Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    No they can't. They were essentially Reds United for a season when they were kicked out of the league a few decades ago. A club that was formed by ex-Shels members to hold their place in the league until Shelbourne were reformed the following season and re-entered.

Shels were suspended by the FAI in the 1930s for a season. Reds United were formed by people involved with the club and played for that season in the junior leagues. When Shels suspension was lifted they were denied entry back into the league for a further season. Shels played in a junior league while Reds United played for a season in the LoI.

At no stage did Shels cease to exist and have to be reformed.

Take your lying lies elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Harps have signed Danny Morrisey from Cork... Didn't see that one coming. Guessing he will be our lead striker next year given the amount of departures rumoured from us... Assuming he stays injury free, guess that's why cork released him?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

overshoot wrote: »
    Harps have signed Danny Morrisey from Cork... Didn't see that one coming. Guessing he will be our lead striker next year given the amount of departures rumoured from us... Assuming he stays injury free, guess that's why cork released him?

He couldn't rekindle the kind of form he showed a few seasons ago, largely due to the long injury he sustained, and then when he got himself back fit, he simply couldn't break back into the team (which, of course, was significantly stronger than the one he left at the time of his injury).

I genuinely hope he goes on to fulfill the potential that he quite clearly has. An extended run of matches could do him the world of good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

He's involved solely to steamroll The Carlisle for Development Land anyways, no?

11 days ago :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

He's involved solely to steamroll The Carlisle for Development Land anyways, no?

11 days ago :pac::pac:

Council have lease anyway, so a bit trickier than just getting the team out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Ger O'Brien signed back for Pats in a player/coaching role, as well as Director of Football for the underage teams. Pity the schoolboy section went to the wall before Ger was appointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Mushy wrote: »
    Council have lease anyway, so a bit trickier than just getting the team out.

Good thing the owners have made it part of Brays 5 year plan so.

"The Carlisle Grounds at present are owned by Wicklow County Council, and leased to Bray Wanderers FC
    for a peppercorn rent. The terms of the lease are that the land cannot be sold unless the club is housed in an
    equivalent venue. What extra income the club can earn from the ground is at present kept by the club.
    However, while the Carlisle Grounds are in a very central location, it doesn’t necessarily follow that a football
    ground is the council’s ideal tenant for such a central spot. The council may well be amenable to a more
    commercial development in the centre of town, in keeping with recent Council regeneration projects, with the
    funds from the sale of the Carlisle Grounds going towards the cost of the new leisure complex. In addition, the
    future value of rental income from the Carlisle Grounds site, a share of the income from the leisure complex
    and the extra community value generated by the leisure complex would add value to the deal from a Council
    viewpoint.
    The exact terms of any deal would require negotiation with the Council; however, it appears quite likely that a
    deal agreeable to both parties can be found."

http://braywanderersfc.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Bray_Wanderers_Strategic_Plan_A4_32pp_DIGITAL-2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Holy God, projecting a FT outfit (€1.1) Looks like next year's sponsors are Bray tourism, how much can they have for sponsorship? Say 17 home gates x 1500 spectators x €15 average is less than €400k. What am I missing? Though I have to add hats off to Bray for producing a five year plan, I suspect that a lot of clubs couldn't produce such a plan.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Holy God, projecting a FT outfit (€1.1) Looks like next year's sponsors are Bray tourism, how much can they have for sponsorship? Say 17 home gates x 1500 spectators x €15 average is less than €400k. What am I missing? Though I have to add hats off to Bray for producing a five year plan, I suspect that a lot of clubs couldn't produce such a plan.

Every club in the league is doing it. It`s what the 5k from the FAI is for.
    Also home gates aren`t E15 average, more like E7 when season tickets and concessions are taken into account.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

joeysoap wrote: »

Isn't that what the clubs were given €5k each for?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

What use is a 5 year plan if it has no basis in reality?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Have no idea where the money can realistically be generated (apart from a sugar daddy) for Bray's plans. It's all pie in the sky stuff.

No chance of selling the Carlisle Grounds as it's owned by Wicklow CC and is being leased by the club. They signed a 99-year lease about ten years ago, iirc. Even if the ground was sold, the money would go to Wicklow CC, not to the club. It is not a possible source of funds for the club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Bit late with this, but Michael Higgins, UCD PA announcer passed away last Thursday week. Anyone who's been to the Bowl or indeed Belfield Park over the last God knows how long will know Michael's unique way of delivering his announcements.
    Absolute gent of a man who was a true LOI stalwart and took his job very seriously in the decades that he was there. It'll be very odd being in the Bowl next season and not have him doing the announcements.

RIP.

Every club in the league is doing it. It`s what the 5k from the FAI is for.
    Also home gates aren`t E15 average, more like E7 when season tickets and concessions are taken into account.

Point taken regards 5 year plan.

As for the average of €15, I allowed an average gate of 1500, which might not be achieved (though the population is big enough to generate gates of this size)

Few years ago Dundalk asked for an additional €40/50 from season ticket holders, though they were probably the most expensive in the first division, to make up a shortfall and didn't Sligo ask ST holders to pay into the final home game of the season this year? Selling lots of season tickets can have its drawbacks too)

* do clubs count season ticket holders in the attendance figures, or do they average it out ie 750 ST = 500 average attendance? (my club just glance at them, haven't seen them scanned in years)

I think they generally count them in the attendance. I think the year we oversold on earlybird tickets was the last time we went out with the begging bowl (2011) too... results were poor and most regulars took up the offer leaving very little match day revenue, although there was also a bit of 2008 legacy adding pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Season tickets are often included in attendance regardless of whether they have actually turned up or not. Easiest way to massage your figures. Give out 100-500 season tickets to school children.

Have no idea where the money can realistically be generated (apart from a sugar daddy) for Bray's plans. It's all pie in the sky stuff.

No chance of selling the Carlisle Grounds as it's owned by Wicklow CC and is being leased by the club. They signed a 99-year lease about ten years ago, iirc. Even if the ground was sold, the money would go to Wicklow CC, not to the club. It is not a possible source of funds for the club.

I think its a 35 year lease.
    The owners at Bray believe its very doable to get the council to zone it as development land.
    Their plan is that the council would sell/rent the land for development. Gold star for guessing the occupation of Brays Owners?
    Now the sweetener for Bray is that they would get a modern stadium/complex out of it but the league is riddled with those kinds of deals going bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Season tickets are often included in attendance regardless of whether they have actually turned up or not. Easiest way to massage your figures. Give out 100-500 season tickets to school children.

We gave a free season ticket to every primary school student in Dundalk in 2014 and 2015 (only able to attend when with an adult)

Had to stop it ahead of this season, as some adults (pricks) were using the kids season tickets to gain entrance on a regular basis! Id say thats 1 reason our crowds have dropped this season..Adult with 3 kids last season (€15 in) Adult with 3 kids this season (€15 plus €5 X 3 = €30)

Had to stop it ahead of this season, as some adults (pricks) were using the kids season tickets to gain entrance on a regular basis!

could you not just obviously colour code the tickets rather than stop it?... Dundalk colours, white for an adult ST, black for kids. Adult using a kids ST is immediately obvious and told f off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

could you not just obviously colour code the tickets rather than stop it?... Dundalk colours, white for an adult ST, black for kids. Adult using a kids ST is immediately obvious and told f off.

sometimes there is nobody at the turnstiles only a scanner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Conor Kane to Drogs from Pats.

Any Saints fans know anything about him?

wadacrack wrote: »

Good signing for Derry, according to Goal they have accepted that Niclas Vemmelund is leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Shelbourne Women claimed the WNL tonight, which gives them the treble this season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Conor Kane to Drogs from Pats.

Any Saints fans know anything about him?

Never heard of him, probably one of the under 19s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Never heard of him, probably one of the under 19s.

Defender. Played for the u17s afaik.

Keith buckley to bray. He any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Very very industrious, will not give up. Nothing ground breaking but has tonnes of heart, sometimes you need that in a side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bray will do very well next season . Sullivan & Buckley is a very hard working midfield. Very solid defence. Not many teams can deal with Connolly's pace either if he stays with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Barrett and Rogers re-sign with Dundalk

• Advertisement

Knew about Rogers, glad that Paddy has re-signed, word that City were interested. Terrific match in Warsaw. Unlucky not go get regular place. ( and when he plays the expectation is for him score as often as Gartland :), which is pushing it, Gartland probably scores as many as most midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Player of the year last year at Bohs, he got my vote for it too.

Can play anywhere across the middle. He'll never stop trying. Really, really sad to see him go but I'm delighted he didn't join Rovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Gary Rogers really needs to work on the ball at his feet. Really stands out in the Europa League, like a GAA keeper just puts his foot through the ball asap

Gary Rogers really needs to work on the ball at his feet. Really stands out in the Europa League, like a GAA keeper just puts his foot through the ball asap

He`s 35 now so I think he is where he is in terms of his core skills.
    Like a lot of Irish born goalkeepers/players based both domestically and abroad his background is in GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Seriously not trying to wind anyone up here, but I think he is a shocking keeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

In Sligo he looked comfortable on the ball as long as both centre backs were decent footballers. Gave him the option to get rid of it quick which maybe relaxed him a bit. He was always a better keeper when Jeff Henderson played.

Stephen Kenny plays from the back, but sometimes there's a back pass too many, (the pitch was partly to blame for the goal Shams scored in oriel, the Sligo goal was a mistake by Rogers and if Chris Shields hadn't passed back against Zenit who knows ......different keeper and a complete miskick.

Bray building for a make or break season, they were form team for the last 15 or so matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

From the little I have seen of Sava I think he is a better keeper looks more assured despite the miskick vs Zenit.
    Rodgers uses his left foot to walk on.
    I would have let him go to Shamrock Rovers if rumours were true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Weve signed David Cawley, also rumours that Bray are in for Stephen Folan, a big offer apparently as his preference is staying in Galway (home).

• Advertisement

Weve signed David Cawley, also rumours that Bray are in for Stephen Folan, a big offer apparently as his preference is staying in Galway (home).

Considering how long he was looking to get home, it will be a big decision for him to leave again, but whatever he decides, the best of luck to him.

Football is a short career and even more precarious here than in other countries.

There's a motorway from Galway to Bray. He can still live at home if he wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

AgileMyth wrote: »
    He doesn't drive I believe.

Spending 5 hours in the car most days is not something a person would choose lightly, even if he drove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Considering how long he was looking to get home, it will be a big decision for him to leave again, but whatever he decides, the best of luck to him.

Football is a short career and even more precarious here than in other countries.

Yep, by all accounts he was very enthused and impressed after speaking with Keegan and the plan had been to stay, time will tell.

Spending 5 hours in the car most days is not something a person would choose lightly, even if he drove.

And Bray are going to insist on him being at training... Its how we landed Scully & Hanlon last year, we could offer part time and despite the distance they were able to fit in around work... and only had to train once a week with the squad.

Ethan Boyle re-signed at Harps despite Waterford apparently throwing money at him.

edit: are sligo releasing Nugent seeing as they have signed Patton from Derry? I thought he had overtaken Schlingerman at the end of last year or was he injured? I see McFadden did sign too... bugger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

MD1990 wrote: »
    From the little I have seen of Sava I think he is a better keeper looks more assured despite the miskick vs Zenit.

As a Drogheda supporter, I've seen enough of both Gary and Gabby over the years. they are both prone to howlers that, inevitably, cost points.

For me, Schlingermann was much better than both. Our current keeper is going to be a good 'un too.

And Bray are going to insist on him being at training... Its how we landed Scully & Hanlon last year, we could offer part time and despite the distance they were able to fit in around work... and only had to train once a week with the squad.

Ethan Boyle re-signed at Harps despite Waterford apparently throwing money at him.

edit: are sligo releasing Nugent seeing as they have signed Patton from Derry? I thought he had overtaken Schlingerman at the end of last year or was he injured? I see McFadden did sign too... bugger
    Nugent must not be coming back alright. Pity because he looked decent. Schlingerman was injured, that's why he got his chance but he was very good when he got it.

Surprised no one else in the league has signed him. He's better than any keeper in the league bar schlingerman maybe

PGE1970 wrote: »
    MD1990 wrote: »

As a Drogheda supporter, I've seen enough of both Gary and Gabby over the years. they are both prone to howlers that, inevitably, cost points.

For me, Schlingermann was much better than both. Our current keeper is going to be a good 'un too.

Is Mcguinness the current Drogs keeper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Is Mcguinness the current Drogs keeper?

Yes.

Nugent must not be coming back alright. Pity because he looked decent. Schlingerman was injured, that's why he got his chance but he was very good when he got it.

Surprised no one else in the league has signed him. He's better than any keeper in the league bar schlingerman maybe

Seen on our forum since Nugent is off to Galway. Wouldnt have minded him coming up the road

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement