Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Congratulations to City. I thought we were the better team until we tired in the second half, I would have liked to have won, that goes without saying, but I also know that at any other time City could have won one of the last 3 leagues, you were unlucky in 2014 the way the fixtures fell. We had our chances but didn't take them, so while the goal may have been a little lucky, I congratulate City in their cup win today.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Unlucky Dundalk. You're certainly worthy opponents. The more the game went on all I was thinking was, "here we go, this is Gartland time." Especially when ye had a succession of corners.

It's a great way to win it but it equally a horrible way to lose it.

We needed that one though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Delighted with the win. I think we fully deserved it. Having lost it last year, it was an especially enjoyable win !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Delighted with the win. I think we fully deserved it. Having lost it last year, it was an especially enjoyable win !!!
    Didnt deserve it on the balance of play. But Cup final is alot about luck and Cork had it on the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Not a bit bitter but gloating about another poster who's team were very unlucky and jaded is a bit rich.

Ah stop ffs. If Dundalk won there'd be a big loaded paragraph ready and prepared :P, to be taken in jest I know of course, but to criticise it coming the other way, in jest also, for a change is what is rich.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Statement from Mick Wallace, Chairman of WYFC

http://wexfordyouthsfc.ie/latest-news/276-november-statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Yeah, well I'm not feeling as gracious towards the cnut in Galway who thought it would be great craic to leak the news on the day of our playoff game. Zero class from somebody within the club ranks

I heard over the weekend the leak came from someone involved in the Wexford Youths setup! More worrying if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Statement from Mick Wallace, Chairman of WYFC

http://wexfordyouthsfc.ie/latest-news/276-november-statement
    Is he looking to set up a Dail inquiry into the leak!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Maquire just got out of Gartland's pocket for a minute & he scored.

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    I heard over the weekend the leak came from someone involved in the Wexford Youths setup! More worrying if true

Well, if the Secretary and Chairman didn't know about it (fact), I doubt it is true

Having said that, nothing would surprise me with the LOI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Well, if the Secretary and Chairman didn't know about it (fact), I doubt it is true

Having said that, nothing would surprise me with the LOI
    Wallaces statement said Keegan had a contract for another year, surely they would have had to have known in order to release him from it?

overshoot wrote: »
    Wallaces statement said Keegan had a contract for another year, surely they would have had to have known in order to release him from it?

He had a 2 year contract as Commercial Manager of WYFC, I'm not sure if it included team manager. I don't see how they could be anything other than intertwined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just seeing that Sean Maguire's contract is up today with Cork. Reckon he'll be on the move to England.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Just seeing that Sean Maguire's contract is up today with Cork. Reckon he'll be on the move to England.
    I think hell stay. Didnt quite do enough against the big teams to get a championship move. Another year with Cork would be good for him still young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

wadacrack wrote: »
    I think hell stay. Didnt quite do enough against the big teams to get a championship move. Another year with Cork would be good for him still young
    Yeah, he obviously has something given he's scored 28 or 29 goals this season (albeit a good few of those from the penalty spot)but in the few glimpses I seen from him in a Dundalk shirt and the games between Cork and Dundalk he has been pretty quiet and non threatening whenever I've seen him play. The talk of moving back to England puzzles me unless we're talking conference or at a push league 2 level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Pighead wrote: »
    Yeah, he obviously has something given he's scored 28 or 29 goals this season (albeit a good few of those from the penalty spot)but in the few glimpses I seen from him in a Dundalk shirt and the games between Cork and Dundalk he has been pretty quiet and non threatening whenever I've seen him play. The talk of moving back to England puzzles me unless we're talking conference or at a push league 2 level.

He played very well in Sweden and Belgium. He never really showed it against Dundalk and I've haven't seen enough of Cork's league games to form an opinion on those.

Someone in league 1 or 2 may take a punt on him as he is young and cheap.

The question is how badly does he want to get back to England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/795649605463576576

Wow! Looks like the two boys made the squad. Thought Horgan had a chance but didn't think Boyle would get the nod. Delighted for the two of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Wow! Looks like the two boys made the squad. Thought Horgan had a chance but didn't think Boyle would get the nod. Delighted for the two of them.

Congrats to the lads if so

any idea when the squad is announced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

red sean wrote: »
    Is he looking to set up a Dail inquiry into the leak!

Must be hoping the "adequate compensation" will cover his debts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Corholio wrote: »
    Ah stop ffs. If Dundalk won there'd be a big loaded paragraph ready and prepared :P, to be taken in jest I know of course, but to criticise it coming the other way, in jest also, for a change is what is rich.

Are you psychic or what? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Think all players even those in the extended squad get a training kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

The FAI have retweeted the pic and included the headline squad announcement to follow shortly in their latest tweet

Patww79 wrote: »
    Strange one to tweet today and not at the time, though nothing would surprise me with the FAI.

Squad probably only met up today for the first time.

howiya wrote: »
    Must be hoping the "adequate compensation" will cover his debts

You know what, I'm not a huge fan of Mick, but rubbish like that will only make Wexford Youths stronger. Mick built Ferrycarrig Park in 2005 when he 'thought' he was worth in excess of €40m. He spent €6 on soil, grass seed, tarmac, bricks, slates, fencing etc. building a place where the talent of schoolboy football in Wexford could have a chance. He had been managing the youth team for years, changing in portacabins, borrowing pitches and winning All Ireland titles.

Today, Mick is chairman of Wexford Youths FC but his only footballing involvement is managing the U18s in the Wexford District League. He is as far from the football spectrum portrayed by John Delaney as is possible. I'm far from happy with his financial history and the man made the stupid mistake of being open about it. He is the brunt of the outcry from recession when, in real terms, he was only a bit player.

At the moment, everyone associated with Wexford Youths is hurting and many from the LOI 'family' are having a dig. Next year, we will ply our trade in the 1st Division, often referred as the graveyard, cess pit, etc. But do you know what, in every year bar the current one, we've welcomed Dundalk, Cork, Limerick & Galway and others who have since folded, as equals who have found themselves on hard times. Sometimes clubs forget their unfortunate past. You've been offered free parking, you come in to the warmth of our club house, Your players are offered a hot meal after the game and we thank you for coming.

Very shortly, this forum will be all about trying to get new clubs in to the league. However, you should respect the current ones giving it a go. Many, many thanks to posters who have spoken kind words on this thread

Two lads confirmed in the 28 man squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

What sport are the national team playing this week? 28 players :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

You know what, I'm not a huge fan of Mick, but rubbish like that will only make Wexford Youths stronger. Mick built Ferrycarrig Park in 2005 when he 'thought' he was worth in excess of €40m. He spent €6 on soil, grass seed, tarmac, bricks, slates, fencing etc. building a place where the talent of schoolboy football in Wexford could have a chance. He had been managing the youth team for years, changing in portacabins, borrowing pitches and winning All Ireland titles.

Today, Mick is chairman of Wexford Youths FC but his only footballing involvement is managing the U18s in the Wexford District League. He is as far from the football spectrum portrayed by John Delaney as is possible. I'm far from happy with his financial history and the man made the stupid mistake of being open about it. He is the brunt of the outcry from recession when, in real terms, he was only a bit player.

At the moment, everyone associated with Wexford Youths is hurting and many from the LOI 'family' are having a dig. Next year, we will ply our trade in the 1st Division, often referred as the graveyard, cess pit, etc. But do you know what, in every year bar the current one, we've welcomed Dundalk, Cork, Limerick & Galway and others who have since folded, as equals who have found themselves on hard times. Sometimes clubs forget their unfortunate past. You've been offered free parking, you come in to the warmth of our club house, Your players are offered a hot meal after the game and we thank you for coming.

Very shortly, this forum will be all about trying to get new clubs in to the league. However, you should respect the current ones giving it a go. Many, many thanks to posters who have spoken kind words on this thread

Mick got some deal on the building material. :D

• Advertisement

kksaints wrote: »
    Mick got some deal on the building material. :D

Got me there, obviously pouring another medicinal one when I typed that :) €6,000,000

Mick Wallace saying Galway were unprofessional but maybe might want to look at what has happened at his own club in the last few months that has been discussed on here already.
    Wexford need to make sure they sign some hungry players who don't think the 1st division is just a sunday league.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Wexford need to make sure they sign some hungry players who don't think the 1st division is just a sunday league.

The players who left were hungry, that's why they accepted a wage elsewhere

The players who left were hungry, that's why they accepted a wage elsewhere
    They were . Lee Chin wasn't though. Big mistake signing him.

Lee Chin choose food over a match, can't get hungrier than that I'd say.

Sean Maguire to sign for Preston tomorrow according to a local paper in Cork. A good move for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Hearing some whispers of Kevin O'Connor to Dundalk. He's a left back isn't he? Would be a strange signing as Massey has been brilliant this season

5 players left, Shane Keegan asked Chin to fill a gap until the end of the season. Chin agreed providing it didn't interfere with GAA business. Playoffs were not part of the deal. Why can't people get that??? Anyway, it's WYFC business, so jog on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Sean Maguire to sign for Preston tomorrow according to a local paper in Cork. A good move for him.

Bad for Cork. Very few decent strikers in the league at the moment so he'll be hard to replace.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Hearing some whispers of Kevin O'Connor to Dundalk. He's a left back isn't he? Would be a strange signing as Massey has been brilliant this season

I heard that rumour too. Strange one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

doncarlos wrote: »
    Bad for Cork. Very few decent strikers in the league at the moment so he'll be hard to replace.

Achille Campion is someone Caulfield is looking at. Might sign him now Maguire is leaving.

• Advertisement

5 players left, Shane Keegan asked Chin to fill a gap until the end of the season. Chin agreed providing it didn't interfere with GAA business. Playoffs were not part of the deal. Why can't people get that??? Anyway, it's WYFC business, so jog on

It is WYFC business of course but I am entitled to give my opinion. Best to move on from discussing this now as I made my points already in previous posts.
    But I would suggest developing some thicker skin & not just tell someone to jog on when you disagree with them.

It is WYFC business of course but I am entitled to give my opinion. Best to move on from discussing this now as I made my points already in previous posts.
    But I would suggest developing some thicker skin & not just tell someone to jog on when you disagree with them.

It's called labouring the point. If you can't accept the explanation from those who know the facts, it stops being a discussion

It's called labouring the point. If you can't accept the explanation from those who know the facts, it stops being a discussion
    I accept the points made just don't agree with the decisions that were made. A difference of opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

For some reason I am not convinced that Maguire will be a success if he moves abroad yet, despite his goals this season he hasn't really stood out any time I have seen him play and it isn't that long ago really since he was over there. Having said that Preston could be a decent move, couple of Irish guys there already and probably won't be the massive pressure that would be there if he moved to one of the Championships bigger clubs.

Patww79 wrote: »

Lads that "fail" cross channel are often desperate to prove people there wrong. Hoban was desperate to move to England in 2014, Maguire is similar by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Can't blame the players at all for moving to England ASAP. You don't know what is in store in the following season and what could happen.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Can't blame the players at all for moving to England ASAP. You don't know what is in store in the following season and what could happen.

Don't blame them, but lads in too much of a rush can take the wrong move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Great win for the Shels Ladies yesterday, decent crowd for it too. Hopefully manage to snatch the League now.

New 2017 Thread for transfers, etc...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Soccer Republic's team of the season was hilarious. Best defence in the league and no City keeper or defender there. More Derry players than City. It's not an 'exact science' according to Peter Collins.

You can say that again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement