Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

MD1990 wrote: »
    Lee Power is who is being reported.
    Hopefully it goes well. What makes you say he is a cowboy? Don't know much about him.

He is intensely disliked by Swindon Town fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Have a read of that:
    http://extratime.ie/articles/17868/league-of-ireland-attendances-2016---the-final-story/

If poor crowds is the critea shag all clubs will survive the chop.
    Wexford first ever year in the Premier yet still have the 2nd lowest support does not look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

wadacrack wrote: »
    Wexford first ever year in the Premier yet still have the 2nd lowest support does not look good.

Location of ground would be a major issue in my eyes. been there 2 times, it's only accessible by car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Have a read of that:
    http://extratime.ie/articles/17868/league-of-ireland-attendances-2016---the-final-story/

If poor crowds is the critea shag all clubs will survive the chop.

So Cork's crowd for their U19s tonight was their third biggest crowd of the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

It has to be my biggest disappointment this season that the Wexford public haven't come out to watch the Youths. Yet in any workplace, bar or shop, the discussion always comes around to "soccer". We wouldn't be unusual in that regard, but there are many obstacles in our path

Location - The NRA refused access off the N11, hence the scenic route
    Facilities - Things like toilets were not good enough. Lots of progress made this year
    Mick Wallace - He's like Marmite in Wexford. You either love him or you hate him
    GAA -They SERIOUSLY don't like us and sneer at anyone who shows an interest, which affects sponsorship
    Local Clubs - Thankfully, the relationship is much improved in recent years
    Tickets - After years of €10 admission and free entry for kids U12, people thought the new prices were steep

There are many good people working behind the scenes to ensure our future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Location of ground would be a major issue in my eyes. been there 2 times, it's only accessible by car

Access to it is poxy too, miles down a winding country road. I don't know how team buses get down it. Direct entrance off the N11 is needed badly, any plans for that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

howiya wrote: »
    So Cork's crowd for their U19s tonight was their third biggest crowd of the year?

Outside of cup/European games, probably yeah. Great for so many fans to come out and support the local u19 team.

I reckon they got about the 10th highest attendance if you were to compare Every single league of Ireland game played this season. Quite staggering really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

It is very hard to establish a new club in the LOI.

If you look at tables going back over 50 years, you'll see very few new clubs who have established themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Wexford Youths have been a great addition to the LOI. I was delighted they got promoted last year and will be even more delighted if they manage to beat Drogs and stay up. They show that a small club, with lots of obstacles to overcome, can be relatively successful if they are run in the right way.

I also enjoy the trip to Ferrycarrig Park, it's a bit like going on a mystery tour :D

• Advertisement

I also enjoy the trip to Ferrycarrig Park, it's a bit like going on a mystery tour :D

Ah, some lads following Dublin clubs just get in to a mild panic when they see shiny sparkles in the night sky.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Waterford have some very good young players in Dean Walsh & Eoin Wall.
    Set to be an announcement on a takeover tomorow too. Waterford have a good underage structure as well & an excellent stadium.
    Definitely potential there to get promoted next season depending on investment & what players are signed.

"Waterford United Football Club can confirm that negotiations are taking place with a overseas individual regarding a takeover of the club.

As negotiations are ongoing the club will be making no further comment at this point."

Bit of an anticlimax there.

The key point about Wexford is potential league entrants are watching how they get on. It's very important they don't implode or else kiss goodbye to Mayo, Kerry or Tipperary teams in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

In fairness I think Wexford have been a decent addition to the Premier Division this season. Certainly they have some decent players and Ryan Delaney left them for Burton Albion in the Summer so they can produce good quality players. It can't be easy for them to survive with the low attendences. The five players leaving them in October was certainly a low point though and hopefully that won't happen again.

Also thanks for the nine points this season. :D

Who would people like to see join the LOI? What possibilities are there?

A Kerry LOI team would be great I think. Tralee Dynamos were in the old A Championship and would be a welcome addition from me. I usually hear Castlebar Celtic mentioned too when this pops up. Carlow, Mullingar? Anything decent in Navan or Portlaoise, two big towns. Monaghan and Kilkenny I guess could be options again knowing this country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Tipperary? Carrick United?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Like much of Limerick, Tipp only has an appetite for junior football, Im not sure a LOI side would be supported.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Who would people like to see join the LOI? What possibilities are there?

A Kerry LOI team would be great I think. Tralee Dynamos were in the old A Championship and would be a welcome addition from me. I usually hear Castlebar Celtic mentioned too when this pops up. Carlow, Mullingar? Anything decent in Navan or Portlaoise, two big towns. Monaghan and Kilkenny I guess could be options again knowing this country!

Kerry and Monaghan could be possibilites in a few years time, Kerry in particular I feel. Both already have teams in the under-17 and I'm reasonably certain Kerry will have a under-19 team in the next 2 to 3 seasons. Kilkenny is unlikely for a long while I reckon although a Women's team has been in the Women's National League for the last two seasons.

Hopefully the setting up of the Under-15 league will encourage more teams from different counties to enter and possibly move up the age groups into senior football.

Tipperary? Carrick United?

a big Tipp contingent on the team from the Tipp side of town, and hinterlands but the club itself is based on the 'Carrickbeg'/Waterford side of the Suir. Tiny tiny ground

I started a standalone thread if anyone wants to comment there. Might get a few outside opinions from non LOI fans or dormant ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Good.

sidcon wrote: »
    Akinade has signed for 2017 season with Bohs again

In other words, no one else would touch him with a barge pole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Ipswich in for Andy Boyle according to an article I've just read. They also call him a newly capped international though so not sure how much you can trust it.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/ipswich-town-considering-free-transfer-for-international-centre-back/?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Ipswich in for Andy Boyle according to an article I've just read. They also call him a newly capped international though so not sure how much you can trust it.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/ipswich-town-considering-free-transfer-for-international-centre-back/?

Thought he signed a contract a while back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Oat23 wrote: »

Delighted none the less.

Thought he signed a contract a while back?

Don't think Dundalk will get a cent for Massey, Horgan or Boyle. Shame, but that's the way it is now. I admire Derry City for signing longer term contracts but you cannot but wish these three lads the best of luck wherever they end up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

dan1895 wrote: »
    Delighted none the less.

What did you want Bohs to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

major bill wrote: »
    What did you want Bohs to say?

"Akinade re-signs with the club for another year"

(Because no one else wats him near their club)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Shane Keegan to Galway United

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

Shane Keegan to Galway United

Been rumoured before. Hopefully not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Official announcement due next Monday.

What can he do at Wexford? Keegan has learned that progressing as an amateur side is just not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

dan1895 wrote: »
    "Akinade re-signs with the club for another year"

(Because no one else wats him near their club)

it's Irrelevant what others think, club are delighted he signed get over it

Baffling that Galway are unhappy with Shane Keegan potentially taking over, he has done a tremendous job at Wexford Youths under extremely limited resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Baffling that Galway are unhappy with Shane Keegan potentially taking over, he has done a tremendous job at Wexford Youths under extremely limited resources.
    Where have you seen Galway United fans unhappy? I for one am very happy with the appointment if it comes to fruition. There are probably a few who wanted Glynn to take over but it's a full time role and his job situation doesn't allow for that.

Official announcement due next Monday.

I spoke to the Youths Club Secretary who says it's news to him!

Obviously 100% true then :(

Shane Keegan is probably the most passionate football man I've encountered in LOI and is hugely ambitious. He has all his badges and knows about EVERY player in the league. He puts a lot of store in the sports science aspect of the game and surrounds himself with the best people. He travels to every possible game he can studying opposition and he's never off the road.

He told me that the biggest regret he has with the Youths is that he was not able to train with the players on a full time basis, so this is obviously his motivation. Not happy with the timing, but I expected it before next season. Not only is he our team manager, he is the Commercial Manager at the club and the fact the people of Wexford failed to get behind us this year, has had an impact on his salary

Gutted that he is going, but we would have collapsed 4 years ago without him. He will forever be one of the true legends of our wee club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

heard he announced it to the squad this morning... strange timing. Seeing as Galway fans posted here first im guessing it was leaking out and was trying to head it off?

• Advertisement

overshoot wrote: »
    heard he announced it to the squad this morning... strange timing. Seeing as Galway fans posted here first im guessing it was leaking out and was trying to head it off?

That is correct. He was left with no option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Hearing a few Dundalk rumours. Plenty of changes from what I'm hearing so a bit of a rebuilding job in store for Kenny

Gannon pushing hard for a UK club and will leave Dundalk at the end of the season. Niclas Vemmelund will be signed to replace him.

John Mountney to Sligo Rovers

Darren Meenan to Shamrock Rovers

Dylan Connolly in from Bray

Boyle to the UK. Ipswich are very keen on him.

Slight chance that Horgan will actually stay but it'll take a big contract to keep him. He is settled in the town with a young family and just bought a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

doncarlos wrote: »
    Hearing a few Dundalk rumours. Plenty of changes from what I'm hearing so a bit of a rebuilding job in store for Kenny

Gannon pushing hard for a UK club and will leave Dundalk at the end of the season. Niclas Vemmelund will be signed to replace him.

John Mountney to Sligo Rovers

Darren Meenan to Shamrock Rovers

Dylan Connolly in from Bray

Boyle to the UK. Ipswich are very keen on him.

Slight chance that Horgan will actually stay but it'll take a big contract to keep him. He is settled in the town with a young family and just bought a house.
    Mountney is a wide midfielder no? We have Sadlier and Kearns signed already.

Mountney wanted to sign for us before he signed for Dundalk, we ignored him and he went there. Hes since won everything in the domestic game while we've done **** all.

Ah, the rumours, love them as most turn out to be just that rumours.

Ones I heard

Stephen O'Donnell to Galway, Meenan to Rovers, Barrett to Cork, Connolly in from Bray, Fagan in from Sligo.

Curiosity: If Dundalk asked, would anybody say no or would they weigh up the pros and cons ie not necessarily first team every week. Possibility of a decent bonus if they get a run in Europe.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

joeysoap wrote: »
    Ah, the rumours, love them as most turn out to be just that rumours.

Ones I heard

Stephen O'Donnell to Galway, Meenan to Rovers, Barrett to Cork, Connolly in from Bray, Fagan in from Sligo.

Curiosity: If Dundalk asked, would anybody say no or would they weigh up the pros and cons ie not necessarily first team every week. Possibility of a decent bonus if they get a run in Europe.

I reckon Sean Maguire's probably still kicking himself at that!

Not to worry, all the focus will be on us next season when we qualify for the Europa League group stage.

:pac:

2-0 for Drogheda in the 2nd leg of the playoff with about 20 minutes left.

• Advertisement

kksaints wrote: »
    2-0 for Drogheda in the 2nd leg of the playoff with about 20 minutes left.

I hope Drogheda go on to win the tie.

I was hoping for Wexford to stay up but the Chin lad bailing out for a GAA chicken supper and the manager legging it to Galway before the play-off put me off them.

The league can so without such embarrassing amateurish stuff.

3-0 Drogheda. Im very disappointed for Wexford, Shane Keegan set to leave now aswell. It seems harsh aswell on the balance of play. Drogheda have some good young players tho

3-0 for Drogs now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I hope Drogheda go on to win the tie.

I was hoping for Wexford to stay up but the Chin lad bailing out for a GAA chicken supper and the manager legging it to Galway before the play-off put me off them.

The league can so without such embarrassing amateurish stuff.

Amateur stuff like a few of the panel jumping ship during the season to play ball in NZ?

Two sides to every story.

bit of controversy

Drogheda United F.C. ‏@DroghedaUnited 3m3 minutes ago

83' Wexford have a goal disallowed after McGuinness is fouled . Inexplicably, ref appeared to give it initially. Astonishing. 3-0

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement