Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

joeysoap wrote: »
    Rafter was one of the better players in a shockingly bad Dundalk in 2012. He scored the two goals against Waterford in the playoff which kept us in the premier. Bit overweight though .

reassuring that he could do a job, still is from some accounts! Id feel much better about our chances (goal scoring capability) with him on board. We will need a bit of luck with injuries but Ollie has strengthened where required

Mark Farren laid to rest today, few details here. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

He's still a bit overweight to be fair as i seen him training.

As for wages, nothing substansial otherwise we'd be getting better calibre players Santry Red. Maybe was upped a bit as we needed Prem Div experience and maybe the guarantee of First team football was attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

He's still a bit overweight to be fair as i seen him training.

As for wages, nothing substansial otherwise we'd be getting better calibre players Santry Red. Maybe was upped a bit as we needed Prem Div experience and maybe the guarantee of First team football was attractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

If ye get Rafter back fit and somewhere near his best he'd be a good signing. Had a heartbreaking injury down here in Cork and never played, I presume his lack of fitness is him coming back from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mushy wrote: »
    Dunno wtf is going on at bray though, might need some players this season too. Nothing changes I guess.

Heh, 6 of the under 19s up to the first team. It'll be a glorious success or a dismal failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Dundalk didn't look up to much last night in Tolka, only when Horgan came out they started to dominate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I read the match report on the Dundalk website, and for balance had a look at the Shels website to compare reports. From that report

"The goal was all the Lilywhites deserved as they had 12 shots on target in the opening quarter alone."

I'm hoping we have another good year, but realistic enough to know last year was special and unlikely to be repeated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Dundalk didn't look up to much last night in Tolka, only when Horgan came out they started to dominate.

Ah here :D

Firstly, only 3 of our guaranteed first XI started the game. We started a 17 year old as our lone striker. We still bossed the game without getting out of first gear. I seen the stats and we had 72% possession so don't think we'll be panicking too much.

The pitch was also in terrible nick which didn't help the football. It played extremely slow, cut up badly and grass was a few inches too long. The Shels players struggled badly on it too and it'll be a real leveler when you host the weaker teams in the first division.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

doncarlos wrote: »
    Ah here :D

Firstly, only 3 of our guaranteed first XI started the game. We started a 17 year old as our lone striker. We still bossed the game without getting out of first gear. I seen the stats and we had 72% possession so don't think we'll be panicking too much.

The pitch was also in terrible nick which didn't help the football. It played extremely slow, cut up badly and grass was a few inches too long. The Shels players struggled badly on it too and it'll be a real leveler when you host the weaker teams in the first division.

So same as the last...... god knows how many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Good game between Youths women and UCD waves tonight. Check out 2:15 for a classic LOI referee decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

I thought Horgan did very little when he came on.

Dundalk were better when McEleney was on the pitch. His movement and passing was top notch.

It was a very controlled performance, nothing exceptional, but it was great to give some of the u19s some game time.

Shels struggled to control the ball or put more than three passes together. However, that could have been due to the pitch not being great and Dundalk working very hard to close down the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

what game were u watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Rover lost 2-0 to Dnipro u21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Good news for football in the southeast. Important for football to have a long term hub there that hopefully can be developed in time too to be a comfortable little ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Getting two 'bring a friend' passes with season tickets at Sligo Rovers this season. Is that something other teams do as well?

I'll be sure to use them in the summer months to introduce someone to the LOI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Oat23 wrote: »
    Getting two 'bring a friend' passes with season tickets at Sligo Rovers this season. Is that something other teams do as well?

No. Excellent idea though.

They work for any league game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

doncarlos wrote: »
    No. Excellent idea though.

They work for any league game?

Says they are valid for any league game during the season, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

City did it a few years. The concept is good, but the problem is that people usually give them to their regular match-going buddies rather than new fans. So, you lose out on gate money and don't really see a boost in attendance. It's a shame, because if it worked for a small match, you'd have a noticeable boost in the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The danger is also the new attendee sees a poor game and its a case of "I aint ever coming back to watch that ***** again".

Happened with me when I brought some work colleagues to a Derry game a few years back.

NIMAN wrote: »
    The danger is also the new attendee sees a poor game and its a case of "I aint ever coming back to watch that ***** again".

Happened with me when I brought some work colleagues to a Derry game a few years back.

There's nothing you can do about that. Some matches will be bad, it's just the way it is. The club and the fans can just do their best in attracting them with good promotion/marketing and give a good overall impression. Eg, good facilities, helpful staff, good atmosphere etc.

• Advertisement

Totally agree. Many EPL matches are bad, to expect every EL game to be super exciting would be madness.

But people will use it as an excuse not to return to local football and head back to the barstool.

Totally agree. Many EPL matches are bad, to expect every EL game to be super exciting would be madness.

But people will use it as an excuse not to return to local football and head back to the barstool.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Lads I have a problem, I'm a season ticket holder at Tallaght but I've been seeing a girl in Cork for the last month or so. Looks like the cross could be getting an extra two supporters.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Lads I have a problem, I'm a season ticket holder at Tallaght.....

I can see your problem ;)

NIMAN wrote: »

I wouldn't worry about it. Leave them off, best focussing your energy on trying to get others who might return. Only a certain percentage will, so the more we try, the more likely we'll find fans that will stay on.
    Lads I have a problem, I'm a season ticket holder at Tallaght but I've been seeing a girl in Cork for the last month or so. Looks like the cross could be getting an extra two supporters.

I don't see your problem. You get to go out with a lovely Cork girl and see a great team. Welcome to the City family!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    I don't see your problem. You get to go out with a lovely Cork girl and see a great team. Welcome to the City family!

She's not from Cork. I do go to the cross now and again as one of my best mates (I was his best man) is a big City fan. Fun fact: I lost my virginity wearing a Cork City jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Rovers are excellent at putting these kinds of promotions in place. The twitter/Facebook page and website is very well run too. Theres other clubs not even bothering their hole. Rovers, Dundalk and a few others have 15k followers and that's a serious advantage when it comes to promoting clubs.

Rovers are excellent at putting these kinds of promotions in place. The twitter/Facebook page and website is very well run too. Theres other clubs not even bothering their hole. Rovers, Dundalk and a few others have 15k followers and that's a serious advantage when it comes to promoting clubs.

It's so easy to do too, every club should be able to get that amount.

That's the problem is few clubs seem to get it. I think clubs should just ask for volunteers, particularly in areas they need them in, some fans would help out.

• Advertisement

That's the problem is few clubs seem to get it. I think clubs should just ask for volunteers, particularly in areas they need them in, some fans would help out.

Without a doubt. If I lived nearer bray I'd do it myself.

Agreed. Theres so many benefits to it. It's free advertising. All it takes is one click of a button and a club can advertise a game or merchandise. Then it's so attractive to sponsors to be associated with clubs with that level of a following.
    Theres no excuse what so ever.
    But then there's clubs pissing around and not updating their accounts at all.

and then you look at Cabo getting themselves onto joe.ie and that, what was their promotion at Christmas, first person to win the Champions League with them in FM16 gets a season ticket or something like that. The Yaya Touré joke got a bit of publicity also and they've had a couple more.

and then you look at Cabo getting themselves onto joe.ie and that, what was their promotion at Christmas, first person to win the Champions League with them in FM16 gets a season ticket or something like that? The Yaya Touré joke got a bit of publicity also and they've had a couple more.

and then you look at Cabo getting themselves onto joe.ie and that, what was their promotion at Christmas, first person to win the Champions League with them in FM16 gets a season ticket or something like that. The Yaya Touré joke got a bit of publicity also and they've had a couple more.

Actually saw something on Facebook of the FAI having a marketing function hosted by the people who work with Cabo. Hoping it's a startup who offered services...it's worked anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Then you have Shels who've been turning volunteers away from running the social media side of things. Can't be relinquishing control now can they.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

No such thing as a volunteer :)

They always want something be it thanks or something, they always want it.

And in the LOI the above is certainly true (in my experience).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Harps had been keeping their official announcements for the fans forum tonight, in general they have all been badly kept secrets. Dykes confirmed as assistant manager.
    Richard Brush signed up in goals and Liam flately also from Sligo.
    Dave Scully and Adam Hanlon from Bray
    Michael rafter confirmed too along with Ethan Boyle from Waterford.

Added to McConnell, Sean Houston and Ryan Curran I'm happy enough with how we have strengthened and retained. Up to 25 now I think, although rafter isn't expected to be ready for the start of the season.

A barrier to be put in on the town end terrace which will allow us to increase capacity by 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

http://www.dundalkfc.com/community/

I wouldn''d apply not bothering their hole' to Dundalk.

And Dundalk give 500 free season tickets to school going children.

joeysoap wrote: »
    http://www.dundalkfc.com/community/

I wouldn''d apply not bothering their hole' to Dundalk.

And Dundalk give 500 free season tickets to school going children.

Try reading what I wrote again.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    No such thing as a volunteer :)

They always want something be it thanks or something, they always want it.

And in the LOI the above is certainly true (in my experience).

Even if it's for a bit of networking, what harm? For example, I'm a student of languages (French and German), I could be used as a fan liaison, security announcer or something equally as mundane for European nights if anyone got a French or German speaking team. This also adds a little bit extra to the match experience. It is then possible someone at the game needs a translator in the future and asks someone at Rovers who they used? If clubs advertised in their own match programme, it could happen.

• Advertisement

Even if it's for a bit of networking, what harm? For example, I'm a student of languages (French and German), I could be used as a fan liaison, security announcer or something equally as mundane for European nights if anyone got a French or German speaking team. This also adds a little bit extra to the match experience. It is then possible someone at the game needs a translator in the future and asks someone at Rovers who they used? If clubs advertised in their own match programme, it could happen.

I 100% agree with anyone wanting to get involved with their LOI club, just do it because you want to with no strings attached.

For those like you it will be a short lived experience and I commend people like you who just want to help out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

My boss was in the same boat 30 odd years ago. Now he's married too her with kids and goes too the cross most Friday nights too. Still wears his Rovers hat around the beergarden and even in the cross but everyone knows him and laughs it off. Still a thick Dublin accent on him tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

maybe you could help us understand the locals when we next visit the cross...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

They kept calling us langers when we serenading them about their heroes( even tho he played with Cobh)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

1860 2-2 Rovers at half time, three penalties...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    City did it a few years. The concept is good, but the problem is that people usually give them to their regular match-going buddies rather than new fans. So, you lose out on gate money and don't really see a boost in attendance. It's a shame, because if it worked for a small match, you'd have a noticeable boost in the crowd.

When did this happen? I've been a season ticket holder for 10+ years and cannot remember this ever happening. Not to say it didn't, just no memory of it.

gimmick wrote: »
    When did this happen? I've been a season ticket holder for 10+ years and cannot remember this ever happening. Not to say it didn't, just no memory of it.

Pretty sure you posted about it here :confused:

Getting old :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Getting old :pac:

Every day :(

Forrester on BBC1 now his team are also on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Forrester on BBC1 now his team are also on tv.

Decent mention in the build up. Playing a different role to his Pat's days.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement