Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Good article in Sunday Times about Lee Power, Waterford FC/Swindon Town, looking to buy another club in Montenegro. Dundalk stirred a hornets nest, everybody looking for Champions League now.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

R00ster wrote:
    I got 113/196, had to cheat with a few of the spellings.

Shame on me only 61. Found one not on that list as well. Omonia Nicosia who played Shamrock Rovers in 1987.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Shame on me only 61. Found one not on that list as well. Omonia Nicosia who played Shamrock Rovers in 1987.

I tried that as well. I think it only accepts the spelling 'Omonoia'. Can't imagine how any body could get 100% in that. There are a few defunct teams from now defunct countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

joeysoap wrote: »
    Good article in Sunday Times about Lee Power, Waterford FC/Swindon Town, looking to buy another club in Montenegro. Dundalk stirred a hornets nest, everybody looking for Champions League now.
    Teams have chased the Champions League promise land in the recent past. It ended badly if i recall and i have no doubt it will be the exact same this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Got 72 but would have got 4 or 5 more if it wasn't for the spelling, I'd say you would be doing well to find a quiz with trickier spelling! We have had a lot of games against Scandanavian teams over the years but I forgot half of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Teams have chased the Champions League promise land in the recent past. It ended badly if i recall and i have no doubt it will be the exact same this time around.

Thats exactly what is going to happen.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Where is Daniel Kearns these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭prodsc

awec wrote: »
    Where is Daniel Kearns these days?

Still at the Showgrounds.

CHealy wrote: »
    Thats exactly what is going to happen.

I'm inclined to agree. Teams like Dundalk (whether by accident, luck or just good fortune) only come around once in a blue moon. You can build , buy and develop but even though you get a league winning team, there is nothing 'extra'
    Dundalk only won one group match but could have easily won two (Zenit, when they were leading) and drawn two more (Zenit again, that effort by McEleney had goal written all over it)and Kilduff missing a sitter against Maccabi. All history now, and I just wonder if the next team we talk about will have that 'something' that separates good from very good. (The next Dundalk team included). A few clubs appear to over stretching, even with good results will the gate money cover costs?

• Advertisement

Another departure, wonder where he's going?

http://www.dundalkfc.com/gerry-spain-departs/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Another departure, wonder where he's going?

http://www.dundalkfc.com/gerry-spain-departs/

Also was talks about 6 possible signings but nothing confirmed.

Would be good to see some of them getting over the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I'm inclined to agree. Teams like Dundalk (whether by accident, luck or just good fortune) only come around once in a blue moon. You can build , buy and develop but even though you get a league winning team, there is nothing 'extra'
    Dundalk only won one group match but could have easily won two (Zenit, when they were leading) and drawn two more (Zenit again, that effort by McEleney had goal written all over it)and Kilduff missing a sitter against Maccabi. All history now, and I just wonder if the next team we talk about will have that 'something' that separates good from very good. (The next Dundalk team included). A few clubs appear to over stretching, even with good results will the gate money cover costs?
    Speaking of Zenit I see that they recorded the ninth highest profit for European clubs in 2015. Once again puts Dundalk's performances against them into context.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38605455

Pighead wrote: »
    Speaking of Zenit I see that they recorded the ninth highest profit for European clubs in 2015. Once again puts Dundalk's performances against them into context.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38605455

Two terrific performances,width of a post between a win and a draw. C'est la vie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Dundalk would want to get some signings done asap.
    Surprised Cork have not announced Bolger yet since he said he is staying & nothing about Dooley yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

MD1990 wrote: »
    Dundalk would want to get some signings done asap.
    Surprised Cork have not announced Bolger yet since he said he is staying & nothing about Dooley yet.

Bolger and Browne are both on two year deals and Bolger even tweeted the same... Dooley tho hasn't been confirmed as staying or going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Allowing for no injuries Drogs should get 20 games. The rest will be suspensions.:)

We can just cycle around the three Brennan's depending on which one(s) are suspended at the time. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

fh041205 wrote: »
    We can just cycle around the three Brennan's depending on which one(s) are suspended at the time. :pac:

Drogheda's team bus next year

Brennans001_2015_RT.png?la=en-GB&h=270&w=550

:) Got the colours right too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Horgan starts for Preston v Brighton. Towell not in the matchday squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrayWanderers/status/820257500461223937

No wonder Bray can afford to splash the cash haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Preston 1 up after 13mins with "wingers Horgan & McGeady causing all sorts of problems" and Brighton not looking like getting back into it according to Ian Dowie on Sky Sports News
    edit: and after some good work and a delightful through ball (or something along that line), Horgan has his first assist early in the second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrayWanderers/status/820257500461223937

No wonder Bray can afford to splash the cash haha.

No longer there? What was in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Shorts for €45

Club shorts for sale, 45e for adults and 35e for kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That's daylight robbery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Club shorts for sale, 45e for adults and 35e for kids.

They'll need to sell a lot of them to pay that squad!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Mars Bar wrote: »
    That's daylight robbery

TBH All replica kits are daylight robbery

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

TBH All replica kits are daylight robbery

Yeah but I don't think I've seen shorts priced that ridiculously before. Even the Ireland shorts stop at €28.

I've just checked the Manchester rUnited website. €40. What is the world coming to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Any truth in the rumours that Wexford Youths could be going the way of many a clubs before them in the league, apparently are being faced with a court application to be wound up over debt of over €200,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

How Mick Wallace still remains popular in some circles I will never understand.

CSF wrote: »
    How Mick Wallace still remains popular in some circles I will never understand.

Just because he's a [censored], doesn't mean that the questions he raises in the Dáil and things he highlights are not valid.

It's precisely because of those things they he is so disliked. There's many like him in the Dáil, he just has the gall not to know his place at times and is demonised in the media for it.

Throw a dart at a map of the country and you'll likely hit a constituency with a politician that is guilty of far worse, who are celebrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Heartbreaking news if it happens. Mick should be congratulated for building the complex and getting us in to LOI. However, there are many who feel he has been the main reason why the Wexford public never got behind the club and that's leaving aside his political and financial situation

I hope it's not true, wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Mick is probably limiting the club but can it survive without him? Genuine question. I know very little about the Youths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Mick is probably limiting the club but can it survive without him? .

That's the crux of the problem, nobody knows. It is Mick's club and he runs it his way, despite a very good volunteer committee in place. If Mick doesn't like something it doesn't happen

Vemmelund and mcgrath confirmed to dundalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Either way, Wexford would be one of the clubs I would be most sad to see go. Athlone, Waterford, Bray, if they go I'm not going to shed too many tears because it's come as a result of spending excessively (relative to potential income streams) to gain a competitive advantage over the rest, despite seeing countless teams implode using the same model.

Wexford were a club, who whether you've got snobby notions about them or UCD not belonging in the Premier Division or no, got to the Premier Division purely on the back of their football model. Would be a loss to the league absolutely if they went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

It's scary and sounds pretty terrible, but I am still confident we'll be there for the 2017 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

That's the crux of the problem, nobody knows. It is Mick's club and he runs it his way, despite a very good volunteer committee in place. If Mick doesn't like something it doesn't happen
    Like paying his taxes and then complaining about lack of essential services that depend on tax intake!
    Anyway, this is a football thread. Surely they'll re-invent themselves and come back. As Wexford Grown Mens FC maybe.

• Advertisement

'Wallace, who was made bankrupt with debts of €30m before Christmas, was in Italy last week........'

Says it all

I hope youths survive, a real loss to the league and South East if they don't.

Vemmelund and mcgrath confirmed to dundalk

http://www.dundalkfc.com/dont-write-obituary-yet/

Still a few to come or is that it? It's a very small squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Think I saw on twitter that Kenny's still hopeful of signing Conor Clifford and one other but is doubtful of the guy from Celtic. McMillan is re-signed as well

Boyle, Horgan, Finn, Keane, Shiels, O Connor and Meenan. Whos the 8th gone from last year i cant remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Where is Shiels gone?

Back to Scotland. IMO without Keane and Shiels we would have struggled to win the league, lot of matches and these two definitely made a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Boyle, Horgan, Finn, Keane, Shiels, O Connor and Meenan. Whos the 8th gone from last year i cant remember

Poynton and Ciarán O'Connor likely to leave the squad.

Kenny wants four more in. They'll need to be of very good quality if we are to retain. Cork are favorites in my opinion. Settled squad and some decent young players that will have another years experience under their belts. However I'll say the same thing as I say every year, Caulfield is a poor manager and stifling their progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

doncarlos wrote: »
    However I'll say the same thing as I say every year, Caulfield is a poor manager and stifling their progress.

He is learning though. Cork did very well last year, especially given the number of new players and a change to their style of play.

If it wasn't for the strange wobble after going out of Europe, they would have won the title.

I would have them as favourites, a settled squad that is desperate to finally win a title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

He is learning though. Cork did very well last year, especially given the number of new players and a change to their style of play.

If it wasn't for the strange wobble after going out of Europe, they would have won the title.
    That's ignoring the fact that we also had a strange wobble after our BATE win when we lost two games in a row to Galway and Bray. Start of the new season can't come quickly enough. Will be an intriguing title race.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Who do people fancy to break up the top 2. Or are people 'resigned' to it being a battle for 3 rd?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Who do people fancy to break up the top 2. Or are people 'resigned' to it being a battle for 3 rd?

I think the general consensus is that Derry are the closest.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement