Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

MD1990 wrote: »
    Wexford players have to treat Shane Keegan & the club with more respect.
    Players leaving through a critical stage of the season & now Lee Chin wants to go to an awards night instead lol.
    The players that left for New Zealand could have waited 2 months surely.

There is a reason they are in a play-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

or maybe they had job offers that required an immediate start.

I know what I'd have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

or maybe they had job offers that required an immediate start.

I know what I'd have done.
    According to the Southern United website, the five players will work in the community, promoting the game. Football battles with sports like rugby union, rugby league and cricket for popularity and participation numbers.
    "Three of the players are UEFA 'B' qualified coaches: Danny, Stephen and Conor. The other two have a coaching background along with high level strength and conditioning expertise. As such, we'll be putting them to work delivering programmes which we feel will work towards our strategic objectives and benefit Football in the region."

Doesn't sound like that immediate to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Doesn't sound like that immediate to me.

The first paragraph from your link

"We're excited to announce that Southern United senior team head-coach, Paul O'Reilly, has recruited a number of 'import' players that will play for the senior team this season."

Their season started a few weeks ago if you look at their fixtures

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

overshoot wrote: »

"We're excited to announce that Southern United senior team head-coach, Paul O'Reilly, has recruited a number of 'import' players that will play for the senior team this season."

Their just doing some coaching over their.

• Advertisement

They would have missed only 3 games from the start of the season looking at the fixture list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

wadacrack wrote: »

http://www.southernunited.co.nz/news/2016/10/31/weekend-review

howiya wrote: »
    I meant along with playing, that standard would be really poor.Much lower than Irish Premier

I meant along with playing, that standard would be really poor.Much lower than Irish Premier
    er really?
    They would have missed only 3 games from the start of the season looking at the fixture list.
    your paying players, would you as a coach accept players missing pre season and the first three games or go elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

dfx- wrote: »
    On this one, the advice we've been given on this specific case is that it is ok to refer to it/mention it. It is not a bannable, deletable or cardable offence.

Obviously, due to the nature of the case, the discussion can fall quickly off-topic and fall under abuse which would still apply.

Soo...can someone spill the beans on this one? All that's showing up when i google is a very racist forum.

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    Soo...can someone spill the beans on this one? All that's showing up when i google is a very racist forum.
    edit- just incase of legal definitions see the post below/my link... in fairness a look through the posts and it wasnt hard to put 2+2 together... think "womans life destroyed" was in one of the posts
    edit: seems he cant block the sex offenders articleon the court case or at least google threw it up for me

fullstop wrote: »

He was convicted of the "sexual assault and attempted defilement" of a 14 year old girl.

There are archived newspaper reports of the case. Perhaps the mods can confirm whether it is permissible to post links to them. Otherwise people will get inaccurate information from unreputable sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

He was convicted of the "sexual assault and attempted defilement" of a 14 year old girl.

When he was 16. Not defending it by any means, just giving the facts that he didn't do it as a 20-something year old. Still horrendous obviously though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Quote: wadacrack

er really?

Yes he's right. The League of Ireland is about 10 steps up. The one thing that's noticeable though is teams do try to play passing football and don't usually resort to hootball. Terrible players though compared to premier division players.

justshane wrote: »
    Quote: wadacrack
    Yes he's right. The League of Ireland is about 10 steps up. The one thing that's noticeable though is teams do try to play passing football and don't usually resort to hootball. Terrible players though compared to premier division players.
    the standard probably is below LOI, i was calling him on saying they were "just" coaches a few minutes before and the general what was the rush over...

the standard probably is below LOI, i was calling him on saying they were "just" coaches a few minutes before and the general what was the rush over...
    The standard is terrible. Their joining an amateur league, its just mainly coaching as their income id imagine as Southern United are not a professional outfit. NZ have a side that play in the A league in Australia fyi

Omackeral wrote: »
    When he was 16. Not defending it by any means, just giving the facts that he didn't do it as a 20-something year old. Still horrendous obviously though.

That is why I suggested providing links to newspaper reports. These cases are emotive and proper reporting of the facts are important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Delighted hear Cork fans were up in arms about potential move

In this day and age no excuse for what he done no matter how young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Embarrassing for Wexford Youths,huge game again for them and a player they brought in 2 months ago clearly isint that committed.

We knew GAA was his priority, he wouldn't join us til he was finished with it. There's nothing surprising here..

We knew GAA was his priority, he wouldn't join us til he was finished with it. There's nothing surprising here..
    in fairness, one thing leaving to play... another skipping a massive game for an awards ceremony he hasnt a hope in hell of getting something in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He is not going get a award anyway, surely he would rather play match then watch others ein awards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Wexford players have to treat Shane Keegan & the club with more respect.
    Players leaving through a critical stage of the season & now Lee Chin wants to go to an awards night instead lol.

Let's just put a few things in to perspective here. Wexford Youths are a relatively new club and we're trying to live within our means. Something we should, in my opinion, be given more credit for than we are.

The consequences of being an amateur club means that we don't have full control over the service of players. In recent years, we forged a great relationship with Carlow IT, which meant that we had access to their best players and had use of their facilities and coaching staff. The head coach there went to manage Southern United in New Zealand and immediately offered contracts to 5 of his former players. It was unforeseen, unwanted and couldn't be rebuffed by Wexford Youths.

As for Lee Chin not being available this Friday because of the Gah thing, I'm not happy about that for obvious reasons, but I fully accept his decision and thank him for his services so far. You have no idea what a Gah hero he is down here and for him to offer to play for us broke down a lot of barriers in the county. I know for a fact that he was put under a lot of pressure from the powers that be not to even walk in the gates of Ferrycarrig Park, so to play for us shows the mark of the man

Last year, we had the same problem with Paul Cahillane from Laois. When he signed, an agreement was reached on which LOI matches he would play and which Gah matches he would play. Not ideal, but there you go.

Other players left us during the year because they were not getting regular game time. That's easier to take if you are getting a few bob at the same time. We don't have that luxury. Our best prospect, Ryan Delaney signed for Burton Albion and we could only wish him the very best of luck with that

Personally, this season has shown me that competing at the highest level on an amateur basis is not really achievable. However, we've learnt a lot and, hopefully, we can address these issues going forward. What can you do when you have a midweek away game against a top team and some of your players can't get the time off from the day job? We've always had a revolving door policy on players and I thank them all (except 1 cnut) for taking the time and dedication to play for us

Forza Youths

Let's just put a few things in to perspective here. Wexford Youths are a relatively new club and we're trying to live within our means. Something we should, in my opinion, be given more credit for than we are.

The consequences of being an amateur club means that we don't have full control over the service of players. In recent years, we forged a great relationship with Carlow IT, which meant that we had access to their best players and had use of their facilities and coaching staff. The head coach there went to manage Southern United in New Zealand and immediately offered contracts to 5 of his former players. It was unforeseen, unwanted and couldn't be rebuffed by Wexford Youths.

As for Lee Chin not being available this Friday because of the Gah thing, I'm not happy about that for obvious reasons, but I fully accept his decision and thank him for his services so far. You have no idea what a Gah hero he is down here and for him to offer to play for us broke down a lot of barriers in the county. I know for a fact that he was put under a lot of pressure from the powers that be not to even walk in the gates of Ferrycarrig Park, so to play for us shows the mark of the man

Last year, we had the same problem with Paul Cahillane from Laois. When he signed, an agreement was reached on which LOI matches he would play and which Gah matches he would play. Not ideal, but there you go.

Other players left us during the year because they were not getting regular game time. That's easier to take if you are getting a few bob at the same time. We don't have that luxury. Our best prospect, Ryan Delaney signed for Burton Albion and we could only wish him the very best of luck with that

Personally, this season has shown me that competing at the highest level on an amateur basis is not really achievable. However, we've learnt a lot and, hopefully, we can address these issues going forward. What can you do when you have a midweek away game against a top team and some of your players can't get the time off from the day job? We've always had a revolving door policy on players and I thank them all (except 1 cnut) for taking the time and dedication to play for us

Forza Youths
    Everything you said just highlights more that the players who left for NZ really should have considered staying since the club is amateur & struggle to sign players.

Leaving at the end of the season would be perfectly understandable but leaving 2 months while in a relegation battle to play in a poor league surprised me. I know they had job offers too but waiting 2 months is not much to ask.

Shane Keegan deserves huge credit if Wexford stay up even though the playing style could improve.

Everything you said just highlights more that the players who left for NZ really should have considered staying since the club is amateur & struggle to sign players.

Leaving at the end of the season would be perfectly understandable but leaving 2 months while in a relegation battle to play in a poor league surprised me. I know they had job offers too but waiting 2 months is not much to ask.

Shane Keegan deserves huge credit if Wexford stay up even though the playing style could improve.

So you're saying that if someone offered you gainful employment doing a job you love, with foreign travel thrown in, you would refuse it??????

Nonsense

Personally, this season has shown me that competing at the highest level on an amateur basis is not really achievable.

Its all well a good to be an amateur in the GAA, where they play the same number of games in a year as top LOI clubs play in three weeks.

Its just not possible in the premier division. It will be a big task for Wexford to address this problem, if they stay up.

Its all well a good to be an amateur in the GAA, where they play the same number of games in a year as top LOI clubs play in three weeks.

Its just not possible in the premier division. It will be a big task for Wexford to address this problem, if they stay up.

It's not that money will necessarily get you better players. I know Shane Keegan would have loved being able to train and coach the exact same squad that we had on a daily basis. There is not enough time training twice a week to set up for playing Dundalk on the Friday and then Cork etc. on the Monday. Different opposition require different set ups

So you're saying that if someone offered you gainful employment doing a job you love, with foreign travel thrown in, you would refuse it??????

Nonsense
    Yes I would refuse it & say I can start in 2 months time if that was possible.
    I wouldn't feel right leaving a club at such a critical point in the season. I would be confident similar opportunites would be available in the future & would be happy to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I wouldn't feel right leaving a club at such a critical point in the season. I would be confident similar opportunites would be available in the future & would be happy to wait.

Of course you would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

You clearly have no idea how many games the average GAA player plays in a year, there's more to the GAA than intercounty you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Nonsense
    This is all well and good to say, but I don't believe it to be true. Maybe it is and you're different to me, I don't know you so I can't comment properly. But either way it's a lot easier to say in a hypothetical situation, than it is to say when you're person who is actually getting offered to be paid doing the job you've been doing for free, in a location that many young people view as a dream life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Nonsense. My own club in Dundalk played 6 Winter League Games, 11 League Games and 3 Championship games and never made it to the knockout stages of any of the tournaments. 20 Games

For example Sean O Mahonys won the GAA championship in Louth, played 8 Winter League Games (got to semi final), 12 league games (semi Final) 5 Championship games, 1 Leinster game so far with at least 1 more to go. 26 Games with at least 1 to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I`m delighted for Wexford. Hopefully they can finish off the job.

Drogheda have had 40 odd years to fix up their ground and they decided to plow their money into the first team with no ground improvements.
    Just to think about the wages they were throwing out a few years ago and their toilets aren't fit for human use now would make you sick.

Wexford might be light on facilities but their club house is like something you`d see in the EPL. Hopefully they can continue to improve and grow their club.

Nonsense. My own club in Dundalk played 6 Winter League Games, 11 League Games and 3 Championship games and never made it to the knockout stages of any of the tournaments. 20 Games

For example Sean O Mahonys won the GAA championship in Louth, played 8 Winter League Games (got to semi final), 12 league games (semi Final) 5 Championship games, 1 Leinster game so far with at least 1 more to go. 26 Games with at least 1 to go

Talking about top level GAA, county teams.

O Mahonys have a Louth player or 2 who would have played all Champ Games, 8 of league games with club plus 3 inter county O Byrne cup games, 7 league games and 3 champ games wth Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Any player playing top level for his county also plays for their club you know, they don't just show up for 5 games a year and go on the piss for the rest of the year.

• Advertisement

O Mahonys have a Louth player or 2 who would have played all Champ Games, 8 of league games with club plus 3 inter county O Byrne cup games, 7 league games and 3 champ games wth Louth

Wexford Youths play 40 games a year in all competitions. Games in the evening, the length and breath of the country. They have to get their players to commit to being available for all those games.

Louth GAA play what? 10 or so games a year? All on a Saturday or Sunday too.

Bring an an amateur inter country player is a doddle compared to being an amateur in the LOI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ah Jaysus, not a Gaels man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Wexford Youths play 40 games a year in all competitions. Games in the evening, the length and breath of the country. They have to get their players to commit to being available for all those games.

Louth GAA play what? 10 or so games a year? All on a Saturday or Sunday too.

Bring an an amateur inter country player is a doddle compared to being an amateur in the LOI.

Not a valid comparison, as the inter county players also play for their clubs, and sometimes their colleges, along with underage teams at times. They could easily play 40 games a year

Still though, its a tedious argument, both LOI and inter-county players have to put in a huge commitment with little reward

Ah Jaysus, not a Gaels man?

Considering the Gaels made the semi finals of the Champ, No not the Gaels

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City did themselves proud tonight. Conceeded a soft goal but got it back to 1-1 at ht and we missed a pen 10 mins into the second half. A deflected cross put Roma 2-1 up in 86th min and they tacked on a third in injury time.

Just over 3,000 at it.

• Advertisement

Cork City u19's put on an astonishing display tonight(deserved at least a draw, some excellent individual displays). Food for thought about how we would be better developing players in our domestic underage set up rather than England. 3 or 4 of that Roma side has appeared in their first team squad. Their striker is regarded as a huge prospect. The underage set up with u17 and u19 and soon u15 would seem to be the right step forward. Probably could do with a reserve./u23 league to bridge the gap to senior.

Forza Youths

Embarrassing for the top tier of Irish football but you have to commend Shane Keegan for the job he done. But Wexford need to try get a long term strategic plan or maybe the interest is not really their.

Cork City u19's put on an astonishing display tonight(deserved at least a draw, some excellent individual displays). Food for thought about how we would be better developing players in our domestic underage set up rather than England. 3 or 4 of that Roma side has appeared in their first team squad. Their striker is regarded as a huge prospect. The underage set up with u17 and u19 and soon u15 would seem to be the right step forward. Probably could do with a reserve./u23 league to bridge the gap to senior.
    Fair play to them.

U13 league should be the priority. Get the youth pathway fully set up first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

maybe the interest is not really their.

It takes an awful lot of work from a lot of people to keep a club running. Don't know quite how you can suggest that "the interest is not really their". We've achieved a lot in 9 years in a county with no history of LOI football, we have tonnes to improve upon, with very limited means to do it, but there's a large of people working on it week in week out. It's not bloody easy.

maybe the interest is not really their.

Waterford and Athlone finished this season with lower average attendances than Cabinteely. Yet people will say they have "potential" while completely dismissing a well run Premier Division club like Wexford Youths.
    #GreatestLeagueInTheWorld

It takes an awful lot of work from a lot of people to keep a club running. Don't know quite how you can suggest that "the interest is not really their". We've achieved a lot in 9 years in a county with no history of LOI football, we have tonnes to improve upon, with very limited means to do it, but there's a large of people working on it week in week out. It's not bloody easy.
    Poor crowds

Waterford and Athlone finished this season with lower average attendances than Cabinteely. Yet people will say they have "potential" while completely dismissing a well run Premier Division club like Wexford Youths.
    #GreatestLeagueInTheWorld
    Waterford have some very good young players in Dean Walsh & Eoin Wall.
    Set to be an announcement on a takeover tomorow too. Waterford have a good underage structure as well & an excellent stadium.
    Definitely potential there to get promoted next season depending on investment & what players are signed.

Waterford have some very good young players in Dean Walsh & Eoin Wall.
    Set to be an announcement on a takeover tomorow too. Waterford have a good underage structure as well & an excellent stadium.
    Definitely potential there to get promoted next season depending on investment & what players are signed.

Are you aware of the fella that is taking over?
    If the rumours are true he`s an utter cowboy and will bury Waterford.

Poor crowds
    Have a read of that:
    http://extratime.ie/articles/17868/league-of-ireland-attendances-2016---the-final-story/

If poor crowds is the critea shag all clubs will survive the chop.

Are you aware of the fella that is taking over?
    If the rumours are true he`s an utter cowboy and will bury Waterford.
    Lee Power is who is being reported.
    Hopefully it goes well. What makes you say he is a cowboy? Don't know much about him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement