Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Bateman wrote: »
    Hard to know with the Cousins thing. I was kind of surprised he was sacked. Why wait til Wexford beat them? They're more or less down now. Giving a new man a few months in the top division won't be great preparation for the first division IMO. Sometimes teams should give these things more thought than they do.

He wasn't sacked, he stepped down, he should have been sacked weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Keano will be signed by Dundalk on Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Farewell Tony Cousins, thanks for promotion and everything over the years but it had run its course.
    Alan Matthews to take over until the end of the season?

Surely it's time for clubs to start seeing sense and stop employing Alan Matthews?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

JoeyJJ wrote: »

Badly needed. Hopefully his fitness up to scratch as we need cover and increased competition for places. Could use another 2/3 players also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

doncarlos wrote: »
    Badly needed. Hopefully his fitness up to scratch as we need cover and increased competition for places. Could use another 2/3 players also
    Bizarre signing by Kenny, if true.

Alright, Keane will provide cover for right back and centre half and he's got vast experience, but he's finished as a player. Surely there are better options available?

Only a few seasons ago he was by far the best right full in the country, almost played like a second winger, but his conditioning deteriorated so rapidly it was scary. His legs are totally gone. Glad he never returned to GUFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Bizarre signing by Kenny, if true.

Not if you've seen Gannon's performances in the last two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

doncarlos wrote: »
    Badly needed. Hopefully his fitness up to scratch as we need cover and increased competition for places. Could use another 2/3 players

Missing Gartland obviously. Dundalk do have 3/4 players capable of stepping up to first team (Michael O'Connor played brilliantly for Derry when was on loan last year) but how to break them in? Up to now the first 14/15 picked themselves so no room for the likes of Poynton, the OConnors or even Maguire. Probably after the Wexford match (first alarm bells) small changes were needed but that was the Cork match and Gannon didn't play that night. Barrett caught for speed for the city goal. A more committed or talented bunch of players have never played for Dundalk. And to be fair Kenny has been building this particular team for Europe. I have and am continuing to enjoy the ride so whoever King Kenny decides to sign Or not to sign is good for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Kenny has already said Keane won't be signing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Not if you've seen Gannon's performances in the last two games.
    Gannon was going to keep Seamie out of the ireland team a few weeks back. Where did it all go wrong?

Hardly a bizzare signing. Has Kenny ever signed anyone from outside the country? Not too much available here at this time of year is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Derry sign a Spanish CB, Christian Castells, 31, until the end of the season.

http://www.derrycityfc.net/2016/08/defender-castells-joins-city/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Maybe Gannon suffering from fatigue, not the end of the world, a terrific defender and great going forward too, Cork incapable of taking advantage so Dundalk will continue to get away with minor dips in form,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

JoeyJJ wrote: »

What a strange signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Hopefully the Dundalk game is a good as this occasion back in 2002.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Bateman wrote: »
    Maybe Gannon suffering from fatigue, not the end of the world, a terrific defender and great going forward too, Cork incapable of taking advantage so Dundalk will continue to get away with minor dips in form,

Not exactly, We've gained a point on Dundalk, the goal difference that everybody said is worth another point to Dundalk is negated at least if we win the 2 games in hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Not exactly, We've gained a point on Dundalk, the goal difference that everybody said is worth another point to Dundalk is negated at least if we win the 2 games in hand

If, being the operative word.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

We only have one game in hand.

Dundalk lost two away games, City didn't take advantage with two home games. I know over the season it balances out but City are usually strong at home. And as Wilberto posts its 1 match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

As expected City bottle it again in the space of a week, bit earlier than expected this year but I suppose with Dundalk losing two in a row the lads wanted to forget about winning the league asap. Absolute disgusting performance again last Friday, Bohs are muck and we were worse, a team of bottlers bar 1 or 2.

At least we have Derry away tonight.................

CHealy wrote: »
    As expected City bottle it again in the space of a week, bit earlier than expected this year but I suppose with Dundalk losing two in a row the lads wanted to forget about winning the league asap. Absolute disgusting performance again last Friday, Bohs are muck and we were worse, a team of bottlers bar 1 or 2.

At least we have Derry away tonight.................

Cork will find it difficult in the Brandywell. This is the game for Cork to show that they have the bottle to win a league.

A big part of Corks difficulties is the lack of a cutting edge up front. I can't remember the last goal they scored from open play. It may even be the winner against Dundalk months ago. Maguire is playing like the lad we grew frustrated with in Oriel last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Cork will find it difficult in the Brandywell. This is the game for Cork to show that they have the bottle to win a league.

A big part of Corks difficulties is the lack of a cutting edge up front. I can't remember the last goal they scored from open play. It may even be the winner against Dundalk months ago. Maguire is playing like the lad we grew frustrated with in Oriel last year.

Of course we will. Derry are in good form, we are not.

We showed in the last 2 home games we do not have the mentality to win the league.

Derry are at 9/4 to win tonight. Free money tbh.

If Cork City win up there tonight I'll present Soccer Republic in my underpants.

We are not a club that wins things, the history of senior football in Cork is like a gruesome murder scene, and the current club (unless of course you think we are only 6 years old), have only won the league twice, the last time being 11 years ago. We dont have the mentality of winning down here no matter how much we think we should be entitled to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I feel sorry for Maguire to be honest, yes he has missed some chances but most of his play is being forced into dropping deep holding up the ball, pass it off and repeat. He's a striker who we don't use AS a striker in general play, I can't remember the last time we played a through ball to him to run onto. Our other strikers have suffered that fate in recent years too then bundled off to play on the right wing instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Corholio wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Maguire to be honest, yes he has missed some chances but most of his play is being forced into dropping deep holding up the ball, pass it off and repeat. He's a striker who we don't use AS a striker in general play, I can't remember the last time we played a through ball to him to run onto. Our other strikers have suffered that fate in recent years too then bundled off to play on the right wing instead.

That's all on caulfield and the year before, long balls up to the front players bypassing the midfield which the invested money in. Think it was miller and Healy spent most of that season watching the ball passing over them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Cork city are a joke

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Third time I've seen Wexford in Tallaght, still don't know what to make of them, they looked very dis-spirited at the end and the defenders were walking red cards late on.

Rovers should've been 0-2 down and yet should've won 7-1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

dfx- wrote: »
    Third time I've seen Wexford in Tallaght, still don't know what to make of them, they looked very dis-spirited at the end and the defenders were walking red cards late on.

Rovers should've been 0-2 down and yet should've won 7-1.

The lads are shattered at the moment, and our squad is seriously depleted. No fit right winger of any description, and just loads of semi-fit lads on the bench. Hope we rest absolutely everyone for the cup game versus Sligo.

That's all on caulfield and the year before, long balls up to the front players bypassing the midfield which the invested money in. Think it was miller and Healy spent most of that season watching the ball passing over them

The thing is this season it hasn't been like that at all, except where we've been losing or needing to score with 20 minutes to go. The play from the start has been of good quality until it gets to the strikers.

Cork city are a joke

You can say that again,

Cork City havnt scored from open play since we scored against Dundalk in early June, including Europe, I think its 10 games. We are in deep trouble now. John Caulfield will always be a legend to me, having grown up watching him bang them in infront of the Shed End, but I cant see how he can bring us any further as is, if/when we finish second again this year, I think that should be that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

You can say that again,

Cork City havnt scored from open play since we scored against Dundalk in early June, including Europe, I think its 10 games. We are in deep trouble now. John Caulfield will always be a legend to me, having grown up watching him bang them in infront of the Shed End, but I cant see how he can bring us any further as is, if/when we finish second again this year, I think that should be that.

I agree that Caulfield needs to go. Tommy Dunne before him had to go because he'd taken us as far as he was capable of. Now its the same with Caulfield. He's done a good job getting us to where we are now but I think he's taken us as far as he can.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think, be careful what you wish for.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »

Caulfield needs to get a creative player in midfield. Someone like Finn or McEleney. However, that is probably the difference between Caulfield and Kenny. Caulfield doesn't trust that type of player, while Kenny loves them.

Caulfield needs to get a creative player in midfield. Someone like Finn or McEleney. However, that is probably the difference between Caulfield and Kenny. Caulfield doesn't trust that type of player, while Kenny loves them.

What are you basing this on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Is Hoolohan the most similar player at cork? Doesn't play much, lack of trust?

Finn was brought in to replace Towell one creative player for another - Brucie Bonus- Towell didn't leave for a year , both played on same team = most goals scored in a season, breaking the previous total which stood for nearly 100 years. (Think it was 1923 the previous record was set)

McEleney was then bought to replace Towell and he is very very good but a little bit injury prone. Hopefully Dundalk can get him right for rest of season. Kenny loves creative midfield players.

Maybe JC does too but according to CC supporters on here there are no goals being created from midfield. That's White Horse sees on here.

In Caulfield's case, from the players he signs and then the one's he plays consistently.

Kenny started the away game against BATE with Finn, McEleney, and Horgan on the pitch. That bordered on recklessness but is typical of his desire of his team to be creative.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

In Caulfield's case, from the players he signs and then the one's he plays consistently.

Kenny started the away game against BATE with Finn, McEleney, and Horgan on the pitch. That bordered on recklessness but is typical of his desire of his team to be creative.

Whereas Caulfield sets up with a thou shall not score against us type attitude.
    Reckon he will go at the end of the season.

Reading a few pages back certainly looks like cork city won't be sacking caulfield at all, and who the hell are foras, and why do they own cork city? never knew they are owned by them, and yeah i honestly don't think the board will make that decision as certainly they're after a great profit this year..

How is that reckless? Horgan and Finn are the first names on the sheet, McEleney is coming back from injury but he's still one of the best players in the league. If we had those players at City, Caulfield would have started them the same as Kenny, every manager in the league would have. You are overestimating Kennys confidence.

I agree with you there definitely. I remember when Caulfield signed Holohan it was all bluster about our attacking intent, then when Holohan came into the team and played well, he dropped him and didn't play him game after game. Holohan hasn't taken any of his chances this season but from that initial season he came in, you could see the type of midfield JC wants and it wasn't creative.

I'm a big fan of Gearoid but he has stagnated this season and has performed poorly, Buckley hasn't improved in 4 years in and out of the team and should not be starting at all, the amount he brings to games is minimal. The focus has been more on an 'athletic' midfield rather than a creative one, which affects the strikers too.

Reading a few pages back certainly looks like cork city won't be sacking caulfield at all, and who the hell are foras, and why do they own cork city? never knew they are owned by them, and yeah i honestly don't think the board will make that decision as certainly they're after a great profit this year..

Out of interest, who do you support?

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    Out of interest, who do you support?

Cork

Cork

And you do not know who FORAS are?

Cork

I dont think you do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork

A city fan not knowing who foras are? Never met one of them before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

In fairness he might be a young enough buck, wouldn't be overly critical. Lets be inclusive of people interested in learning and discussing.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    A city fan not knowing who foras are? Never met one of them before.

Iv also never heard any City fan say "Cork" in response to who they follow, its always "Cork City" or more commonly "City"..............grab the pitchforks lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Friends of the rebel army society. Good explanation of the ownership situation on Wikipedia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Is it humane to have Anthony Buttimer put down?

If last night puts a stop to our late push for Europe thats a lot of money he's cost us.

I distinctly remember him giving bohs a win against us a few years back too. Penalties that time, red cards and dodgy frees this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

AgileMyth wrote: »

If last night puts a stop to our late push for Europe thats a lot of money he's cost us.

I distinctly remember him giving bohs a win against us a few years back too. Penalties that time, red cards and dodgy frees this time.

Yes and I'll pay the vets fees for you too if you want. I've seen junior refs who are better than him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

AgileMyth wrote: »

Were you at the game? RTE didn't show the foul leading to the freekick Bohs scored, but some of our fans are saying Wearen dived?

I'm not convinced that was a straight red on Peers either as Akinade kicked the ball towards the corner flag. Not sure how it was a goalscoring opportunity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement