Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

MD1990 wrote: »
    There has but it is nearly always the least appealing fixtures played on a Friday in these leagues.
    A great starting point for the League would be if a League game was shown live every Friday. I think it would be great if Eir Sport struck a deal to show a game every Friday & have it on freeview. Probably very unlikely to happen.

I think the opposite. The League should look to put together a package of 10 games that are most likely to get high viewership. Sell them to the highest bidder. If they bring in 20k and 25 the next year at least its a start. After the clubs shown are looked after anything left over could be put in the prize pot. It would show the league at its best: European and title challenges, Derbies, FAI cup semis and finals etc.
    Being on TV should be a coveted prize by clubs not something to bitch about because it effects attendances.
    There could be a system where stadia are graded as "TV stadia" i.e only the better ones get on telly.

Also, When RTE were willing to pay E4 million not to show any LOI games, surely they`d be willing to pay to show less!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

peteeeed wrote: »
    I've busting my brain , can anyone name a Dublin player in the modern era who has stayed with one club ? So say from 2000- 2016

Tony McDonnell UCD?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Dundalk's 2 biggest attendances last season were live on tv. Cork's best 2 attendances were also live on tv. Galway's best attendance was live on TV also. Extra Time had an article on this a few months ago showing live games on TV has little impact on attendances.

Dundalk V Cork and Cork V Dundalk were always going to be the biggest attended games!

Was Galways game not a cup final?

Dundalk V Wexford on a Fri not on Tv 2500
    Dundalk V Wexford on a Fri on Tv 1900max

That's an example.

That's what our attendances would be like on TV compared to not on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Dundalk V Cork and Cork V Dundalk were always going to be the biggest attended games!

Was Galways game not a cup final?

Dundalk V Wexford on a Fri not on Tv 2500
    Dundalk V Wexford on a Fri on Tv 1900max

That's an example.

That's what our attendances would be like on TV compared to not on TV.
    http://www.extratime.ie/articles/17868/league-of-ireland-attendances-2016---the-final-story-updated/

Dundalk vs Wexford was not live on TV last season.
    Does showing games on TV impact attendances?
    There were 22 televised games this season, 21 of which were Premier Division games; the sole First Division game featuring Limerick’s league victory away to UCD which was actually streamed on FAI TV. Throughout the season and for many previous seasons, TV coverage has often been considered a damaging factor to a club’s gate. So is that really the case?

The 22 games played featured nine clubs playing at home: Dundalk (6), Cork City (4), Shamrock Rovers (4), St Pats (2), Galway United (2), Derry City (1), UCD (1), Sligo Rovers (1) and Bohemians (1). The question here is has TV damaged their potential home gate.

An important caveat before looking into this is that TV games will usually be the most popular games; the clashes with the most to play for. To that end, the games should expect healthy attendances, the question here is whether TV hurts them.

Shamrock Rovers, Cork City, Galway United and Dundalk (see graphic below) all registered their biggest crowds of the season whilst the TV cameras filmed. Cork City and Dundalk also had cameras present for their 2nd best attended games. Overall many of the games played in front of the cameras were some of the best attended games for the clubs in question.

Whilst we can’t predict what the crowds would have been without the cameras, we can look at times the visiting teams came a-calling. Let’s focus on the lowest ranked TV games. Cork City hosted Longford Town after the midseason break – a time when many clubs attendances were down – and they got a crowd of 2,046. The second game of the season saw the Rebels host the Town. 2,302 folks turned up. Dundalk entertained Galway United in May with 2,170 fans turning up. It was very much in line with the crowd totals at the time. Galway’s return was the last day of the season with 3,635 there to see the Louth side finish out the season.

Bohemians hosted Derry City in July to a viewing audience of 1,177 inside Dalymount. We have no comparable figures from 2016 but in 2015 Derry City came and 1,354 viewed. In 2014, a season close to this season’s overall total, Derry visited twice with 1,144 and 1,155 in attendance.

Having further analysed trends and attendances of the other fixtures, it would seem that overall TV cameras really don’t have a huge impact on the expected crowds that turn up. There may be talking points around the monetary reward for clubs that do feature on TV but that is for another day. The argument that crowds suffer however doesn’t, on the whole, seem to be one that has much leverage when you look at the figures.

fat2.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I was making an example as I said in the message.

What I'm saying is it can't always be Dundalk V Cork, Rovers V Bohs etc... So when Derry V Dundalk/Rovers is on, you think Derrys crowd wouldn't be affected.

Same with Sligo V Dundalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think TV impacts attendances in the aspect of fans who can give or take going to a game, the ones who won't be there every week but would go see a top of the table clash. A lot of these would watch it on TV, especially those from outside the City, where an ever increasing amount of fans are supporting City from. Even the stats above show a difference in crowds, 2 or 300 make a difference in an attendance of 1,500 - 2,000. There's a few caveat's of judging attendances and them saying that of course they can't predict what the crowd would have been without the camera's is a big one. I don't think the showing or not showing of games is one of the bigger problems though, it's just something that should be handled much better between the F.A.I. and clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

http://www.extratime.ie/articles/17868/league-of-ireland-attendances-2016---the-final-story-updated/

Dundalk vs Wexford was not live on TV last season, but it was an afternoon match . If it had been on TV there would have been less than 1500 at it.

There should be worthwhile compensation to clubs whose home matches are shown in live. Of the 12 PD clubs 2 didn't get any live match coverage (home or away , Wexford and Bray not on that list) while Dundalk were shown live 10 times, City 6, Rovers 6 Derry 5 Bohs 4. Live TV affects attendances if the match isn't a Derby or is between title chasing teams, and then these matches probably affect other clubs attendances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

There has been Scottish/Spanish/Dutch/Italian/French games on TV every Friday this years!

These aren't the games that are keeping the masses at home like a clash with a United or Liverpool game does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

According to how the season pans out, Sky won't want table topping matches on Friday nights, save those for Sunday's. ( on that basis, Arsenal and United matches are a possibility on a Friday :))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Fenlon in as Waterford manager.

Alan Reynolds as "head coach".

Looks like they want to do to the 1st division what Limerick did in running away with it.

Longford have a good squad. It will be between them & Waterford next season. Would love to see Waterford go up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Have Waterford made any big signings apart from Mark O'Sullivan.

https://twitter.com/WaterfordFCie/status/815988315598032898

Very good signings. Hopefully they get O'Sullivan too.

Was Dean O'Halloran a starter at Bohs? Is Dave Mulcahy not about 40?

Not saying Waterford won't sign more players and be a major force in the division, but comparisons with Limerick last year who signed a legitimate top half Premier Division squad are still premature.

Some very good signings indeed for Waterford. O'Sullivan hasn't actually signed for them, thought he had signed already and also heard there is a rumour that Kenny Browne is a target for the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Some very good signings indeed for Waterford. O'Sullivan hasn't actually signed for them, thought he had signed already and also heard there is a rumour that Kenny Browne is a target for the club.

Kenny Browne is signed on for another year with Cork unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I'll wait until they have at least 11 players on their books before making any comparison to Limerick. Those first three are not on Limerick's level.

As if Kenny Browne would play FD football anyway. He`s not Aaron Greene!

Had that being confirmed cause the rumours are he's not happy at Cork.

Had that being confirmed cause the rumours are he's not happy at Cork.

Yep confirmed by Caulfield.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Gary Delaney from Wexford has also signed. Rumours about Kilian Cantwell from Galway too

Gary Delaney from Wexford has also signed. Rumours about Kilian Cantwell from Galway too
    Are those players good? Like Premier Division good?

CSF wrote: »

Better than the 1st Division, a little shy on the Premier standard in my opinion. Try figure that one out :)

Better than the 1st Division, a little shy on the Premier standard in my opinion. Try figure that one out :)
    So good first division players then? ;)

He didn't sign anything new. He signed for 2 years last year.

Caulfield, understandably, doesn't want to lose him.

gimmick wrote: »
    He didn't sign anything new. He signed for 2 years last year.

Caulfield, understandably, doesn't want to lose him.

I never said he signed anything new, just said he was signed on for another year :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Makes a lot of sense for a first division team to go for it this year. With three going down the following year will be competitive. Could very well have Limerick back down there actually.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Makes a lot of sense for a first division team to go for it this year. With three going down the following year will be competitive. Could very well have Limerick back down there actually.

If Limerick go back down they won't be half as competitive. Half their squad will leave as they only stayed on condition that they gain promotion at the first attempt.

If Limerick go back down they won't be half as competitive. Half their squad will leave as they only stayed on condition that they gain promotion at the first attempt.

Plus, I highly doubt O`Sulivan/local businesses will bankroll them to promotion again.
    As far as crowds go they could just be having a bounce from going to the Markets Field. Crowds of over 1000 just wont stick around for a YoYo club.
    Relegation next year would hit crowds and finances again and I suspect they know it. The 3 teams down really couldnt have happened at a worse time for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Sorry, maybe I missed the memo but how come Waterford suddenly have money to spend? They were on the brink last season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Sorry, maybe I missed the memo but how come Waterford suddenly have money to spend? They were on the brink last season

Swindon Town's chairman Lee Power bought the club.

Plus, I highly doubt O`Sulivan/local businesses will bankroll them to promotion again.
    As far as crowds go they could just be having a bounce from going to the Markets Field. Crowds of over 1000 just wont stick around for a YoYo club.
    Relegation next year would hit crowds and finances again and I suspect they know it. The 3 teams down really couldnt have happened at a worse time for them.

Pat O'Sullivan definitely wont bankroll them if they get relegated, he's even said it himself that he was to focus on the youth structure and training base in Bruff but a Wexford business man has invested big money for a share in the club and still talks of Essien coming in so I'd say even the club haven't a clue what's gonna happen if they get relegated.

The crowds have definitely improved because of the Markets Field, when they went on that run at the end of 2015 they were getting in crowds of 2,500 but thought last season they'd be lucky to get in 800 to 1000 but had a steady attendance of 1200 to 1500 so they have a steadyish following but that will be tested this season cause they are gonna loss a number.

Fully agree the three team relegation couldn't have come at a worse time and I actually thought they'd have the three team relegation done already by now so when they did go down I said that 2015 was probably a better year to go down if they were to bring in the Conroy report in 2016 and get promoted back to the 10 team premier division for 2017.

I never said he signed anything new, just said he was signed on for another year :confused:

I know. Others picked it up as you having said that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Pat O'Sullivan definitely wont bankroll them if they get relegated, he's even said it himself that he was to focus on the youth structure and training base in Bruff but a Wexford business man has invested big money for a share in the club and still talks of Essien coming in so I'd say even the club haven't a clue what's gonna happen if they get relegated.

The crowds have definitely improved because of the Markets Field, when they went on that run at the end of 2015 they were getting in crowds of 2,500 but thought last season they'd be lucky to get in 800 to 1000 but had a steady attendance of 1200 to 1500 so they have a steadyish following but that will be tested this season cause they are gonna loss a number.

Fully agree the three team relegation couldn't have come at a worse time and I actually thought they'd have the three team relegation done already by now so when they did go down I said that 2015 was probably a better year to go down if they were to bring in the Conroy report in 2016 and get promoted back to the 10 team premier division for 2017.

Is there a reason a Wexford business man would invest in Limerick rather than Wexford Youths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

howiya wrote: »
    Is there a reason a Wexford business man would invest in Limerick rather than Wexford Youths?

not wanting to get involved with Mick Wallace?

howiya wrote: »

Same reason that has prevent numerous investors & sponsors coming on board

not wanting to get involved with Mick Wallace?

This

And no disrespect to Youths cause I like them as a club and the style of ball they play but Limerick has a lot more going for it than Youths and them being an amateur club could be another reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Derek Foran has signed for bray

Waterford announce the signings of Matthew Connor, Anthony McAlavey, Gary Delaney and Patrick McClean to add to the already signed Paul Murphy, Dean O'Halloran and Dave Mulcahy. Nice looking squad coming together now. Definitely worth the wait!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Liam Kearney back at Cork City as a coach

Greg Moorhouse hatrick tonight for Glenavon .
    Wonder will any LOI teams be in for him over the next few weeks.

Greg Moorhouse hatrick tonight for Glenavon .
    Wonder will any LOI teams be in for him over the next few weeks.

Saw that earlier, was more taken with one of the scorers for Ballymena.....

Denver Gage....what a name :P

Waterford announce the signings of Matthew Connor, Anthony McAlavey, Gary Delaney and Patrick McClean to add to the already signed Paul Murphy, Dean O'Halloran and Dave Mulcahy. Nice looking squad coming together now. Definitely worth the wait!
    These aren't the Limerickesque names that have been touted though right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

These aren't the Limerickesque names that have been touted though right?

Ya I thought the same, nothing at all special about any of those signings unlike Limerick last year where it was clear they would walk it. Think it'll be Longford and Waterford going for that promotion spot with Wexford and Cobh not far behind.

CHealy wrote: »
    Ya I thought the same, nothing at all special about any of those signings unlike Limerick last year where it was clear they would walk it. Think it'll be Longford and Waterford going for that promotion spot with Wexford and Cobh not far behind.

2017 will be a year of re-build from scratch for the Youths

• Advertisement

I think they have little chance of fighting for promotion.

Waterford signed 2 of Wexford's better players in Murphy & Delaney & are expected to sign O'Sullivan. Wexford have lost nearly all of there team from last season & Cobh overachieved & are expected to lose Shane O'Connor.
    It will be between Longford & Waterford next season. But still a lot of squads need to be finalized in the next month. UCD could still have a good squad as well.

I think they have little chance of fighting for promotion.

Waterford signed 2 of Wexford's better players in Murphy & Delaney & are expected to sign O'Sullivan. Wexford have lost nearly all of there team from last season & Cobh overachieved & are expected to lose Shane O'Connor.
    It will be between Longford & Waterford next season. But still a lot of squads need to be finalized in the next month. UCD could still have a good squad as well.

Shane O'Connor has just signed for Waterford along with Robin Dempsey and young players Dean Walsh and Owen Wall resigning

Shane O'Connor has just signed for Waterford along with Robin Dempsey and young players Dean Walsh and Owen Wall resigning
    Wall is a good talent very young. I think Dean Walsh is a brillant young player. Very impressive at the end of last season.
    O'Connor is highly rated too.

Wall is a good talent very young. I think Dean Walsh is a brillant young player. Very impressive at the end of last season.
    O'Connor is highly rated too.

You didn't mention Dempsey :D

You didn't mention Dempsey :D
    Incredible talent. One of the stars of the Wexford League.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement