Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

We have played Rovers twice away last season, and after this season ends (In December 2016:D) we will have played them twice this season.

Cork had us away twice last season and this. I dont know how to decide this?

Dundalk played CCFC twice in Turners Cross is 2015.

CCFC will play Dundalk twice in Oriel in 2016.

its every second year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

CHealy wrote: »
    Explain please.
    in fairness i started quoting and realised it was just one but he explained himself better since my post (i had at least said some!).

for me the simple issue remains all european clubs got help and they made the most of it. I dont see why it should end now only one remains.
    The league fixtures have become a joke this year, even before Dundalk made the groups.... or maybe I just never noticed how bad it was from D1.

It is something league admin will really have to look at going forward, in addition to trying to minimize the effect on the smaller clubs. Your game v us probably would have had the guts of 1000 more at it if it was played in its original slot. It really is rich get richer and poor get poorer. Its very tedious listening to a club that benefited moan about another club benefiting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

We have played Rovers twice away last season, and after this season ends (In December 2016:D) we will have played them twice this season.

gimmick wrote: »
    Dundalk played CCFC twice in Turners Cross is 2015.

CCFC will play Dundalk twice in Oriel in 2016.

its every second year.

not sure why it's not always the case that it swaps around. Rovers played Derry away twice in 2015 and again in 2016. And Sligo away twice in 2015 and 2016.

And home to Galway twice in 2015 and 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Still nobody explaining who will foot the bill for clubs if the season is extended due to Dundalk earning millions in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Still nobody explaining who will foot the bill for clubs if the season is extended due to Dundalk earning millions in Europe.

The league will only be extended by three days, and will be used to possibly play the rearrange Dundalk vs Cork and every other team will finish on the 28th so nobody will be out of pocket unless you are talking about if the league starts four weeks earlier next season then it's up to clubs to come up with ways to make more money really, simple as.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

The league will only be extended by three days, and will be used to possibly play the rearrange Dundalk vs Cork and every other team will finish on the 28th so nobody will be out of pocket unless you are talking about if the league starts four weeks earlier next season then it's up to clubs to come up with ways to make more money really, simple as.

Has that match not already been scheduled for the 11th?

Wilberto wrote: »
    Has that match not already been scheduled for the 11th?

Yeah just saw that now and live on RTE 2. With it being live on telly would they postpone it because Cork play Galway on the 7th, the same night Ireland 21s play Serbia.

If the Dundak vs Cork game is played on the 11th and the cup replays are scheduled for the fourth then I'd say the three day extension might only be used for Dundalk or Cork (if they postpone the Galway game) to play someone like Shamrock Rovers or Pats (think they pay 52 week contacts) if they have a fixture remaining against any of them two or Derry if they make it to the cup final

So they could have a few options to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Two year cycles, this year is the first year of the two, Dundalk will be away twice to Cork City, Derry City, Sligo, Galway next year, home twice all the Dublin teams and Limerick (if they replace either Longford or Wexford) 17 home matches next year on that awful pitch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

joeysoap wrote: »
    Two year cycles, this year is the first year of the two, Dundalk will be away twice to Cork City, Derry City, Sligo, Galway next year, home twice all the Dublin teams and Limerick (if they replace either Longford or Wexford) 17 home matches next year on that awful pitch.

It really is beyond a joke and looks awful on TV aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Lee Chin's debut was quite good tonight, but overall the team played very poorly. Chin was brilliant physically and he looked remarkably calm. Would have no problem with him starting the rest of the games this season. Himself and Gary Delaney would be grand together. Prefer him at centre-half to Lee Grace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Great win for Dundalk. 1 nil down to come back & win 3-1 is a great result.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    It really is beyond a joke and looks awful on TV aswell.

Word in the town is Oriel is sorted once the local council are paid arrears of rates on the youth development centre (€400,0000) owed by the present owner. So maybe next year the last year. It does Dundalk no favours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Lee Chin's debut was quite good tonight, but overall the team played very poorly. Chin was brilliant physically and he looked remarkably calm. Would have no problem with him starting the rest of the games this season. Himself and Gary Delaney would be grand together. Prefer him at centre-half to Lee Grace.

Were bray worth the win? Missing connolly didn't appear to matter, on some run now.

Mushy wrote: »
    Were bray worth the win? Missing connolly didn't appear to matter, on some run now.

Yes, we made two big howlers for the first two. Keeper palmed a shot straight at Mark Salmon for the first goal, and our LB gave the ball straight to Pender for an easy 1-on-1 for the second. Don't really remember the third Bray goal, was broadcasting and very distracted by something else..

https://twitter.com/TTsrfc/status/779427159429570566

Twelve points for Rovers' win and into second place in the RTE table tonight. But Cork do have seven games in hand and five on Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,051 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

MD1990 wrote: »
    Great win for Dundalk. 1 nil down to come back & win 3-1 is a great result.

Have to say they fully deserved it.

When we took the lead I started to dream, but Dundalk on a different level to the rest of the league. The fact that Cork could yet pip them for the title baffles me. I watched Cork and they are just a strong physical team, not even close to Dundalk in terms of watchability.

I thought Dundalk might have been tired tonight, but they showed no signs of it. Having said that, I think we put in a good shift tonight, at least we didn't park the bus and tried to play a game of football against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Disappointed with the Youths performance tonight. Equally disappointed with the Wexford 'football loving' public did not come out to support their local club. As for the Official Secrets Act, it's still as watertight at Ferrycarrig as it's always been

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Enjoyable game in Oriel Park last night. It was so refreshing to see a team come to Oriel Park to attack. Kenny Shiels is building something very exciting in Derry. They moved the ball quick, were good in possession, and very mobile. I can see them challenging next season. The difference between the teams was Daryl Horgan. I've been watching LOI football for 40 years and I've never seen a player with his speed, strength, and ability to turn on a sixpence. He is something very special.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Our usual end of season slump. This time we'll be lucky to even get a playoff place. A Cobh win tonight means we cannot have any more slip ups.

• Advertisement

Disappointed with the Youths performance tonight. Equally disappointed with the Wexford 'football loving' public did not come out to support their local club. As for the Official Secrets Act, it's still as watertight at Ferrycarrig as it's always been

Attendance was 571 apparently, not bad I thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

No, not simple as.

If that's the case, Cork's season is being extended into the following week.

Who will pay their players wages that week? Cork don't need the season extended and will not have budgeted for an extra week's wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Attendance was 571 apparently, not bad I thought

Fair enough, I wouldn't have thought that though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

The difference between the teams was Daryl Horgan. I've been watching LOI football for 40 years and I've never seen a player with his speed, strength, and ability to turn on a sixpence. He is something very special.
    Think you're over selling Derry's performance a bit. They did indeed contribute to a very enjoyable game but I thought Dundalk were just way too strong for them all over their pitch. Patterson barely got a touch all night. Finn and O'Donnell were brilliant at snuffing out the Derry attacks before they got into the final third. McNamee was causing problems early on but he looked knackered in their second half.

Derry are a good team but they have a fair way to go yet to reach the standards required to challenge for a title. I really am amazed at how fresh and fit Dundalk are looking. They really are a credit to themselves and those fitness levels are a big reason as to why they're performing so well in Europe.

Horgan is an absolute joy to watch. He could have scored three had he been a bit greedier last night. Massey very good as well. Only minor negative with the team is the continuing average displays coming from Gannon.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    No, not simple as.

If that's the case, Cork's season is being extended into the following week.

Who will pay their players wages that week? Cork don't need the season extended and will not have budgeted for an extra week's wages.

Of course they'll have budgeted for an extra week. Team like Cork would be aiming for the fai cup final every year and I doubt they'll wait until the last minute and then worry about how they'll pay their players for the couple of weeks in November to play said final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

NIMAN wrote: »
    Have to say they fully deserved it.

When we took the lead I started to dream, but Dundalk on a different level to the rest of the league. The fact that Cork could yet pip them for the title baffles me. I watched Cork and they are just a strong physical team, not even close to Dundalk in terms of watchability.

I thought Dundalk might have been tired tonight, but they showed no signs of it. Having said that, I think we put in a good shift tonight, at least we didn't park the bus and tried to play a game of football against them.

Not as good as Dundalk certainly, but more than 'just a strong physical team' absolutely. I personally thought Derry were very poor altogether, and as good as Dundalk were, I'd be very disappointed if City played against them and were as blunt as that up front, would hardly have known Patterson was playing at all.

• Advertisement

Ref on strike tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Ref on strike tonight?
    No penalty for Cork, no red cards for us. Don't think there was a ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Dave Mulcahy is on a hatrick. That's amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cork been fantastic so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

5-3 in the end. Great to see us score 5. Even better to see a 38 year old centre back score two.:pac:

Those 3 goals conceded are a bit of a let down though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Very good for 70 minutes or so. Cant complain. Crowd was poor 1600-17 thereabouts.

That Galway no 14 got 2 lovely goals. The first was made when he picked up ball in his own half beat 2 men passed it off and got it back in box. He impressed me that lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

5-3 in the end. Great to see us score 5. Even better to see a 38 year old centre back score two.:pac:

Those 3 goals conceded are a bit of a let down though.

Correlation? :pac:

That's an excellent hard fought point up in Derry in the circumstances for Rovers and a good time for McPhail to get a rare league goal.

Tommy Dunne sacked by Galway.

Strange one. They are comfortably safe and could finish a bit higher if they put a few back to back. Is there something more to it?

Feel sorry for him. Liked him as City manager even if his sacking at the end was inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Tommy Dunne sacked by Galway.

Strange one. They are comfortably safe and could finish a bit higher if they put a few back to back. Is there something more to it?

Feel sorry for him. Liked him as City manager even if his sacking at the end was inevitable.

Think the official terminology in the paper was "parted ways", I highly doubt he was sacked, especially seeing as he signed a two year contract only last November, Galway wouldnt be that stupid would they?

I think whats after happening is that he's being offered the Shamrock Rovers job and he's taking the rest of the season off to try and sort out his bits and pieces there. IMO of course.

CHealy wrote: »
    Think the official terminology in the paper was "parted ways", I highly doubt he was sacked, especially seeing as he signed a two year contract only last November, Galway wouldnt be that stupid would they?

I think whats after happening is that he's being offered the Shamrock Rovers job and he's taking the rest of the season off to try and sort out his bits and pieces there. IMO of course.

Interesting angle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Interesting angle.

I like it

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Rovers bound I was told literally this morning, then news broke. Bad appointment for them if true tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Rovers bound I was told literally this morning, then news broke. Bad appointment for them if true tbh.

Yep McPhail was asking our players about him after in our game with them down here a few weeks back. He had run ins with some of the players here, they havent been playing for him the last while, lost the dressing room to a degree. Hes too negative against big teams, makes changes way too late in games and didnt know our best eleven/formation for the last three months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Yep McPhail was asking our players about him after in our game with them down here a few weeks back. He had run ins with some of the players here, they havent been playing for him the last while, lost the dressing room to a degree. Hes too negative against big teams, makes changes way too late in games and didnt know our best eleven/formation for the last three months.

Sounds like all our managers since Michael O'Neill left.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Galway might be going for a player manager. Heard a name this morning, if true he would be an excellent choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Galway might be going for a player manager. Heard a name this morning, if true he would be an excellent choice.

Agreed, he's class.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

... why not name him?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Great choice

DvB wrote: »
    Sounds like all our managers since Michael O'Neill left.
    Apart from Stephen Kenny obviously!

Pighead wrote: »
    Apart from Stephen Kenny obviously!

Him more so in fact.
    He's done a good job up in Dundalk, but lets not rewrite history, he was a mess at Rovers & rightly got sacked for it. It was 100% the correct course of action at the time. Wrong man at the wrong time, it happens.

He joined you guys at the right time for the club & for him & the rewards have been reaped, enjoy it while it lasts.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Him more so in fact.
    He's done a good job up in Dundalk, but lets not rewrite history, he was a mess at Rovers & rightly got sacked for it. It was 100% the correct course of action at the time. Wrong man at the wrong time, it happens.

He joined you guys at the right time for the club & for him & the rewards have been reaped, enjoy it while it lasts.
    Stephen Kenny negative? Get out of town. Your lot pulled the trigger too early. You let the best manager in the league go after less than a year in the job. One of the biggest boardroom blunders the league has ever seen.

Pighead wrote: »
    Stephen Kenny negative? Get out of town. Your lot pulled the trigger too early. You let the best manager in the league go after less than a year in the job. One of the biggest boardroom blunders the league has ever seen.

I disagree.
    I witnessed Kennys' Rovers team each & every week, & it was a mess. Unfit, disorganized, tactically flawed & disjointed.

& for all their faults that Rovers board's biggest one with respect to Kenny was waiting so long before getting rid.

But if you prefer, rewrite the story to suit your agenda, those of us that watched the sorry story unfold know that Kenny deserved to be sacked by Rovers & no one that says otherwise will ever convince me to reconsider that opinion. I saw the car crash with my own eyes.

I'm not saying Kenny is a bad manager, but he was in his stint at Rovers, just like he was in his spell at Dunfermline.

GLaDOS wrote: »
    ... why not name him?

Because it wouldn't be fair to him or his current club if not true. Let's just say he still has a lot to offer his current club, even if what I heard turns out to be the truth

As for DvB: thanks a million, we couldn't have done it without you.

• Advertisement

As for DvB: thanks a million, we couldn't have done it without you.

Timing is everything. & hindsight is 20:20...

Enjoy the experience, I know we did until MoN left.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement