Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Anyone know why Michael Essien was at the Limerick - Shels game the other night? He is hardly making a move to LOI is he :eek:
    I heard he has Irish ancestors.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Will we ever see change?

I hope the NT falls apart soon. That is the only way I see it happening.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/no-questions-were-directed-at-the-top-table-of-the-fai-agm-for-the-third-year-running-34925477.html

Awful thing to say and a very narrow minded view.
    Wishing the NT ill is cutting your nose off to spite your face.
    The fact is if the NT fell apart, the LOI would be right behind it and we'd end up like Russia not being able to pay an international team manager.
    There's surely a better way for Irish football to progress besides that!

If LOI clubs want out they should follow the example of the Nordie clubs and leave the FAI. I think this could work if there was a full time management league board, say 2 or 3 business people and a couple of people voted by the clubs,
    with incentivised targets to meet on things like increasing attendances, revenue streams etc.

The reality is though there's no stomach for that from LOI clubs.
    The Irish league was shown on Sky a few years back as part of sky's deal to show the NI team.
    That doesn't happen anymore.
    It would be the same for the LOI.
    No more live games
    No more highlights.
    No more youth leagues
    Huge uncertainty over sponsorship largely due to lack of tv coverage.
    They just don't want to face into that kind of uncertainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Nearly 48,000 at a pre season friendly says it all. That's as much as 5 full weekends of LOI football and probably 4 times what Cork and Dundalk combined will take this week. We all love our clubs but let's face it - outside of our gallant little band nobody gives a fcuk. That's why, while I do want 'the town' to retain the league, I fully support Cork City in Europe and wanted all league clubs to do well. We are a small tribal band and we should be looking out for each other, nobody else will. And yes Rovers blew a fortune, and yes Waterford are a basket case, but who outside the league cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

The question is how to make Irish football exciting and interesting for people outside the circle of people already into it. Being miserable buggers isn't the answer. I don't know what is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

If LOI clubs want out they should follow the example of the Nordie clubs and leave the FAI. I think this could work if there was a full time management league board, say 2 or 3 business people and a couple of people voted by the clubs,
    with incentivised targets to meet on things like increasing attendances, revenue streams etc.

We already saw from the pre-FAI era in 2006 that that's not the answer either. Anything run or voted on by the clubs will be doomed.

What is needed is the league to be run by an outside group where its sole goal is producing a stable league as the pinnacle of a co-ordinated football structure from youth level. A group with the power to bring the myriad of leagues and boys clubs into order.

The FAI should be that group, but their interest in the short term success of the international team compromises them.

dfx- wrote: »
    We already saw from the pre-FAI era in 2006 that that's not the answer either. Anything run or voted on by the clubs will be doomed.

What is needed is the league to be run by an outside group where its sole goal is producing a stable league as the pinnacle of a co-ordinated football structure from youth level. A group with the power to bring the myriad of leagues and boys clubs into order.

The FAI should be that group, but their interest in the short term success of the international team compromises them.

I could've sworn that's what I said!!

You're never going to bring schoolboy clubs on board. It just won't happen.
    They prioritise selling underage talent to English clubs to the determinant of those players. Money is the only thing that will change that and LOI clubs don't have enough of it.

You said it could work if they leave the FAI. It cannot work and it didn't work if anything to do with it is voted on by the clubs as you suggested. There's very good reasons for there being no stomach for this because it didn't work the last time.

I would guess needing a link to an LOI team to participate in the U-17/U-19 league is a major part in why Cabinteely are in the league now and St. Kevin's Boys were reported to be looking into it.

Having the youth structures and leagues linked to the LOI is a potentially huge organisational development in bridging the chasm between LOI and the schoolboy clubs.

You said it could work if they leave the FAI. It cannot work and it didn't work if anything to do with it is voted on by the clubs as you suggested. There's very good reasons for there being no stomach for this because it didn't work the last time.

I would guess needing a link to an LOI team to participate in the U-17/U-19 league is a major part in why Cabinteely are in the league now and St. Kevin's Boys were reported to be looking into it.

Having the youth structures and leagues linked to the LOI is a potentially huge organisational development in bridging the chasm between LOI and the schoolboy clubs.
    There's a strong argument that the merger has not worked.
    Just as an example the FAI promised clubs nearly a million euro in prize money when the merger happened.
    That was quickly reduced to around 300k.

What we're talking about hasn't been tried before. Previously the clubs ran themselves and ran themselves into the ground.

With proper regulations and structures in place that would not be allowed happen again.
    It's worth reading up on the NIFL in the north they've had some serious success. Namely they convinced the 12 premier clubs to take a drop in prize money so the first division clubs could all become senior clubs. They now have more senior cubs than us!!

It absolutely is the reason both of those were sniffing around the league.
    It's very cynical but I believe Cabintelley are running a skeleton club with the sole purpose of competing in the underage leagues and getting an advantage over their junior rivals.
    Kevins wanted to do the same thing and may well still get the chance.

The underage leagues put youth structures in place for LOI clubs. It's amazing that it took the second decade of the 21st century for it to happen.
    While hugely beneficial for LOI clubs, the reality is the underage leagues are for young players who were left behind by British academies.
    The cream of the talent on this island is still flogged to mainland Britain.
    The real game changers will be the U15s & U13s leagues which will cut the schoolboy clubs out of alot of money.
    It will be very interesting to see the level of opposition to those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

It's very cynical but I believe Cabintelley are running a skeleton club with the sole purpose of competing in the underage leagues and getting an advantage over their junior rivals.
    Kevins wanted to do the same thing and may well still get the chance.

The underage leagues put youth structures in place for LOI clubs. It's amazing that it took the second decade of the 21st century for it to happen.
    While hugely beneficial for LOI clubs, the reality is the underage leagues are for young players who were left behind by British academies.
    The cream of the talent on this island is still flogged to mainland Britain.
    The real game changers will be the U15s & U13s leagues which will cut the schoolboy clubs out of alot of money.
    It will be very interesting to see the level of opposition to those.

Ending the child trafficking trade to Britain will be difficult to accomplish.

It serves neither the interests of the children or football in Ireland.

The FAI appear to have come to conclusion that the way to do this is to take the children out of schoolboy clubs and entrust their football development to LOI clubs. However, where is the investment in infrastructure and coaching? Will LOI clubs regard these children as anything other than potential income?

• Advertisement

Ending the child trafficking trade to Britain will be difficult to accomplish.

It serves neither the interests of the children or football in Ireland.

The FAI appear to have come to conclusion that the way to do this is to take the children out of schoolboy clubs and entrust their football development to LOI clubs. However, where is the investment in infrastructure and coaching? Will LOI clubs regard these children as anything other than potential income?

The FAI came to no conclusion whatsoever. They employ a man named Rudd Dokter. The underage leagues were his idea.
    Its a simple concept that the best kids in Ireland should be playing against the best kids.
    That doesn't happen in the mayo league or even in the DDSL.

There are plans for serious investment in underage structures at LOI level.
    Shams are planning to invest E1M in a full time academy where they'll bus kids from school. That money has already been secured from a private benefactor.
    The FAI and Cork City are building a E10M training complex. This is planned to be used for Euro 2020 as a training ground. So very likely to be built.
    The likes of Sligo rovers have already invested E1M in the showgrounds which has 2 all weather training pitches and a full size grass pitch.

The best coaches in the country are also being drawn to the underage leagues.
    Very soon the only show in town for a talented Irish kid will be the LOI underage leagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

A good look at the propaganda-laden FAI AGM.

On a side note. How is the head of the Sligo-Leitrim league on €360,000 a year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The question is how to make Irish football exciting and interesting for people outside the circle of people already into it. Being miserable buggers isn't the answer. I don't know what is.

They need an overhaul in advertising. Look at Sky Sports. Alright, they're not without fault but they make every game look like it's must watch even if it's a nothing affair between Hull v West Brom or something like that.

Eir Sport is more accessible than ever with Eir's broadband package and I think they're doing a decent enough job with showing a multitude of Irish teams (European and domestically).

I think they should be the ones who get full rights to the LOI because RTE don't give a fúck about showing games.

I don't know how to make it exciting other than that. But the issue then is that you want people to attend games rather than watch them on TV every week.

Catch 22.

The FAI AGM was a joke and a back slapping exercise.

Could they do something on the big screens at HT at Ireland games maybe? Dramatic music, video package of teams and a full list of fixtures and entice people to keep their ticket for a fiver off at the gate or something.

I know clubs will have to get on board with it but it might see people returning.

I have no idea how you cater for a league. Clubs cater for themselves and each team does a good bit of marketing for their own games and they do it quite well for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

A good look at the propaganda-laden FAI AGM.

On a side note. How is the head of the Sligo-Leitrim league on €360,000 a year?
    Not sure if you're joking there? Its referring to Delaney's salary. Which obviously is justified..

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Not sure if you're joking there? Its referring to Delaney's salary. Which obviously is justified..

Ah my bad. Misread that bit. Thing with the FAI is something like that wouldnt be surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

“I had the privilege last year, John, of saying that you are the best CEO that the FAI ever had and, on your home patch, I would like to say ‘thank you’ for proving me correct,” stated Kennedy, “The reports given today show how lucky we are to have a person of your calibre guiding us into the future,” added Kennedy
    Tell me that doesn't sound like something you'd hear a person say to Kim Jong-un in Pyongyang.
    “I had the privilege last year, Dear Leader, of saying that you are the best Leader that best Korea ever had and, on your home patch, I would like to say ‘thank you’ for proving me correct,” stated Kim, “The reports given today show how lucky we are to have a Leader of your calibre guiding us into the future,” added Kim

Oat23 wrote: »
    Tell me that doesn't sound like something you'd hear a person say to Kim Jong-un in Pyongyang.

I'd love to know where these lick arses are coming from.
    The majority of league representatives have stopped attending this sham.
    Yet the Roscommon league representative is still showing up!
    How could you show your face back in your village/town after doing that level of brown nosing!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bohs agree a fee for the sale of Ben Mohammed with a Tunisian team

http://bohemianfc.com/?p=10351

Very depressing to see him go, one of the bright spots in a very mediocre season. We're probably not in a position to turn down any sort of transfer fee though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    We're probably not in a position to turn down any sort of transfer fee though.

Its a very nice rug by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

That's a huge move. Esperance are one of the most successful teams in Africa. Best of luck to him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Congrats Dundalk. 3-0! :eek: Did not see that one coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Wilberto wrote: »
    Congrats Dundalk. 3-0! :eek: Did not see that one coming!

7million wind fall now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I wonder could Towell rejoin Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

MD1990 wrote: »
    I wonder could Towell rejoin Dundalk.

Depending how he gets on in Brighton over the next couple of months he could very well be back in the LOI next year but would he take the pay cut though. Think with a proper pre season he'll get a lot more playing time this season, was always gonna be hard for someone who was in pre season mode joining Brighton who were mid season and pushing for promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Some of the Dundalk players could now be under consideration for International duty if they keep up this level of performance. Particularly Horgan and McEleney for NI and possibly Gannon at right back

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »
    Some of the Dundalk players could now be under consideration for International duty if they keep up this level of performance. Particularly Horgan and McEleney for NI and possibly Gannon at right back
    Horgan isn't eligible for NI.
    Next time Ireland have a friendly he should certainly be in the squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Horgan isn't eligible for NI.
    Next time Ireland have a friendly he should certainly be in the squad

Horgan is as good as Towell was last year. Best and most dynamic player in the LOI for me. Always a threat!

Dundalk's two best players have been Chris Shields and Horgan for the past few seasons.

Key thing for their success is what has been missing for lots of other clubs. They've a core side that have stayed together including players from Rovers in 2011 who were not overawed by the level and they've had a good few attempts at it. Same with Rovers in 2010/2011, plenty of games and goes at it with some wins. Now Cork too this year at EL level.

The idea of other recent one-off champions, like Drogheda or Sligo who had one chance, getting anywhere is remote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

McEleney would surely play for the Republic too?

wadacrack wrote: »

Was O'Neill at the match last night?

He said last week he'd be attending both European matches this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

He was with John Delaney. Congratulated the team afterwards in the dressing room.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He said last week he'd be attending both European matches this week.

He was sitting next to that gobshíte from the fai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

The benefits of keeping players and managers is apparent, pity most clubs can't commit to signing the bulk of their squad on multi season contracts.

Once you have a good un that is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Dundalk's two best players have been Chris Shields and Horgan for the past few seasons.

Key thing for their success is what has been missing for lots of other clubs. They've a core side that have stayed together including players from Rovers in 2011 who were not overawed by the level and they've had a good few attempts at it. Same with Rovers in 2010/2011, plenty of games and goes at it with some wins. Now Cork too this year at EL level.

The idea of other recent one-off champions, like Drogheda or Sligo who had one chance, getting anywhere is remote.
    Shields passing is woeful though. He can be a liability at times. Finn, O Donnell and Horgan are all top players though

Shields passing is woeful though. He can be a liability at times. Finn, O Donnell and Horgan are all top players though

Shields is quite a good passer of the ball. His problem is getting caught in possession in tight spaces when pressed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Shields is far from our best player!

Benson, SOD, McEleney and Finn are all superior CM to him!

Shields is a great player to have in your squad. 100% every time. Towell , Finn, Horgan Benson and McEleney are more gifted. O'Donnell is the class act though.
    But you need your Shields if want to win competitions. (Ask Arsenal, class football but with no equivalent of Shields= empty cupboards)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Congrats to the Dundalk players and management team.

A fantastic achievement to knock out a side that have been in the CL group stages 5 of the last 8 seasons I think and who took 4 points from Roma last season.

Massive windfall and hopefully they can get Oriel sorted. (I know there are issues with the lease...).

Dundalk have an unbelievable fixture congestion coming up now. I've just had a look at their fixtures and it's the following regardless of CL or EL qualification:

August: 3 league games, 3 European games (includes the BATE game), 1 FAI Cup game
    September: 3 league games, 2 European games, 1 FAI Cup game (assuming they beat Crumlin)
    October: 5 league games, 2 European games (2nd one is the week after the final league game), 2 potential FAI Cup games

On top of that, there's 4 league games to be rescheduled which are currently not scheduled. That makes a potential 26 games to play between now and November 6th.

From the 1st August to 6th November, there is a potential 28 games that can be played (assuming a game being played every Thursday and Sunday). So if Dundalk end up in two FAI Cup replays and progress to the final, they will play twice a week EVERY week from now until the end of the season. Even as it is now, they will only have two midweeks off.

As much as they will have the money to dominate, that is going to take a serious toll on a small enough squad. So there is the real potential for Cork to still win the league.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

SantryRed wrote: »
    Dundalk have an unbelievable fixture congestion coming up now. I've just had a look at their fixtures and it's the following regardless of CL or EL qualification:

August: 3 league games, 3 European games (includes the BATE game), 1 FAI Cup game
    September: 3 league games, 2 European games, 1 FAI Cup game (assuming they beat Crumlin)
    October: 5 league games, 2 European games (2nd one is the week after the final league game), 2 potential FAI Cup games

On top of that, there's 4 league games to be rescheduled which are currently not scheduled. That makes a potential 26 games to play between now and November 6th.

From the 1st August to 6th November, there is a potential 28 games that can be played (assuming a game being played every Thursday and Sunday). So if Dundalk end up in two FAI Cup replays and progress to the final, they will play twice a week EVERY week from now until the end of the season. Even as it is now, they will only have two midweeks off.

As much as they will have the money to dominate, that is going to take a serious toll on a small enough squad. So there is the real potential for Cork to still win the league.

You're assuming of course Cork don't win tomorrow...

• Advertisement

You're assuming of course Cork don't win tomorrow...

They need to win tomorrow and another play off round too though!

I'd say the season will have to be stretched out by a week or two at least.
    It's verging on the impossible for them to fulfil all those fixtures.
    It'll be the subs/U19s out against Crumlin anyway.

I could also see them brining in a few loan signings/decent free agents from England and maybe further abroad.
    No shortage of players willing to sign a 6 month contract to play in the group stages and It's not like money is an issue.

Clough has been very critical of where he's come from.

cloughie anything to say now ? :pac:

You can't extend the season, the final games have to be played together. Depending on the group, they'll have to prioritise the competitions. The current squad can't fulfill it, but you have to get in the new Rohan Ricketts types.
    joeysoap wrote: »
    Shields is a great player to have in your squad. 100% every time. Towell , Finn, Horgan Benson and McEleney are more gifted. O'Donnell is the class act though.
    But you need your Shields if want to win competitions. (Ask Arsenal, class football but with no equivalent of Shields= empty cupboards)

It's a league of five man midfields. Shields is the key player, they're a different side with him and without. You can swap in and out the rest as long as he is there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Dundalk were very lucky to get Crumlin in the cup. They can field the kids for that now and rest the first team.

Re extending the season - I doubt that could be done at this late stage. But it is yet another huge marker that a 40 week season is bloody stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

You can't extend the season, the final games have to be played together. Depending on the group, they'll have to prioritise the competitions. The current squad can't fulfill it, but you have to get in the new Rohan Ricketts types.

It's a league of five man midfields. Shields is the key player, they're a different side with him and without. You can swap in and out the rest as long as he is there..
    Shields in not the key player. He was better last season where he often started instead of O'Donnell & has been off his best this season but improved on Tuesday after a terrible first 30 mins. I have no idea why you think he is the key player while he has mostly started from the bench this season. What your saying about Shields this season is completely wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Shields hasnt started a game before Tues night in ages, so you obvs don't know what your talking about!

Sean Maguire may be on his way from Cork. It would be great for the lad, he is ambitious, and is desperate to play in a top league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Sean Maguire may be on his way from Cork. It would be great for the lad, he is ambitious, and is desperate to play in a top league.

Its reported that 2 Belgian sides might bid 150,000 euro for him today and tomorrow, if true, try get 200k and bite their hands off for it. Lad has 4 months left on his contract and while he's good, he's not 150-200k good yet. Great chance for City to make an extra few bucks here if they play it right.

• Advertisement

CHealy wrote: »
    Its reported that 2 Belgian sides might bid 150,000 euro for him today and tomorrow, if true, try get 200k and bite their hands off for it. Lad has 4 months left on his contract and while he's good, he's not 150-200k good yet. Great chance for City to make an extra few bucks here if they play it right.

Exactly. Dundalk didn't get a penny for Riche Towell. This would be great business for Cork.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement