Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

But, is he wrong? They've won the most Leagues and FAI Cups, they haven't won the latter in 31 years and still have 14 more than the second most successful side in the competition.
    I'm a Limerick man and if you were to ask me who the biggest club are I'd answer Rovers without hesitation.
    It's not like they're Liverpool and haven't won anything in a million years.

I would say he is wrong. Liverpool are actually a good comparison as their last trophy was in 11/12 the same time rovers last won the league/cup.

There are 2 factors for me - recent success and crowd size. On these cork and Dundalk are the top 2.

But even if we were to agree they are the biggest team the point is that him bringing this up as soon as he got his first win in a few weeks just invited people to criticize him more. He gets a lot of remarks still about his cup final comment and now any team that they face will be looking to beat " the biggest team in the league"

He does other managers team talks for them every week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

As a Dundalk supporter I know that we are not the biggest club. All things considered, including population, Dundalk are punching above their weight. And not just now, for many decades different Dundalk teams have performed brilliantly on the field at home and in Europe. Jim McLaughlin won 3 leagues and 3 cups, Dundalk were the first Irish club to win away in Europe (1963).

We are not the biggest club, but pound for pound probably the best. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

In a shop earlier today and a group of children ask me:
    'Who do you support?'
    I replied, 'Limerick FC'.
    They answered, 'No, who do you support in proper soccer, like Liverpool.' :D:D

Got a good laugh out of it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

In a shop earlier today and a group of children ask me:
    'Who do you support?'
    I replied, 'Limerick FC'.
    They answered, 'No, who do you support in proper soccer, like Liverpool.' :D:D

Got a good laugh out of it now!

I think it's sad more than anything. That these children are raised without any concept of proper football fandom. Thinking that football is nothing more than a television show, where the players are as good as fictional characters, that they'll rarely if ever get to see in the flesh. Not realising that it's normal or "proper" to actually go to matches.

At least when it's some lad in his 30s spouting rubbish, you can just dismiss him as a gob****e. When it's a bunch of young lads, though, it's just sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Could be a stupid question but is there any chance of grabbing tickets for the Rovers end at Richmond tomorrow? Or do they have to be bought from Tallaght Stadium? I'll probably end up just sitting in with the Pats fans if so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The thing is in primary school kids want to copy and imitate stars. When I went to primary I don't recall anyone wearing LOI jerseys. I saw one or two by the time I got to secondary, but the majority of us primary kids were into Liverpool, United, Villa (this was when they had a strong Irish contingent with McGrath, Staunton, Townsend), Arsenal and Celtic. I remember lads with Leeds jerseys too.

When I was a kid I was drawn to Mark Hughes who became my favourite player. He seemed like a real warrior and scored screamers from outside the box nearly every week. It was easy to find posters of him in magazines like Match and Shoot. I could play him in computer games. It wasn't hard to develop an association with him or United when they have that sort of marketing pull.

It's almost impossible for the LOI to make stars because if someone standout comes along then they will soon be poached by an English club. I can see why a young kid is going to be drawn towards someone like a Pogba or a Salah as they seem larger than life. These are the names that kids will want to have on their jerseys, whose boots they will want to buy because they wear them etc. The LOI can't really compete with that kind of marketing power.

It's even going the same way with the national team nowadays. When I was a kid guys like McGrath, Keane, Irwin, Quinn, Aldridge, Houghton were big names playing in big teams. Who would be a star for the Irish team nowadays that kids could get behind? Coleman? Pretty slim options really.

What I'd like to know is are rugby players proving popular with kids nowdays? When I went to school only one lad played the sport and no one had any interest in the players. This was in the 90s when the team wasn't doing anything. Has the success of the team in the past 15 odd years led to youngsters putting them on a pedestal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

The thing is in primary school kids want to copy and imitate stars. When I went to primary I don't recall anyone wearing LOI jerseys. I saw one or two by the time I got to secondary, but the majority of us primary kids were into Liverpool, United, Villa (this was when they had a strong Irish contingent with McGrath, Staunton, Townsend), Arsenal and Celtic. I remember lads with Leeds jerseys too.

When I was a kid I was drawn to Mark Hughes who became my favourite player. He seemed like a real warrior and scored screamers from outside the box nearly every week. It was easy to find posters of him in magazines like Match and Shoot. I could play him in computer games. It wasn't hard to develop an association with him or United when they have that sort of marketing pull.

It's almost impossible for the LOI to make stars because if someone standout comes along then they will soon be poached by an English club. I can see why a young kid is going to be drawn towards someone like a Pogba or a Salah as they seem larger than life. These are the names that kids will want to have on their jerseys, whose boots they will want to buy because they wear them etc. The LOI can't really compete with that kind of marketing power.

It's even going the same way with the national team nowadays. When I was a kid guys like McGrath, Keane, Irwin, Quinn, Aldridge, Houghton were big names playing in big teams. Who would be a star for the Irish team nowadays that kids could get behind? Coleman? Pretty slim options really.

What I'd like to know is are rugby players proving popular with kids nowdays? When I went to school only one lad played the sport and no one had any interest in the players. This was in the 90s when the team wasn't doing anything. Has the success of the team in the past 15 odd years led to youngsters putting them on a pedestal?

Well I can tell you from our success over last few years, more kids/teenagers are out and about the town in Dundalk gear and not British sides gear, it’s greaf to see.

Glancing at upcoming fixtures, I notice Dundalk are due to play Waterford in the league again on 21st May. This isn’t a rearranged fixture. I find that odd. Just noticed, all this weeks matches are on again in 3 weeks.

With only 10 clubs matches come around quick enough but 3 weeks ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Well I can tell you from our success over last few years, more kids/teenagers are out and about the town in Dundalk gear and not British sides gear, it’s greaf to see.

Haven't lived in Dundalk in over ten years but any time I'm back visiting family I'm shocked by the amount of gear that people are wearing especially kids. It's fashionable to wear Dundalk gear where in the past seeing someone in Dundalk hat or jacket and people would be wondering who the oddball was.

Only other place I've seen like that is Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Cork City is rife with City gear. Tracksuits, jerseys etc. go to the academy of any local club and you’ll allways see young lads training in City gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Inchicore is rife with tracksuits and gear

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Omackeral wrote: »

Had to be done, well played :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

joeysoap wrote: »
    Glancing at upcoming fixtures, I notice Dundalk are due to play Waterford in the league again on 21st May. This isn’t a rearranged fixture. I find that odd. Just noticed, all this weeks matches are on again in 3 weeks.

With only 10 clubs matches come around quick enough but 3 weeks ?

Possible to do with Europe, those fixtures should be played the weekend of July 16th but there's no game down for that week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The Irish team being successful... the Irish bandwagon way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

True but kids get a lot of their influence from their parents too. I would be willing to bet none of those kids have ever been to a LOI game with their parents. But they will have been in the house each weekend with them cheering on an English side.

I was at a Dundalk friendly where Sam Byrne got a hat trick and there was a young kid that ran down as the players were leaving the pitch and he got a high five of Byrne. Made the kids day which is great to see.

And this is Sam Byrne who while hopefully will come good has so far managed about 15 mins of league time for dundalk so far. Heros/stars are a lot easier to build when you witness them for yourself

giphy.gif

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Cork City is rife with City gear. Tracksuits, jerseys etc. go to the academy of any local club and you’ll allways see young lads training in City gear.

Great to see. Been a few years since I've been to Cork on non match days. Seen plenty of GAA gear on those occasions but no Cork City stuff. I'm delighted it has changed. I'd say being a members own club and the feel good around the club over the past few years has helped a good bit.

The quality of the gear being sold by clubs helps a lot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Could be a stupid question but is there any chance of grabbing tickets for the Rovers end at Richmond tomorrow? Or do they have to be bought from Tallaght Stadium? I'll probably end up just sitting in with the Pats fans if so.

Try the away entrance when you get there tonight. There is usually tickets for sale on the night although for the away end I'd get there fairly early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Sean Maguire made a big impact on making CCFC "fashionable" with kids. A superstar on your doorstep who was always scoring goals. Man I miss him :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

The Irish team being successful... the Irish bandwagon way.

Every team in the world attracts more fans the more successful they get, it’s not a particularly Irish thing.

• Advertisement

bot43 wrote: »
    Sean Maguire made a big impact on making CCFC "fashionable" with kids. A superstar on your doorstep who was always scoring goals. Man I miss him :(

Good point. Having a star in your team also helps. We had it with Towell and Horgan. Duffy has been excellent for us so far but hasn't reached that level yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Every team in the world attracts more fans the more successful they get, it’s not a particularly Irish thing.

We have a knack to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Pay at the gate. Thats what we're doing.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Crazy end to the first half in Waterford.

Akinade always scores against Dundalk.

Ref doing Dundalk no favours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

:D brilliant!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Interesting results tonight. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Bray 2-1 Derry
    Pats 2-0 Rovers
    Waterford 2-1 Dundalk

Would have got good odds on that treble.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Ah look they're crowing again :D

Mad injury time cost us. Cert of a peno not given and poor finishing cost us a point at least (although waterford had their chances).

Move onto next Friday, long season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

what happened to Stephen O Donnell?

Looked horrible, Hoban puked and Mountany n Duffy were in tears according to Twitter.

Knee injury, different knee to the one he done in 2014 but dosnt look good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Mad injury time cost us. Cert of a peno not given and poor finishing cost us a point at least (although waterford had their chances).

Move onto next Friday, long season

Hate to break it to you but he dived.

Hate to break it to you but he dived.

According to few journos and Waterford fans after game they thought it was a peno

• Advertisement

Went up with Aborah for a bouncing ball and looked like he landed awkwardly. Reaction of the players to it was very worrying. Hope he gets better soon, he was a big loss to Dundalk.

According to few journos and Waterford fans after game they thought it was a peno

We will hopefully find out when we see the highlights. Looked a dive to me. With regards to journalists they are situated at the press box at the top of the old stand, they wouldn't have had a good view.

I'd also like to say that was a fantastic game of ball tonight in the RSC. Dundalk like ourselves are great to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

It was a decent game.

Akinade 2 goals will be a confidence boost for him.

Dundalk missed quite a few chances especially Hoban & Benson.
    Duffy was a threat all night may have had a penalty in the 2nd half too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Think I read somewhere earlier that no top 5 team has won away to another top 5 team this season yet. Not sure on it's 100% accuracy but there hasn't been many definitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Very worrying when you hear of hoban and others reaction to O'Donnell. Hope he recovers.

A game of football actually broke out in Finn Park. McCourt came on at half time and was sublime for 25mins and turned the game. He broke down then and had to go off unfortunately.

Corholio wrote: »
    Think I read somewhere earlier that no top 5 team has won away to another top 5 team this season yet. Not sure on it's 100% accuracy but there hasn't been many definitely.

That will change next week when the blues go to Tallaght.

Dundalk have far too many wides in every match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Not a good game in Inchicore and very few chances for either team. Sending off ruined the game for Rovers and it looked like the first pats goal was an own goal but it seems to be somehow credited to Kevin Toner. Can't blame Bradley as it was individual errors that let them down tonight, Massive turnaround from the performance on Monday night. Red card, own goal and penalty just about sums it up.

League has been very hard to predict lately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Micheal Duffy simulating?! :pac:
    Derek Tomney had allowed the game to flow and was excellent up to that moment.
    Both sides were excellent tonight but i thought Dundalk were the better side.
    Benson & Hoban guilty of missing some gilt edged opportunities.

Huge mistake by Rogers for the 1st Waterford goal.Got abused then by some so called Dundalk fans who :( Forgot about the many times Gary saved us it seems.:(

Good match,both sides went for itl,Waterford won,on to v Sligo in the league next week and hopefully a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

That will change next week when the blues go to Tallaght.
    That'd probably put Shams into 6th though, so don't know how that works. There is no "top 5". Anyone from Derry to Bohs could yet finish 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

CCFC have to take advantages of last nights results today. Presumably with long balls and by sssaulting Limerick players and staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

joeysoap wrote: »
    Ref doing Dundalk no favours.

Don’t think he’s meant to.....

bot43 wrote: »
    CCFC have to take advantages of last nights results today. Presumably with long balls and by sssaulting Limerick players and staff.

And JC Assaulting players also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Seeing as how we beat Bray, and Bray beat Rovers, and Rovers beat Cork, then by the law of conkers, we are absolutely sorted for today's game in Cork.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement