Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Is Dooley signed for Cork for next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

MD1990 wrote: »
    Is Dooley signed for Cork for next season?

Nothing announced but I would expect so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Channel 423 right now for Sky customers looking to watch Maccabi vs Dundalk in the Europa League. Eir Freeview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

Chris Kenny any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

sligolad1 wrote: »
    Chris Kenny any good?
    very limited.Game mainly based on work rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

wadacrack wrote: »
    very limited.Game mainly based on work rate

Sounds like Robertson's type of player!

Sounds like Robertson's type of player!
    It was all Robertson talked about in this interview talking about Kenny. Seems obsessed with work rate & giving 100%
    Dave Robertson has continued to grow his squad for the 2017 season with Chris Kenny joining from Wexford Youths.
    He first talked about the attributes which he is looking forward to Kenny bringing to the team.
    He is a central midfielder who will bring an abundance of energy to the team. He also has a great competitive spirit. Chris has the energy to get forward into the box and score goals.
    He is also dominant in the air. He has played centre-half in his career but I see him more in the midfield for with us. He will give us the tenacity that we need in midfield as well as adding goals.”
    The signature of Kenny ends a near year-long pursuit for Robertson since first spotting the talents of Kenny:
    “Securing Chris is a magnificent signing for us. He is another target who is right for what we need. I identified him early last season in a pre-season friendly when he played for the Defence Forces against us at The Showgrounds. He is a player that I have definitely followed since. He will add quality in the midfield area and also adds needed energy.”
    Robertson is confident that this move can enhance the career of the 26 year-old:
    “When we bring players here we want to make sure that they are right for us as people and as footballers. And I know that Chris comes from a good background. He has a great work-rate and hunger and comes with a real desire to be successful. He will be improved by coming here and playing with better players. I am really excited to have him here, he is someone who will give us 100%.”
    http://www.sligorovers.com/news/16/dec/robbo-really-excited-kenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

He's a good physical player, but limited in terms of passing, technique, vision, etc. Can play centre mid or centre half.

The Bit O Red forum seem to have made their mind up about him already anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Most of the lads on that bitored forum are mad. Don't really understand the criticism Liam Martin gets from a lot of them. You'd think after the sh*te we had to put up with in 2015 they would have been grateful to see a lad out there running himself into the ground for 90 minutes all season.

That said, I don't want 11 Liam Martins on the pitch. We badly need to add a passer in the middle of the pitch. Keohane is gone. Roddan and Kenny are not that guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Chris Kenny any good?

Absolute deal of the transfer window, without a shadow of a doubt....... for Chris Kenny

Very hard working player. Gives everythimg

• Advertisement

Not a contradiction to appreciate having 1 workhorse in the team, but not wanting 11 of them on the pitch.

Also worth noting Chris Kenny was another of our Defence Forces players. Might have been a plus for Robertson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Stephen Folan has re-signed with us, really good news, was excellent the first half of last season before injuries hampered him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Surprised there's been nothing said on here about Stephen McGuinness' comments that "Wexford Youths, and teams like that, should not be allowed into the Premier Division".

If that's the mentality of people running football in this country it's no wonder its fcuked...

Youths earned their promotion and deserved their place at the time.

I accept that he's obviously interested in maximising the number of pro's playing in Ireland but who does he want to pay for it or should all clubs just run themselves into the ground. Off the wall stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

howiya wrote: »
    Surprised there's been nothing said on here about Stephen McGuinness' comments that "Wexford Youths, and teams like that, should not be allowed into the Premier Division".

If that's the mentality of people running football in this country it's no wonder its fcuked...

I accept that he's obviously interested in maximising the number of pro's playing in Ireland but who does he want to pay for it or should all clubs just run themselves into the ground. Off the wall stuff

A bizarre comment alright particularly from the head of the Professional players association (don't let their name fool you they represent anyone that pays them a sub).

You`ll hear similar comments about UCD. Even though they bring plenty to the league in terms of player development through education. They are also the most financially sound club in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

We're used to hearing crap like that over the years. First, it was that we had 'Youths' in our club name, then we were a hoofball team who had no place in the league. After that we were ridiculed for the colour of our shirts. Then we played the best football in the 1st Division in 2015, gaining promotion, and we're castigated for remaining amateur.

I'll accept discussion and argument that an amateur club is not sustainable in the Premier Division, but we are a full member in the League of Ireland and we deserve our place more than other clubs who give Stephen McGuinness's members professional contracts yet fail to pay them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

The Town will be down a few shekels having missed their flight home from Tel Aviv.Ill definitely throw a few bob into the pot if they re-route Super Ronan F"s flight through Mosel.

Boyle has joined Preston according to his agent, could make debut v Arsenal.

https://www.balls.ie/football/breaking-andy-boyles-agent-confirms-preston-move/354127

Bohemia squad looks very weak, few more signings badly needed

http://bohemianfc.com/?p=10628

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Aaron greene has joined bray

• Advertisement

Loss for Limerick. Greene is a good player although his work rate could improve.
    Bray will be up there. Fancy they could finish above Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Loss for Limerick. Greene is a good player although his work rate could improve.
    Bray will be up there. Fancy they could finish above Rovers.

Much rather someone like Chris Mulhall over Aaron Greene, while he is a good player he doesn't put the effort in enough and didn't perform in the big games when needed while Mulhall gives you 110% and finished joint top goalscorer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Not seen it mentioned, but Derry will be playing in Donegal next year, will be interesting to see what kind of support they get. Pity Celtic park couldn't be used. Buncranna has a league team for a season anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Not seen it mentioned, but Derry will be playing in Donegal next year, will be interesting to see what kind of support they get. Pity Celtic park couldn't be used. Buncranna has a league team for a season anyway.

Be interesting to see if the stoning of buses drops off the radar with the move?..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's Stephen McGuinness...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Cornwall safely gone to Bohs, I was afraid Rovers would re-sign him.

Gary McCabe signs for bray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Decent squad building there.

Bray look very strong, Connolly leaving tho I would imagine

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »
    Bray look very strong, Connolly leaving tho I would imagine

With the money being talked about we'd be crazy not to sell him

Youths have signed back Shane Dunne. Massive signing, he was so important to our First Division winning season. Last year Keegan became obsessed with having him on the wing, which never looked right at all. If Locke keeps him in the centre we'll be a strong team again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

June and Bray will most likely have an * ....

They already have a **** now that they've signed McCabe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

They`ll fully deserve it too.
    Its maddening to look at the likes of Drogheda and see the state their ground is in while then considering the money they were paying players a few short years ago.
    Bray are only going to end up the same way.
    I see zero scenario where their current owners lead them anywhere but to financial ruin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Hoare signs for Dundalk

• Advertisement

Decent signing for Dundalk. Hoare was poor at times last season but he has a lot of potential. I don't think he will be 1st choice though.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Can see it being a tough season for Bohs

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Don't know if that adequately replaces Boyle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

peteeeed wrote: »
    With the money being talked about we'd be crazy not to sell him

If you heir believe any club is going to pay half of the €100,000 nonsense the papers came up with, your off your head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

And Horgan to preston officially done

• Advertisement

Was always going to go somewhere. Big job to replace him. Connolly or Sadlier, depending on how much they want to spend.

I think Dundalk could go for Dooley if he is not signed for next season at Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Was always going to go somewhere. Big job to replace him. Connolly or Sadlier, depending on how much they want to spend.

I'd take both. Need at least two wingers. Right wing was a major problem for us last season and Horgan obviously needs to be replaced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Boyle and Horgan officially announced as signed by PNE Twitter page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Don't know if that adequately replaces Boyle.

Boyle is best centre half in the league so very difficult to replace him. Very happy with Hoare though. Bags of talent but seems to have lost his way a bit. The kind of player that Kenny usually moulds into one of the best in the league. Boyle was a bit part player at first division Shels when he signed for Dundalk

Dundalk currently have just one winger now with Mountney.
    They need 2 wingers for next season. I think they will probably have to pay a decent fee for Connolly as there isn't many other options in the league apart from Sadlier & Dooley. Unless they spot someone in England or abroad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Dundalk currently have just one winger now with Mountney.
    They need 2 wingers for next season. I think they will probably have to pay a decent fee for Connolly as there isn't many other options in the league apart from Sadlier & Dooley. Unless they spot someone in England or abroad.

Mountany isnt signed for next season, talk of him going to America! Would be no loss other than needing a new squad member.

McEleney played wide a lot this season although he is much better as a number 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I think McEleny will be a stand out player for Dundalk next season now with the limelight up for grabs. But theres no reason why Dundalk cant replace Horgan with same or possibly better with the money they have.

I really hope it works out for Horgan, he was a great pro at Cork City and was crucial in us getting back into the Premier Division. I was beyond pissed off when he went to Dundalk "to win more trophys", I said it would never happen........................less said about that the better. Think he'll be a big hit in the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

It is very hard to build and sustain a team capable of competing in Europe.

Once a team gets to a certain level, the stand out players outgrow the domestic league and move on.

The transfers of Boyle and Horgan will diminish Dundalk, I have no doubt about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

CHealy wrote: »
    But theres no reason why Dundalk cant replace Horgan with same or possibly better with the money they have.
    I can think of one reason. There is nobody out there available who is near his level. Horgan will be impossible to replace for the coming season anyway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement