Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

wadacrack wrote: »
    Wexford Youth have signed Paul Murphy from North End United. Used to play with Ipswich.

Jonny Bonner is also back for next year, very decent player. Also signed Matt Connor from Waterford, young goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Derry will either forfeit home advantage for the last few home games of this season or player elsehwere, if they in a relegation fight i think they should use Finn Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Derry will either forfeit home advantage for the last few home games of this season or player elsehwere, if they in a relegation fight i think they should use Finn Park.

Imagine Derry beating Harps "at home" in Finn Park at the end of the season if they were going head to head to stay up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Any murmurs of when the 1st Division fixtures will be out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Any murmurs of when the 1st Division fixtures will be out?
    last week in January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Imagine Derry beating Harps "at home" in Finn Park at the end of the season if they were going head to head to stay up.
    we have 2 home legs against them and play them first in each round of games.... despite kenny shiels moaning as looking for it to be reversed... he said it was unfair and they needed the gate :rolleyes: had submitted a request to the fai and all

on a serious note i dont know if our pitch could actually hold up to two teams playing on it. the u19s/17s regularly get moved to protect it. god we need the new stadium... announcement coming, but heard that before. Hopefully with the promotion there is a bit of renewed pressure to give the grant money

Dykes (and of course his son) was at harps training earlier in the week. He also has ryan mcmanus with him from Sligo. Anyone know much about him? Sean houston, Richard Brush also there.
    Still some hope we can bring Keating and Martin in but I doubt it. Martin to Sligo was announced on ballinamallards website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

overshoot wrote: »
    Dykes (and of course his son) was at harps training earlier in the week. He also has ryan mcmanus with him from Sligo. Anyone know much about him? Sean houston, Richard Brush also there.
    Still some hope we can bring Keating and Martin in but I doubt it. Martin to Sligo was announced on ballinamallards website

your welcome to all of them

your welcome to all of them

Yeadont see the point in signing Jake dykes. Seen him a few times and not on a par with last years defence which has already been added to.... Like Roddy jnr tho I guess he comes with his dad. Brush will be grand backup to Gallagher, id be happy with him as we had been relying on our u19 keeper last year. McManus is the only one I havnt a clue about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Had a funny joke but North stole it.

Jason Byrne signed for UCD.

Jason Byrne surprised he is still playing. Think his time is up tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Chasing the goals record.. Should first division goals count?

howiya wrote: »
    Chasing the goals record.. Should first division goals count?

Pat Morley says no :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Well he always seemed to score against us so may as well see if he can score for us.
    Cathal Brady and Brian Shorthall have also signed.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bray recently announced a partnership with schoolboy club St. Josephs. Suffice to say, the club they were previously associated with weren't happy
    Statement from Ardmore Rovers Executive in relation to the end of our football partnership with Bray Wanderers FC.

On December 31st 2015, our football agreement and partnership with Bray Wanderers FC ended and will not be renewed. Bray Wanderers recently announced a 5 year partnership agreement with St. Joseph’s Boys Club FC which takes effect on February 1st 2016 and in effect makes them the club’s exclusive schoolboy partner and ends our 12 month involvement with Bray Wanderers FC.

Ardmore Rovers is a community based football club and it has been a vibrant part of Bray’s sporting community for over 37 years. More than 100 volunteers, providing more than 10,000 community hours, currently run Ardmore Rovers; we have 535 playing members and 32 teams competing in the DDSL. Our club entered the partnership agreement under the provision that a community based club would materialise and under the premise that the management and officers of Bray Wanderers FC were truly committed to developing football within Bray and its environs.

It would seem however this was never their intention, by April 2015 the Community project had stalled due to a number of well documented issues, at this time we informed the club management that we would concentrate solely on the terms of our football partnership. It is disappointing that over the 12 months of our partnership, other than an initial visit by 1st team players in January 2015, that we never once had a member of the Bray Wanderers coaching staff attend a club training session, give advice, discuss player’s development, coaching strategies or structures, with the aim of harnessing the potential within the club.

Looking back on the period of our “partnership”, it is now clear to this executive that Bray Wanderers FC have unashamedly used the good name of Ardmore Rovers to their financial and public advantage within the community. We entered this agreement in good faith and can honestly say that to the level best of our ability we did all that was asked from us and more for very little return. We actively promoted our relationship and ticket sales, provided half-time entertainment, worked with community groups and attended all meetings requested. Considering the circumstances, our visible and loyal support was a contributing factor to a successful season for Bray Wanderers FC despite all the high profile controversies.

Our goal now is to concentrate our efforts on realising our club development plan Ardmore 2020, which will see our club become the best version of itself and end our search for a permanent home. We will ask the people of the Bray area for their continued support to realise our goal. For more than 36years, Ardmore Rovers has used football to teach the children of our community social skills, how to win graciously, how to lose with dignity, how to be part of a team, how to look after your friends, how to ask for help when needed, how to give help when asked for and the values of honesty, loyalty, friendship, self-discipline, trust and respect. In that time our motto of “success through participation for all” has guided us successfully. We are confident in our club’s future within the community of Bray and look forward to concentrating on developing football in Bray for its future generations of players and on building on the strong community spirit which has been the bed rock of our club’s success. We go forward in great shape, in good hands and with great confidence.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Joeys >>>> Ardmore.....suck it noobs

Bray should release a statement on this :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Bray recently announced a partnership with schoolboy club St. Josephs. Suffice to say, the club they were previously associated with weren't happy

Previous to Ardmore Bray had an association with St. Josephs and they fell out over shillings, wonder how long it will last this time

21/25

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Is there a reason why all of Limerick's home games are at 6:30pm?

Is there a reason why all of Limerick's home games are at 6:30pm?

Didn't they pay at 6.30pm last season too? It's great to be honest, train back to Dublin after!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Didn't they pay at 6.30pm last season too? It's great to be honest, train back to Dublin after!

I think that's why it's at that time. Actually good planning you would say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Stuart Pearce signs for Longford AFC!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-35428976

Slightly off topic but is it a coincidence that both the club name and kit colour and design is similar to Longford Town? Anyone know anything about links between the 2 clubs?

Sorry if I'm in the wrong thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

And another today.
    https://twitter.com/sligorovers/status/692738966114693120

Still feel the same way I did a month ago. We could finish first or last with the team Robertson is putting together. Lots of unknowns (including Robertson himself). It could all end in disaster or it could be an amazing season if he knows what he is doing tactically and has discovered a few gems in the UK.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Oat23 wrote: »
    And another today.
    https://twitter.com/sligorovers/status/692738966114693120

Still feel the same way I did a month ago. We could finish first or last with the team Robertson is putting together. Lots of unknowns (including Robertson himself). It could all end in disaster or it could be an amazing season if he knows what he is doing tactically and has discovered a few gems in the UK.

That's fantastic. I mean, don't get me wrong, I know he's a player that few/nobody has heard of, but clubs loaning in players from Premier League clubs isn't something that's really happened before. It'd be a good way of trying to promote the league if more clubs could pull off those kind of deals.

I hope all Sligo's dealings work out for them though. It was a shame to see them where they were last season, I think.

Wilberto wrote: »
    That's fantastic. I mean, don't get me wrong, I know he's a player that few/nobody has heard of, but clubs loaning in players from Premier League clubs isn't something that's really happened before. It'd be a good way of trying to promote the league if more clubs could pull off those kind of deals.

I hope all Sligo's dealings work out for them though. It was a shame to see them where they were last season, I think.

I don't see how a player who's never played in the Premier League will promote the league.

If Sligo put together a good team, have a good year and he play's his part in it then it will promote the league in the town but not because he's come from West Ham

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Oat23 wrote: »

fixtures out, Rovers play three under 23 sides, a Ukrainian team, then 1860 Munich and lastly Argentina U-23s.

5 days after playing Argentina, they're scheduled to play Cabinteely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

howiya wrote: »
    I don't see how a player who's never played in the Premier League will promote the league.

If Sligo put together a good team, have a good year and he play's his part in it then it will promote the league in the town but not because he's come from West Ham

I'd disagree, how many people in this country had never heard of Cambuur fc until Jack Byrne went there?
    Then look at the Rovers friendly against Liverpool u21s, already a 1000+ tickets sold and we're still nearly 2 weeks frome the match. Conservatively there'll be at least 2500 at that game and that's against a bunch of player that the majority will never set foot on the Anfield pitch to play a senior game. Unfortunately, the Rovers will have to have a very successful season to see a crowd like that through the whole competitive season.
    If you put an EPL stamp on anything in this country people will pay money for it, why not tap into that market and make a name as a place where talent develops and EPL loanees are nurtured. If we could put particular attention on getting young Irish players on loan from English clubs all the better.

Any EPL side that sends a player over here sees no future for that player.

LOL the LOI preparing players for EPL football.....some people are mental.

I'd disagree, how many people in this country had never heard of Cambuur fc until Jack Byrne went there?
    Then look at the Rovers friendly against Liverpool u21s, already a 1000+ tickets sold and we're still nearly 2 weeks frome the match. Conservatively there'll be at least 2500 at that game and that's against a bunch of player that the majority will never set foot on the Anfield pitch to play a senior game. Unfortunately, the Rovers will have to have a very successful season to see a crowd like that through the whole competitive season.
    If you put an EPL stamp on anything in this country people will pay money for it, why not tap into that market and make a name as a place where talent develops and EPL loanees are nurtured. If we could put particular attention on getting young Irish players on loan from English clubs all the better.

They've also sent him on loan to Chelmsford City and Nuneaton Town. That's the level he's at. Not EPL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Some of the talk on Twitter is hilarious aswell, pre season is a funny ol time indeed.

You have to admire Sligo's consistency in looking outside the league the last decade or so, but I cant see this working out at all, theres too many new faces not used to LOI football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Then look at the Rovers friendly against Liverpool u21s, already a 1000+ tickets sold and we're still nearly 2 weeks frome the match. Conservatively there'll be at least 2500 at that game and that's against a bunch of player that the majority will never set foot on the Anfield pitch to play a senior game.
    Yeah, because it's Liverpool, a club with a massive following in Ireland. Fairly confident Bournemouth U21s would not attract the same level of interest.
    If you put an EPL stamp on anything in this country people will pay money for it...
    Didn't Sligo have an ex-Chelsea lad playing up front for them last year? How'd that work out?

284828.jpg

Ahhhh Joe.....ex arsenal.....

284828.jpg

Ahhhh Joe.....ex arsenal.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Kerry Gilbert played in the champions league proper.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

So EPL sides don't regularly send their best and brightest to lower league sides/continental sides low down the food chain?
    Jack Byrne isn't at a side fighting relegation in the eredevesie? John O'shea never spent time in the Belgian second tier with Royal Antwerp?
    Some people are absolutely clueless about the difference between academy and senior football.
    djpbarry wrote: »
    Didn't Sligo have an ex-Chelsea lad playing up front for them last year? How'd that work out?
    We had Morten Nielsen up front. A player who was at Chelsea because his father was a scout at the time. His father brought him along to a few clubs he was at and also acted as his agent, think Roddy Collins and Roddy Jr. Anyway he was 24 and wouldn't be the type of young player the league should be targeting to get on loan.

So EPL sides don't regularly send their best and brightest to lower league sides/continental sides low down the food chain?
    EPL sides absolutely do not send their “best and brightest” to the likes of the LOI, no, for the simple reason that LOI sides could not possibly hope to compete for such players.
    We had Morten Nielsen up front. A player who was at Chelsea because his father was a scout at the time.
    Were Chelsea fans out in their droves to catch a glimpse?

djpbarry wrote: »
    EPL sides absolutely do not send their “best and brightest” to the likes of the LOI, no, for the simple reason that LOI sides could not possibly hope to compete for such players.
    Were Chelsea fans out in their droves to catch a glimpse?

People came out in their droves to catch a glimpse of a crocked Damien Duff.
    Now the best and brightest are probably out of our grasp but partnerships and loan agreements with EPL sides should be explored.
    People in this country will go out in their droves to watch whatever make shift side EPL clubs can be bothered to send over. Why not try and at least give the impression the league has an EPL stamp of approval?

Jack Byrne isn't at a side fighting relegation in the eredevesie? John O'shea never spent time in the Belgian second tier with Royal Antwerp?
    Some people are absolutely clueless about the difference between academy and senior football.

Yes they send to professional leagues with professional clubs with professional players. That also have professional setups and training facilties.

I left a clue in that line for you....it begins with P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yes they send to professional leagues with professional clubs with professional players. That also have professional setups and training facilties.

I left a clue in that line for you....it begins with P

Players?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

No they didn't, Tallaght was far from full.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Clubs won't send any sort of potential talent here, players at any young age would not develop in any sort of way here bar maybe tough them up a bit. I don't think people would come out in 'droves' just to watch an individual player they have have never heard of on loan from a Premiership team. Teams bringing squads over here to play friendlies is very different from the odd player being sent over, even if I don't understand why they'd go out to watch squads with players they wouldn't know at all.

Duff was very different, he was an ex-Irish international and of the best recent ones, going out to see him before he stops playing football has plenty of logic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

dreamers75 wrote:

dreamers75 wrote:

You are right, of course, in relation to how low those clubs must rate those players they send on loan to LOI clubs. That, however, doesn't mean that it can't boost the profile of the league if more clubs do it. It's all about the marketing! ;)

Wilberto wrote: »
    You are right, of course, in relation to how low those clubs must rate those players they send on loan to LOI clubs. That, however, doesn't mean that it can't boost the profile of the league if more clubs do it. It's all about the marketing! ;)

Honestly no idea how a club could market something like that.

XXXXX XXXXX vs XXXXX XXXXXXX
    Featuring future EPL star XXXX XXXXXX

???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Michael Hector and Andrey Pereplyotkin :pac:

We obviously have different definitions of the word "droves".
    People in this country will go out in their droves to watch whatever make shift side EPL clubs can be bothered to send over.
    Once again, I think you're overstating the appeal of the EPL. I remember Pats played a Man City youth side last July and Richmond was barely half full:

People are not going to make the connection you think they're going to make. If an EPL club sends a player to an LOI club on loan, the typical Irish football fan is not going to think...

"Wow, a potential EPL star playing in Ireland?!? Maybe this LOI ain't so bad after all and I should go and check it out!".

They're going to think...

"Wow, that guy must be **** if his club have sent him out on loan to the ****ty LOI."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement