Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I reckon we're still bottom of the bag on that score.

Guess again ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Guess again ;-)

This is gas!

The most competitive thing about the 2017 First Division will be clubs claiming to be poorer than the others

I feel yet another star coming on the Youths crest when we take the title :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

This is gas!

The most competitive thing about the 2017 First Division will be clubs claiming to be poorer than the others

I feel yet another star coming on the Youths crest when we take the title :D

:)

Limerick probably add one too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Stephen O'Donnell staying on with the champions for two more seasons. Great news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Pighead wrote: »
    Stephen O'Donnell staying on with the champions for two more seasons. Great news.

Important signing. His experience will be crucial if we have a few new rookies in the squad next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

important to have someone to kick the classy Rovers mid-field in Oriel next February

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

O'Donnell needs to stay fit. A 2 year deal shows Dundalk probably still have quite a bit of the European money left. With players leaving off the wage bill too I expect they will make some very good signings in January.
    Wouldn't be surprised if O'Donnell becomes Dundalk assistant manager to Vinny Perth in a few years when Kenny leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Where will they make these very good signings from?

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Where will they make these very good signings from?
    Still some players in Ireland. Jamie McGrath & Maxi Kougoun 2 very good young players I expect they will target. Possibly McEneff from Derry but that would be very unlikely as he is under contract .
    Can also target players in Northern Ireland,Scotland & Irish players in England as well someone like Graham Burke.

SK is in America, wouldn't be altogether surprised if he signed someone from the MSL, a lot and I mean a lot of those clubs in real financial trouble. Since taking in the job he has made some very good signings and no real poor ones I can think of. SK appears to 'think outside the box' too, who foresaw Dean Shiels and Alan Keane coming in as 'outside contract' players? Both were vital to the run in and Shiels got Europa League playing time. Talk he's looking at one player from NI and 3 from England. He is also very good a developing players potential.

• Advertisement

Other than Shiels he's signed very little from outside the country.

I would have thought Alan Keane was the definition of him not thinking outside the box actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

*2nd smallest according to Heary

Also a planned boycott of home games this season.

2017 could be the death of Shelbourne FC as we know them, the only thing keeping them going will be the liquidation of Accolade Ltd which makes Shels debt free in the next 6-8 months.

There is barely any point in fielding a team this year. You talk about a boycott but the season will effectively be over by the end of May. The ground will be empty anyway.

The mismanagement of the playing side of things has been shocking. There have been so many good players that have been at Shels over the years that never got a chance but went on to much bigger things.

Joe Casey being a Leeds fan, has this mad obsession with doing everything the opposite of Leeds. I get the feeling that every manager that has been here over the last few years has been given a free reign to do, play, sign and release whoever they want without question. Then there are managers who needed to completely f**k up before they are told to leave, as opposed to being proactive.

There is too much diddering at the club. Nobody wanting to make decisions, nobody wanting to be proactive or getting involved in team affairs. Always last to sign players after the season ends.

It wasn't too long ago when we were trading places with Dundalk, similar budgets, similar attendances, similar player pool and a last minute goal was the difference between us all season. Now look at them, with Andy Boyle, Brian Gartland and Darren Meenan (the latter 2 being "surplus" to requirements).

Another laughable incident were the likes of Chris Mulhall in the first division team of the year this year and nominated for player of the year. Remember him? Lucky to get a bit of injury time under Alan Mathews.

So many similar stores over the last few years. There has easily been a championship contending team through Tolka Park over the last 5-10 years but were misused or released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

So many similar stores over the last few years. There has easily been a championship contending team through Tolka Park over the last 5-10 years but were misused or released.
    I'm going to assume you mean FD Championship title and not a PD one.

Surely bankruptcy has hindered Shels ability to retain players.
    A cup final and a couple of seasons of PD football over the last 5 years is probably a decent return, all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

This is gas!

It felt brilliant to be amateur side that regularly thrashed pro/semi-pro journeymen. I look forward to more of the same next year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Oat23 wrote: »
    Adam Morgan is the player. Playing in the conference north at the minute. Ex-Liverpool youth & England U19 player.

Back in the UK now.

Moved within the conference north from Curzon Ashton to Halifax.

Hopefully Robertson can find a decent striker in the UK next month, because there's not much talent available within the league and we need two strikers.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Moved within the conference north from Curzon Ashton to Halifax.

Hopefully Robertson can find a decent striker in the UK next month, because there's not much talent available within the league and we need two strikers.

He has more clubs than senior goals at this stage. Something definitely not right with him. Why he wont give himself a chance to settle at a club is anyone's guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

He has more clubs than senior goals at this stage. Something definitely not right with him.

From the wiki it seems Colwyn Bay canned him for not showing up to a game. Thats a big enough red flag after the number of clubs he's had in the last year alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

It felt brilliant to be amateur side that regularly thrashed pro/semi-pro journeymen. I look forward to more of the same next year :)

What a disgrace McGuinness' comments about Wexford were.

That, then the lies he told about money owed to players recently.

What an odious man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

joeysoap wrote: »
    SK is in America, wouldn't be altogether surprised if he signed someone from the MSL, a lot and I mean a lot of those clubs in real financial trouble. Since taking in the job he has made some very good signings and no real poor ones I can think of. SK appears to 'think outside the box' too, who foresaw Dean Shiels and Alan Keane coming in as 'outside contract' players? Both were vital to the run in and Shiels got Europa League playing time. Talk he's looking at one player from NI and 3 from England. He is also very good a developing players potential.

Talking through your rear with the MLS comment, the NASL has a club or two in trouble e.g. NY Cosmos but none and I mean none of the MLS clubs are in trouble

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Happy Christmas LoI fans

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'm going to assume you mean FD Championship title and not a PD one.

Surely bankruptcy has hindered Shels ability to retain players.
    A cup final and a couple of seasons of PD football over the last 5 years is probably a decent return, all things considered.
    Somewhere in between really. Dylan Connolly, Andy Boyle, Brian Gartland, Darren Meenan, David McAllister, Lee Desmond, James Chambers, Paddy Madden, Kevin Dawson. A pretty good start.

Although I'm sure we'rer not the only ones who could make such a claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Bear in mind, we also sold someone to Ipswich (not Connolly, can't remember who it was) and were meant to receive a 5 figure sum which Shels never did...

Just musing this morning on the number of players who clubs recruit but who remain in the town/area when their playing days are over, Richie Blackmore was signed from Walsall in the 70's(lots of leagues cups) and still lives locally, the great Jim McLoughlin signed from Swansea, won league and cups with Dundalk, Derry, Rovers (Shels?) but still lives in Dundalk. Probably easier for players to settle in Dublin when playing days are over. There are more but I am curious did many players who signed for Sligo, City, Galway etc, over the years settle in the area after playing days were over?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Just musing this morning on the number of players who clubs recruit but who remain in the town/area when their playing days are over, Richie Blackmore was signed from Walsall in the 70's(lots of leagues cups) and still lives locally, the great Jim McLoughlin signed from Swansea, won league and cups with Dundalk, Derry, Rovers (Shels?) but still lives in Dundalk. Probably easier for players to settle in Dublin when playing days are over. There are more but I am curious did many players who signed for Sligo, City, Galway etc, over the years settle in the area after playing days were over?

Does Bobby Tambling count? I'm sure he still lives down in Crosshaven. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I've busting my brain , can anyone name a Dublin player in the modern era who has stayed with one club ? So say from 2000- 2016

There are loads of examples in Sligo. I met Joey Ndo in town recently. Richard Brush still lives here, even commuted to Dublin while playing for Shams. Anthony Elding stayed here a good while, don't know if he still is.

Plenty of examples going back further. We've always signed players from overseas and there are a good few still knocking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

AgileMyth wrote: »
    There are loads of examples in Sligo. I met Joey Ndo in town recently. Richard Brush still lives here, even commuted to Dublin while playing for Shams. Anthony Elding stayed here a good while, don't know if he still is.

Plenty of examples going back further. We've always signed players from overseas and there are a good few still knocking about.
    I mean playing for bohs, rovers , pats , shels, just seems lately the turnover of players is huge , Sligo , harps , cork, Derry the turnover is not as crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Phil Harrington is another one for us. He even re-signed and played a couple of games for us in 2005 when he was around 40 to cover for Devine being injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

peteeeed wrote: »
    I've busting my brain , can anyone name a Dublin player in the modern era who has stayed with one club ? So say from 2000- 2016

Peers spent 10 years with Sligo rovers before making the move this off season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Kevin Hunt if you only count Irish teams

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Dan Murray and Danny Murphy both English lads have settled down in Cork.

Going back a bit and Dave Hill still lives in Cork too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

peteeeed wrote: »

Best I can come up with is Derek Tracey, stayed with Rovers all of his career 1989-2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Alan Kirby in longford,married a local woman and lives there

What odds does it make how long a player/ex-player sticks around??
    Even Irish lads that have played English Premier League football end up coming home. They are millionaires with the choice to live anywhere in the world.
    Its pretty natural and is no reflection on the affection or lack of they have for a club they played for.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

* Not sure if this has been already posted *

http://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/images/League_of_Ireland_Brand_Report_-_Jonathan_Gabay.pdf

Has anyone read this Brand Report by Jonathan Gabay?

He raises some really interesting things in it... I wonder if the FAI will actually take note and implement some of the similar things suggested in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

* Not sure if this has been already posted *

http://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/images/League_of_Ireland_Brand_Report_-_Jonathan_Gabay.pdf

Has anyone read this Brand Report by Jonathan Gabay?

He raises some really interesting things in it... I wonder if the FAI will actually take note and implement some of the similar things suggested in it.

Welcome back from the dead! Yes it's been discussed and largely ridiculed on here around the time they presented it to the press. Probably two weeks ago now??

Which ideas would you like to see implemented?

howiya wrote: »

Which ideas would you like to see implemented?

Ah okay :pac:

Well his detailed failings on the website was hilarious!
    So I think every single one of them findings needs to be sorted before the end of next month.

The club shops and online LOI store stocking all clubs merch is good one.
    The Rovers online store is particularly bad for the countries most decorated club.

I like how he and the FAI have highlighted and put together a plan "strategic planning" and "stadium redevelopment". The FAI really need to get heavily involved with this one and help clubs get their stadia in line so that they can be family friendly and at a very basic level, clean working toilets.

A revert back to the traditional August to May season needs to be considered. Players going on the dole for Xmas is too much to ask of them. Whatever about better European performances, I think family has to come first and all LOI staff need to be earning over Xmas.

The community refocus is something that should be enforced. The league and FAI need to stop worrying about how to compete with EPL and free TV slots. The game needs to get back to community level. Saturday afternoon fixtures so that families can actually go to the games is something that I think needs to be looked at.

The advertising of the league on TV is another good point he raised. When games do get broadcast, the camera angles and stadium dressing is depressing. Singing sections and displays are often not in shot and anyone might show an interest in watching a televised game is looking at a beat up old stadium with no one in it...

Fans of the EPL and televised football are never gonna be won over and suddenly commit themselves to the LOI. In order to start getting better gates at games, the FAI and the clubs need to start focusing on making the local match day a better day out for local families. Facilities and clean environments at the ground are essential and funding should be made available every season to make it happen.

So in answer to your question... I'd like to see all the above implemented :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Ah okay :pac:

Well his detailed failings on the website was hilarious!
    So I think every single one of them findings needs to be sorted before the end of next month.

The club shops and online LOI store stocking all clubs merch is good one.
    The Rovers online store is particularly bad for the countries most decorated club.

I like how he and the FAI have highlighted and put together a plan "strategic planning" and "stadium redevelopment". The FAI really need to get heavily involved with this one and help clubs get their stadia in line so that they can be family friendly and at a very basic level, clean working toilets.

A revert back to the traditional August to May season needs to be considered. Players going on the dole for Xmas is too much to ask of them. Whatever about better European performances, I think family has to come first and all LOI staff need to be earning over Xmas.

The community refocus is something that should be enforced. The league and FAI need to stop worrying about how to compete with EPL and free TV slots. The game needs to get back to community level. Saturday afternoon fixtures so that families can actually go to the games is something that I think needs to be looked at.

The advertising of the league on TV is another good point he raised. When games do get broadcast, the camera angles and stadium dressing is depressing. Singing sections and displays are often not in shot and anyone might show an interest in watching a televised game is looking at a beat up old stadium with no one in it...

Fans of the EPL and televised football are never gonna be won over and suddenly commit themselves to the LOI. In order to start getting better gates at games, the FAI and the clubs need to start focusing on making the local match day a better day out for local families. Facilities and clean environments at the ground are essential and funding should be made available every season to make it happen.

So in answer to your question... I'd like to see all the above implemented :cool:

Saturday games at 3! Don't know if your serious

Saturday games at 3! Don't know if your serious

I'm semi-serious... considering televised football is now on Friday nights, Saturday morning, afternoon and evening, Sunday morning and afternoon and Monday night...

Why not have our own local fixtures at a time of the week that suits everyone to attend? No matter what the league goes with, it's gonna clash with EPL/GAA/Rugby etc etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

It's all about free wifi! Throw that into each stadium and the people will come! :D :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'm semi-serious... considering televised football is now on Friday nights, Saturday morning, afternoon and evening, Sunday morning and afternoon and Monday night...

Why not have our own local fixtures at a time of the week that suits everyone to attend? No matter what the league goes with, it's gonna clash with EPL/GAA/Rugby etc etc.

Friday nights haven't really been taken over by televised football just yet. If that were to happen then maybe it'd need to be looked at.

I think attendances could be even worse it they were at 3pm on a saturday.

MD1990 wrote: »

Probably... But I think FAI/LOI/Clubs need to refocus their thinking and focus on getting families through the gates instead of competing with TV teams.

Like isn't the whole thing about getting out to support your local team and get a feel for real football?

Surely a weekend day or afternoon kick off time would suit best to facilitate that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Our attendances absolutely tanked when we switched to Sunday afternoons for half a season. Lost more than half of our gate and the atmosphere was horrific.

A big part of the problem with the report was that he's completely putting lipstick on a pig. It's not the camera angles that are important, it's that the facilities are dreadful in the first place.

CSF wrote: »
    Friday nights haven't really been taken over by televised football just yet. If that were to happen then maybe it'd need to be looked at.

There has been Scottish/Spanish/Dutch/Italian/French games on TV every Friday this years!

There has been Scottish/Spanish/Dutch/Italian/French games on TV every Friday this years!
    There has but it is nearly always the least appealing fixtures played on a Friday in these leagues.
    A great starting point for the League would be if a League game was shown live every Friday. I think it would be great if Eir Sport struck a deal to show a game every Friday & have it on freeview. Probably very unlikely to happen.

There has but it is nearly always the least appealing fixtures played on a Friday in these leagues.
    A great starting point for the League would be if a League game was shown live every Friday. I think it would be great if Eir Sport struck a deal to show a game every Friday & have it on freeview. Probably very unlikely to happen.

Live TV games (unless top of the table clashes, Derby games) affect attendances so i wouldn't agree with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Definitely, 3pm kick off would clash with alot of youngsters playing sports on a Saturday and in Limerick the local schoolboy council would probably move games back an hour to stick it to Limerick as there's a massive us vs them attitude with school boy/junior football towards Limerick.

Remember on the first night when Limerick played cork in thomond park the school boy council organised one of their meetings for the same time as kick off even though the meetings normally dont start until 7.30 or 8 and then fined clubs who didnt show up and went to the Limerick game instead. Season just gone the junior council organised matches during the good weather period to have the same kick off times as limerick games.

Definitely, 3pm kick off would clash with alot of youngsters playing sports on a Saturday and in Limerick the local schoolboy council would probably move games back an hour to stick it to Limerick as there's a massive us vs them attitude with school boy/junior football towards Limerick.

Remember on the first night when Limerick played cork in thomond park the school boy council organised one of their meetings for the same time as kick off even though the meetings normally dont start until 7.30 or 8 and then fined clubs who didnt show up and went to the Limerick game instead. Season just gone the junior council organised matches during the good weather period to have the same kick off times as limerick games.

This is the type of **** the FAI need to take control off and administer.
    Running football in Ireland shouldn't be limited to the top two tiers, it should be from the very top to the very bottom of the senior game. Professional, semi-professional and amateur. Senior and junior.

The Us vs Them attitude is all to common in Ireland, especially in football and I seriously think the game is bordering on terminal, unless a community effort to grow the game together as a whole is implemented.

Live TV games (unless top of the table clashes, Derby games) affect attendances so i wouldn't agree with that!
    Dundalk's 2 biggest attendances last season were live on tv. Cork's best 2 attendances were also live on tv. Galway's best attendance was live on TV also. Extra Time had an article on this a few months ago showing live games on TV has little impact on attendances.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement