Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Corholio wrote: »
    Soccer Republic's team of the season was hilarious. Best defence in the league and no City keeper or defender there. More Derry players than City. It's not an 'exact science' according to Peter Collins.

You can say that again.
    All Dundalk players man for man performed better than Cork's from what iv seen. Good to see McEnuf in their, he is a great player. Great striker of the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

wadacrack wrote: »
    All Dundalk players man for man performed better than Cork's from what iv seen. Good to see McEnuf in their, he is a great player. Great striker of the ball

I'm not wholly surprised you'd say that if I'm honest.

O'Connor not at left back is certainly wrong.

I'm not wholly surprised you'd say that if I'm honest.

O'Connor not at left back is certainly wrong.
    O'Connor yea could have got in, Dean Jarvis of Derry had a great year also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

O'Connor yea could have got in, Dean Jarvis of Derry had a great year also

I'd have Jarvis ahead of young O'Connor. But Massey is the best left back in the league,

My only gripe is the absence of Chris Shields. The rest of the team picks itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Derry will be a big threat next season. They won't be losing players with nearly everyone signed up for next season apart from possibly Vemmelund but McDerrmott is preferred at RB now anyway.

They have plenty of very good young players who are improving in McEneff,McDermott,Daniels & Curtis. 1 or 2 good signings & I think they could possibly overtake Cork & become Dundalk's main challengers especially if the rumours about Maquire are true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Last cork player to move to Preston...Graham Cummins. Craved out a career in the UK but not pulling up many trees at at Johnston in spl now I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I heard that rumour too. Strange one.

He's quoted today in the Examiner saying that while he isnt signed up for next season, he does want to stay. But this being the LOI you wouldnt know what to think.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/kevin-oconnor-happy-to-remain-with-cork-city-429520.html

As you mentioned, Maguire was supposedly signing with Preston today but a well know journalist covering Preston says its wide of the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

CHealy wrote: »
    As you mentioned, Maguire was supposedly signing with Preston today but a well know journalist covering Preston says its wide of the mark.

It wouldn't be a surprise if interest from Preston was over-hyped.

It will be difficult to hold on to him; 29 goals and good performances in Europe gets a player noticed.

Also, English clubs will consider him "cheap" and a "no risk" signing, just like Towell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Towell has been terribly unlucky, he injured himself in pre season and hasnt come back from that yet. I still expect him to come good.

I think for Towell it was always going to be very tough to get into the Brighton midfield, I don't blame him at all for going there but it may not have been the best choice to get game time. They already had a very decent midfield when he signed and have added to it since and been a very good team, so he can't really have any complaints about not playing imo. A mid Championship club may have been the better choice, and I'm sure quite a few would be interested if he was to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I think for Towell it was always going to be very tough to get into the Brighton midfield, I don't blame him at all for going there but it may not have been the best choice to get game time. They already had a very decent midfield when he signed and have added to it since and been a very good team, so he can't really have any complaints about not playing imo. A mid Championship club may have been the better choice, and I'm sure quite a few would be interested if he was to move.

Think what also held him back was the timing of the move. He moved to a team who were pushing for the league mid way through the season and he'd only played one match in two months before moving, he was basically still in pre season mode when he joined up with Brighton and you're not gonna disrupt a team in mid season just to get this one guy up to match sharpness. Said it many a times but lads in LoI should do what Forrester done and wait until the summer to move so while everyone in England are in pre season mode you've got half a season under your belt and a step ahead of everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I don't think Towell is good enough for the top of the Championship.

In my opinion, he is too slow for that level. A great talent with great skill but a little too slow on the ball for the highest level. I hope I'm wrong but I simply don't see him as the leading light of LoI football in Uk as others do.

I saw better similar type players than him over the years like Tony Sheridan and Paul Byrne etc. Wes was a step above all of them and struggled for years to make an impact (which thankfully he has now). Players like Paul Keegan (both of them!) went over with aspirations and dropped through the leagues quite quickly.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Towell end up at somewhere like Portsmouth where Cooke would appreciate him.

Four SSE Airtricity League players called into Irish u21 squad Shamrock Rovers' Sean Heaney, Derry City's Ronan Curtis, St Patrick's Athletic's Jamie McGrath, and Dundalk's Ciaran O'Connor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Towell made is comeback tonight and has scored.

He is more than capable for championship level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

AGC wrote: »
    Towell made is comeback tonight and has scored.

He is more than capable for championship level

...that is an U21's game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Mars Bar wrote: »
    ...that is an U21's game.

Under 23 but good to see him back

EDIT: Apologies under 21's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

AGC wrote: »
    Under 23 but good to see him back

Leyton Orient don't know what league they are playing in! Their twitter said U21.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Leyton Orient don't know what league they are playing in! Their twitter said U21.

It's that new EFL trophy tonight. U-21's with 4 or maybe 5 first team players must play

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Brighton U23 on flash score . Richie was in oriel for a match (with baby) few months ago. Would love to see him making it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Baffling that Galway are unhappy with Shane Keegan potentially taking over, he has done a tremendous job at Wexford Youths under extremely limited resources.

Some people are incredibly clannish and think that because Glynn lead a de facto Galway United team to a playoff spot in the worst First Division ever it qualifies him to manage for the job.

Galway United have stability and are ripe to attack the top half of the table. I agreed with the Tommy Dunne sacking, but the quality of the squad he developed should have been able to do far better this season gone. I think with the bulk of those and a few additions, we'll see a far improved performances for the duration of the season.

Johnny has done brilliantly with the u19 team, but that's doesn't qualify him for it either.

Many people's arguments were various flavours of "it's his turn" or "the board haven't a clue / have it in for Johnny".

shane-keegan-unveiled-2.png

A real kick in the genitals of Wexford Youths fans.

Couldn't they have waited a week or two?

Keegan negotiating with players while not having been officially announced as manager would have been monumentally stupid and we're already well behind almost everyone else in terms of recruitment.

Terrible week for Youths and I feel for them.

Oat23 wrote: »
    What sport are the national team playing this week? 28 players :rolleyes:

I was told by a GU supporter last April that Comer sponsored the club to the tune of €200k this year. If so that's serious sponsorship (and more than Fyffes to Dundalk)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Gavan Holohan gone from Cork.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Good player. Would love him back at Drogheda. Unlikely though, could see him at Bray or Bohs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Unsurprising. He is a good player no doubt, but it just didn't work out down here for some reason. Hopefully things will go a lot better for him at his next club.

joeysoap wrote: »
    I was told by a GU supporter last April that Comer sponsored the club to the tune of €200k this year. If so that's serious sponsorship (and more than Fyffes to Dundalk)

United supporters have come out with some hilarious stuff re: the Comers. It's nonsense. The person in question might have believed it, but that doesn't mean it has any truth to it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

FAI chrimbo party fund six grand better off today due to flares in Tallaght?

9 months of football, some good, some not so good but overall the LOI really is the poor relation in Ireland. Witness the 26,000 at the Aviva last Sunday. If the Man U under 17 team were playing a friendly against the Celtic undeer 17 team the Aviva would probably be a sell out. (Celtic v Barcelona in an a money making game at the start of the season is a good example)

http://extratime.ie/articles/17868/league-of-ireland-attendances-2016---the-final-story-updated/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

It is what it is, but I like the vast majority of hardcore LOI fans will carry on regardless, its our league & always will be despite what the doomsayers & FAI say & for that reason alone it will always be special, it might not be the all singing all dancing EPL or La Liga, but its ours & we'll do what football supporters do the world over, go out & support our local teams by standing on terraces or sitting in stands roaring our teams on...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

joeysoap wrote: »
    9 months of football, some good, some not so good but overall the LOI really is the poor relation in Ireland. Witness the 26,000 at the Aviva last Sunday. If the Man U under 17 team were playing a friendly against the Celtic undeer 17 team the Aviva would probably be a sell out. (Celtic v Barcelona in an a money making game at the start of the season is a good example)

http://extratime.ie/articles/17868/league-of-ireland-attendances-2016---the-final-story-updated/

Bit hyperbolic don't you think, if it was United vs Celtic first teams yeah but aint no way the 17s would even sell out say the Markets Field or Terryland Park which are both around 5,000 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

DvB wrote: »
    It is what it is, but I like the vast majority of hardcore LOI fans will carry on regardless, its our league & always will be despite what the doomsayers & FAI say & for that reason alone it will always be special, it might not be the all singing all dancing EPL or La Liga, but its ours & we'll do what football supporters do the world over, go out & support our local teams by standing on terraces or sitting in stands roaring our teams on...

I agree with all this. But it gets worrying when crowds dwindle, financial pressures mount, and clubs are threatened with going out of existence. That's why we can't just stand by and let things continue as they are.

[concerned Pats fan, by the way]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Those flares will pay for Delaney and his quare one to fly to Vienna this weekend ........business class no doubt ...and home via Rio to visit his buddy Hickey .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

damemcd wrote: »
    Those flares will pay for Delaney and his quare one to fly to Vienna this weekend ........business class no doubt ...and home via Rio to visit his buddy Hickey .

Not a hope in hell John the Baptist will be going to Rio nor near his former friend who not too long ago was touting Delaney as the next head of the OCI.

Ryan Connolly leaving Galway, likely destination Shamrock Rovers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Hoping to see him back at Sligo Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Hoping to see him back at Sligo Rovers.
    He's going to the real Rovers unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Pike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Pike?

Swilly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Yep a done deal. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

No ambition then.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Ara ****. He always impresses me. Calm on the ball.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Jimmy Keohane moves from Sligo Rovers to Cork City.

Jimmy Keohane signed for us, Cork, this morning from Sligo.

Any thoughts on him from Sligo fans?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

EDIT: Double post. Delete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Jimmy is a lovely player. Very good on the ball. He has toughened up a lot since he was with us. Didn't see much of him last season when we played them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Didn't see much football this season but Keohane was one of the highlights of what I did see. Great signing.

A replacement for another Cork City midfielder who could be possibly leaving?

A replacement for another Cork City midfielder who could be possibly leaving?
    Hoolahan has left

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement