Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Omackeral wrote: »
    My mate just sent me Pat Flynn's retirement statement. Even though I hated him on the pitch, he comes across as humble and it's a great read.

TLDR.

:D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That's a very good statement and he seems like a nice guy, although I wouldn't have too many nice things to say about his time at Shels.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

most of my fondest memories of Pat Flynn are from his commitment in kicking Bohs players all over the pitch - especially the 3-2 defeat in the LSC. Watched highlights of Longford at Dalymount this season and he was still at it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Is Conan Byrne retiring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Is Conan Byrne retiring?

He was one if the few good things about Pats this year. I'd love to see him at Dundalk. He wouldn't pay every game but is still one of the top if not the top right wingers in the league

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

doncarlos wrote: »
    He was one if the few good things about Pats this year. I'd love to see him at Dundalk. He wouldn't pay every game but is still one of the top if not the top right wingers in the league

He can join Andy Boyle who like Conan wasn't good enough for Shels according to Alan Matthews.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

doncarlos wrote: »

If one of the *rumours going the rounds is to be believed there is a chance you might get your wish.

* plenty of rumours going the rounds at the match last Friday, both players in and out. I'd prefer to wait for SK to make the announcements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Fagan was linked to Dundalk alright but I haven't heard anything about Byrne joining Dundalk. He is going part time next season anyway because he has qualified as a teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Heard from commiteee member Akinade to Rovers is bull****, however you want to take that, he said family club couldn't justify signing someone with his past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Would not go to Cork match while he was playing if he joined us.

Don't need that type at any club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm all for second chances in most cases. Yes he was 16. He did something really bad and really stupid. But after reading the state the victim was left in following the incident I would find it impossible to support a Sligo Rovers side with him in it. It's not right that he can get on with his life as normal(*) and the victim is left suicidal and abandoned by her family.

* Yes he has a record for life, but a move up from Bohs to a professional side would prove that it is not affecting his life right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

From reading the comments on here I can have a fair guess at what happened but google is not showing anything up, could someone fill me in on what happened with him exactly? Or a link to it, by PM if it's not okay to post on the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Oat23 wrote: »
    I'm all for second chances in most cases. Yes he was 16. He did something really bad and really stupid. But after reading the state the victim was left in following the incident I would find it impossible to support a Sligo Rovers side with him in it. It's not right that he can get on with his life as normal(*) and the victim is left suicidal and abandoned by her family.

* Yes he has a record for life, but a move up from Bohs to a professional side would prove that it is not affecting his life right now.

Bohs fans seemed to love him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

From reading the comments on here I can have a fair guess at what happened but google is not showing anything up, could someone fill me in on what happened with him exactly? Or a link to it, by PM if it's not okay to post on the forum.

It's not online due to the "the right to be forgotten" EU law.

Never even knew a law like that existed. One or two have PM'd with details and links so I'm aware what happened now, disgraceful. Something like that should not be allowed to be forgotten I wouldn't think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Never even knew a law like that existed. One or two have PM'd with details and links so I'm aware what happened now, disgraceful. Something like that should not be allowed to be forgotten I wouldn't think.

I think it's a ban able offence to mention his crimes on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

kksaints wrote: »
    Fagan was linked to Dundalk alright but I haven't heard anything about Byrne joining Dundalk. He is going part time next season anyway because he has qualified as a teacher.

yep, thats was one of the rumours on the go, Connolly from Bray another, Endless roumours, Whoever SK does sign is not automatically in the first team, Sean Maguire wanted guaranteed first team football (you cannot blame him for that) and not just one of three forwards with one on and one subbing in most matches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Patww79 wrote: »

I've a feeling a lot of people arent aware of it. I wasnt until I saw it mentioned on here and had a look for more info.

I've a feeling a lot of people arent aware of it. I wasnt until I saw it mentioned on here and had a look for more info.

A lot of people do know it, he gets some abuse from time to time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Can a mod confirm this? I had a look through the charter and while it mentions abusing players as a warning offence, it says nothing about commenting on players criminal records.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

BTW when I said I never wanted see him in Cork or I would not go to any games if he joined, it was not a go at Bohs fans either.

I don't look at Bohs fans and think they are any worse for shouting when he scores cause plenty Cork people would do same.

I doubt he was ever coming to Cork anyway, but personally he can stay as far away as possible. I don't care how young he was at time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

First I heard was this week, when he was also linked to Derry City, then I read about him and to be honest wouldn't want him anywhere near us, no matter how good he is.

• Advertisement

First leg of the playoff between Wexford and Drogheda has just started. Tough one to decide Wexford have conceded a lot of goals in the last few weeks. Drogs did really well against Cobh in the first leg of the first division playoff but almost threw it away on Friday night.There is commentary for the match so I hope this link works.

http://mixlr.com/wexfordyouths/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

dan1895 wrote: »
    He can join Andy Boyle who like Conan wasn't good enough for Shels according to Alan Matthews.

Bizzare stuff from Matthews that he never rated Conan.

Two nil win for Wexford tonight. In the driving seat although there is still ninety minutes to go in United Park on Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

I thought that the droggies would have too much for Wexford. Wexford were looking very poor towards the end of the season. It looks like the decision to rest players on Friday was the right one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Drogheda hit the post twice early on. That would have been the end of it. They passed crisply and I feared the worst. However, Youths controlled the 2nd half and 2 cracking goals give us the advantage. Job far from done though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Once we knocked the tempo out of the game and held possession we were fine. Think we'll be fine in the second leg, we'll have a better idea of what to expect from guys like Wixted, who really threw us for a loop early on. Thornton, Hyland and Purdy were non-existent, and Griffin didn't achieve anything after the first 15 minutes or so.

Rovers know how to spend money.

After spending their Europa League windfall in record time, they are making good progress on getting through the recent €1.5m "loan".

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/latest-news/4455-sporting-director-appointed

"Sporting director" no less.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

After spending their Europa League windfall in record time, they are making good progress on getting through the recent €1.5m "loan".

Keeping someone high profile like McPhail is good, the rest of that statement sounds like a Liverpoolesque "we're building for the future".

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

So the Rovers' board blows through their Europa League money and get criticised for it. Now they are handing off control of team matters to someone they think can make better decisions. Criticised again.

What would you like them to do exactly?

What would you like them to do exactly?

They doing perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

They doing perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. :D
    Giving out 52 week contracts as well :D
    I`m going to sit back and watch the show. It will get very interesting, very quickly.

I thought 52 weeks was mostly players choice ie the club offers them €xxx over 40 or 52 weeks, the players take the 40 as they can claim the dole for the other 12. Or have I got that wrong?

Rovers project of focusing on youth and having a bunch of ex pros like McPhail, Bradley & Duffer coaching them is an interesting one but I can't see it having any short term success, I know that the whole idea is to create long term success and not worry about short term but they were very poor this season and unless they strengthen considerably over the winter there are a number of teams in the league who will fancy finishing ahead of them. If Bradley is given the new managers job and they are say in 7th position next August and out of the cups/europe I can't see them giving him anymore time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

joeysoap wrote: »
    I thought 52 weeks was mostly players choice ie the club offers them €xxx over 40 or 52 weeks, the players take the 40 as they can claim the dole for the other 12. Or have I got that wrong?

If that doesn't deserve a "#greatestleagueintheworld" then I don't know what does!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Rovers project of focusing on youth and having a bunch of ex pros like McPhail, Bradley & Duffer coaching them is an interesting one but I can't see it having any short term success, I know that the whole idea is to create long term success and not worry about short term but they were very poor this season and unless they strengthen considerably over the winter there are a number of teams in the league who will fancy finishing ahead of them. If Bradley is given the new managers job and they are say in 7th position next August and out of the cups/europe I can't see them giving him anymore time.

It`s like something you`d do on football manager!

The coaching set up is a mess. There`s Sami Ristila and Bradley knocking around the first team. Then various retired Irish internationals getting their badges coaching the youth teams.

There needs to be a head put on it very quickly.

I don't think they are going to continue with a youth set up to the extent they have at the moment. They wouldn't be offering 52 week contracts if they weren't trying to attract senior pros.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

overshoot wrote: »
    Can a mod confirm this? I had a look through the charter and while it mentions abusing players as a warning offence, it says nothing about commenting on players criminal records.

On this one, the advice we've been given on this specific case is that it is ok to refer to it/mention it. It is not a bannable, deletable or cardable offence.

Obviously, due to the nature of the case, the discussion can fall quickly off-topic and fall under abuse which would still apply.

Akinade to Sligo deal has collapsed apparently.

Very negative reaction from the Sligo fans scuppered the deal. Cork looking at him to replace Maguire, if he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Akinade to Sligo deal has collapsed apparently.

Very negative reaction from the Sligo fans scuppered the deal. Cork looking at him to replace Maguire, if he goes.

Won't happen, rumour popped up on the CCFC Forum a few weeks back that we had agreed to sign him and there was war, fellas emailing the club and everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Andy Boyle and Daryl Horgan called up for the provisional Ireland squad for qualifier against Austria. Doubt Boyle will make the final cut but Horgan has a squeak if he keeps on doing what he's doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Lee Chin going to the GAA all star awards instead of playing in the relegation play-off according to Soccer Republic on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

howiya wrote: »
    Lee Chin going to the GAA all star awards instead of playing in the relegation play-off according to Soccer Republic on twitter
    Embarrassing for Wexford Youths,huge game again for them and a player they brought in 2 months ago clearly isint that committed.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Embarrassing for Wexford Youths,huge game again for them and a player they brought in 2 months ago clearly isint that committed.

Carry on like this can't continue. People will not take Wexford or the league seriously. 5 of their lads up and left for New Zealand a few weeks ago too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Carry on like this can't continue. People will not take Wexford or the league seriously. 5 of their lads up and left for New Zealand a few weeks ago too.

The cheek of them wanting to get work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wexford players have to treat Shane Keegan & the club with more respect.
    Players leaving through a critical stage of the season & now Lee Chin wants to go to an awards night instead lol.
    The players that left for New Zealand could have waited 2 months surely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement