Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Don’t think he’s meant to.....

:)

League has been very hard to predict lately!

Cork beat Dundalk
    Rovers beat Cork
    Dundalk beat Pats
    Pats beat Rovers

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Shocking result for us at Bray, but listening to it on the radio, it appears we got what we deserved.

Never thought our unbeaten run would end to Bray. But hey, football is a funny old game.

Hopefully will shake the team up a bit. Roll on Shels on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

It has been confirmed that Dundalk FC captain Stephen O'Donnell broke his tibia last night and will undergo surgery over the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

wadacrack wrote: »
    It has been confirmed that Dundalk FC captain Stephen O'Donnell broke his tibia last night and will undergo surgery over the weekend

Did anyone actually see what happened? From where I was sitting it looked like he just might have fell badly and nobody has suggested it was Aborah. I know o Donnell got the foul but it like an aerial foul rather than anything else? Wish him all the best and hopefully he comes back soon.

IMO Broken Tibia= end of a magnificent career. Can’t see him back in a Dundalk shirt this year. Two big injuries in a fortnight (Gannon). Stephen was injury prone for the past few years.

Big squad but those are serious losses.

Would Stephen go into management?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

O'Donnell will be back.

2-1 Cork. O'Sullivan missed a sitter for Limerick.
    Great play from Sadlier & another goal in the air for Cork from O'Hanlon.

Such a poor team on the floor but so dangerous in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

What's the story with Adebayo-Rowling at Cork? Not even in squads now. Is he still with the club? Just injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Did anyone actually see what happened? From where I was sitting it looked like he just might have fell badly and nobody has suggested it was Aborah. I know o Donnell got the foul but it like an aerial foul rather than anything else? Wish him all the best and hopefully he comes back soon.

From what I saw, both went for a bouncing ball. O'Donnell got there before Aborah, and Aborah caught O'Donnell on the leg. The ref was over straight away to book Aborah for it.

None of the Dundalk players went to challenge Aborah about it, so I guess they thought it wasn't malicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

MD1990 wrote: »
    O'Donnell will be back.

Great pass by billy dennehy leading to the 2nd goal for city 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

joeysoap wrote: »
    As a Dundalk supporter I know that we are not the biggest club. All things considered, including population, Dundalk are punching above their weight. And not just now, for many decades different Dundalk teams have performed brilliantly on the field at home and in Europe. Jim McLaughlin won 3 leagues and 3 cups, Dundalk were the first Irish club to win away in Europe (1963).

We are not the biggest club, but pound for pound probably the best. :)

i wonder what will happen when kenny leaves? will dundalk continue to play such attractive football. i hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

What's the story with Adebayo-Rowling at Cork? Not even in squads now. Is he still with the club? Just injured?

From what I see he is about 4th choice right full.

That was a horribly poor game but we are 3 points clear despite not playing well at all this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

joeysoap wrote: »

Would Stephen go into management?

Refereeing I'd imagine

McMillian scored for St. Johnstone his first appearance in about 3 months.

bot43 wrote: »
    From what I see he is about 4th choice right full.
    Some good choices he's made. He was linked with a league to the premier league two seasons ago. He'd do well to stay in football now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

The rumour at the RSC last night was that it was his knee. If that had been the case then he might well have been finished but a leg break is more straightforward recovery that a knee ligament tear. I expect he'll be back but it'll be interesting to see what level he can get back to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Some good choices he's made. He was linked with a league to the premier league two seasons ago. He'd do well to stay in football now.

He had scouts over from Palace watching him and had a legitimate shot at being called up by Nigeria for a friendly so their manager could see what he had.

He's made a balls of a promising career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jaysus was he ever really THAT good? He seemed to think he was the best in his head alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Oat23 wrote: »
    He had scouts over from Palace watching him and had a legitimate shot at being called up by Nigeria for a friendly so their manager could see what he had.

He's made a balls of a promising career.
    at least he has his movie career to fall back on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

pjohnson wrote: »
    Jaysus was he ever really THAT good? He seemed to think he was the best in his head alright.

First season he was very good. He was only 19 and moved to Rovers by choice asking for his Posh contract to be cancelled. Wasn't that mad to see some scouts from England coming over to see him.

It went to his head and well we all know about his second season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I get the impression he loves the trappings of being a footballer without actually being a footballer. I’ll be surprised if he is still with us come July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

MD1990 wrote: »
    O'Donnell will be back.

Seems to be a very recurring theme with O'Sullivan, think every game he's played he's only had one or two chances with one being a sitter and he fluffs it. If we can't find a goal scorer in the summer there's no hope of us staying up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Delighted to get the win over Shams last night. We've played better football this season but its fantastic to get the three points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Anyone know what the Bohs banner said tonight?

I was just studying the league table, and if we had won last night v Bray, as we were expected to do, and then won our game in hand, we'd have been 2nd.

Its defeats like this that can play a bit part in how your season turns out.

But then again, I suppose every team will lose a game or two this season they expect to win. Thats the nature of the game. Just hard to take it when you lose with no fight whatsoever.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I was just studying the league table, and if we had won last night v Bray, as we were expected to do, and then won our game in hand, we'd have been 2nd.

Its defeats like this that can play a bit part in how your season turns out.

And wins when your not playing particularly well can also also decide how the season turns out. Cork have not played great against Sligo, Bohs, Pats and Limerick.
    But won all 4 matches. You can’t get better than that.

Yeah true, when we were on our unbeaten run there were matches I have no idea how we got points from them.

Especially the Pats televised game!

Seems to be a very recurring theme with O'Sullivan, think every game he's played he's only had one or two chances with one being a sitter and he fluffs it. If we can't find a goal scorer in the summer there's no hope of us staying up.

He should have done better but it wasn’t a sitter. He was on the pitch a matter of moments, Bennett made an error, but as Sull was going through McNulty closed him well and Bennett recovered well to make Sullivan kind of snap at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

BOHtox wrote: »
    Anyone know what the Bohs banner said tonight?

It said Bohs and Proud. Great atmosphere in our end and the first goal from Danny Grant was a peach. Super result for Bohs away from home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Omackeral wrote: »
    It said Bohs and Proud. Great atmosphere in our end and the first goal from Danny Grant was a peach. Super result for Bohs away from home

Our home form is shocking, your lad took his goals well in fairness, but bad mistakes from us again have cost us,
    At least he is giving a few young lads a run in the team and they are playing well
    Serious questions need to be asked about our recruitment, we have nothing going forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Poor game on Friday - back to the old Shels were we sit back and concede in the dying minutes of a game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

That was an absolute cracker to poach it against Galway tonight. Dont know if it was it being 93rd minute, being held back in the end up, deevers needing it or being against his old club but some joy in that celebration.
    McCourt with a beauty of a pass too. Worth a look, on harps fb page. Another massive 15 minute cameo by him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Mountney picked up a knee injury for dundalk last night. The injuries are starting to pile up now. Looks like the squad depth will be tested

Big blow Mountney has been brillant this season.

Connolly done well last night but needs to perform consistently not every few months.

He is best on the left but Duffy is a much better player he plays there. Unless Duffy was moved into the centre behind Hoban.

At least Mountney was able to walk off. I hope it’s not too bad an injury, Gannon and O’Donnell are big losses. Mountney gives lots of options when he plays.

I thought the young lads did brilliant last night, especially Gavin Smith and Pablo Calvacante. I thought young Smith looked comfortable in defence and Calvacante was outstanding. Georgie Poynton is better than a reserve player. The injurys are starting to pile up now, ( Chvedukas and Adorjan are also missing) so every first team player has a part to play.

Graham Burke called up to the Rep of Ireland National Team. Well deserved it has to be said.

Provisional squad here

If it wasn't for the meaningless friendly would he have been called up? Doubt it when they mention that players will drop out of the squad once the Celtic match is over.

I dunno but if he networks properly and leaves a good impression while there it could make the boss have a closer look next time.

• Advertisement

Good to see. Hopefully more young players over in England will start to see the benefits of coming home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Actually a little bit shocked at that but fairplay to the guy. Been banging in some crackers this season.

Does it, I see it more as here's a bone now sit back down and be quiet ye peasants. During Maguires white hot run at the start of the 2017 season even O'Neill said Maguire didn't play that well when he watched him.

Now I'm not one who thinks LOI players should be playing for Ireland because the level isn't competitive enough but do believe that the top few young players should be brought into national squads to train with the senior players and improve before moving to England.

Being in and around the senior players will help improve some of the young lads here. But Burke will get a half hour if he's lucky and then O'Neill can turn around and say sure I called him up now be quiet, like when Rodgers was getting the token 3rd keeper spot when Dundalk was playing well in Europe.

If this leads to more players being brought up to be looked at then all well and good but only for the testimonial imo he wouldn't have gotten a call up or the aul call up to a 40 man squad and then dropped before the squad meets up.

Being in and around the senior players will help improve some of the young lads here. But Burke will get a half hour if he's lucky and then O'Neill can turn around and say sure I called him up now be quiet

Well he's been called up for this squad which is for three games, albeit it one of them vs Celtic, so that's 3 games he'll be in and around ''senior'' players. Nobody really is looking for token inclusions by the way, why would we want that? It would just show us up. Only fellas who are properly good enough or are there on merit should get a shout. Burke has been outstanding this season, as much as I hate Rovers, so I wouldn't say he doesn't deserve an invite. It's a provisional squad for a few friendlies, don't see the need for the overly negative response tbh.

Well he's been called up for this squad which is for three games, albeit it one of them vs Celtic, so that's 3 games he'll be in and around ''senior'' players. Nobody really is looking for token inclusions by the way, why would we want that? It would just show us up. Only fellas who are properly good enough or are there on merit should get a shout. Burke has been outstanding this season, as much as I hate Rovers, so I wouldn't say he doesn't deserve an invite. It's a provisional squad for a few friendlies, don't see the need for the overly negative response tbh.

From the website:

[Some players will drop out of the squad after the Celtic game on Sunday, May 20 in Celtic Park, while others will only report into camp ahead of the trip to Paris to take on France on Monday, May 28 in Stade de France and the home game against the United States on June 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Well done to Burke, hope it's a great experience for him.
    Only fellas who are properly good enough or are there on merit should get a shout.

I genuinely don't think it is possible to judge this based on the standard of LOI.

but as you say, it's a provisional squad, so why not.

• Advertisement

Burke is very talented.

But I am surprised he has made the squad even a 40 man squad. For me he is a bit too slow for International football. Not that you have to quick but Burke is very slow. But technically very good.

Aaron McEneff would be the next LOI player worthy of a call up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I wouldn't say slow so much. The 'problem' I'd see with Burke is that he can drift out of games and look anonymous, especially second half.

That would leave a bad impression if you're not used to what he can contribute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Delighted for him and great to see.......but if ONeill had been down in Richmond on Friday he wouldnt have been impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

just two thing re the squad. I see o dowda is in the squad, he hasnt played much this season for bristol city, was he injured or what?

surprised to see glen whelan still in the squad, he did a job breaking up play when needed in the past but very surprised he hasnt retired from international football yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

As a League of Ireland fan I'm delighted for Burke, as an Ireland fan I am unsure if he will ever be good enough to play regularly at international level. We'll see how he gets on I guess. One thing I will say is that Ireland could really do with a player like Burke who is capable of playing off the main striker and producing a bit of magic in the final third, there is a real excitement whenever he gets the ball within 30 yards of goal for Rovers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement