Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Healy must be nearly done too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

wadacrack wrote: »
    Hoolahan has left

That's why I said another midfielder, heard that Greg Bolger could be leaving but this was a couple of days before the cup final so nothing might come from it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Healy must be nearly done too.

You'd think but it wouldn't surprise me to see him hang around for another year, I certainly hope so anyway. Played the entire 90 against Wexford a few weeks back and completely ran the show. The most naturally gifted footballer Iv ever seen in a Cork City shirt.

Holohan out and Keohane in looks like it could be a good bit of business because Holohan just wasnt working out.

That's why I said another midfielder, heard that Greg Bolger could be leaving but this was a couple of days before the cup final so nothing might come from it now.

Bolger is 100% signed up for next season, just not announced yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Yea Healy has retired aswell

CHealy wrote: »
    Bolger is 100% signed up for next season, just not announced yet.

Unless it was signed in the last week because he apprantly had discussions with another club over a possible move.

Unless it was signed in the last week because he apprantly had discussions with another club over a possible move.

Rubbish, he's been signed up for next season for ages, I know this as fact. Now unless you are telling me a club are willing to pay for him, then thats another story, but only Dundalk would have the finances to do that.

Rubbish, he's been signed up for next season for ages, I know this as fact. Now unless you are telling me a club are willing to pay for him, then thats another story, but only Dundalk would have the finances to do that.

If as you say it's rubbish and he's been signed for ages then it's strange nothing was made public.

Plus couldn't see him costing that much that only Dundalk could afford him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Was at Dundalk in 2011 (Ian Foster was managing),unlikely to return I would have thought.

If as you say it's rubbish and he's been signed for ages then it's strange nothing was made public.

Plus couldn't see him costing that much that only Dundalk could afford him.

As with previous years, Cork City like to stagger the announcement of players resigning/new signings over the course of November, December and January. This is to keep the interest over the long offseason. Its nothing new and its probably not even unique to Cork City. If you are so sure Bolger was in discussions with another club, why don't you give us some more details???
    joeysoap wrote: »
    Was at Dundalk in 2011 (Ian Foster was managing),unlikely to return I would have thought.

I would imagine very unlikely, would he get in the team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Would love to see Healy stick around for another year, I think being on the field winning a medal would have been a good way to go out though so I wouldn't be surprised if he did call it a day. Just a great guy to have both playing and around the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

Keohane's good but I think he looked better for us at left back. Can't see him getting into corks midfield. Not much of an attacking threat last season but works hard and has a good attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

Keohane's good but I think he looked better for us at left back. Can't see him getting into corks midfield. Not much of an attacking threat last season but works hard and has a good attitude.

As with previous years, Cork City like to stagger the announcement of players resigning/new signings over the course of November, December and January. This is to keep the interest over the long offseason. Its nothing new and its probably not even unique to Cork City. If you are so sure Bolger was in discussions with another club, why don't you give us some more details???

I would imagine very unlikely, would he get in the team?

Can't see him wanting to sign for Dundalk. As for who would get in the team, that's a good question, so many rumours of who is leaving/not leaving at the moment.

SK's main priority has to be the AZ match, might not be boom or bust but it's close. I'd say whoever he has lined up for next year knows but can't see any announcements until the EL matches are over, it could be a a) a distraction b) unfair to the current squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Paul Corry signed for Shams, theyre supposed to be signing Ryan Connolly as well. Must be a few leaving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

As with previous years, Cork City like to stagger the announcement of players resigning/new signings over the course of November, December and January. This is to keep the interest over the long offseason. Its nothing new and its probably not even unique to Cork City.

It's nice to be able to do, but too many so called supporters of the club that delight in making every little rumour public for it to work here in Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

AgileMyth wrote: »
    theyre supposed to be signing Ryan Connolly as well. Must be a few leaving?

Gave good service to us but didn't have a great season. A chance for others to step up.

I reckon Keegan is going to have whatever squad he has in March firing on all cylinders.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

not overly impressed by the possibility of Connolly. Corry would be a great signing if he's fit...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

dfx- wrote: »
    not overly impressed by the possibility of Connolly. Corry would be a great signing if he's fit...

Dundalk had a good look at him. He could be a good signing for Rovers, but is a gamble.

• Advertisement

Waterford United FC wishes to announce that Lee Power has assumed control of the football club. Former professional footballer Power is the current owner and Chairman of Swindon Town FC, and he has represented Ireland at youth, U21 and B level. He takes over from former Chairman John O’Sullivan.

Mr O’Sullivan said: "I am delighted to support Lee as the new owner of the club and I look forward to the success that is sure to come. I would like to thank all the committee members over the years who have helped to keep things going during a tough time for the region."

Mr Power, whose grandfather hails from Waterford, said today: "I am delighted to be involved with a club of such great potential and one which has a wonderful footballing history. I hope the supporters and the business community will get behind what is a new beginning for Waterford United. I see this as a very exciting, long-term project. The facilities at the RSC, as well as those at the WIT Sports Arena are top class. I wish to thank FAI Chief Executive John Delaney for all his assistance over recent months, and I look forward to the coming season with great anticipation. I would also like to pay tribute to outgoing Chairman, John O’Sullivan and I would like to thank him for his assistance with the change of ownership.”

CEO of the FAI John Delaney recently met with Lee Power at FAI HQ, welcomed the move today, and said: “Waterford United is a great club, it has outstanding facilities and it is in the heart of a football stronghold.

“The region has produced some great players including the likes of the Fitzgeralds, the Hales, the Hunts, Daryl Murphy, John O’Shea and Jim Beglin, and through the great structures in the county it continues to produce a high level of underage internationals.

“Waterford is steeped in football, and their victory in the 1980 FAI Cup Final stands out as one of the great sporting achievements for this great city.

"It’s a club that is extremely close to my heart. My father was Chairman of Waterford and I was Club Secretary, and
    I want to thank John O’Sullivan for his great efforts over the years.

“I’m delighted that a great football man in Lee Power is coming in to bring the club back to a highly competitive level, and replicate past glories.

Great news for Waterford and the LOI. The league can only be better for having a strong Waterford club.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Great news for Waterford and the LOI. The league can only be better for having a strong Waterford club.

I for one dream of the day of having a Premier Division with City, Limerick, Waterford and the mighty Ramblers. The east coast lads dont know how handy they have it when it comes to travel.

Saying that, this Lee Power fella seems like an absolute looper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Waterford to have the begging buckets out by June this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

The word is that the squad will be split 50/50 between local players and UK players and win the league at a trot, with a push for Europe in 2018. That's what I heard from a good source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

SantryRed wrote: »
    Waterford to have the begging buckets out by June this year?

This, can't see it going any other way. Stinks of being another Arkaga, Mick Leeson and Ollie Horgan situation.

Swindon fans reckon it'll be their feeder club.

Best case scenerio would be a midtable PD Waterford United with a sustainable budget. I don't foresee that, my money is on one of the aforementioned scenerios repeating itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The word is that the squad will be split 50/50 between local players and UK players and win the league at a trot, with a push for Europe in 2018. That's what I heard from a good source

Swindon are 19th in League 1.
    None of them would get their place on the Dundalk or Cork teams.

Have seen Swindon play in pre-season and abit last year. They would probably more than likely beat Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

This screams Arkaga. They came in promising the moon and the stars and not long after suddenly pulled the plug leaving us in the lurch. Wouldnt be surprised to see the same thing happen to Waterford.

Did I say they would be all Swindon players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah for some reason I can't see this ending well for Waterford. Let's hope we're all wrong!

• Advertisement

Did I say they would be all Swindon players?
    They would be getting the fringe players. Still wouldn't be good enough.

They would be getting the fringe players. Still wouldn't be good enough.

For the 1st Division? They would be more than good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The most important thing about the news from Waterford is that John Delaney got a positive mention in their press release.

For the 1st Division? They would be more than good enough

You sad "win the league at a trot, with a push for Europe in 2018".
    So they'd have to win the more than the first division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Well lads, I do share my work here occasionally. Have been working on some new LOI stuff lately, here's two of my latest most relevant efforts for Dundalk and Cork fans!

il_570xN.1080412158_ck3g.jpg

il_570xN.1081319616_gjwy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Waterford thing sounds a bit fishy but who knows really

CSF wrote: »
    Waterford thing sounds a bit fishy but who knows really

They've no real assets.

Probably cost a fiver to buy them.

Invest a few quid and if doesn't work out, just walk away.

You sad "win the league at a trot, with a push for Europe in 2018".
    So they'd have to win the more than the first division.

No need to be pedantic. A squad to win the 1st Division can be different to the one pushing for Europe the following year.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The most important thing about the news from Waterford is that John Delaney got a positive mention in their press release.

:D

Two young Irish lads in the squad. (not getting promoted this year)

http://uk.soccerway.com/teams/england/swindon-town-fc/708/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Zebra3 wrote: »
    They've no real assets.

Probably cost a fiver to buy them.

Invest a few quid and if doesn't work out, just walk away.
    No, they don't, but it isn't as if their is potential for moneymaking with them in any way unless you manage to go like Dundalk and have a European run.

Lets even look at a really successful hypothetical and say they end up winning the Premier Division (ridiculously unlikely), how much money do they make in the process to even come close to matching what they've got to spend to get there.

They're a real nothing club with no interest in the city and it is hard to see this ending well.

• Advertisement

No, they don't, but it isn't as if their is potential for moneymaking with them in any way unless you manage to go like Dundalk and have a European run.

Lets even look at a really successful hypothetical and say they end up winning the Premier Division (ridiculously unlikely), how much money do they make in the process to even come close to matching what they've got to spend to get there.

They're a real nothing club with no interest in the city and it is hard to see this ending well.

Not true, things can turn around pretty quickly. They are doing some good work underage. The attendances are poor with many clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Being from Waterford and actually having a clue what I'm talking about I can tell you there is a huge potential market down here that simply isn't being tapped into. Anybody who follows soccer down here has some kind of passive interest in Waterford United but the club has been such a shambles recently that they are being driven away.

A good managerial appointment and some exciting signings and I guarantee the RSC will see double the amount of people it saw this year, but yeah we're a nothing club, throw Shamrock Rovers B into the First Division instead of us sure :rolleyes:

No need to be pedantic. A squad to win the 1st Division can be different to the one pushing for Europe the following year.

I am just a bit sceptical about the proposed project.
    Just because it looks good doesn't mean it will work.
    Nor does the use of English D.1 fringe players guarantee success.
    I would love to see Waterford succeed but this kind of project would need a lot of examining. It could set them back years.

I am just a bit sceptical about the proposed project.
    Just because it looks good doesn't mean it will work.
    Nor does the use of English D.1 fringe players guarantee success.
    I would love to see Waterford succeed but this kind of project would need a lot of examining. It could set them back years.
    its a no brainer, the club is at rock bottom the last few months

Movement at last on Oriel?

http://www.dundalkfc.com/statement-2/

Friendly against Brentford B in London on Wednesday (at brentfords training ground, just to keep match fit I'd guess)

(AZ beat Besiktas in friendly in Istanbul 4 -1 at weekend)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Says the Shelbourne fan?! Shelbourne! The personification of irrelevant!!!

The money making plan will be around players progress not the team.

One thing for sure though is that Delaney won't be getting himself associated with it when the arse falls out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

FAI are advertising for a marketing executive for the league.

Good to see the FAI actually listen to us for once. Hopefully whoever gets the job will get sufficient support to actually do a good job.

• Advertisement

FAI are advertising for a marketing executive for the league.

Good to see the FAI actually listen to us for once. Hopefully whoever gets the job will get sufficient support to actually do a good job.

Hopefully whoever gets the job actually has an interest in the league and not a job for the boys club for someones buddy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement