Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The curtain is ready to come down on 2016 and it could also mark the end for Stephen Kenny's all conquering, three-in-a-row winning Dundalk squad.

Daryl Horgan and Andy Boyle have already departed for Preston North End and while Dane Massey is expected to sign a new deal this week there are big question marks over Sean Gannon, Ronan Finn, Stephen O'Donnell, John Mountney and David McMillan who have yet to commit their future to the club.

Speaking on Monday, Kenny said that ‘success can change people' and he admitted that more players are expected to follow Boyle and Horgan through the exit door.

“We're in negotiations with a few players but it's a very strong possibility that we'll lose players to other clubs, maybe in the UK and the League of Ireland. It's something we'll have to contend with,” said the Dundalk boss.

“This season took its toll on everyone. In terms of the workload, the players and staff were shattered when it came to an end.

“Everybody needed a breather and sometimes when you get a season like we had, where you've almost achieved everything you can possibly achieve, people reflect and think ‘what else is there to do?'

“Success can change people,” he continued. “People start thinking about their jobs and their life outside of football and they start to look at other factors.

“From my point of view, we have to look and see why we were so successful and one of the reasons for that is that we don't take shortcuts or we don't compromise.

“When I was in my first year at Dundalk we turned down players because they wouldn't come and train here. We might lose a few quality players but we won't compromise or change our way of thinking.”

Sean Hoare is Dundalk's only new signing thus far but Kenny said that he was willing to be patient for the right players to come along and has extended his search beyond the League of Ireland.

“Last year it was pretty seamless in the sense that we only brought Robbie Benson and Patrick McEleney in.

“This year there might be a lot more changes and it won't happen overnight. We have until February 20 to finalise our squad but we will be strong regardless.”

One player who won't be joining Dundalk is Dylan Connolly. The 21-year-old signed a new contract with Bray Wanderers over the weekend but Kenny dismissed talk that Dundalk had refused to get into a bidding war with The Seagulls.

“Dylan indicated he was out of contract and we were given the impression he was too but when it emerged he had another year left Bray said they didn't want to sell. We didn't enter any negotiations with them so it’s not true to say we pulled out.”
    http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/sport/228271/kenny-more-players-will-leave.html

Sounds like the end of an era at Dundalk. Wouldn't be surprised if Bray are trying to sign one or two Dundalk players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

peteeeed wrote: »
    was listening to the chairmen on the radio , the plan to leave the carlisle is a plan they hope will happen if things go well but nothing is concrete(for want of a better word) , the council are the ones that get the say on that
    Have you read the 5 year plan?
    They talk about sweeteners for the council to concede the "only for sport" clause in the Carlisle lease.
    Everyone suspected it was a property play. The 5 year plan removed all doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

My predictions for the transfer window:

Finn and Gannon to move to England
    Dooley to Dundalk
    Mountney to Sligo
    Dundalk to sign someone from NI league
    Killian Brennan to Waterford.
    Drennan to Waterford.
    Kurtis Byrne St Pats
    Jake Kelly St Pats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'm surprised Finn never got a move to England, you would think this would really be his last chance, he has been a standout player in the league for a number of years now (he was at Cambridge as a teenager I believe). Gannon another standout player since moving to Dundalk, would deserve a move across too but he could wait another year either I would think. I'd say decent guesses for those transfers.

When are the league meeting to decide whether to go with 10 or 12 teams in 2018? In an ideal world, what 10 clubs would the FAI want in the top flight in terms of who can grow and establish themselves in the community and having football spread all over the country? I would think Dundalk, Cork City, Shamrock Rovers, Derry City, Sligo Rovers, Limerick, Galway United, Bohemians, St. Pats & Waterford maybe. If they are to go with 3 teams to get relegated this season and only 1 promoted the PD might not look too far off that come 2018..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

Were the fixtures meant to be out today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

sligolad1 wrote: »

Fixture guy took an early Christmas holidays and said he'll do them when he gets back in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

sligolad1 wrote: »

Fixture guy took an early Christmas holidays and said he'll do them when he gets back in January.

Is this real? Cos it wouldn't surprise me.

So...about that branding report!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Mushy wrote: »
    Is this real? Cos it wouldn't surprise me.

So...about that branding report!

Well it's just my opinion on what probably happened but you're right it wouldn't surprise me if it's the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

I'm surprised Finn never got a move to England, you would think this would really be his last chance, he has been a standout player in the league for a number of years now (he was at Cambridge as a teenager I believe).

Ronan Finn coming back to Rovers?

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/327847/dundalk-midfielder-ronan-finn-set-for-shock-move-to-former-club-shamrock-rovers/

Interesting if so, Rovers must be throwing money at him, can't see any other reason why he would leave. Going to be hard to replace him, not many midfielders in the league who are better..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

not many midfielders in the league who are better..

There are none.

Finn would be a bigger loss than Horgan.
    Huge signing for Rovers if it happens.

Dundalk are being sensible not spending above there means & investing in Oriel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Big blow to Dundalk if he goes anywhere. Lot to be said for a settled squad and they've a few to replace already.

Finn is gone to Rovers 100%

Dundalk may want to look at McNamee and McEnuff at Derry

Huge signing for Rovers, strange one though as they have already signed a lot of central midfielders in this window; Finn, Corry, McAllister, Lopes, Connolly all snapped up already, Miele is contracted too I believe? Very strong options to have but bound to be a few players not getting much game time. Daniel McDonnell said that Rovers have offered him a deal that will kickstart his career outside of football...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Delighted to see him back, was always a mistake to let him go.

Don't really get Kenny's whinge about success changing players. League of Ireland players have to look out for themselves, when they're getting 42 week contracts and no guarantees that they'll be kept at a club beyond the end of each season, you can't blame them if they go looking for a better deal. Offer players some stability and they'll stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Don't really get Kenny's whinge about success changing players. League of Ireland players have to look out for themselves, when they're getting 42 week contracts and no guarantees that they'll be kept at a club beyond the end of each season, you can't blame them if they go looking for a better deal. Offer players some stability and they'll stay.

Why do you think it is a "whinge"?

Players achieve all the success they wanted and then look towards new career and life goals.

Seems a reasonable observation.

Rumours O'Donnell & McMillan are leaving too possibly to Rovers.

I wonder how long Stephen Kenny will stay at Dundalk now? Be surprised if he hasn't had some job offers in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

MD1990 wrote: »
    http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/sport/228271/kenny-more-players-will-leave.html

Sounds like the end of an era at Dundalk. Wouldn't be surprised if Bray are trying to sign one or two Dundalk players.

End of a era, possibly, but unlike Bohs and Rovers we have full trust in SK, as long as Dundalk have Kenny we will be fine. Bit of rebuilding but that's the nature of the game. Odds on SK rebuilding another title winning team, ( not necessarily for 2017).......?

Agree with comment that Ronan must have been offered some wedge to prise him from Oriel. What is obvious at this stage is that Dundalk are not going to be held to ransom by clubs or players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

joeysoap wrote: »
    End of a era, possibly, but unlike Bohs and Rovers we have full trust in SK, as long as Dundalk have Kenny we will be fine. Bit of rebuilding but that's the nature of the game. Odds on SK rebuilding another title winning team, ( not necessarily for 2017).......?

Agree with comment that Ronan must have been offered some wedge to prise him from Oriel. What is obvious at this stage is that Dundalk are not going to be held to ransom by clubs or players
    Chris Shields will be a big player for Dundalk next season. Could be the new captain.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Mountney to Sligo

Our manager said the other night he wants 2 strikers and a CB to complete our squad, so unless Sadlier leaves (hope not) then I don't see us signing another winger.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Our manager said the other night he wants 2 strikers and a CB to complete our squad, so unless Sadlier leaves (hope not) then I don't see us signing another winger.

Ciaran O'Connor from Dundalk?

Oat23 wrote: »

How long would it take if they got Kenny back? (They won't) :D:D:D

joeysoap wrote: »
    Ciaran O'Connor from Dundalk?

Only place I have heard that is in this thread to be honest.

There's a forward in town to sign I have heard. Not a current LOI player so not O'Connor. Don't know who this foreigner is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Hes a much better player than Ogbene.Would be a big bow if he left Cork. he always impressed me when iv seen him at Derry and Cork.

Ogbene hasn't played that much to be fair to him, would have been involved lot more if not for him doing his leaving cert, definitely potential there.As for Dooley, he's a decent player but there'd be a few players ahead of him where it would be worse for City if they left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Owen Heary announced tonight at a meeting we have the second lowest budget in the 1st Div...

Rumours O'Donnell & McMillan are leaving too possibly to Rovers.

I wonder how long Stephen Kenny will stay at Dundalk now? Be surprised if he hasn't had some job offers in England.

Taking that at face value; Finn, O'Donnell, McMillan and Meenan to Rovers from Dundalk would leave Rovers with a very big squad and Dundalk with a fairly depleted squad. ( I thought O'Donnell was signed to 2018 ?)

True Meenan was out of favour and not in the starting 11 for some time, McMillan is some grafter and on his day as good as any, O'Donnell was the probably best captain we ever had (lot of niggly injuries but he leads by example) Finn will be hard to replace, covers acres of ground and is in his element at the top level.

If it is true all I can say is thanks lads, your were brilliant and you will genuinely not be forgotten. You were part of a superb LOI team and you did this club, this town and the LOI proud.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Wouldn't be very hard for Finn to settle back in the good books at Rovers. During the 2012/2013 seasons, he was pretty much the only player Rovers fans would not have a bad word for.
    Clarke is a decent player.
    But he was a terrible at Rovers. Very bad first touch & struggled to make a 5 yard pass in the last few months.
    He is better than what he showed but he was having an awful time.
    Not good young enough for a top 4 club.
    But he is a good signing for Limerick. He has pace & works hard. Needs to get his confidence back though.

I think that's fairly harsh, he did a good job imo. His control lets his hard work down and he was very often on the wrong wavelength on final balls and combining with the strikers. With DOC behind him as a left back when he was on the left wing, he was doing the creative work and legwork of two players.
    Huge signing for Rovers, strange one though as they have already signed a lot of central midfielders in this window; Finn, Corry, McAllister, Lopes, Connolly all snapped up already, Miele is contracted too I believe? Very strong options to have but bound to be a few players not getting much game time. Daniel McDonnell said that Rovers have offered him a deal that will kickstart his career outside of football...

Depends. Squad funds supposedly the same as last year. McPhail out, Murphy and Hyland out, North out, Cregg out, McCabe out, Cornwall was even on a fair chunk. There's probably a decent proportion of last year's funds available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Owen Heary announced tonight at a meeting we have the second lowest budget in the 1st Div...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Yes , Ronan Finn welcome back...if its true.....well even forgive him for blowing kisses at us when we congratulated him for scoring for Dundalk against us in Talla..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Hes a much better player than Ogbene.Would be a big bow if he left Cork. he always impressed me when iv seen him at Derry and Cork.

What have you seen of Ogbene if you dont mind me asking? Because Iv watched him since he was 15 playing schoolboy football with Everton AFC here in Cork and once he gets a season or two of regular senior football under his belt he is/will be 10 times the player Dooley is. And I say that as a fan of Dooley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Not a fan of Dooley. Wouldn't be too upset if he left in truth. I'd prefer he didn't leave for Dundalk though.

*these views are my own and not attributable to any other CCFC fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

In my opinion Finn is the best midfielder in the league so it is a massive blow for us to lose him and gives Rovers a decent shot at winning the league next year.

The only positive for Dundalk is we're not throwing mental money at players. Have heard some of the figures that players are looking for and we're best off letting them go and rebuilding. I'd much rather have a club in five years time even if it means not being as competitive while we rebuild

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

doncarlos wrote: »
    I'd much rather have a club in five years time even if it means not being as competitive while we rebuild
    But that's not the league of Ireland way!

Other LOI clubs seem to be carried away with Dundalk's success more than Dundalk themselves.

Gannon is gone too now I would think.
    But you can't criticize players joining other clubs for more money or in Finn's case to help get him set up for life after football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Did not see that Finn move coming at all. Thought he was going to be the main man next year. Big blow for Dundalk. He is a hell of a player. Big chance for Benson to step up and claim a regular spot for himself. Worrying whispers of even more players leaving. But as long as Stephen Kenny is still in charge come February we are most definitely still in with a shout of four in a row.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    But that's not the league of Ireland way!

I know and not the way I thought we'd go either. I honestly thought we were going to go all out to keep best players and strengthen. Unless Kenny can work his magic again and sign some unknowns and get them to play above themselves it could be a frustrating couple of years. However the foundations will be there for our long term future

doncarlos wrote: »
    I know and not the way I thought we'd go either. I honestly thought we were going to go all out to keep best players and strengthen. Unless Kenny can work his magic again and sign some unknowns and get them to play above themselves it could be a frustrating couple of years. However the foundations will be there for our long term future
    I know it's a blow losing three of our best players but in reality a team of Rogers, Gannon (if he stays), Barrett, Gartland, Massey, O'Donnell, Shields, Benson, New Signing, McEleney, McMillan/Kilduff will still be good enough to challenge for the league. Hard to see us challenging in Europe though unless Kenny finds somebody special. You need that bit of magic in your team when you step up for the bigger European games.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    I know it's a blow losing three of our best players but in reality a team of Rogers, Gannon (if he stays), Barrett, Gartland, Massey, O'Donnell, Shields, Benson, New Signing, McEleney, McMillan/Kilduff will still be good enough to challenge for the league. Hard to see us challenging in Europe though unless Kenny finds somebody special. You need that bit of magic in your team when you step up for the bigger European games.

I think Gannon is gone. I don't think he was a patch on the player he was in the first couple of seasons with us. If Keane stays and keeps injury free, I think he is an improvement.

Rumours McMillan and O'Donnell could be gone too.

Finn, Boyle and Horgan would have been on decent money with us so even if our wages remain the same we should have a good bit to spend. We probably need at least five new top level players. Not sure where they will come from. Only player I've heard us linked with is Graham Burke. Few whispers of Eoin Doyle and Jack Byrne but can't see either signing for a LOI club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Dundalks bench last season as the strongest I have seen in LOI in many years. Not ideal for them losing so many key guys, but the fellas who will step up and no fools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Whatever about trying not to go overboard with their spending, the players who earned all that money for Dundalk should be rewarded or at least should be offered contracts that aren't being easily trumped by other teams in the league. Heard about Gannon and if that's an indication of what's going on, there's going to be exodus.

CHealy wrote: »
    What have you seen of Ogbene if you dont mind me asking? Because Iv watched him since he was 15 playing schoolboy football with Everton AFC here in Cork and once he gets a season or two of regular senior football under his belt he is/will be 10 times the player Dooley is. And I say that as a fan of Dooley.
    Iv seen Ogbene play a number of times for Cork. Seen both the UEFA Youth games. He has great potential but only 19 still very raw. For next season cork need to keep hold of Dooley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Money's overrated.

Iv seen Ogbene play a number of times for Cork. Seen both the UEFA Youth games. He has great potential but only 19 still very raw. For next season cork need to keep hold of Dooley

Id like to keep hold of him but if he goes I wont be losing any sleep, I dont see him as a decider in if we win the league or not. If Dundalk are planning on replacing Horgan with Dooley then thats a gigantic step down for them.

Id like to keep hold of him but if he goes I wont be losing any sleep, I dont see him as a decider in if we win the league or not. If Dundalk are planning on replacing Horgan with Dooley then thats a gigantic step down for them.
    Famous last words! If I recall correctly you weren't too bothered to see Horgan leave Cork either! It's unlikely Dooley will ever reach Horgan's level but Kenny could well improve him to make him a very important player for Dundalk.

Pighead wrote: »
    Famous last words! If I recall correctly you weren't too bothered to see Horgan leave Cork either! It's unlikely Dooley will ever reach Horgan's level but Kenny could well improve him to make him a very important player for Dundalk.

Me personally? I was devastated when Horgan left us, everyone could see how good he was.

Me personally? I was devastated when Horgan left us, everyone could see how good he was.
    Haven't time to go digging but I remember you saying he was a bit of a headless chicken and you weren't too bothered to see him going.

Anyway, good news at last for Dundalk fans. Massey has confirmed he is staying. We'll have at least one player lining up for us next season anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

To be honest the players leaving seems like it couldnt be helped. If anything I am still more annoyed with the players we have resigned - namely Sava and in particular Rogers. That is an area we really should have been looking to improve

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement