Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

CHealy wrote: »
    What about it? He said he feels two of the players listed wouldnt be with Dundalk next year, I gave a quick shot in the dark as to who I think it might be, total guess. What has me being a City supporter anything got to do with it?

I think you missed interpreted my post. Another poster, clearly a Dundalk supporter didn't agree with your post, I do however agree and posted that this was from a City supporter (smilie added), in other words a clever prediction about Dundalk from a Cork supporter. We might both be wrong of course. What I do know is if anybody is going SK already knows who the replacements are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

joeysoap wrote: »
    I think you missed interpreted my post. Another poster, clearly a Dundalk supporter didn't agree with your post, I do however agree and posted that this was from a City supporter (smilie added), in other words a clever prediction about Dundalk from a Cork supporter. We might both be wrong of course. What I do know is if anybody is going SK already knows who the replacements are.

Ah my apologies, I went into full attack mode against a Dundalk supporter there. Pity the team I support cant do the same when it comes to things Dundalk.

No worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The Daryl Horgan thread got me thinking a little bit about players from the league who have gone over to England with varying levels of success. From over the past 15 years or so I could think of about 50 (I'm sure I forgot a load) who have gone across to the UK, 15 of whom have then gone on to represent the national team, I'm not sure if some of them such as Jason Byrne, Joe Gamble & Alan Bennett won caps while playing in England or Ireland however, I think most of them were capped while in the league. It really just got me thinking whether these moves usually work out for the players in terms of their careers, 18 of the 53 came back to play in the league after leaving and 12 have gone on to play in the Premier League.

Overall it's a very mixed bag. A lot of them have had successful careers at League 1 or 2 level but would that be considered a success? I'm sure they make a good living but a lot of these players were star men in the League of Ireland. I think Daryl should go over and I do think he will be a success but he is far from guaranteed success. I know it's early days still, but Towell is the most confusing one for me, he was the most standout player in the league probably from all of my years following it, yet he hasn't got a look in for Brighton. I hope it works out for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

The Daryl Horgan thread got me thinking a little bit about players from the league who have gone over to England with varying levels of success. From over the past 15 years or so I could think of about 50 (I'm sure I forgot a load) who have gone across to the UK, 15 of whom have then gone on to represent the national team, I'm not sure if some of them such as Jason Byrne, Joe Gamble & Alan Bennett won caps while playing in England or Ireland however, I think most of them were capped while in the league. It really just got me thinking whether these moves usually work out for the players in terms of their careers, 18 of the 53 came back to play in the league after leaving and 12 have gone on to play in the Premier League.

Overall it's a very mixed bag. A lot of them have had successful careers at League 1 or 2 level but would that be considered a success? I'm sure they make a good living but a lot of these players were star men in the League of Ireland. I think Daryl should go over and I do think he will be a success but he is far from guaranteed success. I know it's early days still, but Towell is the most confusing one for me, he was the most standout player in the league probably from all of my years following it, yet he hasn't got a look in for Brighton. I hope it works out for him.

Towell went into a team pushing for promotion who signed a player for a few million in his position a ew days after he arrived.

He has been injured since July, so you can't really call him a failure (yet anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Towell went into a team pushing for promotion who signed a player for a few million in his position a ew days after he arrived.

He has been injured since July, so you can't really call him a failure (yet anyway)

Ah yeah I can understand why he hasn't broken into the team, but I just hope it wasn't the wrong move for him. I've never seen a player dominate the league as much as he has so it would be a shame if it didn't work out for him in England as he definitely has the ability.

Edit: In contrast to this, I cannot understand how Conor Sammon has had such a good career in England. He was brutal any time I saw him play for UCD, yet he has gone on to play in the Premier League and won 9 international caps! Just goes to show there is a good bit of luck involved too (and hard work, I'm sure).

Luck definitely has a lot to do with it, IMO Towell ( who by all accounts got a decent signing on fee and reported to be in £3,500 a week) signed for Brighton at a particularly bad moment. He would almost certainly be playing anywhere else now - Injurys excepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Dundalk wrapping up the league here. Playing some lovely football on a difficult surface.

Well deserved three in a row.

Good to see Keano back doing what he loves most tonight, beating the Shams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Raining goals in Ferrycarrig

On 60 mins it's Wexford 5-0 Galway.

75 mins it's Wexford 5-4 Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

WTF. Did the Wexford defence all get struck by lightning or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

WTF. Did the Wexford defence all get struck by lightning or something?

I was constantly refreshing et hoping for the 5th!

On the way back from the show grounds, Sligo started well brutal second half though. Longford could well have got something. Nugent got mom... Altho didn't think he had to work too hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Both back fours were awful throughout. We were pretty lucky overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Weirdest game I was ever at, in atrocious conditions. A win is a win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Rovers took a serious battering last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Great to hear some of the Dundalk lads and Stephen Kenny on RTE radio with Marian Finucane this morning.

The national broadcaster should be getting behind the leagues representatives in Europe.

Great to hear some of the Dundalk lads and Stephen Kenny on RTE radio with Marian Finucane this morning.

The national broadcaster should be getting behind the leagues representatives in Europe.

RTE have been really shown up this year for their lack of coverage.

Found this recent article and Ryle Nugents comments about the LOI reveal a lot about his attitude.
    Not long after Ireland’s national team finished their campaign in France, focus switched to see how League of Ireland clubs would progress in Europe.
    But out of the 18 qualifying matches involving League of Ireland sides, RTÉ broadcast just one – Dundalk’s home play-off tie against Legia Warsaw, a match the broadcaster would have been already contractually obliged to show due to their agreement with Uefa.
    Over that period, many viewers were left annoyed that RTÉ did not show Dundalk’s historic 3-0 victory over Belorussian champions BATE Borisov, a game that was broadcast live on eir Sports, who will also show all six of the Lilywhites’ Europa League group matches.
    “I don’t regret not showing it,” says Nugent. ”In this instance, there were other broadcasters who had the capacity to spend their money that they may not be spending in other areas.

“None of us have a crystal ball. We have a finite amount of money and resources both human and technological that we can employ in our sports coverage.
    “We have to make strategic, intelligent choices in order to get the very best out of that.
    “One thing that comes up regularly is that we don’t do enough League of Ireland coverage. We do in my view.
    “The audience numbers that engage and watch our League of Ireland coverage, where we do 17 live matches a year, including the two semi-finals and final of the FAI Cup, plus a weekly highlights show, compared to the number of people that watch these programmes, absolutely stacks up.
    “In my view, the best way to support the league is by doing the number of live games and providing a highlights show, rather than waiting for the potential of a latter round Champions League tie and riding in our horse.”

In other words as long as he's calling the shots there the league will be an afterthought.

• Advertisement

Found this recent article and Ryle Nugents comments about the LOI reveal a lot about his attitude.
    Not long after Ireland s national team finished their campaign in France, focus switched to see how League of Ireland clubs would progress in Europe.
    But out of the 18 qualifying matches involving League of Ireland sides, RT broadcast just one Dundalk s home play-off tie against Legia Warsaw, a match the broadcaster would have been already contractually obliged to show due to their agreement with Uefa.
    Over that period, many viewers were left annoyed that RT did not show Dundalk s historic 3-0 victory over Belorussian champions BATE Borisov, a game that was broadcast live on eir Sports, who will also show all six of the Lilywhites Europa League group matches.
    I don t regret not showing it, says Nugent. In this instance, there were other broadcasters who had the capacity to spend their money that they may not be spending in other areas.

None of us have a crystal ball. We have a finite amount of money and resources both human and technological that we can employ in our sports coverage.
    We have to make strategic, intelligent choices in order to get the very best out of that.
    One thing that comes up regularly is that we don t do enough League of Ireland coverage. We do in my view.
    The audience numbers that engage and watch our League of Ireland coverage, where we do 17 live matches a year, including the two semi-finals and final of the FAI Cup, plus a weekly highlights show, compared to the number of people that watch these programmes, absolutely stacks up.
    In my view, the best way to support the league is by doing the number of live games and providing a highlights show, rather than waiting for the potential of a latter round Champions League tie and riding in our horse.

In other words as long as he's calling the shots there the league will be an afterthought.

It'll be a great day when Ryle is an afterthought in RTE.

Best way to support the league isn't to change kickoff times to inconvenience fans either, and to put on a highlights show when potential fans are awake. And to possibly take Peter Collins away from presenting duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Ryle is too busy tossing himself off over bod or tommy bowe to notice a league of Ireland game. A smug elitist prick if ever I met one

Patww79 wrote: »

I dunno, reading out Wexford 5-4 Galway with no inflection like it was the most normal thing going, at least make it sound like you care.

Stephen Kenny awarded "Man of the Year" by Irish Tatler.

Cork fans are incandescent at the snub to John Caulfield. Dublin media eh.

http://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/irish-tatler-man-men-of-the-year-awards-kennedy-kenny-and-mcmahon-among-winners-35131995.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Cork fans are incandescent at the snub to John Caulfield. Dublin media eh.

Really? I highly doubt that any Cork City supporter would have expected John Caulfield to be up there amongst them.

• Advertisement

Wilberto wrote: »
    Really? I highly doubt that any Cork City supporter would have expected John Caulfield to be up there amongst them.

The eejits were frothing at the mouth at the Dundalk lads being on the Marian Finucane Show this morning.

The national media are conspiring against them don't you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Never thought I'd ever see Tatler mention on the LOI forum, but there ya go.

It doesn't help that someone here goes on the City forum trolling on the wind up, pretty childish to be honest. Most Dundalk fans here are pretty fair and balanced with their success so all that is a bit sad really.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cobh beating Athlone, Drogs beating UCD.

UCD missing out on the playoffs as it stands.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

The eejits were frothing at the mouth at the Dundalk lads being on the Marian Finucane Show this morning.

The national media are conspiring against them don't you know.

At least it was only for the morning. Dundalk people are always frothing at the mouth on account of the lethal cocktail of diesel fumes and the rabies plague sweeping the town.

Mushy wrote: »
    I dunno, reading out Wexford 5-4 Galway with no inflection like it was the most normal thing going, at least make it sound like you care.

Anybody remember East Fife 4 Forfar 5 ( or was yet the other way around) score line on the BBC sports at 5pm on a Saturday

This guy knew how to deliver a score line, his inflections were brilliant.

www.bbc.com/sport/football/28844131

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Stunning work by Cobh to overhaul UCD. Well done to them. They were on their arse last year and now they are in a playoff.
    Take note Waterford and Athlone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Waterford have some very good young players in Wall only 16 & Dean Walsh 19.
    If rumours of investment are true they could do well next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

First Divison proper ha ended now.Has t be the worst season in living memory for this level interms of quality and attendance. Has to be some changes for next season and some assistance to some clubs particularly Athlone, Shelbourne and Waterford. I wonder will Cork, Dundalk or even St Patricks Ath enter a 2nd string side into the division or maybe some intermediate club could be enticed to join but probably wishful thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

wadacrack wrote: »
    First Divison proper ha ended now.Has t be the worst season in living memory for this level interms of quality and attendance. Has to be some changes for next season and some assistance to some clubs particularly Athlone, Shelbourne and Waterford. I wonder will Cork, Dundalk or even St Patricks Ath enter a 2nd string side into the division or maybe some intermediate club could be enticed to join but probably wishful thinking.

Reserve sides wouldn't add anything to the division. Likewise, the league doesn't need Saint Kevin's or the likes putting in skeleton sides to get into the youth leagues.

Like you've said clubs need assistance. The number of clubs is far from the leagues top problem.
    If its an 8 team league so be it but make sure it's well run.
    Having to pay affiliation fees at that level is a joke. Clubs are finding it hard enough to survive without paying for the privilege.

The smart thing at this stage is probably for those 3 clubs to wind up. Take a step away from the league and demand reform before they return. Galway and Cobh have shown pulling out of the league doesn't have to be the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Anyone know the playoff schedule?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Congrats to Drogs and Cobh.
    tumblr_l9i3ucVqLV1qc073co1_400.gif

But in all seriousness, it's not good enough that we were overhauled for 3rd place. I think we were 6 points or so ahead of Cobh with 5 games remaining. But as usual our slow start and finish has cost us (that draw against Athlone last month is the result that sticks out).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

What's the story with tolka park? Why are shelbourne having to sell up? Was it the bad financial management of the club?

Fond memories of going to Tolka in the 90s, great shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

Would be great to see Cobh in the PD next season

Drumpot wrote: »
    What's the story with tolka park? Why are shelbourne having to sell up? Was it the bad financial management of the club?

Fond memories of going to Tolka in the 90s, great shame.

Borrowing money to buy success eventually catches up on a club.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

The play-off position is looking interesting now as well.
    Big game in Ferrycarrig next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'd be interested to know how much they spend covering rugby compared to soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

So Shels were saying:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

sidcon wrote: »
    So Shels were saying:
    What year is that from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

CSF wrote: »
    What year is that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Shels should move to swords and get fingal county council/FAI to help them build a stadium.

From derby point of view I wish Drogheda all the best in the playoffs. Will be tight in both matches and the premier division isn't settled yet. Wexford could still pull the rabbit out if the hat.

• Advertisement

joeysoap wrote: »
    From derby point of view I wish Drogheda all the best in the playoffs.

I haven't missed the derby matches this season. I thought I would but no. They never added anything significant to our gates anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement