Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

joeysoap wrote: »
    I'm going to go the other way, if it was on grass I would fancy Dundalk. No coincidence that they win most of their away matches on grass. They absolutely loved Tallaght against Bate and Maccabi. The Oriel pitch wasn't that bad last year and before that but it's absolutely dire now. Probably cost them both Rovers matches and that's not an excuse , but Rogers would have controlled both back passes on a grass pitch. Us Dundalk fans have had a brilliant 4 seasons under king Kenny, and we know it. We were almost out of football completely 4 years ago, small crowds, and bills piling up, and an owner anxious to get out. These have been great times under SK, and we know that Cork could have won the league at any other time. I hope we win on Tuesday, I hope we win the league but if we win neither, we also know Cork will be worthy champs.

Id agree with this, the pitch at Oriel actually seems to be more of a hindrance to Dundalk over anyone else this season, Dundalks football style has evolved beyond the capabilities of that pitch. (Hopefully it stays put for another few years :p)

Im patiently awaiting the arrival of my boss here in work to get a half day to head up to the game tomorrow night, should be a good City crowd up but the 7 o'clock KO certainly didnt help. Game could go either way to be honest, should Dundalk have beaten Sligo on Saturday night I would say this is a must win for City, but seeing as theres only a point in it and we have the easier run in, Id take a draw. Nervous isnt the word, if City dont win it this year we'll never win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Rained in Dundalk all afternoon , might dampen that fcuk of a pitch up a bit and make it more playable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Just a curious question for League of Ireland fans. Many of you boardies fans of clubs that aren't from your area? For example is anyone from Galway and support Shamrock Rovers or anyone from Dubln and support Sligo? Eddie Howe mentioned Watford were his local club but he supported Everton so it got me thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I'm a southside Bohs fan. My granda played for them back in the day, he brought my da, my da is now bringing me. Always a bit of a regret of mine that the three of us were never at the one match. 3 generations of fans at the one game would have been nice.

So pats would be your local club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

justshane wrote: »
    Just a curious question for League of Ireland fans. Many of you boardies fans of clubs that aren't from your area? For example is anyone from Galway and support Shamrock Rovers or anyone from Dubln and support Sligo? Eddie Howe mentioned Watford were his local club but he supported Everton so it got me thinking.

Live in Cork now but worked in Galway for 5 years and started going to their games so i'd support Galway United. Always try and get a game in when i'm back

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

From Kilkenny and support Shamrock Rovers. Used to follow Kilkenny City. When I got my drivers licence I was working in Carlow and Rovers were doing well.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

From Kilkenny and support Shamrock Rovers. Used to follow Kilkenny City. When I got my drivers licence I was working in Carlow and Rovers were doing well.

You've had some bad luck, so sorry for your troubles.

Cork City get quiet a few fans from Kerry and in particular south Tipperary given its only half an hour down the motorway. Massive following in West Cork aswell which might aswell be a different county at this stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

CHealy wrote: »
    You've had some bad luck, so sorry for your troubles.

Cork City get quiet a few fans from Kerry and in particular south Tipperary given its only half an hour down the motorway. Massive following in West Cork aswell which might aswell be a different county at this stage.

Yeah and to make things worse my girlfriend lives in Cork :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Yeah and to make things worse my girlfriend lives in Cork :p

At least you are safe in the knowledge that she is safe in paradise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It's desperately disappointing that yet again, a star of the LOI is going to swan off to the UK without a cent of compensation for the current club. It's a disaster that we haven't the financial means to tie these guys up to 3 year deals.

wadacrack wrote: »

I'd say the clubs will need to form an orderly queue as he's a free agent. I also think the papers will link him with anyone on a slow news day so it'd be hard to tell what's real and what's BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

SantryRed wrote: »
    It's desperately disappointing that yet again, a star of the LOI is going to swan off to the UK without a cent of compensation for the current club. It's a disaster that we haven't the financial means to tie these guys up to 3 year deals.

I think Dundalk have benefited hugely from Daryl Horgan. They may not get a penny in transfer fees if he moves but the €7m in UEFA money would not be coming their way without him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

From Kilkenny support St Pats since 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

So pats would be your local club?

Even worse :eek:

More of a spread of fans that support teams from other areas than I thought. Good to see. I support Dundalk but from the west, have since they were in the first division an followed them everywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Just a curious question for League of Ireland fans. Many of you boardies fans of clubs that aren't from your area?

From Tipp (NR) and support Galway United since about 2008 including the missing years!

I'm regularly in Galway anyway. Went first out of curiousity and to kill time..and got roped in!

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

If Horgan leaves Dundalk. I can see Dylan Connolly joining Dundalk for next season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Support Shels as the nearest club to where I grew up.

If Shels fold I'll likely start to go to Bray games, another Dublin club is out of the question and my wife is from Bray, so I wouldn't mind terribly bringing my young lad to Bray games when he's old enough, even better if his grandfather and/or uncles and cousins would come with us.

MD1990 wrote: »
    If Horgan leaves Dundalk. I can see Dylan Connolly joining Dundalk for next season.

I think this is almost a given, especially after his brown nosing to them on Twitter the other night. Heard Fagan is out of Pats aswell, but with McMillian and and Kilduff the two main strikers at Dundalk I dont think he'd go there. Rovers most likely destination.

I think this is almost a given, especially after his brown nosing to them on Twitter the other night. Heard Fagan is out of Pats aswell, but with McMillian and and Kilduff the two main strikers at Dundalk I dont think he'd go there. Rovers most likely destination.

Is Fagan not Cork's main target? If he is not, he should be.

Wonder what will happen with the 1st Division? Shels,Athlone & Waterford could all fold. Some rumours of investment in Waterford though.

Afaik all Dundalk players are free agents at end of December. In that sense what Derry are doing makes sense , sign up players well before seasons end for the next season. When dundalk won the league in 2014 , Richie Towell, Daryl Horgan and Pat Hoban all went across channel hoping to find club that might be interested. Hoban signed but Towell and Horgan weren't interested in the offers they got ie 2nd division offers * and returned to Dundalk for another season. I'm just surprised that a bigger club doesn't take a chance and make an offer now for Horgsn. They are paying more to some players every week than Horgan might be worth.

*Cardiff manager at the time (Russel Slade) gave Towell a trial and declared he wasn't fit enough. Rumour was Blackpool might have made a derisory offer for Towell after he signed up for another year. Peterborough say Forrester is worth €3m.

Dundalk have a ready made left winger, so Connolly could be a good fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I didn't think Connolly played left wing? I haven't seen much of him admittedly but playing at the Cross I'm pretty sure he didn't play there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Afaik all Dundalk players are free agents at end of December. In that sense what Derry are doing makes sense , sign up players well before seasons end for the next season. When dundalk won the league in 2014 , Richie Towell, Daryl Horgan and Pat Hoban all went across channel hoping to find club that might be interested. Hoban signed but Towell and Horgan weren't interested in the offers they got ie 2nd division offers * and returned to Dundalk for another season. I'm just surprised that a bigger club doesn't take a chance and make an offer now for Horgsn. They are paying more to some players every week than Horgan might be worth.

*Cardiff manager at the time (Russel Slade) gave Towell a trial and declared he wasn't fit enough. Rumour was Blackpool might have made a derisory offer for Towell after he signed up for another year. Peterborough say Forrester is worth €3m.

Dundalk have a ready made left winger, so Connolly could be a good fit.

Rogers, Gartland, Finn, McEleney, Benson and O Donnell are all signed up for next season

Rogers, Gartland, Finn, McEleney, Benson and O Donnell are all signed up for next season

Shields too.

Is Fagan not Cork's main target? If he is not, he should be.

I wish, especially at the increasing chance of losing Maguire, but I dont think he'd move to Cork, cant see it happening.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    To me, Bray were always a Dublin club anyway which is why they had no draw for me in the beginning even though I'm from Wicklow. I honestly don't know which club I'd go to when Shels go under though. Probably someone easy to get to like Rovers but it would never be the same I'd say.

It really isn't the same. A club you've followed since childhood, knew nearly all the fans, your mates from school, the chants, the chairman knows your name, you've a nice collection of jerseys and you just fit in there. Then you follow a new club, you're unknown, you've a strange accent, you don't want to ask any questions, none of your mates want to go because an hour is a long drive to watch "sh1te football" and you just don't fit in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

I'm from Kerry and I support St. Pats.

Patww79 wrote: »
    I never had any of that as I wasn't from the area so it's definitely going to be worse for you! Hopefully something will 'click' that makes a person really give a **** about another club but I'd say it'll be a bit like the English stuff for me. It's nice and all and you follow a team but it's just very hard to feel any connection and really care.

I remember when I was kid, I was a huge West Ham fan (still am) but then I stopped being as emotionally involved, it's not the same. I don't get much time now to go to games but that's the bit I love, going to games. English football is full of ****ty opinions by every arsehole with one. I enjoy coming on here and reading posts by people who care enough to actually go and attend matches, pick up stories and views by people at games. Someone at a match will pick up things you can't see on the telly.

Corholio wrote: »
    I didn't think Connolly played left wing? I haven't seen much of him admittedly but playing at the Cross I'm pretty sure he didn't play there.

That's what I am saying, Dundalk have a brilliant young left winger (Carlton Ubaezuano) who obviously doesn't get much playtime but he's a natural left winger, Connolly would be a perfect fit.

My twopence worth, two of those won't be playing with Dundalk next season.

Well apart from moves to England or Scotland, Who is going to pay for any of them?

Rogers gone, and maybe O'Donnell to Galway as a player/manager?

Absolutely no chance is Stephen O'Donnell will be leaving Dundalk to go to Galway. He is the best midfielder in the league and will not want to give up Europe to player/manager a poor side

• Advertisement

And this this from a City supporter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

A fit Fagan is far superior to either of those two. He's had a good season this year fitness wise.

Kilduff/McMillian leading the line with Fagan as 10 would be poetry in motion.
    It would mean a change of tactic for Dundalk but they'll have to shake things up when Horgan leaves anyway.

A fit Fagan is far superior to either of those two. He's had a good season this year fitness wise.

Kilduff/McMillian leading the line with Fagan as 10 would be poetry in motion.
    It would mean a change of tactic for Dundalk but they'll have to shake things up when Horgan leaves anyway.
    Fagan is an out an out striker. So I don't think playing him out of position would be poetry in motion.

Finn is 10, but as MD says Fagan is an out and out striker, would be terrific at Dundalk.

Finn is 10, but as MD says Fagan is an out and out striker, would be terrific at Dundalk.

Fagan would score a bucket load of goals at Dundalk. Cork too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

If fagan signed for Dundalk they would be incredibly strong, even with the inevitable loss of Darryl

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Fagan is an out an out striker. So I don't think playing him out of position would be poetry in motion.

Not at all.
    He's technically gifted and if you watch him playing for Pats he regularly drops deep and links play.
    His link play is top drawer.

Not at all.
    He's technically gifted and if you watch him playing for Pats he regularly drops deep and links play.
    His link play is top drawer.
    His link up play is very good but no he does not regularly drop deep most often he plays on the last line of the defence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fagan can drop deep and link play but he is infinitely better as an out and out striker, no doubt. I would love to see him at city, he'd be a perfect fit for us.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Fagan can drop deep and link play but he is infinitely better as an out and out striker, no doubt. I would love to see him at city, he'd be a perfect fit for us.

He'd be a perfect fit for anyone.

The point I was making was he'd be be a perfect partner for McMillian or Kilduff.
    Classic little and large partnership.

And this this from a City supporter :)

What about it? He said he feels two of the players listed wouldnt be with Dundalk next year, I gave a quick shot in the dark as to who I think it might be, total guess. What has me being a City supporter anything got to do with it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement