Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    In fairness he might be a young enough buck, wouldn't be overly critical. Lets be inclusive of people interested in learning and discussing.

He said in another post a few pages back thats he's been going to matches for 25 years. You'd have to have your head really deep in the sand to not know who FORAS are if you were following the club that long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Oat23 wrote: »
    Were you at the game? RTE didn't show the foul leading to the freekick Bohs scored, but some of our fans are saying Wearen dived?

I'm not convinced that was a straight red on Peers either as Akinade kicked the ball towards the corner flag. Not sure how it was a goalscoring opportunity.
    No. I live abroad so have to rely on others! Had a few reliable sources at the game last night. Dive for the free and definitely not a red, from all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Oat23 wrote: »
    Were you at the game? RTE didn't show the foul leading to the freekick Bohs scored, but some of our fans are saying Wearen dived?

I'm not convinced that was a straight red on Peers either as Akinade kicked the ball towards the corner flag. Not sure how it was a goalscoring opportunity.
    Definitely not a red card. But ref's in the league are obsessed with giving cards probablu because the FAi make alot of money with fines. Also the last man rule is now different & not an automatic red unless the player is not going for the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

MD1990 wrote: »
    Definitely not a red card. But ref's in the league are obsessed with giving cards probablu because the FAi make alot of money with fines. Also the last man rule is now different & not an automatic red unless the player is not going for the ball.

There never was a last man back rule. The law was denying a clear goalscoring oppurtunity. The change has been that if a player makes a genuine attempt to play the ball in the box but fouls their opponent the penalty is awarded but no red card as the clear goalscoring opportunity is still available via the penalty. If it is outside the box a red card would still be the correct decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I was at the Bohs game, it was a yellow and the frees edge of box were indeed very soft, no contact from my view of straight on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Lovely win tonight, above Harps now. It'd be great if bray could put together to good halves in a season at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Matthews back to Longford. #prayforlongford

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Ara Galway lost again. Lucky they had such a strong start really. Saw Dunne saying there's a lack if desire on extra time last week and looking at the results it's fairly obvious. Just resting on their relative safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Alan ****in Mathews...fcuk sake, football is ****e anyway....and some clowns happy he is back

Can Longford get even more relegated?

• Advertisement

Surely there's someone in the setup there that'd take the job on cheaper than paying a spoofer like Mathews. Can't make sense of that appointment at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Longford fan over here. I dunno lads, I personally didn't want him back, but, I'm not sure we have many chips to bargain with either. Alan has played for us, and obviously had the management stint with us before, so he obviously has some affinity with the place, that hopefully, just maybe means that he will do everything he can to turn both the clubs fortunes and his own around, it's probably a bit of a last chance saloon for himself in any case, so it has to work, he'll struggle to get another job if this goes badly, given how everything has gone for him post Shels.

Genuinely worried about the money men behind the club pulling the plug in the not too distant future, we simply aren't getting the crowds, even when things are going well, I have no idea how it's sustainable.

While I'm here.. don't like to share this stuff too often, in case I bug people, but for those who don't know me, I make illustrations of LOI footballers and the like, I have a dedicated thread on boards where I occasionally throw up new work, over here! I'll leave one example of my work, just to give you an idea whether it's worth clicking over or not :)

CqU26sjXgAAaVLz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Heard tonight that the referees inspector thought the referee in the Dundalk Legia match had a poor match. Beside both penalty decisions he was extremely lenient with their centre backs consistent and sometimes quite nasty fouling on McMillan in particular. Two Dundalk yellows from 7 frees, 2 Legia yellows from 21 frees. Hopefully he won't get any more matches this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

joeysoap wrote: »
    Heard tonight that the referees inspector thought the referee in the Dundalk Legia match had a poor match. Beside both penalty decisions he was extremely lenient with their centre backs consistent and sometimes quite nasty fouling on McMillan in particular. Two Dundalk yellows from 7 frees, 2 Legia yellows from 21 frees. Hopefully he won't get any more matches this year.
    Has he ever watched Anthony Butthead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

How's about a whip round for JD in his time of need? 5 grand per club should do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If thats true its good to hear, but no consolation for Dundalk in their biggest every match which could have brought them millions.

Its a shame that hard work and comittment from players, management, the entire club can be undone by a human making terrible decisions.

red sean wrote: »
    Has he ever watched Anthony Butthead?

Agreed, he's truly awful. Afaik he was suspended from refereeing totally after THAT semi final but he has got back somehow. (Anothr afaik, he threatened the FAI with court action unless he was restored. And another afaik,he has the money to back up court cases)

By agreement he's not allowed to referee any Dundalk matches.

NIMAN wrote: »
    If thats true its good to hear, but no consolation for Dundalk in their biggest every match which could have brought them millions.

Its a shame that hard work and comittment from players, management, the entire club can be undone by a human making terrible decisions.

He didn't apologise for the ref, just stated that he had a poor match. It was the refs first major match since March, he didn't get any preliminary rounds.

Lee Dixon has made no bones about the referee

Balls.ie - Timeline | Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com › posts
    View 16 more comments ... Watch: Dundalk Manager Stephen Kenny Was Livid With Legia's Penalty Decision ... Lee Dixon said the ref should never be allowed to referee again after the penalty ...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It was a bad refereeing performance, but nothing outrageous. Legia penalty was harsh. Dundak's penalty claim is rarely given for that type of foul. Yellow cards were a bit unbalanced. It's crap, but that's football. We see worse week in/week out here.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

GLaDOS wrote: »
    It was a bad refereeing performance, but nothing outrageous. Legia penalty was harsh. Dundak's penalty claim is rarely given for that type of foul. Yellow cards were a bit unbalanced. It's crap, but that's football. We see worse week in/week out here.

I dont get the uproar over it either to be honest, we see these penalties given and not given every week in leagues all over the world. If it was a Cork City game and it was given against us of course Id be livid, but if it was the other way I would have been screaming for it to be given, its just one of those things, ref has a split second to give it really. Kilduff knew exactly what he was doing up the other end for the Dundalk shout, it was smart play by him because again, sometimes those are given, just wasnt to be this time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Thought Kilduff went down rather theatrically tbh. Initial reaction was a dive. Definitely overplayed it, and that may have gone against him.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

NIMAN wrote: »

Yep, real money in the champions league, €2m for qualifying, plus €8m for participating, plus 3 good Aviva attendances, plus TV money. €500,000 for a win and €300,000 for a draw (but unlikely but you never know might sneak a draw somewhere along the line)

More likely now , €3m for elimination, €2.4 for participating, perhaps some TV money for one of the matches, €300,000 for a win and €150,000 for a draw (one draw would be nice) and maybe 3 matches in Aviva/Tallaght (might be lucky and get Man U but odds are against decent draw)

Ah well,

Still very happy days. :)

Agreed, he's truly awful. Afaik he was suspended from refereeing totally after THAT semi final but he has got back somehow. (Anothr afaik, he threatened the FAI with court action unless he was restored. And another afaik,he has the money to back up court cases)

By agreement he's not allowed to referee any Dundalk matches.
    And now we know why Dundalk keep winning the league.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    And now we know why Dundalk keep winning the league.

Absolutely, would probably be slugging it out for relegation if AB were in charge. Maybe worth 20 goals and 30 points? ;)

I think it's a mutual agreement between the FAI, AB the club that he takes himself offside for Dundalk matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Can Longford get even more relegated?

Hopefully ;):D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Keane announced for Dundalk, despite some here saying it wasn't happening :)

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Keane announced for Dundalk, despite some here saying it wasn't happening :)
    Its a no brainer to be fair. Decent cover across the back. Still keeps himself fit. Should be cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Its a no brainer to be fair. Decent cover across the back. Still keeps himself fit. Should be cheap too.

Dundalk have no backup right back and have been assessing Keane's fitness for two weeks.

Shiels is an interesting one. A player with a lot to prove. A typical Kenny signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

2 solid squad players.
    There may be an opportunity to bring in a few free agents from England when the transfer window shuts in a few days.

• Advertisement

2 solid squad players.
    There may be an opportunity to bring in a few free agents from England when the transfer window shuts in a few days.
    Has Kenny ever brought a player in from overseas? Don't think its a market he knows. What he's been doing is working, I imagine he'll stick to it.

Though there's more money there now, maybe the players will find him..

Edit: i guess dean shiels is coming from overseas, maybe there will be more to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Should be cheap too.

Doubt it. He had to pay back his tax rebate as he retired so I'd imagine he's on a nice wedge or offered an 18 month deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

If I was Dundalk & i suspect they are looking at him. I would get Dylan Connolly if he is staying in Ireland. Would be a great option off the bench especially in Europe with his pace.
    I would consider Akinade as well despite his past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Shiels is poor signing imo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Has Kenny ever brought a player in from overseas? Don't think its a market he knows. What he's been doing is working, I imagine he'll stick to it.

Certainly didn't work out for him with Jansson, Pieterse, Gilbert or even Gartland who I can't believe he saw play before signing him.
    MD1990 wrote: »
    If I was Dundalk & i suspect they are looking at him. I would get Dylan Connolly if he is staying in Ireland. Would be a great option off the bench especially in Europe with his pace.
    I would consider Akinade as well despite his past.

They can only take out of contract players I thought or those abroad..

Perhaps players could retire and come back...

Though there's more money there now, maybe the players will find him..

Edit: i guess dean shiels is coming from overseas, maybe there will be more to follow.

Thats more of a league wide issue.
    Since the mad wages dried up in the league there haven't been too many Jo Ndo calibre players and the league is much poorer for it.

Kenny worked in Scotland and I'd suspect that's how Shiels was sourced.
    He's limited with what he can do seeing as the transfer window is shut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

dfx- wrote: »
    Perhaps players could retire and come back...

Bit far fetched, even for this league. No club would stoop so low.

Thats more of a league wide issue.
    Since the mad wages dried up in the league there haven't been too many Jo Ndo calibre players and the league is much poorer for it.

Kenny worked in Scotland and I'd suspect that's how Shiels was sourced.
    He's limited with what he can do seeing as the transfer window is shut.
    There has never and will never be players of Joeys calibre in the league. He's a one off.

Shiels father is Derry manager. That'd be how he was sourced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Bit far fetched, even for this league. No club would stoop so low.

Thought you were talking about signing Akinade there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

There has never and will never be players of Joeys calibre in the league. He's a one off.

He used to live with Stephen O'Donnell. That may have been a factor

So Kenny Shiels recommended a player to a league rival?

He was far from a one off, there were a good few players of similar international calibre in the league in his time i.e Crowé, Byrne, Rutherford, Gamble, Livingstone Mbabazi etc.
    There just aren't players of that calibre in the league any more.

• Advertisement

Dundalk players appear to have a unique bond, in that they have gelled from the beginning in 2013. Too many new faces might upset the balance. Also Dundalk have some really good U19 players, so Kenny won't want them to feel there no future at Oriel. But there's 13 league matches, 6 Europa League matches and (at least) one cup match between now and the end of the season. That's 2 matches a week - every week. The draw for the Europa is tomorrow and there is some really nasty travelling combinations in that competition, Azerbaijan , Kazakhstan , Russia, Turkey etc. West Ham eliminated tonight, only 2 English sides remaining, draw will be crucial tomorrow. Legia drew Real Madrid today but the other two could have been better. Dundalk would have got no points in that group.

Final 48 now in co-efficient order, takes a few of the long distances out

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2017/accesslist/listofparticipants/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Anyone know when the uefa youth draw takes place? Cant find it at all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Anyone know when the uefa youth draw takes place? Cant find it at all

12 o'clock Tuesday.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

What a relatively terrible draw for Dundalk. A trip to Israel and a trip to Russia, and no teams that have major appeal like Utd, or Southampton and Inter Milan.

Still though, better than not being there at all I suppose! Best of luck in each of the group games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Wilberto wrote: »
    What a relatively terrible draw for Dundalk. A trip to Israel and a trip to Russia, and no teams that have major appeal like Utd, or Southampton and Inter Milan.

Still though, better than not being there at all I suppose! Best of luck in each of the group games.

They've gotten lucky that their trips to Russia and Israel aren't until November and December so they shouldn't hamper their chances in the league with the extensive travelling.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

They've gotten lucky that their trips to Russia and Israel aren't until November and December so they shouldn't hamper their chances in the league with the extensive travelling.

I was thinking more along the lines that it'll eat into their prize money a little bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Wilberto wrote: »
    I was thinking more along the lines that it'll eat into their prize money a little bit.

They've a guaranteed €7million in the bank plus they'll receive more for TV I think, spending a couple of thousand for the two away trips isn't the end of the world especially if you get a result.

They've a guaranteed €7million in the bank plus they'll receive more for TV I think, spending a couple of thousand for the two away trips isn't the end of the world especially if you get a result.

True. I guess I was just nitpicking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

For all you Dundalk fans a great deal bus return to all home games for €10

https://m.facebook.com/972776326149198/photos/a.1112762968817199.1073741828.972776326149198/1117004825059680/?type=3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Kevin o Connor and Seani McGuire in the Irish u-21 squad so City V Dalk next week is called off.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement