Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Full Time. Drogheda have overturned a two goal deficit and are now back in the premier division after a 3-0 win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Maybe if Wexford's players had bothered showing up..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Maybe if Wexford's players had bothered showing up..

Were you at it?

Were you at it?
    No I was at the GAA awards night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Do not know how Wexford did not stay up.
    They missed so many chances. In the last minute a Wexford player rounded the keeper & somehow the shot was blocked on the line.
    Drogheda certaintly had the luck & dubious penalty as well. Feel sorry for Wexford I thought they were the better team on the night despite to scoreline.
    Drogheda will get destroyed in the Premier with the team they have now but I expect they will try & sign quite a few players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Jesus that's an awful long winded article,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

wadacrack wrote: »

Didnt get that impression at all, I think he explained his situation its obvious Hurling is his life, Slaggings aside I think the abuse he is getting is a bit over the top imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

major bill wrote: »
    Didnt get that impression at all, I think he explained his situation its obvious Hurling is his life, Slaggings aside I think the abuse he is getting is a bit over the top imo.
    Their are some players who would love to play premier division football and then u have this ""If I had gotten injured in any of those soccer games or any of those training sessions with Wexford Youths, I'd probably never have forgiven myself."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

major bill wrote: »
    If he had a hurling match that would be understandable.
    But a GAA dinner when he had by all accounts no chance of picking up an all star is a disgraceful excuse. It was probably a mistake to ask someone who has no real interest in football to play but to miss playing just one more game the most important in Wexford Youths history for an awards dinner is surely something he regrets now.
    He has let down Wexford Youths tonight. I feel sorry for the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I actually thought the actual writer was a bit more disrespectful barely seeing anything but one side of it. As with most things online, criticism has been over the top, but I can't ever look too highly on a sportsman skipping a professional match for an awards ceremony. His excuse of his injury doesn't hold water either imo. He was good enough to be asked to play in the first place so despite his admitted lack of love for football, he still knows pretty well how to play the game, technically and physically. If he didn't want to get injured he shouldn't have agreed to do it, he wasn't forced into it.

Their are some players who would love to play premier division football and then u have this ""If I had gotten injured in any of those soccer games or any of those training sessions with Wexford Youths, I'd probably never have forgiven myself."

He clearly doesn't, I am sure he wasnt expecting Wexford to be involved in a match on the night of the awards but that's his first love. His biggest mistake was getting involved in the first place.

The injury comment was a silly comment!!

joeysoap wrote: »
    Ah, the rumours, love them as most turn out to be just that rumours.

Ones I heard

Stephen O'Donnell to Galway, Meenan to Rovers, Barrett to Cork, Connolly in from Bray, Fagan in from Sligo.

Curiosity: If Dundalk asked, would anybody say no or would they weigh up the pros and cons ie not necessarily first team every week. Possibility of a decent bonus if they get a run in Europe.
    Tony is getting on a wee bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Two of the best matches in Oriel this year: Wexford and Longford.
    Wexford match: Wexford twice took the lead. Dundalk winner well into injury time. Cracking match finished 3 - 2. (I can still hear Mick Wallace cheering Youths)
    Longford match: Different in that Dundalk took the lead 3 times and each time Longford came back to equalise. Dundalk winner well into injury time. Cracking match finished 4 - 3 before Dundalk's smallest attendance of the year (1,919)

Those 4 points were the crucial difference between Dundalk and City near the end of the season.

Last year I wished Limerick a speedy return to the premier and I now wish both of these clubs the same. I would fear for both though.

3 Derby matches for both City and the Town next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Tony is getting on a wee bit.

:):):)

Probably pushing it a bit alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Lee Chin's captured the imagination but trust me, blame lies elsewhere. He put in a fantastic shift for every single game he had pre-agreed to play. Same cannot be said for some others.

Congratulations to Drogs, fully deserved based on tonight's performance. No begrudgery at all, best of luck to them, especially Wexford's Liam Donnelly :)

Feeling sorry for myself tonight, tomorrow onwards I'll be putting my efforts behind the women's club for the next few months. Fingers crossed for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

MD1990 wrote: »
    Do not know how Wexford did not stay up.
    They missed so many chances. In the last minute a Wexford player rounded the keeper & somehow the shot was blocked on the line.
    Drogheda certaintly had the luck & dubious penalty as well. Feel sorry for Wexford I thought they were the better team on the night despite to scoreline.
    Drogheda will get destroyed in the Premier with the team they have now but I expect they will try & sign quite a few players.

Nothing lucky about a 3 nil win. In the first half Drogheda had McCaffreys header cleared off the line and the same player missed a gilt edged chance. Wexford keeper also saved a Griffin one on one in second half. Drogs hit the post 3 times in Wexford on Monday too.

There was no football in Wexford either. All they did was hoof the ball long all night to Murphy and Furlong. Cobh played more football last week.

The best team won and deserved to go up notwithstanding the incredible miss at the end. Two of Wexford's players, Murphy and No 25, are badly out of condition for football at this level which didn't help them.

Great spirit, heart and determination from a young Drogheda side. A deserved, not lucky, promotion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

No point in discussing the match, what's done is done. However, I just want to say that the reason we will be playing 1st Division football has NOTHING to do with Lee Chin. The lad agreed to help us out for a few games and for that I thank him. Bottom line is we were not up to the standard required when it was needed and that's just the way it is. It has nothing to do with the fantastic effort put in by all concerned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

PGE1970 wrote: »
    notwithstanding the incredible miss at the end.
    I think he was trying to walk the ball into the net. When he went round McGuinness I was mentally set for extra time. Couldn't believe when he took another couple of steps and allowed Farragher to get back.

The Wexford disallowed goal was even more bizarre, everyone was getting ready for the free out, took a few seconds for Wexford to start celebrating. It's a sad reflection of LOI refereeing standards when a linesman has to tel a ref that he got a decision horribly wrong even though the ref had a better view of it.

Fair play to the Wexford fans - plenty turned up, at least 250 there on a Friday evening with the M50 to navigate.

Dundalk must be ****ting themselves :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

No point in discussing the match, what's done is done. However, I just want to say that the reason we will be playing 1st Division football has NOTHING to do with Lee Chin. The lad agreed to help us out for a few games and for that I thank him. Bottom line is we were not up to the standard required when it was needed and that's just the way it is. It has nothing to do with the fantastic effort put in by all concerned

The reason you will be playing first division football is exemplified by you having to go cap in hand to a GAH player to play a few games for you.

The fact that he viewed a p1ss up at someone else's awards bash as more important than your most important game of the season adds insult to injury.

Well done to Mick Wallace and Wexford Youth on making sure that LOI continues to be viewed as a joke.

The reason you will be playing first division football is exemplified by you having to go cap in hand to a GAH player to play a few games for you.

The fact that he viewed a p1ss up at someone else's awards bash as more important than your most important game of the season adds insult to injury.

Well done to Mick Wallace and Wexford Youth on making sure that LOI continues to be viewed as a joke.

There's nobody more arrogant than someone who once had the ares out of their trousers coming in to new money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Wexford have lived within their means, something a lot of clubs have failed to do and folded. This makes a bigger joke of our league imo.

Anyway would a Dundalk person prefer the premier teams to be decided by off field matters as it was previously?

overshoot wrote: »
    Wexford have lived within their means, something a lot of clubs have failed to do and folded. This makes a bigger joke of our league imo.

Anyway would a Dundalk person prefer the premier teams to be decided by off field matters as it was previously?

I'm all for clubs living within their means.

Did Wexford have to go cap in hand to a GAH player to "tog out"? Are there no junior football players in Wexford who they could ask?

They went for the media hype. It was a stroke and it blew up in their faces and make a joke of the league.

If you can't see that.....

• Advertisement

I'm all for clubs living within their means.

Did Wexford have to go cap in hand to a GAH player to "tog out"? Are there no junior football players in Wexford who they could ask?

They went for the media hype. It was a stroke and it blew up in their faces and make a joke of the league.

If you can't see that.....

We lost 5 players in 1 week who went off to New Zealand. Lee had LOI experience with Waterford United and was asked to play short term. What's your problem, as if it has anything to do with anybody outside WYFC?, The same club BTW, who ran a free bus to the Aviva for anybody who wanted to support our league champions in Europe

We lost 5 players in 1 week who went off to New Zealand. Lee had LOI experience with Waterford United and was asked to play short term. What's your problem, as if it has anything to do with anybody outside WYFC?, The same club BTW, who ran a free bus to the Aviva for anybody who wanted to support our league champions in Europe

Maybe I'm being too grumpy about this and also insensitive towards Youths fans today. You must be hurting as I'm sure you thought the job was almost done after Monday. I know I did.

It really p1ssed me off to see a player blowing off a big game for an awards do. It makes our league look small.

I hope Youths bounce back. I enjoyed our games this season and we were blessed in all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I don't see how signing a player subject to certain terms - namely, that he might not be available for some games - is going "cap in hand". Plenty of clubs have these kinds of agreements with some of their players. I'd say it's probably a majority of the 20, given most of the league is part-time/amateur. I doubt it's unheard of in all the hundreds/thousands of other part-time/amateur leagues in the world. When City had a bit less money a few years ago, we had an agreement with Dan Murray for a year that he only had to be available for home matches. He was only part-time and had another full-time job that dictated that he just couldn't travel to away games. If this weren't part of the contract, he simply wouldn't have signed. It was a deal breaker. I don't see what's wrong with that. In normal employment, part-time workers can't be available for every single shift that would be expected of a full-timer. What's the difference?

Lee Chin's situation isn't exactly the same, because it wasn't gainful employment that got in the way. But it was a pre-existing obligation (possibly contractual in nature, just like a job is). So, the principle is the same. Bear in mind he was also signed as an amateur. So, there should be even less onus on him than a part-timer. For a club, isn't it better to sign a good player who can offer some value for some games than be another man short for every game?

And it doesn't make our league look small. In a week's time, barely anyone will remember this, let alone actually give a sh*te. It will have absolutely no effect on the other clubs. It won't have any long term effect on Wexford either. If they're challenging for promotion again next season, none of the locals are going to say "I was thinking of going to watch Wexford, but remember the Lee Chin incident last year? No way am I going now".

Complete storm in a teacup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I feel sorry for Wexford, but the Lee Chin situation is embarrassing for the league. This is the top tier of Irish football and I cant see this happening in any other country. Its farcical that a player would be missing for the reasons already discussed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Wexford acquitted themselves very well in their first season in the Prem. division and will bounce back. I think the five players that left was their undoing coupled with a couple of referee decisions and a managerial upheaval. The Le Chin thing is just a storm in a teacup that only seems to effect the supporters of other clubs.
    I'd say they'll be back quickly if they can get the right manager and dodge that bullet called 'Roddy'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I feel sorry for Wexford, but the Lee Chin situation is embarrassing for the league. This is the top tier of Irish football and I cant see this happening in any other country. Its farcical that a player would be missing for the reasons already discussed

Well seeing as a GAA player isn't likely to sign for a club in any other country then I guess your right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

Could care less what sport he plays to be honest, I have no real love or hate for GAA. Rugby fans would say the exact same that it'd be an issue only because of that. If Wexford fans don't think it was much of an issue that's there thing of course, I would guess a lot may be GAA fans anyway so won't be as hard on him. If those circumstances happened at my club or one that I had no connection to I'd still think it was a ridiculous situation should never have come about. I would hope that it would never happen again in this league to be honest, whatever way you look at it it's pretty embarrassing that a player can not play in such an important game because he had other things on and that he doesn't care much about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I like Wexford Youths and I do think the Lee Chin thing is farcical and makes the league look bad (and I know the irony of that seeing as my team refused to travel to a game) but I reckon the reporting of Shane Keegan departure on the morning of the match had a much more negative impact on their preparations.

Anyway, I'd have preferred Wexford to stay up but I'll enjoy the pasta next season, provided we actually travel to the game ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

Hard to see him smiling and holding another team's shirt 48 hours after relegation

shane-keegan-unveiled-2.png

A real kick in the genitals of Wexford Youths fans.

Couldn't they have waited a week or two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

If what I heard is true he'll have some serious coinage to build a squad, could be an interesting year ahead for Galway.

When Shane Keegan took over from Noel O'Connor, outsiders had no idea what a mess we were in. I went to training sessions where there was no manager, no coach and around 5 lads togged out taking pot shots on Packie Holden in goal. Everything about the club is now on a different level altogether and that's down to Shane & his team. I've had many chats with him and he is a very driven individual in his ambition to reach the top in management. The hours & miles he put in on behalf of the club was phononemal.

I like the man, don't always agree with his tactics or selections (3-0 down on Friday and he brings on 3 subs on the 86th minute) and I hope the passing of time will allow me put the unsavoury end to his tenure behind us. I don't think he went about this the right way, but there are 2 sides to every story and I'll wait to hear his

All the best Shane and thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

When Shane Keegan took over from Noel O'Connor, outsiders had no idea what a mess we were in. I went to training sessions where there was no manager, no coach and around 5 lads togged out taking pot shots on Packie Holden in goal. Everything about the club is now on a different level altogether and that's down to Shane & his team. I've had many chats with him and he is a very driven individual in his ambition to reach the top in management. The hours & miles he put in on behalf of the club was phononemal.

I like the man, don't always agree with his tactics or selections (3-0 down on Friday and he brings on 3 subs on the 86th minute) and I hope the passing of time will allow me put the unsavoury end to his tenure behind us. I don't think he went about this the right way, but there are 2 sides to every story and I'll wait to hear his

All the best Shane and thanks
    Very gracious of you.
    Patww79 wrote: »
    The constraints he was working under at Wexford Youths and the budget he will have at his disposal at Galway United is like night and day. Without being disparaging to Wexford, I'm sure they would admit it themselves, he has done an unbelievable job in getting them into the Premier Division on what is basically a mid table first division budget.

Very gracious of you.

Yeah, well I'm not feeling as gracious towards the cnut in Galway who thought it would be great craic to leak the news on the day of our playoff game. Zero class from somebody within the club ranks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Anyone seen pighead lads ?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MrMac84 wrote: »

Gloating over a lucky win against a very tired team is over-doing it.
    Dundalk have bigger fish to fry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Gloating over a lucky win against a very tired team is over-doing it.
    Dundalk have bigger fish to fry.

Sounding a bit bitter there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not a bit bitter but gloating about another poster who's team were very unlucky and jaded is a bit rich.

MrMac84 wrote: »

Congrats Cork, but 3 in a row for The Town. Which will be remembered the most I wonder by the greater number in years to come...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Bitter me hole. Dundalk fans didn't come on here gloating when we won the league for the last three seasons and the double last year.

He's right by the way we kicked off three nights ago at the same time the game ended, 4000km away there is no way that wasn't a factor. We still had enough possession to win the game and didn't convert so we only have ourselves to blame.

Enjoy the night Cork fans. You pushed us hard over last few years and deserve a night like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

doncarlos wrote: »
    Bitter me hole. Dundalk fans didn't come on here gloating when we won the league for the last three seasons and the double last year.

He's right by the way we kicked off three nights ago at the same time the game ended, 4000km away there is no way that wasn't a factor. We still had enough possession to win the game and didn't convert so we only have ourselves to blame.

Enjoy the night Cork fans. You pushed us hard over last few years and deserve a night like this.

You must have been somewhere else the night we lost to you last month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

You must have been somewhere else the night we lost to you last month.

I was in oriel drinking Harp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement