Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Omackeral wrote: »
    Disagree about St Pats. Never relegated, cup semi finalists only this weekend, won the league 3 years ago, the FAI Cup two years ago and the League Cup only last month. More succesful than Bohs lately, and I say that as a Bohs man. They'll be grand.

Thats all grand and well but where do they go from here? I know as a Cork City fan its a bit rich of me to be talking about clubs with a much longer history such as Pats, but lets say as a fan of the LOI, I just cant see how they progress. Take Sunday, a massive cup semi final on a Sunday afternoon, sun shining, two good teams, and the attendance was only 1800, 700 of that being Cork City fans. How is that even possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

CHealy wrote: »
    Thats all grand and well but where do they go from here? I know as a Cork City fan its a bit rich of me to be talking about clubs with a much longer history such as Pats, but lets say as a fan of the LOI, I just cant see how they progress. Take Sunday, a massive cup semi final on a Sunday afternoon, sun shining, two good teams, and the attendance was only 1800, 700 of that being Cork City fans. How is that even possible?

They were hung over from the Dublin All-Ireland win :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

County councils now own both Tallaght and Dalymount. The three clubs are very lucky in this regard, as no LOI club has the money to upgrade facilities to required standard. Good luck to both Shels and Bohs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Disagree about St Pats. Never relegated, cup semi finalists only this weekend, won the league 3 years ago, the FAI Cup two years ago and the League Cup only last month. More succesful than Bohs lately, and I say that as a Bohs man. They'll be grand.

They won't be grand. If they couldn't get bums on seats during their privately funded period of success, they will struggle when their sugar daddy disappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

The below is taken from an article in the 42

"The construction of seating behind both goals, and a second stand on the Connaught Street side, will only commence following the redevelopment of the neighbouring Phibsborough Shopping Centre."

So basically this is going to be a one stand job and we'll probably all be long dead before any other work is done. I knew a 10,000 all seater would never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Is the replay on tv tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

dan1895 wrote: »
    The below is taken from an article in the 42

"The construction of seating behind both goals, and a second stand on the Connaught Street side, will only commence following the redevelopment of the neighbouring Phibsborough Shopping Centre."

So basically this is going to be a one stand job and we'll probably all be long dead before any other work is done. I knew a 10,000 all seater would never happen.

I believe the issue is Bohs sold off the far stand to the shopping centre a few years back so that stand is part of the shopping centre development.
    There's also the issue of disruption to the local area if 2 major projects like a stadium and shopping centre redevelopment were to run concurrently.
    It'll be similar to Tallaght Stadium. The two main stands will go up relatively quickly, then there'll be a wait to have either end filled in.
    When the stadium is rotated the goals will be where the main stands are now, and one of those will be infront of the shopping centre.

It's in the council's interest to bring capacity up to around the 6k mark as they'll be hoping to make money on concerts and other sports teams renting it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Pat's crowds don't seem to what they used to be and a couple of their fans have said to me that the area has changed quite a bit and a lot of their support now live a good distance away and have to an extent lost touch with the club.

Areas where they would have picked support like Clondalkin are now quite close to shiny Tallaght Stadium, so any potential LoI newbies have somewhere else to think about going, an option that wasn't there not too long ago.

Pat's are if I'm not mistaken, a few million in debt to their owner, and Richmond could do with some modernisation, or they could do with somewhere new, either close by (not sure what land is available) or a new area (which would be hard for Pat's fans to take).

Pat's may have won more things lately than Bohs, but if things stay as they are at Pat's, Bohs in a redeveloped Dalymount would have far greater potential.

All purely my opinion as a fan of another club on the outside looking in.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Anyone know if Derry v Dundalk is on the box tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Roddy gone from Waterford. It was a shlt or bust move to appoint him and it looks like the latter has come to fruition. I would be very much on my own as a Youths supporter, but I think the league needs a strong Blaa team and I hope they regain some credability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

bobmalooka wrote: »
    Anyone know if Derry v Dundalk is on the box tonight?

Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Roddy gone from Waterford. It was a shlt or bust move to appoint him and it looks like the latter has come to fruition. I would be very much on my own as a Youths supporter, but I think the league needs a strong Blaa team and I hope they regain some credability
    Watch out Galway! (Although he's never been relegated)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Roddy always jumps ship when it suits him. No doubt everyone else will be blamed but himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Roddy always jumps ship when it suits him. No doubt everyone else will be blamed but himself.

All would have been well if John Delaney would have accepted his offer to go boxing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Where are Shels fans actually from? Do they get much support from the Drumcondra area? Or are most still from Ringsend? Would a move to a new area in North County Dublin have been better?

I honestly think this move is way better for Bohs than it is for Shels. If both are competing for new fans will the team in who finishes mid table in the first division attract more than a team chasing Europe in the Premier? Hella no

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

BOHtox wrote: »
    Where are Shels fans actually from? Do they get much support from the Drumcondra area? Or are most still from Ringsend? Would a move to a new area in North County Dublin have been better?

I honestly think this move is way better for Bohs than it is for Shels. If both are competing for new fans will the team in who finishes mid table in the first division attract more than a team chasing Europe in the Premier? Hella no

Not even anything to do with league positions to be honest. We're moving into your heartland. It's an insane decision. The fact the club went ahead with it with a massive majority against it says it all. This deal has been signed weeks too and we all knew about it, yet the club left us in the dark.

Could shelbourne park greyhound stadium be used as a football ground? I would love it if Shels and Bohs both thrived at Dalyer, but from what I'm reading on here that's a big ask. I suppose it's like asking Dundalk and Drogheda to ground share, in the end only one would survive- and that would be whoever's ground was used, the other would sooner or later fold from lack of support.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

joeysoap wrote: »
    Could shelbourne park greyhound stadium be used as a football ground? I would love it if Shels and Bohs both thrived at Dalyer, but from what I'm reading on here that's a big ask. I suppose it's like asking Dundalk and Drogheda to ground share, in the end only one would survive- and that would be whoever's ground was used, the other would sooner or later fold from lack of support.

Dundalk and Drogheda is a bit different, if you're from Dundalk, you're Dundalk, if from Drogheda, you're Drogheda.

Bohs and Shels are competeing for the same area, rather than two distinct ones.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Dundalk and Drogheda is a bit different, if you're from Dundalk, you're Dundalk, if from Drogheda, you're Drogheda.

Bohs and Shels are competeing for the same area, rather than two distinct ones.

I think the same, there's a clear divide there in Louth. If I lived in Drumcondra, I wouldn't mind going to watch both teams. I think it will be hard to sell first division football over premier league football.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

I believe the issue is Bohs sold off the far stand to the shopping centre a few years back so that stand is part of the shopping centre development.
    There's also the issue of disruption to the local area if 2 major projects like a stadium and shopping centre redevelopment were to run concurrently.
    It'll be similar to Tallaght Stadium. The two main stands will go up relatively quickly, then there'll be a wait to have either end filled in.
    When the stadium is rotated the goals will be where the main stands are now, and one of those will be infront of the shopping centre.

It's in the council's interest to bring capacity up to around the 6k mark as they'll be hoping to make money on concerts and other sports teams renting it out.

I think there is an esb or telecoms line under or near the quinnsworth end terrace too which adds to the difficulties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

red sean wrote: »
    Watch out Galway! (Although he's never been relegated)

Id like to think weve been burned enough times by chancers e.g. Cousins, Connor and Leeson to fall for it again.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I think there is an esb or telecoms line under or near the quinnsworth end terrace too which adds to the difficulties

Quinnsworth, jaysis

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Quinnsworth, jaysis

Gotta get those K.V.I branded goodies!

Id like to think weve been burned enough times by chancers e.g. Cousins, Connor and Leeson to fall for it again.

Supposed to be getting a player manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Supposed to be getting a player manager.

Thats the trick .... you might end up with Roddy so ... Snr in the dugout and Jnr on the pitch! Roddy Collins Player Manger :D

Apparently this the FAI's proposed October schedule for Dundalk:

8th – Sligo (H)
    11th – Cork (H)
    14th – Rovers (A)
    17th – Longford (A)
    20th – Zenit (H)
    23rd – Bohs (H)
    25th – Pats (A)
    28th – Galway (H)

Crazy stuff.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If Dundalk manage a second double with that schedule it will be truly incredible

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

8th – Sligo (H)
    11th – Cork (H)
    14th – Rovers (A)
    17th – Longford (A)
    20th – Zenit (H)
    23rd – Bohs (H)
    25th – Pats (A)
    28th – Galway (H)

Crazy stuff.

I honestly don't think Bayern or Juventus could play them fixtures and get maximum points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

8th – Sligo (H)
    11th – Cork (H)
    14th – Rovers (A)
    17th – Longford (A)
    20th – Zenit (H)
    23rd – Bohs (H)
    25th – Pats (A)
    28th – Galway (H)

Crazy stuff.

Thats pretty tough looking, but what do you propose instead?

gimmick wrote: »

I would like the season extended. It is not as if this would give Dundalk a competitive advantage over Cork as their schedule is almost as bad.

A compensation package would have to be offered to any clubs out of pocket and this should be taken out of Dundalk's European earnings. In the context of €7m, it would be very small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

gimmick wrote: »

Unfortunate for Dundalk I don't think anything can be changed. Seriously though if Cork don't win a trophy this year I'd say they will have the most pissed off fans ever, never a better chance to win the league and should really win the cup with Dundalk playing in Russia the Thursday before.

justshane wrote: »
    Unfortunate for Dundalk I don't think anything can be changed. Seriously though if Cork don't win a trophy this year I'd say they will have the most pissed off fans ever, never a better chance to win the league and should really win the cup with Dundalk playing in Russia the Thursday before.

This congestion gives Dundalk a competitive advantage in the league as they have better back up.

For example, Dundalk can easily rest McMillan in the league, can Cork rest Maguire.

Same for the Dundalk back four compared to the Cork back four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

In typical LOI fashion, it takes farce to happen before anything can be changed.

Season will be extended next season. 36 week season with a 3 week break is daft.

But CCFC and DFC must take some of the burden of responsibilty as well given they requested all the postponements (which by playing the games within the timeframe of the season, I guess they are).

If Dundalk win the league and cup double this year, I will finally admit they are the greatest LOI club side. That schedule is nuts, I struggle with 2 games a week at a high enough junior football level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

For me, there is no argument. This is the best LoI side I have ever watched play football.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

justshane wrote: »
    I honestly don't think Bayern or Juventus could play them fixtures and get maximum points.

The next week decides the Title IMO, Galway V Cork, Dundalk V Sligo followed by Dundalk V Cork then Rovers V Dundalk, Cork V Finn Harps

All in the space of 7 days.

if we win our 2 at home, il have a pint to celebrate

8th – Sligo (H)
    11th – Cork (H)
    14th – Rovers (A)
    17th – Longford (A)
    20th – Zenit (H)
    23rd – Bohs (H)
    25th – Pats (A)
    28th – Galway (H)

Crazy stuff.

And it doesn't end there. Away to Zenit on 3rd and cup final on 6th. Magdalene laundries might give it run for the money but would probably concede.

Have to confess I am surprised the LOI squeezes the Longford match in before the crucial Zenit home match. Maybe FAI hoping the problem child will just go away.

If Dundalk win the league and cup double this year, I will finally admit they are the greatest LOI club side. That schedule is nuts, I struggle with 2 games a week at a high enough junior football level.

Allowing Dundalk don't complete the double or even single, out curiosity which League of Ireland teams do you consider were/are better than this team?

* if Dundalk were to lose every match between now and Christmas

1) they will still be league runners up
    2) they will still be cup runners up
    3 they will still have achieved more than any other LOI club has ever achieved in Europe. 4 points in the Europa League group stages has earned a lot of respect for the league abroad.

Out of curiosity which League of Ireland teams do you consider were/are better than this team?

Shelbourne early/mid 2000's were superstars, should that team somehow be beamed into the present I think they'd win as much if not more as Dundalk, but the league was a much much higher quality back then so it was more competitive.

• Advertisement

Shelbourne early/mid 2000's were superstars, should that team somehow be beamed into the present I think they'd win as much if not more as Dundalk, but the league was a much much higher quality back then so it was more competitive.

I saw all of Shels home European games in 2004 and 2005. They didn't come close to the level of performances achieved by Dundalk in Europe this season.

While the quality of the LOI in different periods is quite variable, there is a lot more consistency in the level of European football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

The Bohs 08 team that won a very strong league by 19 points has to be up there too. They won the domestic double that year and were beaten in the last minute by a very strong Red Bull Salzburg side.

BOHtox wrote: »
    The Bohs 08 team that won a very strong league by 19 points has to be up there too. They won the domestic double that year and were beaten in the last minute by a very strong Red Bull Salzburg side.

That was some side. I would have loved to see what they could have gone on to achieve. Financial problems resulted in that team breaking up before it's time.

I saw all of Shels home European games in 2004 and 2005. They didn't come close to the level of performances achieved by Dundalk in Europe this season.

While the quality of the LOI in different periods is quite variable, there is a lot more consistency in the level of European football.

Just my opinion bud, not being petty either, just think the early and mid 2000's were a great time for LOI football and that Shels team broke new ground, if theres any difference between that Shels team and the current Dundalk team, its minimal.

The 2005 Cork City team should be one of the greatest with the players we had but in true Cork fashion we managed to fcuk all that up.

The 2005 Cork City team should be one of the greatest with the players we had but in true Cork fashion we managed to fcuk all that up.

So many LOI teams never got to realise their potential. The 2005 side could have gone on to be the best. No question there.

When you look at it on paper, it is frightening how good it was.

• Advertisement

So many LOI teams never got to realise their potential. The 2005 side could have gone on to be the best. No question there.

When you look at it on paper, it is frightening how good it was.

It was something else. Horgan, Danny Murphy, Dan Murray, Joe Gamble, Liam Kearney, Georgie, Roy O'Donovan, Billy Woods, Neale Fenn, John O'Flynn................you're upsetting me now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It was something else. Horgan, Danny Murphy, Dan Murray, Joe Gamble, Liam Kearney, Georgie, Roy O'Donovan, Billy Woods, Neale Fenn, John O'Flynn................you're upsetting me now.

That really was a great team with some fantastic footballers, I enjoyed watching them a lot, especially O'Flynn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Kenny to Villa? Surely not

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

AgileMyth wrote: »

Think that would be a bad move for him. Another year with Dundalk at least. Plenty of time for him to go to a club as poorly run as villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

AgileMyth wrote: »

That's coming from an April 1st article on Facebook

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement