Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

As for what the correct make up is, Shels need to find an area where they can grow and build the club.
    Swords, Fingal, Ringsend etc should all be on the table.
    Currently the plan from the FAI/The council seems to be we're sorting out Bohs so we'll bring you along.
    There needs to be a bit more thought put into where Shels go next.

Pats probably need to move out of Inchicore too as their fan base seems to be stuck at 1200.
    There's also a large loan leveraged on the ground,
    Somewhere like Swords may be an option.
    They wouldn't be 10 mins from Dallymount and would have their own patch to operate out of.
    Of course you're correct that Shels will have to work to build a fan base but that just won't happen in their current area.
    A few years ago, they were 90 minutes away from the CL and winning all around them and they were struggling to get 1,200 people in for league games. In fairness, Pats also have similar problems due mostly to poor location.

There are massive population bases in Ringsend, Fingal, Swords that Shels could tap into.

The people of Swords/Fingal had Sporting Fingal not even 10 years ago. They played good football and even won the FAI Cup and had some good European results. People simply didn't get out and support them. Before that we had the Dublin City gimmick too, even wore the GAA colours! Both Sporting Fingal and Dublin City were in the top flight and were lucky to get 100 people at a game, I don't think parachuting First Division Shels in there would be all that different to be honest.

As for moving St Pats there, mental carry on IMO. Pats are a south inner city club, couldn't be more removed from Fingal. They draw from working class areas such as Inchicore, Ballyfermot, Drimnagh, Clondalkin and Bluebell. They've a base to work off where they are with an identity. They'd fare no better in North County Dublin and it would alienate their current fan base.

Time to give County Kerry a bash at the LOI I think. Waive the fee for the inaugural season (if they have the right planning) and see how they perform. Could have another Wexford Youths situation down there potentially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

While I always enjoyed beating Shels, don't like hearing that either. LOI needs Shels.

The LOI needs clubs who have their houses in order and are able to attract good numbers through their turnstiles. Shells have been unable to do this for a lon time. Is the premier weaker as a result? No. Is the 1st division more attractive with their presense? No.

For balance - people said the same when we were in trouble years ago - "The LOI needs a strong Cork City". The premier didnt exactly struggle or miss us too much. The league doesnt need anyone one club ever. It needs strong well run clubs.
    Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    You mean Shels never did the same thing? Because a list of dissolved companies on the CRO would suggest that they did, back when the league and company law were much more forgiving to phoenix clubs. That gets highlighted a lot less, just because the internet wasn't around when they were going bust/getting kicked out of the league and being refounded.

And if I recall correctly, the thing that's stopping ye from winding up and starting again now is that ye'd lose the lease on Tolka. Which, correct me if I'm wrong, was the same thing ye were able to use as security to borrow all that enabled ye to dominate in the league in the early 00s and nearly get in the Champions League.

Much like the new club at Tolka formed in 2007.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Omackeral wrote: »

Time to give County Kerry a bash at the LOI I think. Waive the fee for the inaugural season (if they have the right planning) and see how they perform. Could have another Wexford Youths situation down there potentially.

Tralee dynamos in the LOI or a new club of a few district league clubs ie dynamos and castle island or killarney possibly dingle?

didn't dynamos applied to join the LOI before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

The Kerry district league have entered a team in the national 17s league and could have a 15s, 17s and 19s team next season so a senior team from Kerry might not be too far away. The Mayo district league has also drawn up a strategic plan on having a senior team in the first division by 2020, they plan on entering a 17s team next season and working up towards a senior team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Tralee dynamos in the LOI or a new club of a few district league clubs ie dynamos and castle island or killarney possibly dingle?

didn't dynamos applied to join the LOI before

Pretty sure they were in the A division or whatever it was called when that ran a few years ago.

Pretty sure they were in the A division or whatever it was called when that ran a few years ago.

They were and applied for a licence to join the first division when the A Championship was disbanded but were turned down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

They wouldn't be 10 mins from Dallymount and would have their own patch to operate out of.
    Of course you're correct that Shels will have to work to build a fan base but that just won't happen in their current area.
    A few years ago, they were 90 minutes away from the CL and winning all around them and they were struggling to get 1,200 people in for league games. In fairness, Pats also have similar problems due mostly to poor location.

There are massive population bases in Ringsend, Fingal, Swords that Shels could tap into.

The bus from Swords passes right by Tolka. I think there's also a bus from Ringsend that goes up that way too. Shels need to get these people to their games rather than up sticks in my opinion. Obviously they're not bothering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Reading through this thread I have no idea how we're the ones that get called the bitter ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

CSF wrote: »
    Reading through this thread I have no idea how we're the ones that get called the bitter ones.

Years of experience!!

Bad loss for city tonight, missed a great opportunity to get close to Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

We won 3-1 in Tallaght in the EA Sports cup semi-final. Final against Limerick. Very likely to be in Markets Field particularly after our statements at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

And with Dundalks loss on Friday, Cork City once again bottle it when it matters most and lose 2-1 at home to Sligo. Ive never seen a team so afraid to top Dundalk, and do you know what, everyone knew theyd bottle it again tonight, its just classic Cork City. Run the season out now and try and keep hold of second spot.

kksaints wrote: »
    We won 3-1 in Tallaght in the EA Sports cup semi-final. Final against Limerick. Very likely to be in Markets Field particularly after our statements at the weekend.

Surprised with that result especially in Tallaght and I agree it will probably be on in Limerick for definite after yer statements. No discreet to Pats but after beating Derry away in the semis I wouldn't fear Pats, more so now if the final is at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

CHealy wrote: »
    And with Dundalks loss on Friday, Cork City once again bottle it when it matters most and lose 2-1 at home to Sligo. Ive never seen a team so afraid to top Dundalk, and do you know what, everyone knew theyd bottle it again tonight, its just classic Cork City. Run the season out now and try and keep hold of second spot.

No need for that negativity, Dundalk will drop plenty more points before the season ends. Agreed it was anot opportunity wasted but they played better in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

CHealy wrote: »

Cork will have plenty of opportunities to catch Dundalk. Dundalk are not set up to play in Champions League/Europa League group stages and the league.

Our squad is too small for that. I see us dropping quite a few points. The league is there for the taking. If Cork don't do it this year, they'll never win it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Surprised with that result especially in Tallaght and I agree it will probably be on in Limerick for definite after yer statements. No discreet to Pats but after beating Derry away in the semis I wouldn't fear Pats, more so now if the final is at home.

No need to fear either side there tonight. I felt like I was watching the exact same game as the league fixture earlier. Rovers in control first half, Pats score a scrappy soft equaliser from corner at the back post on half time and wrap it up by two goals in the second half.

Of course Dundalk will drop more points. But we will drop more.

Huge opportunity pissed away tonight. Massive. But in typical CCFC fashion the opportunity was not taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Cork will have plenty of opportunities to catch Dundalk. Dundalk are not set up to play in Champions League/Europa League group stages and the league.

Our squad is too small for that. I see us dropping quite a few points. The league is there for the taking. If Cork don't do it this year, they'll never win it.
    Did Alan Keane play for you tonight? Decent signing to fill out the squad a little I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Hi lads, quick question. Been floating in and out of interest with the LoI the last few years and I think it's about time I go to a game. Used to go to some of the Kilkenny City games years ago but haven't been to ones since.

I was looking at going to the Pats game Friday evening. Anyone give me any advice about going? How much are tickets and can I get them at the stadium? Anywhere for a decent pint before the game?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Did Alan Keane play for you tonight? Decent signing to fill out the squad a little I'd say.

Not in tonight's squad.

• Advertisement

AgileMyth wrote: »

We had a player called Aaron Kane playing centre half who bore an uncanny resemblance to Alan Keane. He's a player I've always admired. He looks very fit and we need cover at right back.

dfx- wrote: »
    No need to fear either side there tonight. I felt like I was watching the exact same game as the league fixture earlier. Rovers in control first half, Pats score a scrappy soft equaliser from corner at the back post on half time and wrap it up by two goals in the second half.

Haven't seen either team play this season but next weekends fai cup game against Pats should be even more interesting now.

We had a player called Aaron Kane playing centre half who bore an uncanny resemblance to Alan Keane. He's a player I've always admired. He looks very fit and we need cover at right back.

Were Mulcahy and Browne not at CB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Yep Browne was excellent. Mulcahy is 38 and should be nowhere near the squad, no idea why he has been brought in

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Were Mulcahy and Browne not at CB?

I was talking about Dundalk's friendly with Everton tonight.

Yep Browne was excellent. Mulcahy is 38 and should be nowhere near the squad, no idea why he has been brought in

Bit strange alright. Glad McSweeney got a break after his awful display last week.
    Too indecisive a player at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Apparently wasn't great last season but no one was for us. Solid cover. He's always the fittest one on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Junior D wrote: »
    Hi lads, quick question. Been floating in and out of interest with the LoI the last few years and I think it's about time I go to a game. Used to go to some of the Kilkenny City games years ago but haven't been to ones since.

I was looking at going to the Pats game Friday evening. Anyone give me any advice about going? How much are tickets and can I get them at the stadium? Anywhere for a decent pint before the game?

Sure can. If you're going to Inchicore from the city centre you can get either the 40 and 13 from O'Connell street outside the Burger King at Cathedral Street which drops you at Emmet Road across the road from Richmond. Or you can get the Luas from abbey or Jervis to Goldenbridge a 5 minute walk from Richmond. Tickets are €15 for adults €10 for Students/OAPs and you can get them at the stadium. Mcdowells reopened recently and is the closest bar to the ground. There is also Croughs and The Black Lion (Very good pub) very near.

I heard Mulcahy was terrible for us tonight. Cant really put too much blame on him when Caulfield thought it would be a good idea to sign a 38 year old. I'm happy with the Grimes signing as hopefully he'll take McNulty's place in the next year or so but what the hell was Caulfield thinking by not signing anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think your playing down your own team a bit there. The league is certainly not there for the taking right now. I'm sure there will be dropped points but ye are stronger than you are saying to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Brian motherf*cking Kerr.

RIP Fran Gavin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Jesus, Fran Gavin destroyed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Oat23 wrote: »
    Brian motherf*cking Kerr.

RIP Fran Gavin.

what???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Brian Kerr is a legend.
    Gavin saying the FAI has helped improve the league with Shamrock Rovers making the Europa was very bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Face in hands watching Fran Gavin there.

Don't know what Tony O'Donoghue was up to:mad:, Brian Kerr was making some actual points about the frustration of the league and the fans and he kept interrupting him to say "Fran needs time to answer"

"Fran needs time to answer" = FAI time to talk spin.

Bollix of a show. A chance for us to stick it up the FAI and Tony gets all PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

When I saw Kerr's reaction right after Gavin started talking I knew something amazing was about to happen.

http://imgur.com/0Ma9x0N

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Face in hands watching Fran Gavin there.

Don't know what Tony O'Donoghue was up to:mad:, Brian Kerr was making some actual points about the frustration of the league and the fans and he kept interrupting him to say "Fran needs time to answer"

"Fran needs time to answer" = FAI time to talk spin.

Bollix of a show. A chance for us to stick it up the FAI and Tony gets all PC.

O'Donoghue managed it marvelously. As the presenter, he couldn't let Kerr have the whole stage or else he would have been accused of bias.
    Gavin had to be given time to speak and counter the points Kerr was making. That's the essence of a debate. That he failed miserably by rambling about the FAI being responsible for Shams getting into the EL was all the better.

Anyone watching closely would have seen O'Donoghue staying quiet for a long time and letting Kerr tear into Gavin.
    Great show all round and we'll done Brian Kerr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Anyone watching closely would have seen O'Donoghue staying quiet for a long time and letting Kerr tear into Gavin.
    Great show all round and we'll done Brian Kerr.

This was at 12.30 on a Tuesday morning. Some timeslot for the most watchable programme of the season so far.

Kerr was making actual real life points for the clubs.

Fran Gavin was talking guff and claiming some credit for Shamrock Rovers European achievement 3 years ago.

A sure, it was a "great show all round"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

How many years has Brian had to wait before he could finally get a high-ranking FAI crony in his gunsights like that?

Absolutely nailed his former employers the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

No sound for me in that video.. anymore links?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/soccer-republic-30002764/10607596/?ap=1

From about 40 mins onwards.

Absolute embarrassment from the FAI and Fran Gavin.

That_Guy wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/soccer-republic-30002764/10607596/?ap=1

From about 40 mins onwards.

Absolute embarrassment from the FAI and Fran Gavin.

They wont be embarrassed. They will just put that down to Kerr being a malcontent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

On YouTube aswell for those that hate the RTE Player interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

If kerr is not already gone down as a legend he certainly is now

At this stage the fai need a complete overhaul and just pay them all off if needs be. It's a corrupt as anything has ever been seen.

Again Rte could have given that a longer segment than just 10 minutes. Could listen to Fran Gavins crap for hours with a bucket of popcorn. Taking credit for rover in europa league took it to a new level

If they are to take credit for Rovers being int he group stages, they also have to take the criticism for the 8 team first division, a few of whom are reluctant participants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

The ignorance is unbelievable, they want to be credited with running a dire league because they have implemented some standards. Players on 40 week contracts, teams coming close to bankruptcy, dire facilities, no promotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

You know, watching that clip, and you could actually come around to the FAI's line of thinking, specifically in relation to the Strategic Planning, as it does make sense and every club should have one.

However, and it's a big bloody however, the resentment that has been building and building in the past decade for the disdain the FAI has shown the League of Ireland means that people just won't accept a paltry 100k.

The reason the financial scandal stories are falling in the LOI is because we're losing clubs every season. I honestly don't ever see us getting out of it in this stage. It's awful to think but the LOI will forever be a league that is run poorly. I'd also have to disagree with Kerr with one point where he seemed to be pushing the troubles of athlone and Waterford into the FAI. That's not the FAI's fault that some teams are being run horrendously. Some level of responsibility also needs to be taken by the clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Anytime an LOI team does something big like Rovers in 2011 or Dundalk now, it's in spite of the FAI, not because of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

That_Guy wrote: »
    On YouTube aswell for those that hate the RTE Player interface.

I thought Stuey Byrne didn't know what to say at all. Just rambling on making the same point.
    Starts off with Frustations levels are at an all time high. Then says the exact same sentence straight after :P.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    You know, watching that clip, and you could actually come around to the FAI's line of thinking, specifically in relation to the Strategic Planning, as it does make sense and every club should have one.

You're absolutely right. It is a good idea but they've gone about it arseways. Ideally they should have hired a team of professionals or consultants to go to each club and help them put together a viable strategic plan. That may end up costing more than €100,000 but we'd get better results. Instead they've tossed each club €5,000 and said put it together yourselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement