Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

Hilarious, the FAI hire someone to announce that the chants are getting to them, in an effort to stop them. Oh that'll work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Hilarious, the FAI hire someone to announce that the chants are getting to them, in an effort to stop them. Oh that'll work!

Not only that, they pay him more than they're paying each club for the '5 year plan' to do it. Laughable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

What I wanna know is are these gaming tournaments gonna be on Xbox or PlayStation, more of an Xbox man myself and would rather my own joy pad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I'm sure Bus Eireann would be very impressed if someone started painting their bus stops anything other than their corporate colours
    like Mr Gombeen suggested.
    Another waste of money that started off praising our dear Leader like it was North Korea. Pathetic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

red sean wrote: »
    I'm sure Bus Eireann would be very impressed if someone started painting their bus stops anything other than their corporate colours
    like Mr Gombeen suggested.
    Another waste of money that started off praising our dear Leader like it was North Korea. Pathetic!

I also think Cork City Council, and the various other councils around the country would have something to say about ripping up their footpaths and putting in LOI style Hollywood boulevard stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

CHealy wrote: »
    I also think Cork City Council, and the various other councils around the country would have something to say about ripping up their footpaths and putting in LOI style Hollywood boulevard stars.

Can see SDCC putting in former SR heroes, (who wouldn't know Tallagh existed) on the footpaths outside Tallagh Stadium.

NOT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

fullstop wrote: »
    7k per speech?! Fcuk me :rolleyes:

Brace yourself.
    That's his rate for one speech.

The FAI hired him for 12 weeks.

Brace yourself.
    That's his rate for one speech.

The FAI hired him for 12 weeks.

FFS, where is D'Medgia in all this. Deafening silence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

He's blocked every LOI fan on twitter that had an opinion. Con Artist!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

What I wanna know is are these gaming tournaments gonna be on Xbox or PlayStation, more of an Xbox man myself and would rather my own joy pad.

You need to bring your own giant screen also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

The Gabay report is online here - http://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/images/League_of_Ireland_Brand_Report_-_Jonathan_Gabay.pdf

TL;DR

The first 38 pages are absolute rubbish. Seriously critical of Irish football fans and volunteers, and gives the FAI the arse-kissing of a lifetime. Steals material from Extratime articles. Bizarre stuff at times. It is very clear that he genuinely knows nothing about football, in this country or anywhere else.

38-43, some very good, highly detailed suggestions about how to improve club-FAI relations. Wonder where he nicked them from.

43 onwards, pie-in-the-sky nonsense and back to worshiping the FAI, thanking them for the sun rising.

Quite confused by his ratings of club shops. How is Shamrock Rovers's shop poorer than Dundalk's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Cheers for posting that. Only got to page 50 (will get through the rest tomorrow), but it definitely isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be judging by the reaction on twitter. It is presented terribly - so many spelling mistakes and in how it is formatted, and this guy comes across as a bit of an eejit too in a lot of what he is saying, but I haven't read too many outrageous parts yet. Some of the words he uses to describe fans early on are a bit offensive and he seems to have a particular hatred towards flares, but I was expecting worse.

I will read the rest tomorrow and post again.

Just finished reading it all, some of my thoughts after taking it all in;

1) As an official document, the grammar, spelling, consistency and lay out is awful. I don't know how they released it the way it is, as someone else had said it is like a bad college project.

2) He seems very anti-flares and some of the words he uses to describe fans at the start could easily rub people up the wrong way.

3) He does a lot of licking up to the FAI and neglects some of the big issues in the league.

4) I feel as if the majority of fans who have read this have solely focused on the negatives. There are some decent suggestions in there too and overall I think his point is that there needs to be a more professional and family friendly perception of the league.

5) A lot of the bad points were blown out of proportion. Ideas like painting bus stops, having a dedicated league bus and giant TV screens were all minor points throughout the report. From reading social media you would get the impression these were his only suggestions.

Of course I am a LoI fan and a big supporter of football in this country, but the reaction to this report almost backs up Delaneys "problem child" analogy and the "Us vs Them" by Gabbay. Yes it is not good enough but it's almost as if the clubs, fans, reporters etc have a go at the FAI at every opportunity and try to make the relationship worse.

I can see I'm definitely in the minority here so maybe I'm the one who is wrong but just thought I'dd throw out a different side of the argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Just finished reading it all, some of my thoughts after taking it all in;

1) As an official document, the grammar, spelling, consistency and lay out is awful. I don't know how they released it the way it is, as someone else had said it is like a bad college project.

2) He seems very anti-flares and some of the words he uses to describe fans at the start could easily rub people up the wrong way.

3) He does a lot of licking up to the FAI and neglects some of the big issues in the league.

4) I feel as if the majority of fans who have read this have solely focused on the negatives. There are some decent suggestions in there too and overall I think his point is that there needs to be a more professional and family friendly perception of the league.

5) A lot of the bad points were blown out of proportion. Ideas like painting bus stops, having a dedicated league bus and giant TV screens were all minor points throughout the report. From reading social media you would get the impression these were his only suggestions.

Of course I am a LoI fan and a big supporter of football in this country, but the reaction to this report almost backs up Delaneys "problem child" analogy and the "Us vs Them" by Gabbay. Yes it is not good enough but it's almost as if the clubs, fans, reporters etc have a go at the FAI at every opportunity and try to make the relationship worse.

I can see I'm definitely in the minority here so maybe I'm the one who is wrong but just thought I'dd throw out a different side of the argument.

I've read quite a bit of it too and if I'm honest I don't quite share your thoughts on the reaction to it. Your point 3, of licking up the F.A.I. and ignoring, completely ignoring that is, the big issues in the league is the most important point and seems to fail addressing that completely. People have a go because this report is a million miles away from where it needs, and to be honest, where it should be by now. The 'minor' points were blown out of proportion because a lot of the rest had very little substance, these ideas stood out for a reason imo.

His idea for return of club promotion officers was good, but was then dulled by the idea of having third level students take up these positions with clubs. Gavin has already gone to pains to say it's only 'his view' of things as well, already furthering themselves from it a bit. He mentioned loads about clubs within the brand but very little about the F.A.I's role within it, not much talk of more transparency, investment etc. This was Gabay's first report working with a football association, and to be honest it shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Had a bit of a perusal of the report there. Most of what I saw was just repeating what we already know. The arse licking of the FAI however makes it pointless and it was frankly pathetic. Making the supporters seem like ungrateful arseholes because they are criticizing the FAI is a good example of this . A report that isnt critical of the FAIs role in the state of the league is worthless.

A useful one would be warts and all, regardless of whether the FAI is paying the bill. If they were serious about fixing the league they'd be willing to take the criticism on the chin. JD's ego wont allow that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Had a bit of a perusal of the report there. Most of what I saw was just repeating what we already know. The arse licking of the FAI however makes it pointless and it was frankly pathetic. Making the supporters seem like ungrateful arseholes because they are criticizing the FAI is a good example of this . A report that isnt critical of the FAIs role in the state of the league is worthless.

A useful one would be warts and all, regardless of whether the FAI is paying the bill. If they were serious about fixing the league they'd be willing to take the criticism on the chin. JD's ego wont allow that.

He refers to LOI fans as "Down Market".

He also spends a lot of time openly mocking clubs. In one part he speaks about clubs saying to him "Could you ask them to give us more money?". Apparently in his presentation he put up a slide with just the word "Mor€" (euro sign and all) when discussing this.

The whole thing is an utter joke and worse still it openly makes fun of clubs to have the cheek to ask for a little more financial support at a time when they are being asked to run 4 teams on a national basis.

Between this and the Conroy report, both have been amateurish and missed key points of interest such as:
    How does the league get more women and children in the gate?
    How are leagues in similar countries around Europe and the world
    succeeding in dealing with challenges that the LOI is struggling with?
    What would make a full time league sustainable here?
    What would make the league attractive to large corporate sponsors?

An A4 page with concrete answers to those 4 questions would have been of far more use than the 200 or so pages of waffle and "Independent reports" produced so far.

In the past week alone the GAA have announced a €60 million TV deal and a €7 million player fund.
    The IRFU are pushing ahead with hosting the biggest event in their sport.
    Meanwhile, the FAI still have their thumbs stuck up their bum patting themselves on their backs. The other two are so far ahead of them in everything they do you'd really have to wonder what the future of our international football side will be.

There are little things in the report I disagree with obviously but overall I found myself agreeing with most of the stuff he said, although absolutely none of it was groundbreaking stuff (which maybe it should have been). He makes a lot of points in the report that have been discussed on here and by other LoI fans, they are all basic ideas but the bottom line is to make the league seem more professional and appealing to people from the outside. I doubt he was in a position to tell the FAI you need to invest heavily in the league, but he does highlight a lot of areas that need to be improved and you would think the only way things like facilities, extra staff, better conditions for players, marketing campaigns etc will be done is by more money from the FAI. I would think it is up to the FAI now to put their money where their mouth is and provide the clubs with money to do these things.

The questions you bring up topmanamillion are all valid points that need to be addressed in order for the league to succeed but I would think that is the FAIs responsibility rather than this Gabbay chap. They are questions we have all been asking for years so I don't think anyone they brought in from the outside was going to be able to come up with solutions overnight, it is the FAIs job to solve these issues. I think he makes some realistic suggestions that would be doable in the short term without drastic change? But drastic change is probably what is needed and what every supporter and club want in fairness.

The real frustrating thing is the FAI have hired external people for the Conroy report and for this, just to point out what everyone knows is wrong. The FAI are really the only ones who can change it, so no matter who they get to do different reports the buck stops with them and if the league is ever going to progress it has to be done by the men at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

Keith Ward supposedly signed for bohs

joeysoap wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2016/1202/836026-choose-a-sports-person-of-the-year/

Some great contenders this year

Dundalk up against it this year, Stephen Kenny has a chance, but Daryl Horgan has no chance.

Do we get to see the actual number of votes at any stage? Some terrific nominations this year, anyone of 4/5 worthy winners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

http://braywanderersfc.ie/connolly-commits-wanderers/

Great news for Bray to get Connolly resigned on a new 2 year deal.
    I think they could challenge Dundalk & Cork next season.

MD1990 wrote: »

Must have taken big money to persuade Connolly to sign a new two year deal to stay at Bray. Have they got a rich uncle somewhere that they are splashing the cash like this, surely they would have to win the league and hope for run in Europe to cover the losses they are about to encounter if they even make it to 2019 that is.

Yeah you would think Bray will be in trouble if they dont make the top 4.

Rovers look stronger, Derry have some great young players improving and Sligo should improve considering they had many players new to the league last season.
    Pats need Fagan to stay fit but still have a decent squad and very good underage sides.
    Going to be a very competitive league next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Must have taken big money to persuade Connolly to sign a new two year deal to stay at Bray. Have they got a rich uncle somewhere that they are splashing the cash like this, surely they would have to win the league and hope for run in Europe to cover the losses they are about to encounter if they even make it to 2019 that is.

If Bray are competing with Dundalk for players then they could be in serious trouble. No way would he have stayed at Bray and signed on for an extra season unless he was given a serious wedge. You'd really have to fear for their future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

If they manage to survive the season.

Rovers look stronger, Derry have some great young players improving and Sligo should improve considering they had many players new to the league last season.
    Pats need Fagan to stay fit but still have a decent squad and very good underage sides.
    Going to be a very competitive league next year.

Yeah top of the table looks like it could be very competitive this season but the bottom of the table has me very worried and Limerick's lack of recruitment.

Squad at the moment is weaker than the one that ran away with the first division apart from the goalkeepers and unless Russell pulls the finger out and gets the better players from last year signed and adds talent to the squad it's gonna be a long season in the relegation battle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Think Bohs are gonna have one of the lowest budgets next season, gonna be very tough.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

If I was Dundalk manager I would target Jamie McGrath.
    Not sure he is signed back with Pats though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Think Bohs are gonna have one of the lowest budgets next season, gonna be very tough.
    Considering it looks set to be 3 down next year going to be very hard for bohs, drogs and harps imo. Limerick havnt strengthened as much as expected either so may end up there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

As a bray fan we are not competing with Dundalk and I reckon Connolly will be with us for another season then sold for hopefully a nice hefty fee

overshoot wrote: »
    Considering it looks set to be 3 down next year going to be very hard for bohs, drogs and harps imo. Limerick havnt strengthened as much as expected either so may end up there too.

The way things are at the moment Limerick would be favourites for relegation. You here rumours of players the club are talking too but when they've only signed up half of the better players from last year's squad I wouldn't hold out much on the bigger names joining.

Gonna be a make or break season for Martin Russell and imo I think he'll get the sack before the season is over.

• Advertisement

Vital Finn stays at Dundalk. I think he could have some clubs in England interested in him.
    He was brillant last season.

Vital Finn stays at Dundalk. I think he could have some clubs in England interested in him.
    He was brillant last season.

He's 29 on Wednesday, not many (good) English clubs will take on someone that age.

Much more worried by talk both O'Connor brothers are leaving. Both have a lot of potential. Word is Michael to Sheff Utd and Ciaran to Sligo, IMO both are better players than Kilduff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

"The club are in a stable condition, I know that - I’ve met people in the club, I wouldn’t be worried. I see people on twitter and all that worrying, don’t be worried. There’s only one team in Wicklow, don’t worry things will be good, I know it.

They’ve got a new board and stuff in and they’ve got good backing, they don’t just make a 5-year plan with no money, there’s money here so for all the players that want to come down to Bray, come on down.”

Dylan Connolly, in an interview with 98fm.
    http://www.98fm.com/Dylan-Connolly-O...-Interested-Me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

"The club are in a stable condition, I know that - I’ve met people in the club, I wouldn’t be worried. I see people on twitter and all that worrying, don’t be worried. There’s only one team in Wicklow, don’t worry things will be good, I know it.

Keep saying it and you might believe it...

You do know he was quoting Dylan Connolly, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

He's 29 on Wednesday, not many (good) English clubs will take on someone that age.

Much more worried by talk both O'Connor brothers are leaving. Both have a lot of potential. Word is Michael to Sheff Utd and Ciaran to Sligo, IMO both are better players than Kilduff.
    Are they under contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

You do know he was quoting Dylan Connolly, right?

Yes...

reading the thread , seems quite a lot of people want bray to fall on their arse , we've signed 3 players and kept most of our squad from last year , not exactly man city spending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

peteeeed wrote: »
    reading the thread , seems quite a lot of people want bray to fall on their arse , we've signed 3 players and kept most of our squad from last year , not exactly man city spending
    I don't think anyone wants that to happen, but it's got a déjà vu feeling about it which naturally makes people sceptical. You've only signed 3 players and kept your current squad, but I'd be confident your wage bill has increased substantially.

peteeeed wrote: »
    Your five year plan is to leave your ground, which is in an ideal location, and move to an undetermined location. I'd be more worried about that than the signings so far.

Don't think anyone wants them to fail, we just expect it.

• Advertisement

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Your five year plan is to leave your ground, which is in an ideal location, and move to an undetermined location. I'd be more worried about that than the signings so far.

Don't think anyone wants them to fail, we just expect it.

was listening to the chairmen on the radio , the plan to leave the carlisle is a plan they hope will happen if things go well but nothing is concrete(for want of a better word) , the council are the ones that get the say on that

So the five year strategic plan is a wish list?

And if they don't sell the ground or make money in Europe who pays the wages?

AgileMyth wrote: »
    So the five year strategic plan is a wish list?

And if they don't sell the ground or make money in Europe who pays the wages?

well i think most clubs are presenting a 5 year plan , well who's paying the money for the players this year ? all this seems to be stemming from the rumours flying around that we were offering silly money for christy fagan which must mean he's getting silly money at st pats to stay or maybe the money was a rumour and nothing more

We'll see how it goes

I thought SK's speech on Saturday night was telling. Lost two terrific players, but taking part of his acceptance speech at face value I can only think he has players in mind to replace the DH and AB. The playing squad have undoubtably been weakened by the loss of such players, yet he is talking about progressing in the champions league.

Part of his speech;

"Obviously we qualified for the Europa League and had a great run this year and the next step is the Champions League. We have to think like that"

Interesting.

I think Dooley could end up at Dundalk now. Heard nothing about being resigned at Cork.

Dean Clarke signing back with Limerick, wasn t a bad player while here. Howd he do at Shams last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I think Dooley could end up at Dundalk now. Heard nothing about being resigned at Cork.

Could happen, closer to home for him aswell. Talk that he's waiting for an offer from England but thats pie in the sky stuff if Im being honest, no way is he good enough to go over. Should he stay Id also be expecting him to have a serious battle with Ogbene for that starting wing spot so might not be up to that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

CHealy wrote: »
    Could happen, closer to home for him aswell. Talk that he's waiting for an offer from England but thats pie in the sky stuff if Im being honest, no way is he good enough to go over. Should he stay Id also be expecting him to have a serious battle with Ogbene for that starting wing spot so might not be up to that either.
    Hes a much better player than Ogbene.Would be a big bow if he left Cork. he always impressed me when iv seen him at Derry and Cork.

• Advertisement

Dean Clarke signing back with Limerick, wasn t a bad player while here. Howd he do at Shams last season?
    Clarke is a decent player.
    But he was a terrible at Rovers. Very bad first touch & struggled to make a 5 yard pass in the last few months.
    He is better than what he showed but he was having an awful time.
    Not good young enough for a top 4 club.
    But he is a good signing for Limerick. He has pace & works hard. Needs to get his confidence back though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement