Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0224/770477-league-of-ireland-prize-money-to-increase-by-50/
    Prize money for the SSE Airtricity League will increase by €160,000, it was announced today.

League Director Fran Gavin revealed that the total prize fund will be €475,500 for coming season at the official launch at the Aviva Stadium.

It had previously been €315,000, with many clubs complaining that the low level of reward for competing in the league made it difficult to stay afloat.

It represents a 50% increase from last year.
    Great news
    The increase in prize money is welcome, but the kitty is still less than half the total that will be awarded to clubs just for qualifying for Europe (€1.15 million).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

€160,000 across the two divisions is something like €8,000 each extra. How does it break down, presumably the winners get a larger share of the increase..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

They've actually spread it around quite well, which is surprising.
    The breakdown of the Premier Division prize money is as follows:
    1 - €110,000
    2 - €55,000
    3 - €35,000
    4 - €25,000
    5 - €21,000
    6 - €19,500
    7 - €18,500
    8 - €18,000
    9 - €18,000
    10 - €17,500
    11 - €17,000
    12 - €17,000

Bateman wrote: »
    They've actually spread it around quite well...
    They've spread it too much. Sixth place only gets €2,500 more than twelfth?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

To be honest, the spread should probably be more biased in favour of the bottom sides. The top four will get their prize money from europe and the league prizemoney should be aimed at the sides below that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

djpbarry wrote: »
    The increase in prize money is welcome, but the kitty is still less than half the total that will be awarded to clubs just for qualifying for Europe (€1.15 million).

The league is never going to be able to compete with the European prize kitty. The best we can hope for is a fair spread of prizes money which I think the new structure achieves.

The current structure means every club gets their prize money back. In the previous set up a PD side had to finish 5th or higher to do better than a second placed FD side. It's unavoidable when fairness/low prize money is being balanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

The increase in prize money is a sham. LOI matches are to be streamed live by an online betting company (forget the name). The deal meant that every club were to get €10,000 from the company. However, the FAI insisted that it be given to them to add on to the existing prize fund. Smoke and Mirrors, typical of the FAI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Oh look, another kit launch for the Republic of Ireland with zero advertising/promotion of the league on the FAI Facebook page.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

That_Guy wrote: »
    Oh look, another kit launch for the Republic of Ireland with zero advertising/promotion of the league on the FAI Facebook page.

:rolleyes:

you sure , they were teasing it on their FB page last week and yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

peteeeed wrote: »
    you sure , they were teasing it on their FB page last week and yesterday

I think you have picked him up wrong. He's annoyed that all the FAI Facebook page is doing is writing about their jersey launch and nothing about the fact that the league starts back today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Before, they only got €3,000 more than 12th, so it's not that much of a difference. More importantly is that 6th place get an extra €11,000 themselves, so I don't think they'd be too worried that 12th gets close to that, too.
    dfx- wrote: »
    To be honest, the spread should probably be more biased in favour of the bottom sides. The top four will get their prize money from europe and the league prizemoney should be aimed at the sides below that.

Last season, 1st place received 41% of the total prize money. Now it's 29%. That's definitely a move in the right direction. You have the be careful about assuming 4th place will get Europe and affecting their prize money accordingly. That only happens if one of the teams above them win the cup. If that doesn't happen, but you gave them less prize money assuming that it would, then they're left with no European money and lower league money, too.

Here's last season's prize money table for comparison:

zY61.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

A lazy article from Sportsjoe.ie but here's the crux of it. They rank the nicest Premier Division jerseys.

12- Wexford Youths

11933397_526551257505086_5750890015664599065_n-horz.jpg

11- St. Pats Athletic

CWiQzuWWoAAwZwN.jpg

10- Galway United

page.jpg

9- Shamrock Rovers

CVd07qtVEAAZcZu.jpg

8- Derry City

10HomeShirt2016.png

7- Sligo Rovers

CbFwuCgW4AA9CR9.jpg

6- Bohemians

B4uEeL7CUAAaaB0.jpg

5- Cork City

inpho_01024693.jpg

4- Longford Town

Caz3bAwWIAAjkUT.jpg

3- Bray Wanderers

CcADviMWoAA_zmk.jpg

2- Finn Harps

B-3RH7kVIAAOc20.jpg

1- Dundalk

CWLQM8cXAAAiwpA.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Some top jerseys this year, I particularly like Galways new one.

Drogheda United's is gorgeous too but obviously they're not Premier Division :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Omackeral wrote: »
    A lazy article from Sportsjoe.ie but here's the crux of it.

Do they have any other type of article?

gimmick wrote: »

Dunno, it's my first and last time clicking on one of their links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Omackeral wrote: »
    Dunno, it's my first and last time clicking on one of their links.

Good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

gimmick wrote: »
    I'm shocked they didn't mention Conor McGregor in the jersey article

***YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT THIS IRISH UFC FIGHTER HAD FOR BREAKFAST TODAY***

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

They pump out rubbish with no thought or effort and then watch people trip over themselves to disagree with them in the comments. It's pretty funny.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

At least people may become aware of the league starting though.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Last season, 1st place received 41% of the total prize money. Now it's 29%. That's definitely a move in the right direction.
    Fair point – I wasn’t aware of that.

But, as others have said, the top sides will make plenty from European qualification, so it makes sense to take a bit more off them, and give the lower sides more of an incentive to improve their league position towards the season’s end. So, for example, you could have the top side earning three times as much (€59,438) as the bottom side (€19,812), with prize money incrementing by the same amount for each position (€3,602) as you move from bottom to top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The spread has definitely been done the right way, I don't think anyone wants a "permanent top 4" pulling away. Or maybe they do...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

VWqwFYB.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

I don't see any streaming of any LOI game tonight on any site, be it gambling site or not. With the IFA league (NI) games are listed but not always available.

Maybe they are not up an running yet.

Cork v Bohs on tv is ok for tonight. Would be good if Dalymount was up and running next week!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

prodsc wrote: »
    I don't see any streaming of any LOI game tonight on any site, be it gambling site or not. With the IFA league (NI) games are listed but not always available.

Maybe they are not up an running yet.

Cork v Bohs on tv is ok for tonight. Would be good if Dalymount was up and running next week!!

They are on BWIN. Well, the Cork & Pats matches are. The Derby at Finn Park is the game I wanted to watch, but they aren't showing it.
    I thought stable internet might be a problem in Ballybofey alright..

I'm watching the Pats match
    aBcZ0z0.png

You need a non-IE IP and a non-IE BWIN account. That might be why you're not seeing them on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Oat23 wrote: »
    They are on BWIN. Well, the Cork & Pats matches are. The Derby at Finn Park is the game I wanted to watch, but they aren't showing it.

I'm watching the Pats match
    aBcZ0z0.png

You need a non-IE IP and a non-IE BWIN account. That might be why you're not seeing them on there.
    Piss poor quality. Makes a laughing stock out of people that were talking about it being a threat to attendances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

not sure why ours wasnt on, the camera was installed a few weeks ago i thought i seen somewhere they tested it too.
    internet should be grand seeing as the stadium is in the middle of the town.
    you should probably be glad you didnt see it anyway, would have been tough viewing unless you were a harps fan!

Were there any games streaming tonight(sat)?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Glenavon have signed Ian Morris from St Pats.

What's he like? Have to admit I've never heard of him. :o

Says he can play a few positions, but which one is his actual position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

awec wrote: »
    Glenavon have signed Ian Morris from St Pats.

What's he like? Have to admit I've never heard of him. :o

Says he can play a few positions, but which one is his actual position?

Mostly centre midfield although he made his debut for us at centre back. Injured a fair bit for the half season he was with us for and had injury problems for Northampton before us. He was ok nothing special but not rubbish either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Decent passer of the ball as well. Likes to spray it about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Any Limerick fans here? Anyone know if Limerick or any other LOI club signed Kyle MacLeod? Came on vs Galway in a friendly & played very well. He also was on trial at Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

So I've started working in Waterford for the next 12 months and have decided to follow Waterford utd. Got a season ticket and looking forward to the first home game this week!

cms88 wrote: »
    So I've started working in Waterford for the next 12 months and have decided to follow Waterford utd. Got a season ticket and looking forward to the first home game this week!

Fair play man.
    MD1990 wrote: »
    Any Limerick fans here? Anyone know if Limerick or any other LOI club signed Kyle MacLeod? Came on vs Galway in a friendly & played very well. He also was on trial at Cork.

Saw him while he was on trial at City and was impressed, he's from San Diego, he asked Caulfield could he come over on trial when JC was in the US in the off season. He actually said that while he was an excellent player, he has really struggled with getting up and going to training everyday in Irish weather, where he is used to sun 300 days a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Went to my first LoI game last week - St Pats v Galway. Really enjoyed it, despite the result. I've followed the Premiership since I was young, but recently I've been getting fed up with it. More into the Irish team now, and obviously trying to support the grass roots.

I picked St Pats as they're the closest team to where I live in Dublin (I'm a blow-in from Kerry), my next door neighbours have been supporting Pats since the mid 60s and I met one of them at the game, and there's a couple of Kerrymen in the team this year too - easy decision on who to support

I'll be attending every St Pats game I can this season. Monday nights generally aren't great nights for me, but Fridays are fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

https://twitter.com/ShamrockRovers/status/707959581478133760

Very nice touch by the club + players. I'd be embarrassed as heck to receive the call though :o

Very nice touch by the club + players. I'd be embarrassed as heck to receive the call though :o

Galway done that aswell weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

CHealy wrote: »
    Fair play man.

Saw him while he was on trial at City and was impressed, he's from San Diego, he asked Caulfield could he come over on trial when JC was in the US in the off season. He actually said that while he was an excellent player, he has really struggled with getting up and going to training everyday in Irish weather, where he is used to sun 300 days a year.

Hahah well if he is from San Diego where the weather is pretty much perfect all year round I can easily see Irish weather being quite the shocker for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Will they be ringing to apologise at the end of the season when it all goes tits up? :pac:

• Advertisement

Chris Forrester called into the Ireland squad for the upcoming friendlies.

Lots of talk of him being in the Championship next season - O'Neill obviously wants to have a look at him as one for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

MD1990 wrote: »

I heard Limerick picked him up subject to visa clearance which can be a bit of a process it seems. (have a read of John o sullivans column on thescore.ie today)
    cms88 wrote: »

I hope its a miserable horrible experience for you. I'll see you there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Deserved call up for Forrester.

He has become a much better player in England. He is much more disciplined and doesn't go missing in games.

I seem to be noticing errors on RTE's reporting of the LOI on a weekly basis:
    After their surprise 3-1 defeat to Galway United last time out, St Pat's manager Liam Buckley is expecting another testing encounter.

Kevin O’Connor and Josh O’Hanlon ensured Longford got out of the blocks quickly, scoring the goals to sink Wexford Youths. They'll hope to keep momentum going against the Saints and would revel in deeping Fenlon's anguish.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0310/773973-at-a-glance-sse-airtricity-league/

Shoddy, shoddy "journalism".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0310/773973-at-a-glance-sse-airtricity-league/

The article also had our manager down as 'John' Robertson yesterday.

His name is Dave.

Any games being streamed tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

His name is Dave.

It's the same mistakes and general apathy crossing over from the good aul Errortel days in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

His name is Dave.

Or Rodney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eucpZjDCat0

Chris Forrester called into the Ireland squad for the upcoming friendlies.

Lots of talk of him being in the Championship next season - O'Neill obviously wants to have a look at him as one for the future.
    Wonder what Richie Towell makes of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Wonder what Richie Towell makes of it...

Probably not a lot, but I don't think he's in much of a position to complain. Forrester has come in a league lower like a duck to water, whereas Towell hasn't made his impact yet at Brighton. That's the next step for him before international call ups of any kind.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement