here and there, but aside from that he is a really bad player. he agent is touting him around saying a number of Championship clubs are after him. Well off with ya. Thanks for the cup final winning penalty though.

Seems Bradley is very much in Caulfields head.

Anyway, 2nd on inferior goal difference is nothing to be ashamed of. We have Limerick at home Saturday afternoon, so hopefully last night can be banished immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Interesting to read that Greg Bolger had a great game.

At the Brandywell last week he was head and shoulders above the others on the pitch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

sugarman wrote: »
    Incredible performance tonight, the back 4 has really made the difference in the last 2 games with Lopez and O'Brien coming in. Much more settled, calm and composed on the ball. It shows too with Horgan in flying form whenever he has an organized defense in front of him. Hopefully we wont have to see another minute of Gilchrist now, Luke Byrne to a lesser extent. Dropping Miele too will hopefully give him the kick up the hole he needs.

Still feel Bradley is on borrowed time all the same unless he can get a consistent run of results from here on in but thats been his biggest problem from the start.

If Rovers can play at home every week and ideally only 70 minutes against a side in red and black, that would be great. Horgan may have done well, but it's a game closer to Mannus thankfully. If Bradley continues to use the first round of fixtures to 'try out' new players, especially defenders, it will not end well. He's kind of stuck at left back with Clarke out though in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

This student here gets into the Markets Field for €8 or €10 through buying online.

They'll have to start paying fans soon to turn up, attendance for Derry 706 (I think) and going by a lad the attendance for the two games prior to that were maybe less but no attendance given at those games and now the only supporters group talking about possible away games only by some of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

They'll have to start paying fans soon to turn up, attendance for Derry 706 (I think) and going by a lad the attendance for the two games prior to that were maybe less but no attendance given at those games and now the only supporters group talking about possible away games only by some of them.

Do you think ye will bring many to Turner's Cross on Saturday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

This Midweek fixture madness needs to stop. Twice we have played Waterford on a Monday night. Credit to the Waterford fans that travelled yesterday, actually had big numbers but if the game was played on a Friday night we easily could've got another 600 through the gate. Rovers and Cork aswel on a Monday, how much did that affect the attendance? Derry away to Limerick on a Monday, like try regionalise it, play Pats v Bohs on the monday where attendance won't be affected too much , it's ridiculous.

Lets hope a proper discussion is had at the end of the season and all the relevant people involved in the game here are consulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

major bill wrote: »
    This Midweek fixture madness needs to stop. Twice we have played Waterford on a Monday night. Credit to the Waterford fans that travelled yesterday, actually had big numbers but if the game was played on a Friday night we easily could've got another 600 through the gate. Rovers and Cork aswel on a Monday, how much did that affect the attendance? Derry away to Limerick on a Monday, like try regionalise it, play Pats v Bohs on the monday where attendance won't be affected too much , it's ridiculous.

Lets hope a proper discussion is had at the end of the season and all the relevant people involved in the game here are consulted.

I could be wrong but is it do with the fact clubs would have to pay for an extra 4-6 weeks wages for the players? I agree with you though, even looking at next week a cup game in Dundalk I know I myself and many others won't make the trip due to work.

I could be wrong but is it do with the fact clubs would have to pay for an extra 4-6 weeks wages for the players? I agree with you though, even looking at next week a cup game in Dundalk I know I myself and many others won't make the trip due to work.

Think it was part of it as well as facilitating the break and the teams in europe should matches be re-arranged but looking at the latter half of the season, Bohs have 1 home game in August and September. makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Whatever about cup matches midweek, there’s no excuse for not have the LOI matches on a regional basis. If we must have midweek matches. This year: Sligo/Derry, City/Limerick, Waterford/Bray and Rovers, Bohs, Pats Dundalk ,(possibly Pats/Rovers , Bohs/Dundalk)

I think Bohs are in a false position going by their performances to date, I also think even at this stage know who the top 5 will be, very hard to see Pats breaking the top 5.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

joeysoap wrote: »
    I think Bohs are in a false position going by their performances to date

We've played some nice football but have been ****e in front of either goal. Nice passing is no use if we can't defend or put the ball in the net. If we don't sort that out we'll still be down there come the end of the season.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Dundalk goals

https://mobile.twitter.com/SoccRepublic/status/991251874610335744/video/1

Clarke had a great match , probably had the first goal covered until the deflection.

Last post today but I couldn’t resist (cut and paste from Daily Mirror)

ST PATRICK'S ATHLETIC FC

League of Ireland soccer club who play at Richmond Park in Dundalk. Founded in 1929, they've won the title eight times...........

. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

joeysoap wrote: »
    Dundalk goals

https://mobile.twitter.com/SoccRepublic/status/991251874610335744/video/1

Clarke had a great match , probably had the first goal covered until the deflection.

There was no danger in the first shot. Very cruel deflection. He pulled off some great saves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What issues do they have with the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Pats, just like their pals up in Phibsboro were saving themselves for Friday to give Rovers a beating.Beyond me why themselves and Bohs cant raise their games when theyre playing Dundalk etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

damemcd wrote: »
    Pats, just like their pals up in Phibsboro were saving themselves for Friday to give Rovers a beating.Beyond me why themselves and Bohs cant raise their games when theyre playing Dundalk etc

Two words.

Cup. Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

damemcd wrote: »

If only Rovers could raise their game against other sides and not just against the champions....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Nice thread here in After Hours about a Dad bringing his kid to their first ever game last night. It was Sligo Rovers vs Bray. Most people are surprisingly really supportive, thought it would have loads of LOI is sh*te merchants crowing from their barstools. Kid sounds hooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Omackeral wrote: »
    Nice thread here in After Hours about a Dad bringing his kid to their first ever game last night. It was Sligo Rovers vs Bray. Most people are surprisingly really supportive, thought it would have loads of LOI is sh*te merchants crowing from their barstools. Kid sounds hooked.

Your first live game of football always sticks with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Yeah, if we could just send Duffer out to talk about his under15s, de dawn chorus and telling pushy parents to piss off wed be a lot better.....and give de lads on here less entertainment........ Get Bradser out to call de bingo in de Foxes Covert instead.Though in fairness he had them set up well last, for de last time , for our final..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Do you think ye will bring many to Turner's Cross on Saturday?

At a guess I'd say not, there's local matches that morning with school boys and junior matches fixed for that evening. 2pm kick off probably rules out quite a few people also and the fact we're ****e.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

https://twitter.com/SoccRepublic/status/991313554988027904

We will need a separate Burke Goal of the Season Competition at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

NIMAN wrote: »

Unless you're a year old.... :(

NIMAN wrote: »

Sure does!! Shels v Bohs... FAI Cup final Tolka park in 2000 on a lovely day.

Been nothing but loads of misery mixed in with some joy ever since :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Unless you're a year old.... :(
    You were wearing your red jumper, remember?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    If only Rovers could raise their game against other sides and not just against the champions....

They did!

Against Dundalk .

But needed 3 weeks recovery after it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead wrote: »
    I like Duffy but he is not a patch on Horgan. I know he wasn't with us that long in the grand scheme of things but Daryl will go down in history as one of our greats.
    I may have to reassess this if young Michael keeps up this sensational form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Pighead wrote: »
    I may have to reassess this if young Michael keeps up this sensational form.

Why didn’t he play down in Cork last Friday if he’s in such form?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

MrMac84 wrote: »

Duffy was one of our better players last Friday

MrMac84 wrote: »

Not easy on the Turner Cross pitch. Looks poor. From highlights he looked dangerous on Friday.

Best player in the league alongside Burke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Bradley cant help himself can he. People jumped on the results because rovers are the biggest team in the country. Just invites criticism

Bradley cant help himself can he. People jumped on the results because rovers are the biggest team in the country. Just invites criticism

Saying the bolded bit can very easily lead to the underlined bit, I would agree there.

Anytime thats mentioned I always think of this gem

Graham Byrne could be a big loss to Dundalk, depending on how quickly they replace him (and who with)

http://www.the42.ie/graham-byrne-dundalk-3988170-May2018/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Duffy was one of our better players last Friday

Wooosh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

But, is he wrong? They've won the most Leagues and FAI Cups, they haven't won the latter in 31 years and still have 14 more than the second most successful side in the competition.
    I'm a Limerick man and if you were to ask me who the biggest club are I'd answer Rovers without hesitation.
    It's not like they're Liverpool and haven't won anything in a million years.

But, is he wrong? They've won the most Leagues and FAI Cups, they haven't won the latter in 31 years and still have 14 more than the second most successful side in the competition.
    I'm a Limerick man and if you were to ask me who the biggest club are I'd answer Rovers without hesitation.
    It's not like they're Liverpool and haven't won anything in a million years.

But they are not the biggest team in the country and haven’t been for years! Having a rich history doesn’t equal biggest team in the country and they are miles off returning to their former glory! In the 20 years I’ve supported the league they have won it twice and have been largely average in the majority of that time!

• Advertisement

I know Rovers are doing poor but there attendances are quite poor for being the biggest in Ireland.

Bohs getting similar crowds to them & there struggling this season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement