Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Mushy wrote: »
    Is Mcguinness the current Drogs keeper?

Yes - had a super season. Called up to Irish u21s (although Mark Kinsella may have had something to do with that.)

Look at Soccer Republic highlights of Drogheda Wexford game for a piece of what we've seen all season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_KCWv4HzEI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

PGE1970 wrote: »

Yes - had a super season. Called up to Irish u21s (although Mark Kinsella may have had something to do with that.)

Look at Soccer Republic highlights of Drogheda Wexford game for a piece of what we've seen all season.

I saw him with Bray, he'll be very good. He was unlucky at the timing of his injury and then bringing in Cherrie, he made a good call moving to get regular football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

PGE1970 wrote: »

he was great for bray until that bad injury then we signed peter cherrie , size sometimes caught him out

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Was he at Bray?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Was he at Bray?

Yup, he's a young lad from down the road. As peteed said, height can get him, but he's a good goalie. Experience is great for him, he'd possibly still be at bray if he didn't get injured that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

overshoot wrote: »
    Seen on our forum since Nugent is off to Galway. Wouldnt have minded him coming up the road
    He'll need a work permit so possibly needs to be full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Yup, he's a young lad from down the road. As peteed said, height can get him, but he's a good goalie. Experience is great for him, he'd possibly still be at bray if he didn't get injured that time.

We're happy to have him! Had a great second half of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Considering all the rumours that Rodgers was coming to Rovers with Meenan I think we dodged a bullet there. Don't rate him that highly at all. I know we've lost Hyland but much prefer Barry Murphy to both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Youths have re-signed Craig McCabe, great start. Should hopefully be a few more over the next few days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Youths have re-signed Craig McCabe, great start. Should hopefully be a few more over the next few days

Happy with that. Rarely has a bad game and goes quietly about his business. Youths to the core

Happy with that. Rarely has a bad game and goes quietly about his business. Youths to the core

He's a gem really. I would've been pretty devastated if he'd went somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

overshoot wrote: »
    Seen on our forum since Nugent is off to Galway. Wouldnt have minded him coming up the road

Great signing for Galway if it happens. We would have dropped a good few points in the run-in if he wasn't our backup to Schling.

Hopefully this new lad from Derry can provide competition and do well if Schlingermann gets injured again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bray block Dundalk bid for Connolly
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/seagulls-block-dundalk-swoop-for-connolly-35264704.html

Would be surprised if Bray can hold onto him despite being under contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Brendan Clarke, Dave O'Connor and Ian Turner sign for Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Oat23 wrote: »
    Hopefully this new lad from Derry can provide competition and do well if Schlingermann gets injured again.

In fairness, he saved a penalty as a 16 year old in the first few seconds of his debut! Gallagher picked up a sickening injury which put him out for a while and gave him his chance. He did well on his few games but once Ciaran got back in he couldn't oust him and went to Derry. He hasn't really had a consistent run of loi games since that spell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Cork City have kept onto Maguire for next season. I expected it to be the case but to have it confirmed is fantastic news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

CHealy wrote: »
    Cork City have kept onto Maguire for next season. I expected it to be the case but to have it confirmed is fantastic news.

Sadlier is the next Rovers player on the list for Cork I have heard. Can your manager not find his own players?

Oat23 wrote: »
    Sadlier is the next Rovers player on the list for Cork I have heard. Can your manager not find his own players?

He does, all he has to do is take a 5 hour drive up to North West and it seems to be easy pickings.

In all seriousness though, would we not have to pay a fee for Sadlier? I know City done well in Europe this year but given our checkered past I know Foras are very slow to loosen the strings when it comes to budget for players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

I thought he would attracted interest from England. Perhaps he did and turned it down?

Strikers that can get 20 plus league goals do not grow on trees. Good business by Cork.

I thought he would attracted interest from England. Perhaps he did and turned it down?

Strikers that can get 20 plus league goals do not grow on trees. Good business by Cork.

Im led to believe that he had a couple of offers from England but nothing substantial enough to move across again, worth noting that he's seeing an absolute lasher here in Cork.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Im led to believe that he had a couple of offers from England but nothing substantial enough to move across again, worth noting that he's seeing an absolute lasher here in Cork.

Seems the same is happening with Horgan and Boyle. No club have put an offer they couldnt refuse yet.

I still expect both (and possibly Gannon to leave)

If i was a manager in UK, id be signing McEleney before any of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

That's the girl that was on The Voice UK 2 years ago, wasn't it!? Fair play to her for keeping him here!

Wise move from Maquire. Scored in the Fai Cup final. But his performances against the top teams in the LOI showed he was not yet ready to go back to England. Still young & if he improves next year as he did this season I think he will be ready to go back if he wants to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

MD1990 wrote: »
    Wise move from Maquire. Scored in the Fai Cup final. But his performances against the top teams in the LOI showed he was not yet ready to go back to England. Still young & if he improves next year as he did this season I think he will be ready to go back if he wants to.

In 11 starts in the league and cups against the other top four sides, he scored seven and set up two. This included a hattrick against Rovers (he also got an assist, so was centrally involved in four of the five goals in that 5-0), winners in two 1-0s against Dundalk and an assist in another 1-0 (he scored/assisted in four of five games against them). The only top four side that he hasn't really performed against was Derry, where he didn't score in three starts (he did come on against them in the League Cup, but was only on the pitch for ten minutes, so not really fair to judge him on that).

I agree that he's better off staying in the league another season, just like Daryl Horgan was the last couple of years. But to suggest he hasn't performed against the top sides isn't really accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    I agree that he's better off staying in the league another season, just like Daryl Horgan was the last couple of years. But to suggest he hasn't performed against the top sides isn't really accurate.

Apart from the performance against the Shamrock Rovers youth team in the cup, he didn't look like anything special against the top teams.

The best performance I saw from him was the Ghenk away game.

He needs to show that level of performance more consistently to progress in his career.

He is right to stay at Cork. He is playing every week and that is where he has the best chance of progressing.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    In 11 starts in the league and cups against the other top four sides, he scored seven and set up two. This included a hattrick against Rovers (he also got an assist, so was centrally involved in four of the five goals in that 5-0), winners in two 1-0s against Dundalk and an assist in another 1-0 (he scored/assisted in four of five games against them). The only top four side that he hasn't really performed against was Derry, where he didn't score in three starts (he did come on against them in the League Cup, but was only on the pitch for ten minutes, so not really fair to judge him on that).

Never said stats were not good scored a few penalty's in those games.

But his performances were not great when I saw him. Very poor against Dundalk in both games recently .Rovers were a shambles at the end of the season too.
    Maguire did have a very good season though & was good in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Lee Grace signs for Galway United (ex Wexford Youths)

http://galwayunitedfc.ie/lee-grace-signs/

Seven Worlds will Collide

Grace was very good with us last year, best of luck to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Can't say I'm pleased he's joined Galway. He would be an asset to any club in the Premier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Very pleased we've managed to nab Grace. Apparently Cork City were very keen (don't know what happened there??). Wexford fans have been singing his praises.

Very pleased we've managed to nab Grace. Apparently Cork City were very keen (don't know what happened there??). Wexford fans have been singing his praises.

The Cork offer may not have been compatible with his army career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

The Cork offer may not have been compatible with his army career.
    My understanding is he will be full time with GUFC. Not 100% sure on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Benson and kilduff resign with dundalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Benson and kilduff resign with dundalk

They will be a big loss to Dundalk.

Kevin O'Connor signs back with Cork City, another great scalp by City to keep onto him for another year. Squad coming together nicely now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Brendan Clarke from Pats to Limerick :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Are Limerick taking big financial gambles again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

kevin lynch re-signs with bray, had a great season

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

red sean wrote: »

I'd say Bray betting the house, but maybe they have money behind them. Read somewhere that Pat O'Sullivan is down €5m with Limerick since he started backing them. I would find that a bit hard to believe, you don't accumulate that kind of money by being stupid, so I'd say much less than that. The two guys that own Dundalk found that their own business was taking a back seat there for a while and they weren't able to give it as much attention as they normally would.

• Advertisement

joeysoap wrote: »
    I'd say Bray betting the house, but maybe they have money behind them. Read somewhere that Pat O'Sullivan is down €5m with Limerick since he started backing them. I would find that a bit hard to believe, you don't accumulate that kind of money by being stupid, so I'd say much less than that. The two guys that own Dundalk found that their own business was taking a back seat there for a while and they weren't able to give it as much attention as they normally would.

Who does own Dundalk? And with yer new found success, is there any talk of setting up a fans trust (Foras/400Club) to have an input should things go wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Talk of Dundalk breaking the transfer record fee for Connolly 100k+

My guess is Dundalk didn't pursue Fagan to save cash to get Connolly.
    Looks like they will get Hoare too. 2 very good young players with a lot of potential especially Connolly. I think Maxi Kougun at UCD is an even bigger talent that Hoare though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Talk of Dundalk breaking the transfer record fee for Connolly 100k+
    Sounds like rubbish to me. `
    British clubs probably wouldn't pay that for him, after all Ipswich let him leave only a few months ago.
    He`s a decent player but he`s only had one season in the LOI. Hardly a 100k+ player yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Doesn't sound right to me either. Money or no money SK will have a budget to stick to. Oriel is going to gobble up a lot of money. The club are after paying €440,000 to Louth Co Council in arrears of rates owed by Gerry Matthews on the white elephant that is the YDC. Can't see it happening, maybe €25k with a sell on clause inserted. There has been some changes during the 3 in a row but this team still cost buttons. Development fee payment to City for Horgan, around 10k to Pats for Kilduff and €25k to Derry for McEleney, as far as I know that's it, the rest were released by their clubs.
    Who does own Dundalk? And with yer new found success, is there any talk of setting up a fans trust (Foras/400Club) to have an input should things go wrong?

This is a good article on the club (bit out of date now) and the state it was in when the owners took over. And then the job they had to get Matthews off the stage, and then LCC looking for their cut......

http://www.fastfix.ie/product.html

The guys who own FastFix own Dundalk, Martin Connolly is Andys Brother. ( I think Martin played in goal at one stage for Sean O'Mahonys who are the Louth champions this year, and the O'Mahonys flag was flying in Oriel for the last few matches - I don't know what the GAA will make of that) I can't see the club being community owned in the immediate future.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/10/20/how-dundalk-fought-back-from-brink-to-join-elite-of-europe/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Rovers sign David McAllister and tie three of their teenagers down to professional contracts (Bolger, Dillon & Kiely). Don't know much about McAllister but seem to remember him playing very well for either Shels or Pats? Rovers will have a lot of competition in the middle of the pitch now with him, Corry, Lopes & Connolly all playing there. Wonder how they plan on lining up next season? Surely a striker is on their shopping list next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

red sean wrote: »

If playing players €1,000 in the First Div isn't a big enough financial gamble, I don't know what is!
    Don't know much about McAllister but seem to remember him playing very well for either Shels or Pats?

Was great with us, but bear in mind we were in the 1st Division and poor enough so he stood out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Looks like Horgan and Boyle are off. Dundalk will have another tough job next year trying to replace them. Hopefully they can get the win tonight to go out on a high

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

They keep replacing them though. I think the way they've operated so far doesn't make sense for them to pay 100k for Connolly when they've the pick of players. If they get through I'm sure a couple of players would see Dundalk as a place to themselves in a shop window next season.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement