Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

CHealy wrote: »
    Its reported that 2 Belgian sides might bid 150,000 euro for him today and tomorrow, if true, try get 200k and bite their hands off for it. Lad has 4 months left on his contract and while he's good, he's not 150-200k good yet. Great chance for City to make an extra few bucks here if they play it right.

He's worth that to us. He's lead the line great this season and replacing him and getting a player to fit in like he has will be difficult. Selling him now will relinquish any title challenge imo as there's no one to replace him there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Transfer window is closed for us though. Who do we replace him with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

gimmick wrote: »
    Transfer window is closed for us though. Who do we replace him with?

Forgot about that transfer window, heads all over the place with this Euro run I dont know what day it is.

I think we have two choices if the rumour is true

1. Offer Seanie a two year contract extension right now

2. Sell him and make 150k now or risk losing him anyway when season is over.

Its a tough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Forgot about that transfer window, heads all over the place with this Euro run I dont know what day it is.

Its a tough one.

There is no way Maguire would sign a 2 year deal. Why would he, if his ambition is to get away?

If Cork deny him his move, they run the risk of a repeat of the Bolger situation at Pats. He was useless to Pats after they scuppered his move to Motherwell and then lost him to Cork for nothing.

The best oucome is for Cork to win tonight and go on to qualify for the group stages of the Europa League. Maguire wouldn't want to miss that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Its a tough one.

Or offer him a 2 year extension now and tell him if a similar offer comes in when the season is over he can take it if he want to. I'd keep him, we are not desperate for money , a certain previous owner would have sold him already for 10k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

There is no way Maguire would sign a 2 year deal. Why would he, if his ambition is to get away?

If Cork deny him his move, they run the risk of a repeat of the Bolger situation at Pats. He was useless to Pats after they scuppered his move to Motherwell and then lost him to Cork for nothing.

Is he in that much of a rush to get back over though? He failed at West Ham, failed at Sligo, done alright at Accrington, failed at Dundalk, he's doing really well for us, not scoring week in week out but his general play is great. I just wouldnt think he's good enough to get out of LOI yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The best oucome is for Cork to win tonight and go on to qualify for the group stages of the Europa League. Maguire wouldn't want to miss that.

He might be enjoying his football now more than ever. He might like being first choice. He might want some stability that a 2 year deal would give. He might not want to play over there. When a player moves around as much as he does, a couple of years here might be exactly what he wants

Either way it's nice to see our players getting this kind of attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Is he in that much of a rush to get back over though? He failed at West Ham, failed at Sligo, done alright at Accrington, failed at Dundalk, he's doing really well for us, not scoring week in week out but his general play is great. I just wouldnt think he's good enough to get out of LOI yet.

There is a good argument that another year at Cork will allow him to become a better player and eventually get a better move for him.

That is the argument that Kenny used to keep Towell for 2014. I would expect Caulfield to use a similar argument with Maguire.

I take the points regarding the timing of the move. The transfer window in Ireland makes little sense, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    He might be enjoying his football now more than ever. He might like being first choice. He might want some stability that a 2 year deal would give. He might not want to play over there. When a player moves around as much as he does, a couple of years here might be exactly what he wants

Either way it's nice to see our players getting this kind of attention.

He wasn't a failure at Dundalk as a previous post states. He was 3rd choice after MCMillan and Kilduff . That wasn't good enough for him and to be fair SK realised this and let him go -.to Cork as it transpired. IMO he would have gotten a lot of first team football and a plenty of starts , especially now with the fixture congestion coming up.

I'm glad Kenny left him go. Although he looked fair píssed off coming off tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Oat23 wrote: »

Great way to run a business...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I don't get this. The original article said that the grant was announced in conjunction with the PCA. That gives the impression that there was some negotiating and agreement involved between the FAI and the clubs. Derry are represented within the PCA, so why didn't they bring their concerns to the FAI through that? And if they did, but the rest of union disagreed with them and felt that the grants were for the overall benefit of the league, well, that's democracy.

The PCA has been a success in its relatively short life time so far. Without it, the league prize money wouldn't have been increased by €160k (50%) for this season. It shows the power that the clubs have when united.

While it can be great to see these "fight the power" type headlines, it kind of undermines the purpose of the PCA by Derry going rogue like this.

By any chance, would anyone on here know how much the FAI earned through fines season-by-season over the past few years? A lad earlier mentioned that they made more in fines last season than Dundalk made for winning the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

By any chance, would anyone on here know how much the FAI earned through fines season-by-season over the past few years? A lad earlier mentioned that they made more in fines last season than Dundalk made for winning the league.
    Not sure. I'm sure it is just a coincidence the ref's are often quick to give out yellow & red cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

MD1990 wrote: »
    Not sure. I'm sure it is just a coincidence the ref's are often quick to give out yellow & red cards.

To be fair, I think the majority are just absolutely awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

SantryRed wrote: »
    To be fair, I think the majority are just absolutely awful.
    I was joking. There is often some terrible decisions & cards are handed out like confetti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    I don't get this. The original article said that the grant was announced in conjunction with the PCA. That gives the impression that there was some negotiating and agreement involved between the FAI and the clubs. Derry are represented within the PCA, so why didn't they bring their concerns to the FAI through that? And if they did, but the rest of union disagreed with them and felt that the grants were for the overall benefit of the league, well, that's democracy.

The PCA has been a success in its relatively short life time so far. Without it, the league prize money wouldn't have been increased by €160k (50%) for this season. It shows the power that the clubs have when united.

While it can be great to see these "fight the power" type headlines, it kind of undermines the purpose of the PCA by Derry going rogue like this.

There's a few factual inaccuracies in this.
    The league Prize money was increased because Bwin started paying to stream LOI. They were already showing Irish league games for a few years. They would have approached the FAI.
    I don't see how either the FAI or the PCA can take credit for that.

The FAI also reduced the affiliation Fees and contributed to a small increase in league prize money. It was a minuscule increase/decrease. Also when articles start appearing showing the FAI are making a gross profit on the league change was inevitable.

Derrys issue seems to be the lack of forward planning.
    This is a one off add hoc payment.
    There's no hint that It might be an annual thing through the life span of the strategic plans.
    Without anything like that it's really useless and will just get lost in day to day bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

It's not a one off payment. It's being paid over 5 years. Or €20 a week for the duration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

kksaints wrote: »

What a strange time to release the statement. At half time of their game in Derry. I wonder if the Derry chairman got in their ear during the game :pac:

What a strange time to release the statement. At half time of their game in Derry. I wonder if the Derry chairman got in their ear during the game :pac:

It was released at 8:45pm, which would have been right before halftime during the TV game. Probably hoping it would get read out during Eir's coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It was released at 8:45pm, which would have been right before halftime during the TV game. Probably hoping it would get read out during Eir's coverage.

That's exactly what happened. Then the commentator said they probably didn't need it as they have other revenue streams :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

What's with Eir showing Galway-Dundalk with Bohs-Derry are in the listings? Assume it's capitalising on the week that's in it?

Especially as Derry and bohs are playing other teams.

Wonderful three points for Galway!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Wonderful three points for Galway!

Wonerful indeed, opens a window of opportunity for city Monday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Mushy wrote: »
    What's with Eir showing Galway-Dundalk with Bohs-Derry are in the listings? Assume it's capitalising on the week that's in it?

Bohs Derry was last week's game. Tonight's match was always the scheduled one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

monkey9 wrote: »
    Mushy wrote: »

Bohs Derry was last week's game. Tonight's match was always the scheduled one.

Weird, could just be the Vodafone tv guide acting up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Pats statement on the 5k reads a lot better than what Derry have said. Fair play to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Wonerful indeed, opens a window of opportunity for city Monday night.
    I'd like to see Cork win the league but hoping last night wasn't a one off and we might hit a bit of form. Just in time to climb the table to third and win the cup too.

I don't ask for much..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Posted this in the weekly fixture thread but might get a bit more traction here. Last night a good few tourists from Europe where in the singing section at Dalymount having some craic. At least two of them bought new jerseys in the club shop and where leading sing-songs in the bar at half time. We always seem to get a handful of these loons from time to time. It's great! Any other clubs see a passing tourist trade?

There was Dortmund fans at the city genk game, wore the Dortmund colours and stood at the back of the st annes end with city fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

great to see the Gaza kids at the galway match enjoying themselves with the lads in block f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

great to see the Gaza kids at the galway match enjoying themselves with the lads in block f

They were down at our ground mid week as well. Great to see their getting a good trip around anyway.

• Advertisement

The attendance in Galway last night was helped by the Galway cup too. Over 2,000 at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Omackeral wrote: »
    Posted this in the weekly fixture thread but might get a bit more traction here. Last night a good few tourists from Europe where in the singing section at Dalymount having some craic. At least two of them bought new jerseys in the club shop and where leading sing-songs in the bar at half time. We always seem to get a handful of these loons from time to time. It's great! Any other clubs see a passing tourist trade?

Was about 200 Americans who were over for the Limerick cup at the Markets field last weekend for the Limerick and Shels game. Was there second year coming and second year buying out the club shop so how bad.

Nearly always seems to be some Germans at league matches in Richmond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

kksaints wrote: »
    Nearly always seems to be some Germans at league matches in Richmond.

The lads are probably from Aldi scouting new store locations.

http://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai-expresses-disappointment-with-st-patricks-athletics-statement

FAI statement on our statement yesterday. Followed by:

http://stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=7257#.V6YGADU2HSN

Our response to the FAI statement. We dont seem to be holding back anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Good on you's. Hopefully more clubs follow

The last paragraph of the Pats statement is too good :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Dundalk with this

http://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai-arranges-aviva-stadium-for-dundalk-to-host-ucl-qualifier

And Cork, Bohs, Wexford can't really object at this stage, FAI developing big centre in Cork, involved in Dalymount, and helped Wexford in ferrycarrig, and none of the 8 2nd division clubs can refuse €5,000 (even if it's only the equivalent of 2 paying spectators a week at matches)

I admire Derry and Pats for their stand. In other circumstances I would have expected Dundalk, Cork and Rovers , to name but three, to join Pats and Derry but I can see why they won't or can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Hoping we wait til everyone else rejects it and then take the 100k for ourselves.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Hoping we wait til everyone else rejects it and then take the 100k for ourselves.

Spread out over 100 years :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I feel giving clubs 5k is a bit like tipping a waiter 50 cent.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I'd love to see a calculation done on how much clubs give to the FAI during the year to what they get out of it:

So that'd be fines, entry fee, split of the cup games gates that go to them etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I feel giving clubs 5k is a bit like tipping a waiter 50 cent.

It is, but no way would any of the first division clubs be able to decline it. That's 2 or 3 weeks wagebill in a division where some teams are far more than that behind on wage payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

We'll take it too. We're not broke but 5k is good money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'd love to see a calculation done on how much clubs give to the FAI during the year to what they get out of it:

So that'd be fines, entry fee, split of the cup games gates that go to them etc.

I'd hazard a guess at the 2 figures bring similar enough.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement