Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Liam Flatley and Ryan McConnell have left Harps for Ballinamallard. Flatley was a decent squad player and showed a bit of potential so sorry to see him go. McConnell was the Man Utd u21 captain we signed to much coverage. Don't think he ever got match fit.
    On that note, Michael Rafter seems a lost cause too, don't even know if he is still with us tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

kksaints wrote: »
    Do Wexford get anything for him?

Possibly yeah. He was one of the few who are under some kind of contract, but I haven't the foggiest what the terms are. Stephen Hunt was acting as his agent apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Oat23 wrote: »

Great read, not for bar stoolers though!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Yeah it's a case of preaching to the choir really.

LOI fans will agree with it, non fans won't even bother to read it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

I see Shane Supple made his debut for Bohs tonight. Is that his first involvement in LOI since he game back from Ipswich?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

howiya wrote: »
    I see Shane Supple made his debut for Bohs tonight. Is that his first involvement in LOI since he game back from Ipswich?

Yep. Was playing GAA in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Amirani wrote: »
    Yep. Was playing GAA in the meantime.
    He was playing in the LSL with Crumlin in last few years. Brilliant GK probably the best in the LOI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

MD1990 wrote: »
    He was playing in the LSL with Crumlin in last few years. Brilliant GK probably the best in the LOI.
    Bit of an outlandish claim, maybe revisit that at the end of the season, not after one league start at a higher level after playing Junior for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Bit of an outlandish claim, maybe revisit that at the end of the season, not after one league start at a higher level after playing Junior for years.

Agree with you, there are several excellent Keepers in the League, Gary Rogers, Brendan Clarke, Barry Murphy to name a few. Rogers was in a couple of Ireland squads recently

21/25

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

uch wrote: »
    Agree with you, there are several excellent Keepers in the League, Gary Rogers, Brendan Clarke, Barry Murphy to name a few. Rogers was in a couple of Ireland squads recently

Barry Murphy shouldn't be in your post.

Ryan to Burton confirmed. 2 year deal with an option of 3

http://wexfordyouthsfc.ie/latest-news/236-ryan-delaney-burton-albion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Clough has been very critical of where he's come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Its a big step up . Clough's comments were poor though especially since Burton is small club who could well be out of there depth in the championship. Not good comments to help a player settle in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I found that quote taking somewhat out of context, especially as he went on to say about the full time training. It'll be a key difference for players moving over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

uch wrote: »
    Schlingerman and mcnulty also top keepers

MD1990 wrote: »
    Its a big step up . Clough's comments were poor though especially since Burton is small club who could well be out of there depth in the championship. Not good comments to help a player settle in.

They were fairly tactless, undiplomatic and disrespectful, but I understand what he's saying. Unnecessary to say that in a public forum but I don't really care, I'm mainly just thrilled for Ryan. Hope he continues to show the form he showed in the friendlies. One of the absolute nicest chaps you'll meet in this league.

Mushy wrote: »
    I found that quote taking somewhat out of context, especially as he went on to say about the full time training. It'll be a key difference for players moving over.

"(Ryan) can play left-back or left centre half. He's only 19 and hasn't yet played at a decent level but he does a lot of things naturally,” he told the club website."
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0725/804786-irish-teen-ryan-delaney-makes-championship-move/

Now he does go on to mention full time as you said but the essence of his comments are this lad hasn't started playing football yet and the reason they've brought him in is because of "natural ability".

Usually I'd take it with a pinch of salt but this is a continuation on comments Clough has made previously.
    There really isn't any need for it and he's going beyond simply saying the lads stepping up from amateur/part time to full time to actively showing contempt for the league.

"(Ryan) can play left-back or left centre half. He's only 19 and hasn't yet played at a decent level but he does a lot of things naturally,” he told the club website."
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0725/804786-irish-teen-ryan-delaney-makes-championship-move/

Now he does go on to mention full time as you said but the essence of his comments are this lad hasn't started playing football yet and the reason they've brought him in is because of "natural ability".

Usually I'd take it with a pinch of salt but this is a continuation on comments Clough has made previously.
    There really isn't any need for it and he's going beyond simply saying the lads stepping up from amateur/part time to full time to actively showing contempt for the league.

It is quite poor form when it's coming from a highly experienced English manager, with years of experience dealing with the press. But whatever, let's remember this is a good news story :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mushy wrote: »

"(Ryan) can play left-back or left centre half. He's only 19 and hasn't yet played at a decent level but he does a lot of things naturally, he told the club website."

I agree there isn't much/any need for the comments alright, it's quite tactless in that regard. Championship is a step up though in many regards.

I just hope the move works out well for the lad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

Dave Mulcahy signs for Cork. At 38 I just don't see what he can offer Cork. He has no pace, and can't play every match as he is clearly wrecked. Strange signing. Thanks for the 5 years at bohs.

Can only assume he's doing some sort of coaching?

Oddly enough he joined them during the winter, only to return to us before the season started.

Put in some great performances, but I think his playing days at this level are done.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

sidcon wrote: »
    Dave Mulcahy signs for Cork. At 38 I just don't see what he can offer Cork. He has no pace, and can't play every match as he is clearly wrecked. Strange signing. Thanks for the 5 years at bohs.

Not this again!

Did he not sign at the start of last season (or whichever) only to go back to Dublin before he even played a game! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Think this is his 3rd stint. Not sure has he even played 3 games in those previous stints.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

3 former Evergreen (Kk) players at Cork.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Irish under 21 keeper Eric Grimes signs for Cork City after 5 years at Leeds United. Great signing for the club, a big prospect who actually stood in the Shed as a kid and should have no shortage of ambition given his international and cross channel cv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Delaney signs off on Megabucks investment into LOI Clubs

Link
    THE FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION of Ireland (FAI) will provide each SSE Airtricity League club with funding of up to €5,000 to assist in the completion of their five-year strategic plans.

The announcement was made ahead of the FAI’s Annual General Meeting in Tipperary with a total of €100,000 made available between the 20 League of Ireland clubs.

The introduction of strategic plans follows the publication of the Conroy Report last September, which recommended a radical shake-up of the overall league structure, an increase in prize-money and the development of a more strategic business operational approach.

“Strategic Planning is a fundamental part of any business and the need for all clubs to have five-year viable strategic plans can not be underestimated,” FAI Director of Competitions, Fran Gavin, said.

“We have 20 independent businesses operating in the SSE Airtricity League and they all have individual priorities and goals. The Consultation Process Report outlined the need for our clubs to have clear strategies in areas of sport, business and community.”

The funding was agreed by FAI CEO John Delaney, the association’s board and the Premier Clubs Association.

I don't even know if this qualifies as a "trickle" down.

Hundred grand between twenty clubs, a whopping five grand each. Imagine what then clubs could do with this windfall.

What an insult from an absolute insult of a man.

Delaney signs off on Megabucks investment into LOI Clubs

Link

I don't even know if this qualifies as a "trickle" down.

Hundred grand between twenty clubs, a whopping five grand each. Imagine what then clubs could do with this windfall.

What an insult from an absolute insult of a man.

Faux outrage if I ever saw it.
    It's specifically for the strategic plans.
    In my view this is the way to go when giving LOI clubs money ie here's X amount you have to spend it on Y.
    Should be done a lot more obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Affiliation fees will probably increase next year to make up for the money handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

In my view this is the way to go when giving LOI clubs money ie here's X amount you have to spend it on Y.

E5k for a strategic plan? That will barely get you to page 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Are you seriously suggesting that clubs will use it for that purpose? It will go against the lecky bill for most clubs

Are you seriously suggesting that clubs will use it for that purpose? It will go against the lecky bill for most clubs

Then fook them out of the league. Theres far too many basket cases in the league.
    Waterford & Athlone both being prime examples.
    If clubs don't use this money for the purpose it's intended for ie longterm planning, then show them the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Then fook them out of the league. Theres far too many basket cases in the league.
    If clubs don't use this money for the purpose it's intended for ie longterm planning, then show them the door.

That'll be most of the clubs gone then. If the FAI really wanted to help rather than giving 5 grand for development, they could ****can their registration fees that clubs have to pay every year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Affiliation fees will probably increase next year to make up for the money handed out.

Athlone might be able to cover that €1000 fine with it and Waterford get in another player..

Asking hard up clubs to spend a small amount on 5-year strategic planning when some are probably operating week-to-week is a basket case idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

That's why I think there should be direct intervention by the FAI. Don't give clubs money to improve infrastructure, send in contractors to upgrade floodlights, toilets, pitches, stands etc. Give clubs money for these projects and you know where some of them will spend it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In Cork fan, but why not give our share to another club.

I mean Dundalk and Cork have done OK in Europe.

It might not be much but might help a little bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

It's not long since Dundalk and Cork could have done with €5k badly.
    It mightn't be long til they need it again, so give it to them now! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Why not use Cork and Dundalks European winnings to re-instate John Delaneys salary to where it was pre-crash........ and give the lad a bonus for carrying the extra load when his salary was cut to 400k..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Anyone know why Michael Essien was at the Limerick - Shels game the other night? He is hardly making a move to LOI is he :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Anyone know why Michael Essien was at the Limerick - Shels game the other night? He is hardly making a move to LOI is he :eek:

Why would Limerick bother to try and bring in someone like him on who'll undoubtedly be on a high (relative to the LoI average) wage. Sure, they're effectively promoted now anyway.

Unless, of course, they reckon they can cover the cost and moreso with the increased attendances due to having a big name player.

Very strange indeed, although, it'd be even stranger if he was just there as a "guest of honour", what with having little to no connections to Limerick (that I no of!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Wilberto wrote: »
    Why would Limerick bother to try and bring in someone like him on who'll undoubtedly be on a high (relative to the LoI average) wage. Sure, they're effectively promoted now anyway.

Unless, of course, they reckon they can cover the cost and moreso with the increased attendances due to having a big name player.

Very strange indeed, although, it'd be even stranger if he was just there as a "guest of honour", what with having little to no connections to Limerick (that I no of!)

Limerick are looking for investors and he's looking to invest. But was mainly to do with possibly setting up an affiliation between Limerick and his academy in Ghana.

Limerick are looking for investors and he's looking to invest. But was mainly to do with possibly setting up an affiliation between Limerick and his academy in Ghana.

Ah I see! I never thought about it that way. At least that makes more sense anyway if that's the case. :)

Jesus Christ

Saw on facebook that the Shels players and management didn't get a chance to acknowledge the travelling support because they were rushed off the pitch so Essien could be presented?

Bit shít if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Will we ever see change?

I hope the NT falls apart soon. That is the only way I see it happening.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/no-questions-were-directed-at-the-top-table-of-the-fai-agm-for-the-third-year-running-34925477.html

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    Jesus Christ

Go on.....

red sean wrote: »
    It's not long since Dundalk and Cork could have done with €5k badly.
    It mightn't be long til they need it again, so give it to them now! :p

Oh I remember. Be honest though if teams in Europe blow 5000% extra more then what they get from fai they don't deserve it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Oh I remember. Be honest though if teams in Europe blow 5000% extra more then what they get from fai they don't deserve it
    Was meant as a joke.
    But another club blew a European nestegg that should have seen at least a decade of success!

Go on.....

We finally seem to have our shît together but even at that the club isn't exactly on a solid financial footing. We are going in the right direction with people in place to make sure past mistakes are not repeated.

Why should we give a red cent to comedy clubs like Cobh or Waterford or Shells? If anything clubs doing biz correctly should get more while the incompetents get nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

damemcd wrote: »
    Why not use Cork and Dundalks European winnings to re-instate John Delaneys salary to where it was pre-crash........ and give the lad a bonus for carrying the extra load when his salary was cut to 400k..

Make sure to put some in a little fund so he can buy the travelling fans a few slabs of cans when Ireland play abroad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement