Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

When we won the league in 2012 Baraclough played a strong team the following week against Drogheda.

We only lost cause they were all steamed, which is definitely different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

AgileMyth wrote: »
    When we won the league in 2012 Baraclough played a strong team the following week against Drogheda.

No way ye had the same amount of games then as Dundalk do now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

AgileMyth wrote: »

Yes the following week not the following 48 hours.
    Dundalk have 10 games in 30 days & the FAI Cup final less than 3 days after the Zenit game in Russia.
    The FAI is the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I genuinely can't believe people are getting up in arms about this.

Graham Byrne (Dundalk's strength and conditioning coach) said on the Second Captain's Podcast that these players haven't had two consecutive days off since July time. That's absolutely insane and shows how much they need a break.

Every single manager in the exact same situation would have done the exact same thing and they are outright lying if they say any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

SantryRed wrote: »
    Every single manager in the exact same situation would have done the exact same thing and they are outright lying if they say any different.

Exactly. Wexford Youths played Cork on Monday with 4 of their usual starters and included a 17yr old and 2 under 19s. It had to be done as preparation for our playoff games. I expect more of the same this Friday against Sligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

CHealy wrote: »
    Robertsons Twitter is cringe anyway, its like he went to a buzzword seminar and setup a Twitter account immediately after.

I know this isn't really relevant, but I can't stand his voice either! Why can't they do a voice-over on Soccer Republic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I think it's only fair that Dundalk get a minimum four point deduction for bringing the game into disrepute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    I think it's only fair that Dundalk get a minimum four point deduction for bringing the game into disrepute.

:):):):):):)

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Wasn't there a thing a few years back involving a club from the Midlands (can't remember which one exactly) who upset the odds big time and certain bookies questioned the validity of the result as they ended up well out of pocket?

Not sure if its the same incident, but a few seasons ago Athlone Town lost 4-0 at home to Monaghan United, and apparently there was a flurry of very large bets for a 4-0 away win just before kick off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

https://twitter.com/SoccRepublic/status/791684643703689216

I hope Harry gets it. Seems having Kenny in your name is a good omen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

Mars Bar wrote: »

As long as the insufferable Shiels does not get it I will be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Stephen Kenny is a dead cert for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    You would be naive to think match fixing is not happening in the League of Ireland especially at the end of the season especially considering how low players wages are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Our results against Athlone and the 2 home games against Waterford stink to bits. But in reality it's hard to comment too much without solid facts, especially considering we were pretty sh*te in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Akinade done to Sligo Rovers according to the Mirror

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

JoeyJJ wrote: »

Interesting move by Dave "Mr. Integrity" Robertson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

JoeyJJ wrote: »

Thank fcuk for that, there was rumours he was coming to Cork and I don't want anything to do with a fella like that.

Hoare going to Rovers is another rumour would have thought Cork would have signed him.
    Also strong rumours of a takeover at Waterford & Fenlon coming in as Director of Football.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/pat-fenlon-linked-with-move-to-waterford-35168496.html

Director of Football? Why not just make him manager? It's the First Division.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Thank fcuk for that, there was rumours he was coming to Cork and I don't want anything to do with a fella like that.

Is it still a ban-able offence to mention his history? Even if you have the newspaper articles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Is it still a ban-able offence to mention his history? Even if you have the newspaper articles?

I believe so yes, of course I was referring to the fact he's Bohs...:)

I believe so yes, of course I was referring to the fact he's Bohs...:)

Why so, its factual...it did happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The 'right to be forgotten' law should not apply to individuals discussing something on a forum. If someone was banned for it on here it would be because it is against boards own rules.

Signing him is a headache I don't want. I would have to consider how much support I give the club going forward if this is the type of player my €'s are going towards.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Hoare going to Rovers is another rumour would have thought Cork would have signed him.
    Also strong rumours of a takeover at Waterford & Fenlon coming in as Director of Football.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/pat-fenlon-linked-with-move-to-waterford-35168496.html

That's a good move by Waterford, Fenlon is a good manager. He'll need money though and I don't know if Waterford have it.

Sligo asking season ticket supporters to pay in tonight. I think Dundalk did something similar a few years ago to help finances.

Mars Bar wrote: »

I hope Kenny gets it. :)

Seriously though, why isn't John Caulfield nominated. Cracking season, great run in Europe, ran Dundalk to the line and in the cup final. Should have been nominated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Any reason to believe this Waterford story more than any of the other myths this year?

Oat23 wrote: »
    The 'right to be forgotten' law should not apply to individuals discussing something on a forum. If someone was banned for it on here it would be because it is against boards own rules.

But yet there is loads being said about an innocent welsh lad that is damaging to him yet his innocent

But yet there is loads being said about an innocent welsh lad that is damaging to him yet his innocent

I can't get my head around the reason that the "Welsh lad" is subject to huge levels of comment from the media, while another case is completely ignored by the very same media.

I can't get my head around the reason that the "Welsh lad" is subject to huge levels of comment from the media, while another case is completely ignored by the very same media.

Bit like the cake and the wedding invite. One gets massive publicity (probably because from Norn Iron) and the other is barely mentioned. Double standards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Basically Rovers and Pats will continue their annual squad swap arrangement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

dfx- wrote: »
    Basically Rovers and Pats will continue their annual squad swap arrangement

Hoare looked very frustrated from the halfway point in the season. Hopefully Bucko brings in a reliable centre half to influence him. Maybe time for Ger to switch to centre back and give Barker a proper run?

Yes the following week not the following 48 hours.
    Dundalk have 10 games in 30 days & the FAI Cup final less than 3 days after the Zenit game in Russia.
    The FAI is the problem.

FAI want to extent the season, but clubs rejected it as most of them are only offering 9 month contracts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

They'd surely be needing to rest as many as possible in the Zenit game at this stage.

I don't know why everyone says this. It will be a full strength Dundalk side on Thursday night

That is not the attitude that has enabled Dundalk to achieve more in Europe than any other Irish team.

the chances of anything in Russia are miniscule.

Careful now....

I don't know why everyone says this. It will be a full strength Dundalk side on Thursday night

I think I'd be in the rest players camp as well if it was my team. It's St Petersburg on a Thursday in a game where you've ****all chance of getting a result no matter what team you play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think the Zenit game is a game the players would really want to play in, the type of game that's a reward for their run. The journey there and back will be long no matter who plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

CSF wrote: »
    I think I'd be in the rest players camp as well if it was my team. It's St Petersburg on a Thursday in a game where you've ****all chance of getting a result no matter what team you play.

Now where i have i heard that before :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Just like we had no chance V BATE, AZ or Tel Aviv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Upsets happen when you've your best players playing out of their skins and the other team have an off day. There's so much on the line, a draw could net them 100,000 Euro and they looked very capable of getting at least that last time out.

Was talking to a lad down the local last night and we were discussing John Delaney's recent visit to our small village club who are in the 3rd division of the TSDL. The FAI done a tour of Delaney's home county around that time to the various clubs.

The club received (gratefully i might add and thats fair enough) €10000 off the FAI. Double what the LOI clubs were given. It was a blatant PR stunt by Delaney at a time where it was all kicking off with Hickey over in Brazil and he was trying to take the heat off himself.

Really puts into context though what the FAI thinks of the League of Ireland and shows how amazing some of the clubs are to keep persisting against such odds when your own governing association not even on your side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Was talking to a lad down the local last night and we were discussing John Delaney's recent visit to our small village club who are in the 3rd division of the TSDL. The FAI done a tour of Delaney's home county around that time to the various clubs.

The club received (gratefully i might add and thats fair enough) €10000 off the FAI. Double what the LOI clubs were given. It was a blatant PR stunt by Delaney at a time where it was all kicking off with Hickey over in Brazil and he was trying to take the heat off himself.

Really puts into context though what the FAI thinks of the League of Ireland and shows how amazing some of the clubs are to keep persisting against such odds when your own governing association not even on your side

Just like the whores in Irish politics, no money to clubs or leagues without going out to milk all the credit for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

No chance Dundalk will be resting players against Zenit. There was an argument, on the club side of things, for resting them ahead of league games, as you need to be in the Champions League to be making the big bucks (bigger windfalls for dropping down to the EL and EL qualifiers give next to no chance of group qualification). But for a Cup Final which, whilst a prestigious event, is something they've already achieved last year and would net them about 20% that a draw in Russia would?

Even putting aside what would be best for the club's long term finances, does anyone really think that a normal starter would accept being dropped for a Europa League in favour of a domestic match? Europe is obviously a much bigger deal and a much bigger shop window for bigger clubs. If players weren't rested ahead of important league matches, it certainly won't happen for the cup.

I'm incline to agree with Paz-CCFC, I think the 'first team' players would be disappointed if dropped. If they were showing any signs of fatigue or injury they would accept and understand the reason, but bar that I can't see any reason to drop players. Benson came off last night feeling his hamstring so maybe see him on the bench?

While it is true Dundalk would get more for a draw than winning the cup, I think it's a unlikely to happen. Zenit are a top club, and will be looking to seal up winners in group early to rest players later for their own league campaign. The Russian premier league is only 1/3 the way through yet and they will want to win that and qualify for CL football next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

No way will Dundalk rest players, they went toe to toe with Zenit in Tallaght and except for their mad schedule I think they would have got a result

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I hope Dundalk do play a full team against Zenit, get a result, but unfortunate enough to pick up injuries to several key players. Only minor injuries though, but enough to keep them out of the final on Sunday.

Of course, my opinion may be slightly biased.

:pac: :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

My mate just sent me Pat Flynn's retirement statement. Even though I hated him on the pitch, he comes across as humble and it's a great read.

Today I retire.
    So I thought….. i better do a statement. I’m going to name drop a bit so please forgive me.

I didn’t want to retire but the legs don’t move like they used to and when the slowest player in the league says to me “I’ll be your legs” I knew I had to call it a day…so thanks for that Mark Rossiter.

To Kiara…….My girlfriend in my Joeys days and now my wife as I finished in Longford. You were there for it all.Thanks for your patience, understanding and keeping my feet on the ground.

Leaving for work at 8am, going straight to training and getting home at 9pm was tough…so to my kids I apologise for missing so much and look forward to spending all my time with you. If you have my passion on the pitch and your Mam’s passion in the bedroom you will excel at whatever you choose.
    Big thanks to my family who helped me so much over the years. Especially my Dad, you went out of your way so much to help me, I’ll never forget that.
    To my friends who’ve been there since the start and supported me home and away, thank you.

To my aunties and uncles who looked after me when I was clubless in England, thank you.

To all the Coaches, Managers, Physio’s and Kitmen I’ve had, and the time you put in, thank you so much.

To all my teammates….thank you for your ability to adjust to playing with 10 men most weeks.

To the referees, I apologise for the tackles and my colourful language that led to them colourful cards. My wife would like to thank you for the hundreds of Euro’s in fines I had to pay because of you.

To the fans of Waterford thanks for making me a cult hero.

To the fans of Shels, it’s my biggest regret in my career that you got relegated when I played for you, it’s a huge club and shouldn’t be in that situation.

To the Pats fans, I got paid for doing what you do…..watching games from a bench every week. It wasn’t down to lack of trying, it was just Kenna and O’Brien were outstanding. I hope I repaid you with the Cup Final song I wrote for you.

To the Longford fans, I admire the handful of lads who follow the team everywhere they go. We had bad nights but some great ones too. It’s a great club. Thank you.

To everyone at Shamrock Rovers thank you. Friday nights and coming from my house you could see the floodlights. Pulling on the famous green and white and hearing the fans sing as you wait in the tunnel, then the teasing smell of burgers and chips as you wait for the whistle to blow. It’s what you dream of. I was just a fan that got lucky.

To the Fans of Bohs, I loved playing in Dalymount. I loved the abuse and I loved having Coke bottles hopped off my head. I didn’t like you, but I have to say I admired your passion too and I’ll miss it.

Football is the greatest game on earth and anyone who says otherwise is a lying Luther.
    It gave me the chance to win All Irelands.
    It gave me the chance to learn from my hero Denis Irwin everyday in training.
    It gave me the chance to play in the same team as a man people say is the maddest man in football, Paul Gascoigne….this was true, until I met Boccer Bayly.
    It gave me the chance to captain my country at youth level and blast out Amhrán na bhFiann.
    It gave me the chance to meet the President of Ireland.
    It gave me so many kicks in the balls, like relegations, injuries, missing Christmas’ and missing friends & family.
    It gave me the chance to win leagues with superstars like Twigg, Bradley, Baker, Salmon and O’Sullivan.
    It gave me the chance to have great friends like Stephen Rice and Pat Sullivan, classy on and off the pitch.
    It gave me the chance to mark Cristiano Ronaldo from corners.
    It gave me the chance to stand in a helpless wall when Del Piero stuck a free in top corner.
    It gave me a chance to play against the leagues best…..Derek Pender, Glen Crowe, Jason Byrne, John O’Flynn and Christy Fagan.
    It gave me the chance to play under great captains like Kenna and Murray.
    It gave me a rivalry with Killian Brennan, a great player that wasn’t afraid to kick me back. I’ll miss that.
    It gave me a chance to miss a peno in front of 30,000 people in Lansdowne Road.
    It gave me the chance to have songs sung about me….some good, some bad.
    It gave me the chance to play for all of Dublin’s big clubs.
    Anyone that watches football will know I’m an average player but hard work and commitment was the reason I got all these chances.

If I can do it anyone can.
    Never give up.
    Thank you football.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement