Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Pascal Millien to cork. Caulfields scouting program at work again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Oat23 wrote: »
    Only to keep fit until the LOI window opened, wasn't it?

Basically, think ourselves, Rovers, Dundalk and possibly others had him on the radars fairly quickly. Think Miele was playing with Bluebell too for the same reason before Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Pascal Millien to cork. Caulfields scouting program at work again.

He's only on trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Think you've read that wrong. Cork are on trial with Pascal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I wouldn't be hopeful of Clifford. I have seen plenty of players like him where they start out at a big club, think it is easy as he drops down the league's and falls out of football. Joe O'Cearuill springs to mind.

Although unlike O'Cearuill, I reckon Clifford knows this is his last shot. I think O'Cearuill had notions that he'd go to Pats for a few months and get picked back up by a championship club or the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Clifford will be a solid LOI player, same as Bennett was/is when he came back from lower league football.
    I think any notions that he`s going to set the league are alight or anything like that just wont happen.
    He has played a good bit for Boreham so its not like he`s coming straight out of an British academy or reserve team with a point to prove like Towell or Fahey.
    He`s also 25 now and it took both of those players 3 year+ to get back to a level where English clubs were interested in them, time Clifford just doesn't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

God is Love, Welcome back Pascal, wonder will it go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Cork Citys scouting network consists of looking at past and present Sligo Rovers squad lists and seeing what the craic is. Absolutely brilliant. God is good Pascal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

CHealy wrote: »
    Cork Citys scouting network consists of looking at past and present Sligo Rovers squad lists and seeing what the craic is. Absolutely brilliant. God is good Pascal.

We have let some good ones slip through our fingers over the years so not a bad strategy in light of a better plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

Sligo Rovers fans - what is Ciaran Nugent like? He has signed for us (Galway United).

He must be better than Conor Winn, for a big man Winn has very poor command of his 18yard box, so I'm hoping Nugent is solid. Glad Utd signed a keeper, the rest of the squad looks ok and can't wait for the season to start now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Is Caulfield is a smart man he'll have a look at Choice Aisien. Another one we let get away.

That night Pascal came off the bench for his debut against Shels was magic. He has all the skills but was lacking a footballing brain. He would have been a great player if not for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Dooley officially signs back for the season with City.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Good signing, Dooley was a good player last year. Should be better in his 2nd season at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Very important signing for Cork. Not many better wingers in the league than Dooley probably only Connolly.

Didnt fancy Dooley at the start, he's a bit "Billy Dennehy" like when flinching away from tackles, but he really came into his own the second half of the year. Delighted with that, its a big one for City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Didnt fancy Dooley at the start, he's a bit "Billy Dennehy" like when flinching away from tackles, but he really came into his own the second half of the year. Delighted with that, its a big one for City.

Im still not his biggest fan but I do agree that those last 10 games or so he played he upped it a level for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

Ogbenes rumoured to be going to Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

On loan, or did we offer him a place in UL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Where did you here this?

Edit. Just saw the Twitter link

• Advertisement

Strange move. Limerick are strong in wide positions so Ogbene would not be a guaranteed starter. But a good signing for Limerick if it happens.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Strange move. Limerick are strong in wide positions so Ogbene would not be a guaranteed starter.

Yeah could see Turner keeping him outta the team hahaha.

Theres something very strange going on here. Either Ogbene is getting some very bad advice in his ear, or Cork City are totally under valuing one of the leagues brightest prospects. Id be disgusted if the lad left, I've watched him through the U19's and finally make the break through last season, I was more than looking forward to seeing what he could do this year. CCFC Forum is gone into proper meltdown btw if ye need some Wednesday entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Theres something very strange going on here. Either Ogbene is getting some very bad advice in his ear, or Cork City are totally under valuing one of the leagues brightest prospects. Id be disgusted if the lad left, I've watched him through the U19's and finally make the break through last season, I was more than looking forward to seeing what he could do this year. CCFC Forum is gone into proper meltdown btw if ye need some Wednesday entertainment.

Extremely strange one as up until a few weeks ago he was looking forward to the new season and said he waiting to sit down with JC and sort out details. Even a few days ago he was down the maradyke training with his CCFC gym program. Either this is a mental rumor that has grown legs or perhaps the sit down with JC for whatever reason hasn't happened or the terms on offer weren't great. Limerick is a long trek a few times a week for a 19 year old who doesn't drive but I guess Turner will be his chauffeur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Big loss. Bad statement too that we cannot hold onto one of our best youth prospects in years to a club like Limerick. Had it been across the water I could understand, but to move down the LOI ladder is crazy.

From what I am told he has acted very unprofessionally and seems to have been very badly advised.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I really can't see how he'd be better off at Limerick, even playing in Europe would have put him in a bigger shop window.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Yeah could see Turner keeping him outta the team hahaha.
    Kenny is a better player than Turner.
    Ogbene will probably be uo against Dean Clarke for the left wing position but Clarke is a striker as well.

gimmick wrote: »
    Big loss. Bad statement too that we cannot hold onto one of our best youth prospects in years to a club like Limerick. Had it been across the water I could understand, but to move down the LOI ladder is crazy.

From what I am told he has acted very unprofessionally and seems to have been very badly advised.

He's hardly signed a five year contract and staying at Limerick for life. Some people on here were saying they wouldn't mind him going out on loan, whether that was Cork fans or not I don't know but Limerick was one of the clubs named and with this being loi he'll probably sign for two years and go back to Cork afterwards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Im still not his biggest fan but I do agree that those last 10 games or so he played he upped it a level for my liking.

I liked him when he played for Derry but I didn't think he was very impressive on any of your trips to the Brandywell last season. Possibly our players knew how to deal with him though.

• Advertisement

Kenny is a better player than Turner.
    Ogbene will probably be uo against Dean Clarke for the left wing position but Clarke is a striker as well.

Kenny is a cracking young player but plays on the right as does Clarke, that's where he played last time he was at Limerick. Can see it being Ogbene and Turner on left with Clarke and Kenny on the right.

This is what Iv been told aswell, all rumour of course, but apparently he's dropped his agent in favour of taking family advice on the matter. He's also dropped out of Cork Citys scholarship program with a local college of further education.

Kenny is a cracking young player but plays on the right as does Clarke, that's where he played last time he was at Limerick. Can see it being Ogbene and Turner on left with Clarke and Kenny on the right.

Clarke played prodominetly on the left for Limerick when he last played with us, himself and turner would switch flanks during the game but Clarke is still a left sided wide man with Limerick the year we went down

This is what Iv been told aswell, all rumour of course, but apparently he's dropped his agent in favour of taking family advice on the matter. He's also dropped out of Cork Citys scholarship program with a local college of further education.

Maybe Limerick are offering him a place in UL?

:confused: Kenny & Turner both play on the right. While Clarke & Ogbene play on the left. Clarke played on the left & up front last time he was at Limerick.

Clarke played prodominetly on the left for Limerick when he last played with us, himself and turner would switch flanks during the game but Clarke is still a left sided wide man with Limerick the year we went down

You Sure? Could have been sure they lined up as Turner - Vinny - Clarke, but as you said they'd switch during the game but was sure Clarke always started the game on the right.

Edit: Also haven't had my cornflakes yet and still half asleep so brains still in sleep mode.

• Advertisement

Maybe Limerick are offering him a place in UL?

Possibly but Cork City also have full scholarship places at UCC. Maybe he might prefer to go to Limerick with guaranteed football over fighting for his place at City. Seems increasingly likely that he's on the receiving end of some bad advise.

One way or other our (potentially massive) loss is Limericks gain. The fact he wasn't retained by us mean that we get nothing if he thrives and Liemrick wer to sell him on for good money later on.

I fear he may get the Liam Kearney treatment when he comes back to play against us.

One way or other our (potentially massive) loss is Limericks gain. The fact he wasn't retained by us mean that we get nothing if he thrives and Liemrick wer to sell him on for good money later on.

I fear he may get the Liam Kearney treatment when he comes back to play against us.

Aren't Cork intitled to a compensation fee for Ogbene being under 24?

Aren't Cork intitled to a compensation fee for Ogbene being under 24?

Nope. He was only ever an amatuer for us (hence the not retained part).

Incorrect, we would be entitled to a compensation fee from Limerick and we would get 60% of any sell on fee should he move from Limerick within the next two years. Confirmed by solicitor on another forum.

Looks like its a done deal to Limerick anyway, absolutely disgusted with all parties involved bar Limerick, they're only pouncing on a great opportunity. Seems Ogbenes family are calling the shots and played City and Limerick against each other for more money, Limerick coming out on top. IMO, he's after making a huge mistake, but Id be very excited if I was a Limerick fan.

• Advertisement

Incorrect, we would be entitled to a compensation fee from Limerick and we would get 60% of any sell on fee should he move from Limerick within the next two years. Confirmed by solicitor on another forum.

Looks like its a done deal to Limerick anyway, absolutely disgusted with all parties involved bar Limerick, they're only pouncing on a great opportunity. Seems Ogbenes family are calling the shots and played City and Limerick against each other for more money, Limerick coming out on top. IMO, he's after making a huge mistake, but Id be very excited if I was a Limerick fan.

Oh. I thought pro forms needed to be signed for that to happen.

One way or other - mess.

Harsh to be digusted with all parties apart from Limerick.
    The news only broke last night much of it is probably rumours.

Harsh to be digusted with all parties apart from Limerick.
    The news only broke last night much of it is probably rumours.

No one is coming out of this good bar Limerick is probably a better way of putting it. What does it say about Cork Citys youth development system when we cant even hold onto our brightest prospect in years. Not good.

No one is coming out of this good bar Limerick is probably a better way of putting it. What does it say about Cork Citys youth development system when we cant even hold onto our brightest prospect in years. Not good.

But if the kid agreed to the deal in principle and didn't have the integrity to tell the club he wanted to renege on it and go to Limerick, its hard to blame CCFC.

Of course, perhaps the offer he was made was derisory and he agreed out of naivety and got the hump once he thought about it properly.

Compensation yes but why would City be entitled to a sell on fee?

Keep hearing this that he's made a big mistake or a huge mistake, why? First team football and an extra couple of quid, like I said on the last page it's not like he's signing a five year deal and staying with Limerick for years. He'll probably be back down to Cork after two seasons so it's like a loan, unless Limerick get into the top four in the next two years he'll be back to Cork or whoever else is in the top two.

Compensation yes but why would City be entitled to a sell on fee?

Keep hearing this that he's made a big mistake or a huge mistake, why? First team football and an extra couple of quid, like I said on the last page it's not like he's signing a five year deal and staying with Limerick for years. He'll probably be back down to Cork after two seasons so it's like a loan, unless Limerick get into the top four in the next two years he'll be back to Cork or whoever else is in the top two.

We developed him from an u19 stage to breaking into the first team, regardless of wheter he ever signed pro forms with us we wouild still be entitle to the 60% if ye were to sell him to England within two years I believe. Dont ask me the ins and outs but its explained well on the CCFC Forum if your on that.

It would be a mistake because Cork City will be fighting for a league title and looking to progress even further in Europe this year. We will at some stage need every player signed up so it wont be a case of him not getting his chance, Caulfield brought him on with loads left in the second half of the Cup Final at 0-0, he clearly trusts him. Look if the lad want guaranteed first team football then fair enough, but I think he's more likely to be fighting it out in a relegation battle with Limerick that will ultimately get him no where rather than scrapping for a place in a City squad going for a league and European progression, the ultimate shop window for LOI club players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

If Cork weren't paying the lad, it is little wonder he is going to Limerick.

John O'Flynn re-signs for Limerick, Ogbene is gonna have plenty of company for car sharing now with Turner, John O'Flynn or Joe Gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Iv seen quite a bit of Ogbene and he is a decent talent but still very raw and has alot to learn. Not the superstar talent that some seem to think. I think Trevor Clarke at Rovers is a better player

If Cork weren't paying the lad, it is little wonder he is going to Limerick.

Are you really think we havnt offered the lad a pro contract? The problem here being how much City think he's worth and how much the fella himself thinks or is being told. Lets not forget he only came upto the 1st team last summer, he hasnt had a full season yet.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement