Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Swindon are 19th in League 1.
    None of them would get their place on the Dundalk or Cork teams.

Much easier to access European football through an irish club then a small-ish English club. Surprised it hasn't happened before now with the Europa money now available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Omackeral wrote: »
    CSF wrote: »

They're a real nothing club with no interest in the city and it is hard to see this ending well.

Says the Shelbourne fan?! Shelbourne! The personification of irrelevant!!!
    As much as I'd disagree with the term irrelevant (we're currently an absolute shambles but that's another story) and our trophy cabinet doesn't lie, I'm not exactly advocating we start splurging massive amounts of money that don't reflect any kinds of potential income streams either.

As bad as we are, we're not bordering on extinction and shedding half our squad on an almost annual basis either. We're just not a very good football team who are probably at our lowest right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

In what is now a natural progression, Cork City have signed Achille Campion previously of............................................you'll be shocked............................Sligo Rovers F.C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

CHealy wrote: »
    In what is now a natural progression, Cork City have signed Achille Campion previously of............................................you'll be shocked............................Sligo Rovers F.C.

His wife's from glanmire I heard :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

****ing Caulfield at it again. He has no idea about football outside Ireland so he just waits for us to bring players in and then throws money at them..

• Advertisement

AgileMyth wrote: »
    ****ing Caulfield at it again. He has no idea about football outside Ireland so he just waits for us to bring players in and then throws money at them..

I was with you up until the money part. Cork City don't have the budget you think they do.

I was with you up until the money part. Cork City don't have the budget you think they do.
    It's more than ours anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

While I was expecting Campion to leave and go to Cork, it's a bit disappointing that he said he was leaving Sligo because he was too far from his wife, then he signs with Cork..

If you're leaving to play in Europe and earn more then that's fine. But why lie about it the day before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Oat23 wrote: »
    While I was expecting Campion to leave and go to Cork, it's a bit disappointing that he said he was leaving Sligo because he was too far from his wife, then he signs with Cork..

If you're leaving to play in Europe and earn more then that's fine. But why lie about it the day before?

What makes you think he lied?
    Cork airport would have a lot more international routes than Knock (nearest international airport to Sligo and still 45 minutes away).
    Unless you want a week in Lanzorote, a piss up in Liverpool or to be left 30 miles outside Milan in "Milan-Bergamo" then Knock is no good to you.

• Advertisement

What makes you think he lied?
    Cork airport would have a lot more international routes than Knock (nearest international airport to Sligo and still 45 minutes away).
    Unless you want a week in Lanzorote, a piss up in Liverpool or to be left 30 miles outside Milan in "Milan-Bergamo" then Knock is no good to you.

I suppose it's true that Cork is easier, but his message yesterday made it sound like he wanted to go back to England/France.

His wife might not have wanted to live in Sligo but will live in Cork. Who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

heard a rumour that christy fagan is signing for bray , gary mccabe also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Bradley announced as head coach at Rovers ,signings to be announced on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

peteeeed wrote: »

Fagan on crazy wages to go to Bray. It will a payrise from what he is on at SPA. How can Bray afford to pay anyone such a wage?

Talking to a Rovers fan living in Cork he said they are competing with Bray to try get players for next season, which says it all about what kind of money Bray are handing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It can never end well, can it?

as a bray fan , lets roll that dice :) we've been getting 1000 or so at the gate and more when the bigger sides were in town so roll on next season

as a bray fan , lets roll that dice :) we've been getting 1000 or so at the gate and more when the bigger sides were in town so roll on next season
    Yeah. Good call. It'll probably work out. Ask the Shels fans.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Yeah. Good call. It'll probably work out. Ask the Shels fans.

We're not going that mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Next season to begin a week earlier and the mid season break to be a week shorter, good news.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    It can never end well, can it?

It`ll end with Bray playing the poor mouth, blaming everyone but themselves when they go tits up.
    The owner is a property developer.
    The Carlisle grounds is a prime piece of real estate.
    Doesn't take a genius to put it all together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Hopefully not and the rumours of him going to Dundalk are true cause part of that rumour has it that if he joins Dundalk then Kilduff is on his way out and possibly Limerick could be his next stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

It`ll end with Bray playing the poor mouth, blaming everyone but themselves when they go tits up.
    The owner is a property developer.
    The Carlisle grounds is a prime piece of real estate.
    Doesn't take a genius to put it all together.

He's involved solely to steamroll The Carlisle for Development Land anyways, no?

With regards Fagan to Bray, considering the rumours are of wages between €1,800 and €3,000 have been spouted - it will not end well if true.

wicklow county council own the carlisle grounds and its leased as a sports ground on a 99 year lease . of course there are ways around that but it would be quite public if they went that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I just can't see it ending well if we go all out spending big money.

The core support of the team adds up to about 600-700 max. We might be having bigger gates at the moment because we're doing relatively well but when a bad run sets in, attendances go down.

Long term, we're never going to build a large enough fan-base to move beyond being some rich lad's plaything. If there is outside funding willing to support the club indefinitely, we'll be fine but we've seen it far too many times in the LOI that big investment eventually dries up or the owners become bored.

I'd be cautiously optimistic about the goings on.

I just can't see it ending well if we go all out spending big money.

The core support of the team adds up to about 600-700 max. We might be having bigger gates at the moment because we're doing relatively well but when a bad run sets in, attendances go down.

Long term, we're never going to build a large enough fan-base to move beyond being some rich lad's plaything. If there is outside funding willing to support the club indefinitely, we'll be fine but we've seen it far too many times in the LOI that big investment eventually dries up or the owners become bored.

I'd be cautiously optimistic about the goings on.

well the crowds were up quite dramatically as soon as the team starting playing well but i know a lot of schools are given free tickets to get them into the habbit of going

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Is head coach some kind of European trainer type thingy or are Rovers splitting the job of getting players and picking the team between McPhail and Bradley?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

He's involved solely to steamroll The Carlisle for Development Land anyways, no?

With regards Fagan to Bray, considering the rumours are of wages between €1,800 and €3,000 have been spouted - it will not end well if true.

Nobody in Dundalk is getting anything like €3000 a week. Decent bonus maybe but not wages of that size. one player getting wages of that size is going to cause problems with other players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Is head coach some kind of European trainer type thingy or are Rovers splitting the job of getting players and picking the team between McPhail and Bradley?

As I imagine it, the first team decisions etc are Bradley's, but he's not the old style all-seeing manager. So a European style with McPhail above that and presumably Robinson over all the youth teams.

So when Bradley gets sacked in June/July next year or June/July 2018, the same structure will be around instead of different managers changing everything.

• Advertisement

he's obviously better than he's performance at bray where dylan Connolly tore him apart

'Palace will rival Sunderland for Sligo Rovers full-back Tobi Adebayo-Rowling. (The Sun)

http://www.winnersports.co.uk/crystal-palace-fc-sunderland-afc-keen-20-year-old-sensation-15908

We're not going that mental
    Maybe not. Competing with Shams for players because ye are getting 1000 people in the gate is pretty mental though. If ye sign Fagan I'd be worried.

wicklow county council own the carlisle grounds and its leased as a sports ground on a 99 year lease . of course there are ways around that but it would be quite public if they went that way

The way I see it Bray average crowds around 700 people, if you go a bit mad and say there's 5000 people in the Bray area that would have even a passing interest in Bray Wanderers it's still only accounts for a miniscule part of the population of the area.

There'd be far more people delighted to see more sea side adjacent housing coming onstream in the heart of Bray than would be sad to see Bray Wanderers moved or buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Dundalk get magazine of the year

http://www.dundalkfc.com/seven-in-a-row/

In fairness it is a terrific magazine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

Rumours that tobi could be signed by crystal palace or Sunderland http://www.winnersports.co.uk/crystal-palace-fc-sunderland-afc-keen-20-year-old-sensation-15908

sligolad1 wrote: »
    Rumours that tobi could be signed by crystal palace or Sunderland http://www.winnersports.co.uk/crystal-palace-fc-sunderland-afc-keen-20-year-old-sensation-15908

Posted above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Roberto Lopes, Paul Corry, Ryan Connolly & Daniel Devine all announced for Rovers. Stephen Rice also announced as U.17s head coach. They tried to do a live stream on facebook but it failed miserably, for all of the talk of Rovers looking to build something special and become an alternative to England for elite young players, part of me thinks it is going to fail miserably. Not sure if any of those signings will help bridge the gap between Rovers and the top 2.

Roberto Lopes

That must sting..He's been like the face of Bohs for a good few years now. Won POTY a few times as well, hasn't he?

Roberto Lopes, Paul Corry, Ryan Connolly & Daniel Devine all announced for Rovers. Stephen Rice also announced as U.17s head coach. They tried to do a live stream on facebook but it failed miserably, for all of the talk of Rovers looking to build something special and become an alternative to England for elite young players, part of me thinks it is going to fail miserably. Not sure if any of those signings will help bridge the gap between Rovers and the top 2.

Press conference was a disaster and theres nothing Dundalk or Cork City fans should be worried about with those signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Lopes is a bang average footballer. He's awful on the ball, can't pass, shoot, cross... He had a massive heart at Bohs at won the fans over with his work ethic. But a pretty average footballer it must be said. Another Luke Byrne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Shambles of a press conference. Sound was dreadful and none of the new lads spoke anyway. I'm all for drumming up a bit of interest around an event happening at the club but if you're going to do it do it properly. That looked like something a local intermediate club would stick up on facebook for the laugh.

On the signings it's obvious Rovers are building a young talented squad but they need somebody with a bit of x-factor. They don't really have a game changer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

BOHtox wrote: »
    Lopes is a bang average footballer. He's awful on the ball, can't pass, shoot, cross... He had a massive heart at Bohs at won the fans over with his work ethic. But a pretty average footballer it must be said. Another Luke Byrne

He was brilliant the season before last in fairness.

Will get a tasty reception in Dalymount anyway.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Danny Devine.... Belfast native?....... just watched his interview on the Facebook page and sure sounded like a Dub anybody know who he is/where he has come from?, was he at Villa at one stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

BOHtox wrote: »
    He will play centre half id imagine. I think he could do very well in that position for Rovers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Robbie Keane leaving LA Galaxy and taking some time out before deciding where to go. What's the chances of him coming home?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/1117/832585-keane-to-part-ways-with-la-galaxy/

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

wadacrack wrote: »
    He will play centre half id imagine. I think he could do very well in that position for Rovers

He played there for Bohs for years before being moved to midfield. His best performances for Bohs always came in midfield, never looked a confident defender. That may change of course, he's matured quite a bit the last 2 seasons.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Danny Devine.... Belfast native?....... just watched his interview on the Facebook page and sure sounded like a Dub anybody know who he is/where he has come from?, was he at Villa at one stage?

Yeah he's from Templeogue I think and yeah he is your man from Villa

He started off CB and RB at Bohs and he kept getting smoked by wingers. You definitely need a line of defence behind him for the amount of soft tackles he puts in and tackles he misses

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

With the high rate of turnover of players in the LOI anyone who's at a club more than two season nearly automatically becomes a fan favorite.

As was said above though, Lopes was no great shakes on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Agree that Rovers don't really seem to have the player or two with the "x factor" as pighead said, they will be under a lot of pressure this season and I don't know if they have any players yet who will be able to rise above that and bail his team mates out on occasions where they aren't performing. Dundalk have several of those players and Cork have a couple, when Rovers were the dominant team in the league a few seasons ago they did have those players but I don't think they do anymore. McPhail will be a major loss of experience on the pitch too, he did say in his interview there a few minutes ago that they are hoping to announce more players in the coming days.

Danny Devine is from Tallaght and yes he was over at Aston Villa for a few years. I think he has just been playing junior football for the past two years or so since coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Agree that Rovers don't really seem to have the player or two with the "x factor" as pighead said, they will be under a lot of pressure this season and I don't know if they have any players yet who will be able to rise above that and bail his team mates out on occasions where they aren't performing. Dundalk have several of those players and Cork have a couple, when Rovers were the dominant team in the league a few seasons ago they did have those players but I don't think they do anymore. McPhail will be a major loss of experience on the pitch too, he did say in his interview there a few minutes ago that they are hoping to announce more players in the coming days.

Danny Devine is from Tallaght and yes he was over at Aston Villa for a few years. I think he has just been playing junior football for the past two years or so since coming home.

What age is he. Some source seem to think Rovers have signed Daniel Devine from Partick Thistle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

What age is he. Some source seem to think Rovers have signed Daniel Devine from Partick Thistle.

Yeah I saw that too..... that lad is from Belfast, but our Danny Devine is defo not he.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement