Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

CHealy wrote: »
    Great night at the Cross last night, each and every one of those City players can be proud of what they achieved, not one fella let themselves down. City could, and should have been 3-0 up after the first half, totally dominated Helsinki. Second half fitness really showed and the last 20 minutes was a real struggle for our lads, think half the team went down with cramp. But these Helsinki boys are a full time academy, they're not scattered around Helsinki in different schools and colleges like the Cork City lads, they are a full time setup, which makes last night all the more incredible.

1300 turning up on a Wednesday night with CL on the tele is another great achievement from last night.

Roma is the prize for these lads now, invaluable experience in their development, I really think theres 4 maybe 5 of this u19 squad that will make it onto the first team in the next couple of years, which will be a serious return from our underage setup.

Was my first time seeing the u19 in couple of years, but I was very impressed with Midfield pair and No 9. 2 CB pair are solid too. Better team over the 90 minutes last night went through.

say few sore legs this morning, im sure they dont mind though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

That's Cian Coleman in the middle of the park for City. Great talent and great attitude. He's captain of the team aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

MrMac84 wrote: »
    That's Cian Coleman in the middle of the park for City. Great talent and great attitude. He's captain of the team aswell

Think he was CB no? The other lad is Alec Byrne from Carrigaline, has turned down a few offers from England to stay with City and complete his studies apparently. Big future for those two and Ogbene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Very disappointing media reporting of the Europa Youth League. I thought it would have got a lot more mention. It is a significant achievement after all.

Goalie was very solid too.

Was just impressed with how they set up, pressed and passed ball.

Next game is a step too many but it's still terrific effort.

Those Finnish lads had their names on back of jerseys, nice gear and looked the part, but Cork week the better side.

Very disappointing media reporting of the Europa Youth League. I thought it would have got a lot more mention. It is a significant achievement after all.

Do you think the honeymoon period is over? The Irish public have a very short attention span for all things good in sport in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Think he was CB no? The other lad is Alec Byrne from Carrigaline, has turned down a few offers from England to stay with City and complete his studies apparently. Big future for those two and Ogbene.

Not sure but the city Twitter had Cian as cm. https://mobile.twitter.com/ClubApp/status/788802990241120256/photo/1

Do you think the honeymoon period is over? The Irish public have a very short attention span for all things good in sport in Ireland.

I was listening to Off The Ball last night and they were discussing the Champions League results.

Kevin Kilbane went out of his way to bring up Cork's terrific achievement against Helsinki. The presenter barely knew that there was a game. That is what you're up against.

I was listening to Off The Ball last night and they were discussing the Champions League results.

Kevin Kilbane went out of his way to bring up Cork's terrific achievement against Helsinki. The presenter barely knew that there was a game. That is what you're up against.

Off The Ball is a great show but they give LOI a token few minutes with Stuey Byrne once a week and thats that, poor coverage.

Maybe its because Im in Cork but even Dundalks game tonight seems to be a bit more diluted that the previous two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

At work there's been a lot of interest shown today by people who normally don't even know who the first team are playing. Some of them even contemplating going to the Cross for the Roma game.

Maybe its because Im in Cork but even Dundalks game tonight seems to be a bit more diluted that the previous two.

The previous two got very little media attention beforehand.

The media attention came after the games, due to their surprise at Dundalk getting good results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Can't see how some members of our board's positions are still tenable after that statement today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

In case anyone missed it Eir Sport is freeview for Dundalk vs Zenit on Sky (423).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The board have a lot more to be apologising for before getting around to what they were on about today.[/quote]
    The headline seemed a bit tongue in cheek to me. 'Shelbourne FC apologises to supporters', certain members of the board seem too interested in antagonising the younger supporters to ever be more than a divisive figure in the club. Which is a pity because obviously they did a huge amount for the club at the start of 2007. But it's almost a decade on now and we can't live in the past.

• Advertisement

Was that the Shels or Waterford keeper struck by flare at weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

It was our keeper, Jack Brady. Fully accidental. He incidentally won our Player of the Year an hour or two later.

It was our keeper, Jack Brady. Fully accidental. He incidentally won our Player of the Year an hour or two later.

Just looks bit worse on video sadly. Whoever threw it possible did not see yer player, it just looks bad though
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/1020/825535-shelbourne/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

As good and all as Off the Ball is, they'll really only comment on LOI when it suits them. A lot of the time when its something bad. Far more interested in american sports...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

cms88 wrote: »
    As good and all as Off the Ball is, they'll really only comment on LOI when it suits them. A lot of the time when its something bad. Far more interested in american sports...

What the hell was he doing going near the other flare in the 1st place???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Always was a problem with that show. Even when the Second Captains lads were doing it they barely mentioned it. Shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Off the Ball is not good. Too much Rugby whenever I have listened.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Off the Ball is not good. Too much Rugby whenever I have listened.

I find it to be incredibly fair in the time they give to each sport. They have a whole hour dedicated to football like. Of course they're just simply not interested in LOI football bar a 20 min slot on a Tuesday and a mention here and there, but as a radio sports show, nothing comes close to it.

Just looks bit worse on video sadly. Whoever threw it possible did not see yer player, it just looks bad though
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/1020/825535-shelbourne/
    Whatever way one spins it, it's not acceptable. Same with the burning of seats in the stadium. No question about it. Problem is that our board have now used it to deflect from the actual issue at play in the protest, using the actions of a small few to discredit the opinions of many.

Because if you're struggling to discredit the points made by someone, then it becomes a lot easier to discredit the person themselves instead.

The other argument you'll hear made very frequently is 'sure where else would you go' or 'what would you do if you'd been in their position'. And the truthful answer is that nobody knows the answer to those questions because the board have told nobody anything despite previously claiming they would do so. Which to many people (I can't speak for anyone so I'm just going on my opinion and one I've heard expressed by others) is the biggest problem, rather than a no to Dalymount at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

BOHtox wrote: »
    Always was a problem with that show. Even when the Second Captains lads were doing it they barely mentioned it. Shame

They are giving a bit of coverage to Dundalk at the moment, but thats another problem with them. THey're very fast to jump on bandwagons

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Derry third, good job by Kenny Shiels. I think they will be challenging next year. As will Bray if they hold onto a few players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bray will lose Connolly though so I think another mid table finish is what they will achieve.
    Derry are building a very very good team. So good at producing young players who are all improving & unlike last year I think they will keep hold of them. Maybe they might try & get Timlin back too. I can see them challenging Dundalk next year along with Cork.
    Thats 3 weeks in a row Derry have came back from a goal down to win the game very impressive & came back frim 2 against Dundalk recently too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

A vital point for Harps tonight. With Wexford in the playoff place six points behind, and facing trips to Cork and Sligo, I think Harps have done enough to survive. Great achievement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Maybe Derry wouldn't have come back of our manager didn't have a fear of using substitutes. Hes done a great job in general, we're fifth and had expected a relegation battle, but his reluctance to change things is strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

A vital point for Harps tonight. With Wexford in the playoff place six points behind, and facing trips to Cork and Sligo, I think Harps have done enough to survive. Great achievement

Would be great to see Finn Harps stay up, if the people and businesses in Donegal really got behind Harps they could easily be the next Dundalk, great football tradition in the county.

• Advertisement

I think Harps are a safe bet at this stage. If Drogheda overcome Cobh I can see them overcoming Wexford. If however Cobh meet Wexford I think Wexford will prevail. Having said that I got it wrong last year, I thought Limerick were certs to stay up. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

CSF wrote: »
    Whatever way one spins it, it's not acceptable. Same with the burning of seats in the stadium. No question about it. Problem is that our board have now used it to deflect from the actual issue at play in the protest, using the actions of a small few to discredit the opinions of many.

Because if you're struggling to discredit the points made by someone, then it becomes a lot easier to discredit the person themselves instead.

The other argument you'll hear made very frequently is 'sure where else would you go' or 'what would you do if you'd been in their position'. And the truthful answer is that nobody knows the answer to those questions because the board have told nobody anything despite previously claiming they would do so. Which to many people (I can't speak for anyone so I'm just going on my opinion and one I've heard expressed by others) is the biggest problem, rather than a no to Dalymount at all costs.

Considering the Board has blantantly lied in the stadium saying Fans Group lobbed for Dalymount (which is totally incorrect) and also Joe Casey promised in 2015s Fans Forum that we would be addressed before any deal move was done!

2017 was going to be my 10th year as season ticket holder and 14th season going to Tolka - both look extremely unlikely now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Harps definitely safe, no danger from us really. Will try to enjoy the playoff I guess :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Great to see harps safe, I'd also like Wexford to best the play offs. Will be hard considering what happened a in form limerick side last year. A good geographical spread is vital.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Harps can still be caught I think...
    Harps definitely safe, no danger from us really. Will try to enjoy the playoff I guess :)

if Wexford stay up, how much work will there be to fix up the recent squad departures? They've been second bottom for a long time, is there something not clicking or is that about right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

dfx- wrote: »
    if Wexford stay up, how much work will there be to fix up the recent squad departures? They've been second bottom for a long time, is there something not clicking or is that about right?

Yeah, we have absolutely loads of squad departures to fill. It's the cost of being an amateur side. We're heavily, heavily depleted and there's not much reinforcement to come. Whatever happens, I'm extremely proud of what we've done.

On the bright side, our broadcasts on mixlr are going extremely well. Finally broke 500 listeners on www.mixlr.com/wexfordyouths, which is excellent :)

dfx- wrote: »
    Harps can still be caught I think..

I theory anyway -29 v -27

So if Wexford won two matches 1 - 0 and Harps lost 1 - 0 the points would be equal and the goal difference would swing in Youths favour by one goal

Youths away to City on Monday...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

joeysoap wrote: »
    I theory anyway -29 v -27

So if Wexford won two matches 1 - 0 and Harps lost 1 - 0 the points would be equal and the goal difference would swing in Youths favour by one goal

Youths away to City on Monday...........

Focus for the Youths has to be the playoffs. Resting some players, nursing others to full fitness and avoiding suspensions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Cork staying in the title race was a must for us last night so glad they overcame pats. Means they have something to play for against youths.

It was typical, there's a harps stats page now and it said in all 16 meetings there had never been a 0-0...jinxed it surely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

overshoot wrote: »
    Cork staying in the title race was a must for us last night so glad they overcame pats. Means they have something to play for against youths.

It was typical, there's a harps stats page now and it said in all 16 meetings there had never been a 0-0...jinxed it surely!
    A win for Dundalk tomorrow evening and Cork have nothing to play for against Youths. They may even rest a few of their main players for the cup final to ensure nobody gets injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Pighead wrote: »
    A win for Dundalk tomorrow evening and Cork have nothing to play for against Youths. They may even rest a few of their main players for the cup final to ensure nobody gets injured.

Yea just realising that, bit all over the place and not keeping proper track. had assumed ye would play at the same time... Still a chance then, especially with how Sligo played at home to Longford :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

We haven't been in the title race since Monday. Hence Caulfield going with Danny Morrissey and Marky Sull up front on Friday, along with 648 year old Dave Mulcahy at the back.

Assuming the changes weren't enforced, if means we're already resting players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Wilberto wrote: »
    along with 648 year old Dave Mulcahy at the back.

647 year old Youths keeper, Graham Doyle, would be facing his boss then. 'Sparks' will fly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

647 year old Youths keeper, Graham Doyle, would be facing his boss then. 'Sparks' will fly :)
    Wow! Wexford must be Tir na nOg :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Maybe Derry wouldn't have come back of our manager didn't have a fear of using substitutes. Hes done a great job in general, we're fifth and had expected a relegation battle, but his reluctance to change things is strange.

I don't think its strange at all.
    We`ve a weak bench made up of 4 U19s.
    I`d hope Robertson improves the team this winter. We`re very weak up front and only for Raf hit a purple patch for the first couple of months of the season we`d be no where near fifth.

• Advertisement

I don't think its strange at all.
    We`ve a weak bench made up of 4 U19s.
    I`d hope Robertson improves the team this winter. We`re very weak up front and only for Raf hit a purple patch for the first couple of months of the season we`d be no where near fifth.
    It doesn't matter who's on the bench. He doesn't use it. Except to take Kieran Sadlier off.

He also doesn't make changes to the system. The system that beat Dundalk is the same that deserved to lose to Longford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

AgileMyth wrote: »
    It doesn't matter who's on the bench. He doesn't use it. Except to take Kieran Sadlier off.

He also doesn't make changes to the system. The system that beat Dundalk is the same that deserved to lose to Longford.

Uh? :confused:

Of course it matters who's on the bench.
    If there`s no one that's going to improve the performance, what's the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

2-0 win for Drogheda down in Cobh in the first leg of the playoff this evening. Two goals in three minutes in the second half has given the Drogs a good advantage for this next leg Friday night in Drogheda

Uh? :confused:

Of course it matters who's on the bench.
    If there`s no one that's going to improve the performance, what's the point?
    Some weeks we have better players and he still doesn't make substitutions. So obviously it doesn't matter who is on the bench, they'll be sitting there for the 90 minutes regardless.

Why was Mikey Place signed up for next year if he's not good enough to even come off the bench this year?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

kksaints wrote: »
    2-0 win for Drogheda down in Cobh in the first leg of the playoff this evening. Two goals in three minutes in the second half has given the Drogs a good advantage for this next leg Friday night in Drogheda

As a Cork man, I would have liked to see Cobh come up given that their team is half made up of our former players! :pac:

A local derby would also have been quite nice. :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement