Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Hate the idea of a split league

Being caught on the wrong side would be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Couldn't split until 22 matches played. Two groups of six, and for fairness you would want to see matches against the other 5 home and away. 10 more matches, a gain of one match less. Of course the LOI could decide you only play each team once, some teams gets 3 home matches and some get two , hardly fair and very important especially for teams fighting relegation.

Might liven things up a bit though, certainly the Europe places would remain open until near the end. ( And Bray would have walked away with the mini league :))

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

There's a split already, it's called the first division.

They should be joined together and create a one division League of Ireland, maybe with relegation to the likes of the LSL etc.

That would cause problems in the euro competitions , afaik you need 2 divisions, with promotion and relegation to qualify for he CL qualifying rounds.

Maybe 2 x 10 with a straight 2 up 2 down each year?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

joeysoap wrote: »
    That would cause problems in the euro competitions , afaik you need 2 divisions, with promotion and relegation to qualify for he CL qualifying rounds.

Maybe 2 x 10 with a straight 2 up 2 down each year?

We had a similar format 4 or 5 years ago. People moaned because they were fed up of playing teams 5 or 6 times with 4 league fixtures and cups.

Changing the league format is deckchairs on the titanic, there's bigger issues to worry about.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Reducing games reduces gate reciepts, and some games are more important that others, so a split league could have a huge effect on income.

Bohs/Rovers is a huge game for both clubs in terms of revenue, it would be a disaster to lose one of those games..
    Attendances cant get any worse.
    Fact is the current format isn't attractive to fans or TV companies.
    There's a split already, it's called the first division.

They should be joined together and create a one division League of Ireland, maybe with relegation to the likes of the LSL etc.

This would be a disaster.
    Look at the amount of clubs with nothing to play for right now in a 12 team league, you'd just end up increasing the amount of dead rubbers.
    There wouldn't be any relegation as the LSL clubs either wouldn't be interested in it or wouldn't be able for it.
    So you`d have top 3/4 depending on who wins the cup in Europe along with 12+ teams with nothing to play for, from an early stage if this season is anything to go by.

The notion that the likes of Waterford, Athlone and Cabinteely are suddenly going to up their game in a 16/18/20 team league is nonsense.
    Look at Longford and Wexford, both are struggling to get 200 home fans into games. All expanding the league would do is increase that.
    There`s a limited playing pool in the league, highlighted by the fact Cork and Dundalk are well out in front of the rest.

The issue is the FD has been run abysmally.
    These clubs shouldn't have to pay affiliation fees of any sort.
    The feasibility of regionalising the FD should be looked at.
    We should have a proper pyramid system placing the FD at the head of the Junior/Intermediate game with 4 or 5 proper intermediate divisions feeding into it(not the glorified County leagues we have now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Chris Forrester scored an absolute beauty for Peterborough today. It's not even the finish that's good, it's the touch to set it all up.

https://twitter.com/kevymac77/status/784721708435595264

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

I'd love to see Forrester get a chance to play against better opposition.

League one is OK, but he is not going to realise his potential playing at that level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I'd love to see Forrester get a chance to play against better opposition.

League one is OK, but he is not going to realise his potential playing at that level.
    Perhaps a move to Dundalk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ht city 3-0 up and Dundalk 2-0 down
    Could be a great night yet !!!!!

• Advertisement

1 point in it as things stand, one goal also, massive 45 minutes in the title race. Don't know if we'll hang on for a whole half in Dundalk.

At the other end, Longford 1-0 up. Would be amazing if the managed to stay up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

AgileMyth wrote: »
    1 point in it as things stand, one goal also, massive 45 minutes in the title race. Don't know if we'll hang on for a whole half in Dundalk.

Well ye went down to 10 but still managed to go 3 up !!!!

City up to 4-0 now

What a night !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Great night. Couldn't score in a brothel recently (no goals since August) and now 3-0 up away to the best side in the country.

Should Raf Cretaro get a call up to the Ireland squad?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

:D :pac:

I love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

He opted for Italy instead :D

I don't know how Rogers is in the Irish panel. Gave Rovers a goal few weeks ago and now tonight...... If Colmans's goal against Georgia was odd wait till you see Sligo's first goal tonight. Having said that Dundalk had 4 relatively good chances in the first half but didn't even test the keeper. Sligo well in control up in the second half. If we play like this next Tuesday Cork will win easily, and the league will ( deservedly) go to Cork. Maybe the matches are catching up on them now , 4 in the past 10 days and Maccabi was the big one, which had to take a lot out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

joeysoap wrote: »
    I don't know how Rogers is in the Irish panel. Gave Rovers a goal few weeks ago and now tonight...... If Colmans's goal against Georgia was odd wait till you see Sligo's first goal tonight. Having said that Dundalk had 4 relatively good chances in the first half but didn't even test the keeper. Sligo well in control up in the second half. If we play like this next Tuesday Cork will win easily, and the league will ( deservedly) go to Cork. Maybe the matches are catching up on them now , 4 in the past 10 days and Maccabi was the big one, which had to take a lot out.

Rogers was called up merely out of convenience. You didn't actually think he was ever going to play did you? :D

Don't worry though. Firstly, you won't play that badly against ourselves, and secondly, once there's an ounce of pressure on us we usually end up bottling it. I can very easily see a Dundalk win on Tuesday.

Obviously, I hope I'm wrong and will be cheering on our lads regardless. :)

Momentum.

City have it.

Dundalk don't.

At this of the season, it counts for so much.

That said, I am not confident of a win on Tuesday, but we are capable of winning. Draw wouldn't be too bad, but I think city should go for the win, we are banging in goals for fun and we have the in form striker in the league.

• Advertisement

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Momentum.

City have it.

Dundalk don't.

At this of the season, it counts for so much.

That said, I am not confident of a win on Tuesday, but we are capable of winning. Draw wouldn't be too bad, but I think city should go for the win, we are banging in goals for fun and we have the in form striker in the league.

As long as City don't look suddenly look at the opposition and start reverting to the kind of tripe that was being played earlier in the season. We've played some super stuff of late with positive attacking football and that needs to continue on Tuesday. If we sit back and allow Dundalk to come at us then it won't end well for us.

That said though, we can't go gung ho either for obvious reason!

Wilberto wrote: »
    As long as City don't look suddenly look at the opposition and start reverting to the kind of tripe that was being played earlier in the season. We've played some super stuff of late with positive attacking football and that needs to continue on Tuesday. If we sit back and allow Dundalk to come at us then it won't end well for us.

That said though, we can't go gung ho either for obvious reason!

I think looking at the opposition won't make us fúck up, having had very good results against them this year already.

That said the league could go either way now, considering it was all over 6 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Another 2 goals from Maguire tonight. No doubt he'll be gone when the season is finished. I really hope JC is looking into a replacement. Game on Tuesday should be a cracker though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Cork need to go for the kill on Tuesday, hopefully Caulfields negativity doesnt take over and ye play for the draw. Maguire was excellent tonight but we helped in every way possible. Our season cant end soon enough.

Another 2 goals from Maguire tonight. No doubt he'll be gone when the season is finished. I really hope JC is looking into a replacement. Game on Tuesday should be a cracker though.

Where would he go? Dundalk or England would be the only improvement if any, and if Cork win the league he'll have a chance of Champions League football.

Where would he go? Dundalk or England would be the only improvement if any, and if Cork win the league he'll have a chance of Champions League football.

From what I've heard he's looking to go to England. I'd hope he'd reconsider if we win the league but I wouldnt hold my breath.

England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Patww79 wrote: »
    This was always expected with the fixture list anyway wasn't it?

I know titles don't come along often, but if Cork were to win it from here it'd have to be slightly regarded as a 'by default' win.

2 best words in the English language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I know titles don't come along often, but if Cork were to win it from here it'd have to be slightly regarded as a 'by default' win.

Nonsense. If Cork win the league, they'll win it because they deserve to win it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

From what I've heard he's looking to go to England. I'd hope he'd reconsider if we win the league but I wouldnt hold my breath.

Funny you heard that when him and the miss's have been looking into houses in Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Haven't Cork basically the same amount of fixtures to play in October?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Haven't Cork basically the same amount of fixtures to play in October?

Think Dundalk had one extra game over Cork originally but the cup reply pushed that to two extra games in the month of October I think.

City and Dundalk have played the same amount of games in Europe thus far. Dundalk have played one more game than us in the cup. So talk of Dundalk being fatigued etc is really over egging it.

Tuesday night is huge. Dundalk win it they should be home and dry. We win it and go 2 clear it's all to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

gimmick wrote: »
    City and Dundalk have played the same amount of games in Europe thus far.
    How do you work that one out? Maybe I'm picking you up wrong but Dundalk have clearly played more European games than Cork this year?

Pighead wrote: »
    How do you work that one out? Maybe I'm picking you up wrong but Dundalk have clearly played more European games than Cork this year?

Cork played 6 in Europe, Dundalk have played 8 so far and one more to play before the league ends and another one (in Russia) just before the cup final. If Cork win the league they will deserve it. Cup is slightly different , can go either way on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

People really need to dial down the hyperbole about Dundalk's schedule a bit. The funny thing is, the Dundalk fans aren't really using it as an excuse, they're getting on with it. It's fans of other clubs that seem to overplay it the most!

By the time the FAI Cup finishes, Dundalk will have played 51 competitive games. City will have played 47. Not exactly a massive difference between the two sides. There was probably a bigger gap in 2014 cause Dundalk had runs in Europe and both cups, whereas City didn't have Europe and went out early in the cups. Yet no one brought up the schedule as an issue then. O'Connor and Maguire will have played about the same number of games as Dundalk, as they both have four international caps this season as well (I think both of them have played in every match for City so far this season - not sure on Maguire, but I'm fairly sure O'Connor has). They both played two nights in a row this weekend, O'Connor clocking up 180 minutes in just over 24 hours. That's not exactly easy going.

Long way to go yet, anyway, it's certainly not City's title now. It was a bad night for Dundalk, especially with the massive swing in goal difference, but they're still top. It's very much in their hands and they're favourites. A win for them on Tuesday and they'll probably have enough of a cushion to see it out.

Sorry. Ye played 2 more. Point remains. It's not a massive difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

gimmick wrote: »
    Sorry. Ye played 2 more. Point remains. It's not a massive difference
    You won't hear me using it as an excuse. I was just clarifying the amount of Euro games played. Bottom line is we will not lose on Tuesday. Time and time again Cork have shown that when it comes to the crunch games they tend to crumble like clay. My fellow Dundalk fans won't thank me for my bold prediction and brashness regarding this fixture but I simply cannot see us losing. Take it away Hank.

Hard to see Dundalk losing 2 home games on the spin but City have beaten you in our last 3 encounters and you have not beaten us in over a year. Mentally City look strong but I wouldn't put a penny on us winning Tuesday. It will be a very tight game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

If the game Tuesday was on grass Id say wed take dundalk but their plastic pitch makes it more difficult,johnny should ring up sligo and see what boots they were wearing on that excuse of a pitch.

• Advertisement

You won't hear me using it as an excuse. I was just clarifying the amount of Euro games played. Bottom line is we will not lose on Tuesday. Time and time again Cork have shown that when it comes to the crunch games they tend to crumble like clay. My fellow Dundalk fans won't thank me for my bold prediction and brashness regarding this fixture but I simply cannot see us losing. Take it away Hank.

I presume you were that confident/brash before last night aswell.

Take it away agin Hank. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Excuses like 'by default'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Corholio wrote: »
    Excuses like 'by default'?

Winning the league 'by default' is an incredible angle alright. I'd love to know how many of those there's been to date? What's the criteria as a matter of interest?

Winning the league 'by default' is an incredible angle alright. I'd love to know how many of those there's been to date? What's the criteria as a matter of interest?

2010 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Is the match on Tuesday on RTE or is it on eirsport? Huge game for both sides. The momentum is definitely with Cork now, but it is far from over regardless of who wins on Tuesday night. This has been one of the more memorable LoI seasons in recent memory.

Rte.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Rte.

Great :rolleyes:. RTE player will be blocked for me then. Hopefully shouldnt be too hard to find a stream somewhere.

If the game Tuesday was on grass Id say wed take dundalk but their plastic pitch makes it more difficult,johnny should ring up sligo and see what boots they were wearing on that excuse of a pitch.

I'm going to go the other way, if it was on grass I would fancy Dundalk. No coincidence that they win most of their away matches on grass. They absolutely loved Tallaght against Bate and Maccabi. The Oriel pitch wasn't that bad last year and before that but it's absolutely dire now. Probably cost them both Rovers matches and that's not an excuse , but Rogers would have controlled both back passes on a grass pitch. Us Dundalk fans have had a brilliant 4 seasons under king Kenny, and we know it. We were almost out of football completely 4 years ago, small crowds, and bills piling up, and an owner anxious to get out. These have been great times under SK, and we know that Cork could have won the league at any other time. I hope we win on Tuesday, I hope we win the league but if we win neither, we also know Cork will be worthy champs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement