Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

DvB wrote: »
    I disagree.
    I witnessed Kennys' Rovers team each & every week, & it was a mess. Unfit, disorganized, tactically flawed & disjointed.

& for all their faults that Rovers board's biggest one with respect to Kenny was waiting so long before getting rid.

But if you prefer, rewrite the story to suit your agenda, those of us that watched the sorry story unfold know that Kenny deserved to be sacked by Rovers & no one that says otherwise will ever convince me to reconsider that opinion. I saw the car crash with my own eyes.

I'm not saying Kenny is a bad manager, but he was in his stint at Rovers, just like he was in his spell at Dunfermline.
    Again, giving a manager of Kenny's calibre less than a year in the job was ridiculous. Who knows why the team performed so badly that season. And when I say badly they were still in the two cups and forth or fifth in the league. Maybe the rot had set in with the players thinking they were superstars and losing a bit of hunger. It's going to take more than six months to fix a problem like that.

A manager renowned for his attacking, fit teams who is loved by the vast majority of players that play under him all of a sudden in your eyes plays negative dour football with unfit players.Come off it. Fact is Kenny was a brilliant manager before he went to you and he was a brilliant manager after he left you. It's not him, it's you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Pighead wrote: »
    Again, giving a manager of Kenny's calibre less than a year in the job was ridiculous. Who knows why the team performed so badly that season. And when I say badly they were still in the two cups and forth or fifth in the league. Maybe the rot had set in with the players thinking they were superstars and losing a bit of hunger. It's going to take more than six months to fix a problem like that.

A manager renowned for his attacking, fit teams who is loved by the vast majority of players that play under him all of a sudden in your eyes plays negative dour football with unfit players.Come off it. Fact is Kenny was a brilliant manager before he went to you and he was a brilliant manager after he left you. It's not him, it's you.

LOL, I was there, I witnessed it first hand. But lets not let the truth get in the way of a good Dundalk story.
    Enjoy!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

LOL, I was there, I witnessed it first hand. But lets not let the truth get in the way of a good Dundalk story.
    Enjoy!

Did sacking Stephen Kenny remove the problems that you witnessed during his brief tenure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

GLaDOS wrote: »
    ... why not name him?
    I'd take a stab at John Russell or Stephen O'Donnell. Both players are from Galway and have an affinity for the club and are doing their badges, moreso Russell. A total shot in the dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I'd take a stab at John Russell or Stephen O'Donnell. Both players are from Galway and have an affinity for the club and are doing their badges, moreso Russell. A total shot in the dark.

ODonnell currently managing DKIT in the top division of 3rd level league. He obviously sees management in his future. However why would he leave Dundalk at this stage of his career? Offers will undoubtedly come so no rush.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I disagree.
    I witnessed Kennys' Rovers team each & every week, & it was a mess. Unfit, disorganized, tactically flawed & disjointed.

& for all their faults that Rovers board's biggest one with respect to Kenny was waiting so long before getting rid.

But if you prefer, rewrite the story to suit your agenda, those of us that watched the sorry story unfold know that Kenny deserved to be sacked by Rovers & no one that says otherwise will ever convince me to reconsider that opinion. I saw the car crash with my own eyes.

I'm not saying Kenny is a bad manager, but he was in his stint at Rovers, just like he was in his spell at Dunfermline.

I was in favour of the Kenny appointment, but he had to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

There's obvious hindsight knowing what Kenny has done with Dundalk, but at the time, I thought his sacking from Rovers was very harsh.

He was nowhere near winning the league, true, and the early CL exit despite being seeded was bad. But Rovers were still in the League Cup final and the FAI Cup quarter-final. As far as I remember, he was sacked very shortly before they were due to take place. They lost both in the week and a half after he was sacked. Why not give him the extra 11 days to see if he could salvage something? Rovers were also unlucky losing the Setanta Cup semi-final by the odd goal, having lost the first leg 3-0 after an early sending off (hardly the manager's fault). And there was a good chance they could've gotten Europe via the league. They only ended up three points behind third. Michael O'Neill's massively successful few years definitely clouded judgement on the part of the fans and the board.

If the manager of Rovers next season won the FAI Cup and League Cup and finished third, would he deserved to be sacked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Way off the mark with those two id say, and i wouldnt want either. McPhail maybe, but again im not sure id want that kind of untested manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ger Pender scoring for fun now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

3 goals in 4 mins ( in both halves) help UCD to an 8-1 win in Waterford, some score that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

8-1!
    That'll get the confidence up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

I think at this stage Bray need a special mention for their Limerick-esque resurgence.... 5 wins in a row now, won 9, draw 5, lost 1 (cork away) of their last 15... Sligo only ahead in 5th on goal difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

8-1!
    That'll get the confidence up!

Arrive late, 10 minute warm up and hit 8 goals.

My heart goes out to Adam Feeney. One of only 2 subs that Waterford could name and deemed not good enough to replace any of his team mates during the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

overshoot wrote: »
    I think at this stage Bray need a special mention for their Limerick-esque resurgence.... 5 wins in a row now, won 9, draw 5, lost 1 (cork away) of their last 15... Sligo only ahead in 5th on goal difference!
    And a game in hand.

red sean wrote: »
    And a game in hand.
    aye eventually we will get that 90 mins in the showgrounds against ye... third time lucky and that

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Menapians

My heart goes out to Adam Feeney. One of only 2 subs that Waterford could name and deemed not good enough to replace any of his team mates during the match
    Adam Came on for Cory Galvin with 15mins left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Only 2 subs on the bench is ridiculous.
    Every club in the league has 2 youth teams now.
    There's no excuse to not have at least 5 amateur subs on the bench.
    Clubs should have to forfeit the game otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Whilst I agree to a point not having subs is madness how can the clubs in those positions in force that? Most amateur lads go to collage and have part time jobs. I'm sure if available they'd gladly sit on the bench but asking lads to get time off work to travel to away games that they most likely won't feature in is mental!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Why, I'm sure there's a rule somewhere that says you only need a minimum of 8 or 7 players on the field to play a game.

Why, I'm sure there's a rule somewhere that says you only need a minimum of 8 or 7 players on the field to play a game.

It's 7 I believe and that's a FIFA rule not FAI

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Whilst I agree to a point not having subs is madness how can the clubs in those positions in force that? Most amateur lads go to collage and have part time jobs. I'm sure if available they'd gladly sit on the bench but asking lads to get time off work to travel to away games that they most likely won't feature in is mental!!

It's called commiting to your sport.
    Players should be jumping at the chance to play for their hometown LOI club. Otherwise, what the hell are they doing in its youth teams?
    GAA intercounty teams have squads of over 30 players drawn from all over the county/country. Many of whom won't get a game but will train just as much as the ones who do.
    If Waterford or anywhere else can't get 16 players in a squad it's a damning indictment of them and the league.

We are expecting crowds to show up when the teams can't even put together full squads?

It feeds into a poor perception of the league and it's a continuation of how poorly Waterford are being run.

If you believe that the commitment from GAA players to their clubs and county team is the same as with soccer teams where you have have lads chopping and changing teams if their subbed then I don't know what planet you live on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Happier times, that was a good Waterford team.

Waterford got the draw that most teams only dream about, Man U were the holders of the European Cup. Match played in Lansdowne to a full house.

http://irishphotoarchive.photoshelter.com/gallery/1968-Waterford-Vs-Manchester-United/G0000bf5wn2vz2lY/C0000mCGvJrfO5gk

By the sound of it Waterford are very close to where Dundalk were in 2012, though I don't think Dundalk were short of players, just cash, and an owner who was disillusioned. Dundalk got lucky (not all luck but luck all the same) with the new owners. Appointing Roddy was probably a throw of the dice that didn't work out. I hope they work their way out of this but the 1st division as currently constituted is soul destroying, hard to get good attendances unless you are in the top 3/4, and the football by and large is average at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Menapians wrote: »
    Adam Came on for Cory Galvin with 15mins left

Goals were going in too thick and fast for Extratime.ie to put that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Can't remember the last time we were on such a run and on the cusp of such a high finish either. There's still a part of me saying it'll tail off and we'll just about avoid relegation once again. Bray fans aren't use to these lofty expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Can't remember the last time we were on such a run and on the cusp of such a high finish either. There's still a part of me saying it'll tail off and we'll just about avoid relegation once again. Bray fans aren't use to these lofty expectations.

Will Connolly be with ye next season? He has been quality this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

kksaints wrote: »

Not a bray fan, but I'd reckon he could be Dundalk bound, especially when horgan gets his move to England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I don't live at home so most of what I pick up is online.

If I heard correctly, he won't be easy to get but that's nothing official and it wasn't from a "in the know" source.

we scored :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

kksaints wrote: »

I think he's on a 2 year contract, I know some players are. He'll surely get a move, definitely good enough, but hopefully not.

I've made it to one match lately, it had to be the loss of course.

FFS Limerick!!! Of all the games you could have lost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

overshoot wrote: »
    we scored :eek::eek:

Ya, bad and all as ye were we completely stopped playing at 3-0 and let ye back in.

Ya, bad and all as ye were we completely stopped playing at 3-0 and let ye back in.
    tbh after 8games and 799minutes without a goal, I wouldnt care if ye stepped aside and let us walk it in! Really needed that monkey of the back as the lack of confidence was going right through the team. Some hope now at least of stopping the free fall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Cmon Derry!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Long shot but anybody able,to pm me a stream?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

justshane wrote: »
    Long shot but anybody able,to pm me a stream?

Rte player? Or are you outside Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Yes in NZ, but thanks anyways!

Looking at the remaining two games in division 1, it could get very interesting if both ourselves and Cobh win next weekend and Limerick beat Drogheda. That would leave 2 points between 2nd and 4th with Drogheda at home to UCD and Cobh with what looks like a gimme of a final game against Athlone.

Dundalk looking tired, matches catching up on them now.

Since 20th Sept, Shams, Derry, Maccabi, Derry(cup)

Matches still to play before 28th October; Derry(replay), Sligo, Cork,Shams, Zenit,Longford,Pats, Bohs, Zenit and Galway. That's a match every 2.5 days. Not allowing much time for prep for the Zenith matches and a bit of travelling ( to St Petersburg)

joeysoap wrote: »
    Dundalk looking tired, matches catching up on them now.

Since 20th Sept, Shams, Derry, Maccabi, Derry(cup)

Matches still to play before 28th October; Derry(replay), Sligo, Cork,Shams, Zenit,Longford,Pats, Bohs, Zenit and Galway. That's a match every 2.5 days. Not allowing much time for prep for the Zenith matches and a bit of travelling ( to St Petersburg)

They made 8 changes today!
    Tiredness can't be an excuse.
    They were in a similar situation when they played Derry last week in that they'd played a big European game a few days previously and they were full of life.
    Derry just played well and Dundalk let a 2 goal lead slip.
    Shiels has done an excellent job there and there's no doubt he'll be very successful there.

• Advertisement

They made 8 changes today!
    Tiredness can't be an excuse.

Shiels has done an excellent job there and there's no doubt he'll be very successful there.

Maybe so but there is no doubt that Horgan was knackered when he came off. With Shiels junior injured McEleney played 70 mins and looked tired well before the end. Shields had a good match but he too looked tired.

I would prefer Dundalk to go for the league, but you can't argue with the money involved in Europe. One more draw gets more then winning the league, one win gets more than the league and cup combined - for two years. It's a long outside chance and probably won't happen, but if Dundalk qualified..........

Derry fully deserved their draw, no doubt about that, and next year I expect them to be right up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Derry are a very good team so no real surprise. I expect them to challenge Dundalk next season some very good young players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

A draw was a terrible result for Dundalk. The last thing they need is another game in their hectic schedule. As topmanamillion said, Shiels has Derry playing very well, regardless of who wins the replay it will be a cracking final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

At 2-0 Dundalk were in control though, they weren't at their best but Derry weren't doing a whole lot at all. Once the first went in Dundalk wilted a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I feel hollow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

dan1895 wrote: »

Cant see it ending well for Shels to be honest but they had next to no other option in reality. As was said on here, Dublin is moving towards two big clubs with the likes of Shels and Pats becoming spare change.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

CHealy wrote: »
    Cant see it ending well for Shels to be honest but they had next to no other option in reality. As was said on here, Dublin is moving towards two big clubs with the likes of Shels and Pats becoming spare change.

What about UCD and Cabinteely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

What about UCD and Cabinteely?

Did I not just say Dublin is moving towards two big clubs? Who did you think I meant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

CHealy wrote: »

Disagree about St Pats. Never relegated, cup semi finalists only this weekend, won the league 3 years ago, the FAI Cup two years ago and the League Cup only last month. More succesful than Bohs lately, and I say that as a Bohs man. They'll be grand.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement