Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

It is very hard to build and sustain a team capable of competing in Europe.

Once a team gets to a certain level, the stand out players outgrow the domestic league and move on.

The transfers of Boyle and Horgan will diminish Dundalk, I have no doubt about that.

At the same time, though, Dundalk made a hell of a lot of hay while the sun was shining. The money and reputation that they've gained from Europe might allow them to appear big enough to younger players to convince them to stay an extra few years, as well having the financial means to offer more than one year contracts for their better, established players. For younger players, this will mean more compensation if they leave later on (but before 23) and for established players on two year deals, it'll mean that English clubs will have to pay a fee.

What you say about stand out players outgrowing the clubs/league is true. But that's true of all but a handful of "elite" clubs in Europe. The difference is that they're in a strong enough position to make bigger teams pay well for their best and to re-invest the money to start it all over again. No reason why some LoI clubs, or Dundalk at least, wouldn't be capable of doing that on a smaller scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Don't know if it's true or not, but heard on the Chinese whisper circuit that a number of English clubs might 'loan' their fringe players to Dundalk to gain Champions League experience with Dundalk. I don't believe it as there is at least a 50:50 chance of an knockout in the second round. We were very unlucky unlucky with the later draws but we were lucky enough with the Icelandic draw. City did brilliantly to get past two rounds last year before knockout, but it gets harder from the 3rd onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Dundalk may be able to attract some players from England(on-loan). one of the benefits of the Europa League run. But they desperatly now need to sign two wingers with Horgan gone and Meenan. Mountney may also leave. Connolly and Dooley look the best options and I expect Dundalk to sign one of them. They might also look at signing an English u23 player on loan. Lot of talent in that league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The issue with getting quality players on loan from England is you need quality facilities.
    With all due respect to Dundalk no decent player is going to leave the comfort of an English youth academy to come play in a dust bowl like Oriel. Particularly when they`ll have options in the Championship/L1 or continental Europe where they'd play in a full time league with excellent facilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

The issue with getting quality players on loan from England is you need quality facilities.
    With all due respect to Dundalk no decent player is going to leave the comfort of an English youth academy to come play in a dust bowl like Oriel. Particularly when they`ll have options in the Championship/L1 or continental Europe where they'd play in a full time league with excellent facilities.

Sadly that is very very true. The quality of the facilities both in terms of stadia and training facilities are dreadful in most of the league.

Oriel is a poor, no denying it. New pitch for next season, Oriel itself outdated, and that's not going to change overnight. Training facilities are ok though, training directly behind Oriel in this video (around 1:16 you can see the rear of the YDC , which is behind 'D Shed'.

https://targetmcconnells.ie/work-post/every-step-of-the-way-with-fyffes-and-dundalk-fc/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Were fixtures not out today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Mushy wrote: »
    Were fixtures not out today?

The 19th I think

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Any new clubs?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Any new clubs?

Sporting Drumcondra, Real Mullingar, FC United of Castlebar and Isle of Man FC

You left out a few, Cashel Alexandra, Westport Wanderers, Portarlington SG and back with a new name our old friends at Bayern Monaghan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Pat Fenlon joins Meath Junior B Gaelic Football side Kilbride's backroom team.
    Odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Gavan Holohan to Galway United

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Robert Bayly to Shels....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Patww79 wrote: »
    Pat Devlin to Cabinteely.
    As Manager and Director of Football.

Or as it used to be called, Manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Odd.
    They must have a massive budget !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

red sean wrote: »
    They must have a massive budget !

Sure GAA is fully voluntary, no? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Stephen Kenny was at Glenavon V Carrick tonight, Wonder who he was watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Odd.

It's a 'casual' position, just taking a few fitness training sessions.

He'll be announced as manager of Waterford FC this week apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

blue-army wrote: »
    He'll be announced as manager of Waterford FC this week apparently.

I though he was meant to be Director of Football with some puppet manager appointed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

I though he was meant to be Director of Football with some puppet manager appointed?
    That could still be the case...
    Alan Reynolds was to be named manager, but there was apparently some delay related to his current job as community officer with the FAI. He'd be a great appointment - was assistant at Cork last season. Managed Waterford in '04 bringing them to the cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Stephen Kenny was at Glenavon V Carrick tonight, Wonder who he was watching

Return for Fabio on the cards?

:D

Moorhouse maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Harps have released their new home jersey & 3 year supply deal with Joma.
    Not sure if i like it or not yet ha - Link (original image is too big for here)
    If rumours be true, the flourescent away kit of the late 90s will also re-appear.

Dont know if its been on here either, sorted for keepers next year with Ciaran Gallagher re-signing and Harry Doherty coming in (ex ireland u19 keeper, Charlton, Brighton released him in summer) Brush could be headed for Ballinamallard

http://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2016/1202/836026-choose-a-sports-person-of-the-year/

Some great contenders this year

Dundalk up against it this year, Stephen Kenny has a chance, but Daryl Horgan has no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Cabinteelys owner saying he wants to make them the biggest brand in Irish football or something along those lines. He certainly has a long way to go anyway, they are going part time as of this season. A lot of clubs with big plans for next season, Limerick, Cabinteely, Bray, Galway, Waterford.. I have a bad feeling our old friend '*' is going to be making an appearance by this time next year.

Cabinteelys owner saying he wants to make them the biggest brand in Irish football or something along those lines. He certainly has a long way to go anyway, they are going part time as of this season. A lot of clubs with big plans for next season, Limerick, Cabinteely, Bray, Galway, Waterford.. I have a bad feeling our old friend '*' is going to be making an appearance by this time next year.

I think Limerick and Galway will be fine. Bray will do really well but whether that will pay for the investment only time will tell. Waterford can only improve, Cabo ? Paper never refuses ink, so give them credit for any publicity they generate. All joking aside we need 2 new entrants in the 1st division, and the FAI/LOI should actively be encouraging any new members by reducing fees, increasing prize money and actively promoting the division (for example Soccer Republic should at least show the goals from 1st division, it's not brain surgery to upload video from local areas, last season we had Youths on our screens every week, this season completely ignored)

I have the same feeling. It all has an air of groundhog day about it. Foreign tax exiles, New Dublin clubs spending big, clubs with big new stadium plans...... I half expect to turn on the TV and see Gavin Lambe-Murphy telling me I'm a no body if I don't own at least 5 pairs of E2,000 Prada loafers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Waterford linked to Mark O'Sullivan & Drennan.
    O'Sullivan would be some signing. Would score at least 15 goals in the 1st division.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Rovers sign two goalkeepers today, Kevin Horgan from Galway and Toner Chenkinski from Helsingborg in Sweden, he has 1 cap for Canada. Whenever a League of Ireland team signs someone so out of the blue I can't help but wonder how did they hear about him or see him play in the first place. Can't imagine they were sending scouts over to Sweden too often to watch him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

I can't speak for any other club, but Galway United are running off a similar budget to last season and that would be at the lower end of the Premier Division, perhaps only ahead of Finn Harps, Drogheda United and Bohemians.

Keegan has done very well in the market so far, but we've only signed 10 players and we've lost our best player (Ryan Connolly) to Shamrock Rovers and one of our most promising players (Kevin Horgan), because we could get nowhere near what they were offering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Rovers sign two goalkeepers today, Kevin Horgan from Galway and Toner Chenkinski from Helsingborg in Sweden, he has 1 cap for Canada. Whenever a League of Ireland team signs someone so out of the blue I can't help but wonder how did they hear about him or see him play in the first place. Can't imagine they were sending scouts over to Sweden too often to watch him!

Chenkinski played for the same team that Rovers played in Europe last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

What the hell is this thing Daniel McDonnell is at tonight?

https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan

I'm hoping our strategic plan presentation later tonight is better than whatever the f*ck they were presenting in Dublin earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

There was an open presentation of the League re-branding at the Aviva today. Only thing of interest I've seen was that they're giving the league a new logo. And apparently the presenter is into buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

What is that about "stubborn siblings"?

It looks like a terrible, terrible, amateurish way of doing anything. It also doesn't shock me either!

Hey folks, the league "is cool"! Imagine coming up with that presentation, must've been the young guy on work experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Continuing to read the reports on twitter (why they don't publish the entire report on their website for all club volunteers - we all know why), it was quite a bit worse than I initially thought. The continued lack of respect for the fan community who keep the whole show up and running is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

In other words, if the LOI could swap it's fans for those who follow rugby, all problems would be solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Oat23 wrote: »
    What the hell is this thing Daniel McDonnell is at tonight?

https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan

I'm hoping our strategic plan presentation later tonight is better than whatever the f*ck they were presenting in Dublin earlier.
    They want a EA Sports tournament on the big screens at half time in LOI games lol :p

They are really targeting the important issues in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

An absolute car crash from start to finish. They don't give a **** about the league, well we knew that already but this is about as close to confirmation as there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Corholio wrote: »
    An absolute car crash from start to finish. They don't give a **** about the league, well we knew that already but this is about as close to confirmation as there is.

No no no you're wrong. They are in fact the greatest fans of the League. It said so in the independent report so it must be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Just seeing some of the tweets about that event, I can't imagine Delaney will want to associate himself with that crap. The person who wrote that report is stealing a living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

In other words, if the LOI could swap it's fans for those who follow rugby, all problems would be solved.
    didnt rugby have the exact same issue? there was **** all fans until we started winning things. So all we have to do is win a few European cups...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

overshoot wrote: »
    didnt rugby have the exact same issue? there was **** all fans until we started winning things. So all we have to do is win a few European cups...
    As long as there are only 12 other clubs competing and we don't mind killing our domestic club game it's a fine example to follow.

Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Sava signs a new contract at Dundalk, just after Rogers signs one. An indication that no more keepers will be coming in? If so it's a silly decesion in my opinion. The two keepers cost Dundalk countless times in tight matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

I've heard rumours that we are going to a 10 team Premier Division for 2018. Any one else hear anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

I've heard rumours that we are going to a 10 team Premier Division for 2018. Any one else hear anything?

It's in the Irish Times today as a quote from France Gavin, it's been looked at in the AGM on Tuesday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

kksaints wrote: »
    Just seeing some of the tweets about that event, I can't imagine Delaney will want to associate himself with that crap. The person who wrote that report is stealing a living.

7k per speech?! Fcuk me :rolleyes:

I'll be out painting bus stops blue and white for the Harps tomorrow, that should solve any problems the club has.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement