Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

CHealy wrote: »
    We developed him from an u19 stage to breaking into the first team, regardless of wheter he ever signed pro forms with us we wouild still be entitle to the 60% if ye were to sell him to England within two years I believe. Dont ask me the ins and outs but its explained well on the CCFC Forum if your on that.

It would be a mistake because Cork City will be fighting for a league title and looking to progress even further in Europe this year. We will at some stage need every player signed up so it wont be a case of him not getting his chance, Caulfield brought him on with loads left in the second half of the Cup Final at 0-0, he clearly trusts him. Look if the lad want guaranteed first team football then fair enough, but I think he's more likely to be fighting it out in a relegation battle with Limerick that will ultimately get him no where rather than scrapping for a place in a City squad going for a league and European progression, the ultimate shop window for LOI club players.
    Hasn't he only been at Cork since August 2015?

He is a long way off going to England.
    I can see why he is going to Limerick. They play a good style & Russell is good at developing young players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

New Cork/Limerick thread to discuss this Carlos Tevez like transfer perhaps???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

If the rumours of him acting the maggot are true than honestly we might be dodging a bullet. Still a pity the way its gone though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Acting the maggot in what kinda way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Incorrect, we would be entitled to a compensation fee from Limerick and we would get 60% of any sell on fee should he move from Limerick within the next two years. Confirmed by solicitor on another forum.
    The solicitor is Incorrect. The 60% sell on fee is only valid for the first year. It operates on a sliding scale after that. His junior club(s) would be entitled to the majority of that as they trained him for the longest.

From the FAI`s website:

"If the player is transferred between Associations after becoming professional, the training clubs will receive up to 60% of the transfer fee as follows:

Player is transferred within 12 months of change of status: 60% of transfer fee

Player is transferred within 24 months of change of status: 45% of transfer fee

Player is transferred within 36 months of change of status: 20% of transfer fee

Player is transferred within 48 months of change of status: 10% of transfer fee "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

People seem to be going over the top on this. Doesn't make someone a bad apple to go from one Premier Division club who pay well to another Premier Division club who pay well.

Likely he thinks he'll get better opportunities there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

All the crap talk about advice from people, family dictating terms.

Maybe just maybe the kid wanted to play football every week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

How is it crap talk if you don't know either? Especially using the word 'maybe'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Nothing unusual about a young lad taking a step down to play first team football. Darly Horgan did the same when he joined Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

MD1990 wrote:
    Kenny is a better player than Turner. Ogbene will probably be uo against Dean Clarke for the left wing position but Clarke is a striker as well.

Kenny is hopeless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Here he is la......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Get outta here with that kinda logic, a 19yr old who just wants to play ball week in week out. Who'd have thought eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Been told that he is regretting the move already. He didnt understand the whole "being retained" thing and immediately wanted to renege on the contract as he is now essentially tied to Limerick until he is 24.

Also, money wise it seems that staying at City would have been better for him once bonuses etc kick in.

Very very badly advised, if even he was advised at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/clifford-ready-to-fall-back-in-love-with-the-game-35379580.html

Good interview with Conor Clifford in the Independent today.

Lads like Clifford and Paul Corry have endured tough times in England. It is great to see them coming back to the LOI and being enthusiastic about it.

gimmick wrote: »
    Been told that he is regretting the move already. He didnt understand the whole "being retained" thing and immediately wanted to renege on the contract as he is now essentially tied to Limerick until he is 24.

Also, money wise it seems that staying at City would have been better for him once bonuses etc kick in.

He hasn't signed for anybody yet, what's he regretting?

• Advertisement

AgileMyth wrote: »
    He hasn't signed for anybody yet, what's he regretting?

From what I'm told he signed on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Nothing unusual about a young lad taking a step down to play first team football. Darly Horgan did the same when he joined Cork.

It wasn't a step down, but didn't Maguire leave Dundalk for the same reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

PGE1970 wrote: »
    New Cork/Limerick thread to discuss this Carlos Tevez like transfer perhaps???
    Anyone know where you'd get a "Welcome to Limerick" poster?

joeysoap wrote: »

To be fair it was at the time, City were 1st Division when he came in on loan originally from Sligo and we ended up signing him. Maguire is just a case of a transfer working out incredibly well. Correct me if Im wrong but I believe Kenny wanted to keep a hold of him but couldn't guarantee him the same gametime he'd get at City?

Is it a simple case of a young fella wanting to play ball for Ogbene going to Limerick? No way. If the deal he has been said to have signed is true, then he has been on the receiving end of disastrous advise if he does have intentions of going to England.

Anyone know where you'd get a "Welcome to Limerick" poster?

Surely a "Welcome to the Real Munster"???!!

:D

• Advertisement

How is he tied to Limerick until he`s 24? Unless he signed a 5 year contract which would be truly extraordinary in this league.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

To be fair it was at the time, City were 1st Division when he came in on loan originally from Sligo and we ended up signing him. Maguire is just a case of a transfer working out incredibly well. Correct me if Im wrong but I believe Kenny wanted to keep a hold of him but couldn't guarantee him the same gametime he'd get at City?

Is it a simple case of a young fella wanting to play ball for Ogbene going to Limerick? No way. If the deal he has been said to have signed is true, then he has been on the receiving end of disastrous advise if he does have intentions of going to England.
    Why is it that disastrous of a move footballing wise. Limerick play a good brand of football and Markets Field should have good crowds. He should have more opportunities with Limerick also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Sander Puri to Waterford rumours

How is he tied to Limerick until he`s 24? Unless he signed a 5 year contract which would be truly extraordinary in this league.

Through retention. All they need do is offer him a new contract when his current deal is winding down and they will be able to command a fee regardless of whether he accepts it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Kenny wanted to hold him for sure, but as he was one of 3 (McMillan, Kikduff) Dundalk couldn't guarantee first team football, while City almost could. Isn't that the same here, with Limerick the young lad (who looked good in the Aviva) has a better chance of regular first team football. I have posted earlier about the benefits or otherwise to City, Pats, Dundalk etc running U15, U17 and U19 teams as it's very hard for even good players to make it, usually the beneficiaries are the other clubs. (Tin hat time).

Ogbene not likely to play much football with Cork next season. Not u19 anymore and without a u23/reserve league he would be playing very little football more than likely with Dooley Sheppard and Beattie all ahead of him for a wing position.

We will never know, but with Europe and another run to the cup final to play Dundalk again, I reckon he could have started 15 - 20 games over the season. Not too shabby for a guy who has only just made the breakthrough.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Ogbene not likely to play much football with Cork next season. Not u19 anymore and without a u23/reserve league he would be playing very little football more than likely with Dooley Sheppard and Beattie all ahead of him for a wing position.

I think he would have got enough chances, he was brought on at the Cup Final at 0-0 mid way through the second half, thats a big stage and Caulfield trusted him enough to do it. Had a great chance aswll only for a fine save from Rogers.

If England is his goal, then theres not many clubs that can match Cork City for sending fellas over and especially with half the regular 11 being offered deals in England after our Europa run.

Either way I wish him all the best at Limerick, he always gave 100% when he put on the City shirt be it u19 or senior, and having followed his progress, I hope everything works out for him.

In other news, John Kavanagh signed a new contract with City today, if he can stay injury free he will be like a new signing for us following being out all of last year. We beat UCC 2-0 in a friendly last night, mostly trialists and new signings playing, Aganovic impressed at CB and our new hero Pascal doing a bit of huffing and puffing.

Also great to see Dundalk replace the pitch, I know its artificial again but literally anything would be better than what was there.

wadacrack wrote: »

Ogbene would have got a fair few chances next season. Shep is hot and cold and would be comfortably vying with him for a place, Beattie will hopefully be moved further up now Kav will be back fit and Dooley should start left wing but Ogbene can play both sides, not sure why some think he's just a left winger.

joeysoap wrote: »
    They were in the first division when he went on loan. We won the league the year he went permanently..

• Advertisement

Through retention. All they need do is offer him a new contract when his current deal is winding down and they will be able to command a fee regardless of whether he accepts it or not.

Not true.
    It`s E150 compensation for every year he is with Limerick up until the age of 23.
    The key is a transfer to a foreign FA. They would have to share out that money with his "training clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Looks like a great bit of business. Looked very raw anytime I've seen him but tones of potential.

Disappointed to lose him and it will be interesting to see what comes out about why he's ended up at Limerick. However, while he showed talent, he wasn't absolutely amazing either that some people seem to be making out, was just a lot of potential. I'm not sure if it's just to make it seem like a huge loss to City or what. I would bet a lot haven't seen him play much anyway, heck even a lot of City fans wouldn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Its very difficult for teams at the top of the league to give young players enough game time.

It's no surprise that Cork and Dundalk have both lost their most promising young player to other clubs.

Corholio wrote: »
    Disappointed to lose him and it will be interesting to see what comes out about why he's ended up at Limerick. However, while he showed talent, he wasn't absolutely amazing either that some people seem to be making out, was just a lot of potential. I'm not sure if it's just to make it seem like a huge loss to City or what. I would bet a lot haven't seen him play much anyway, heck even a lot of City fans wouldn't have.
    Would agree with this. He is a talent but needs to tidy up his game technically. This is probably why he never got called to the Irish u19 squad last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Dundalk are going with the plastic for next year.......hope they have it nice and manicured for us in february..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I know a player when I see one. With some bulking up he will be a stand out player in this league.

There was a reason there was a big surge in excitement whenever he came on as a sub.

Monumental **** up from the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Only seen him in(full 90 min) the 2 big European games the u19s were in but 3-4 youngsters caught my eye more then him. In saying that still a loss to City as I think he has makings of fine player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Stephen Elliott off to Drogheda which is strange as he couldn't really produce the goods at Shels.

Only seen him in(full 90 min) the 2 big European games the u19s were in but 3-4 youngsters caught my eye more then him. In saying that still a loss to City as I think he has makings of fine player

And so we enter the fourth day of the Ogbene Thread (formerly known as LoI rumours, transfer gossip etc).

dan1895 wrote: »
    Stephen Elliott off to Drogheda which is strange as he couldn't really produce the goods at Shels.

Drogheda also sign Thomas Byrne. Local lad from Brighton u-21s (who has nothing to do with either Ogbene, Cork or Limerick, I'm afraid).

And so we enter the fourth day of the Ogbene Thread (formerly known as LoI rumours, transfer gossip etc).

Didn't realise there was a time limit on how long topics can be discussed. Its a big deal for both Limerick and CCFC.

Though I'm beginning to think that this guys ability has gone from potentially a good LOI player to probably world beater once he gets a few more games played :)

Didn't realise there was a time limit on how long topics can be discussed. Its a big deal for both Limerick and CCFC.

Though I'm beginning to think that this guys ability has gone from potentially a good LOI player to probably world beater once he gets a few more games played :)

I don't believe that there are limits.

But this thread has been utterly hijacked by a discussion on one player by supporters of two teams over a period of four days. At a quick glance, the LoI thread has had 95% of posts in the last few days dedicated to one player transfer.

Would any of those contributors so beguiled by the subject acknowledge that it might not resonate quite as much with the supporters of other clubs who enjoy this forum for league wide gossip etc?

The polite thing might be to start a separate thread where you can analyse this single subject to your heart's content?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Never mind a separate thread for Ogbene. When are we getting a 2017 thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Its good to see chat here, keep going.

Anyone hear anything about some James Connor dude for Sligo Rovers?

But this thread has been utterly hijacked by a discussion on one player by supporters of two teams over a period of four days. At a quick glance, the LoI thread has had 95% of posts in the last few days dedicated to one player transfer.

Would any of those contributors so beguiled by the subject acknowledge that it might not resonate quite as much with the supporters of other clubs who enjoy this forum for league wide gossip etc?

The polite thing might be to start a separate thread where you can analyse this single subject to your heart's content?

Polite? Lol.

Polite? Lol.

Care to elaborate?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Didnt realise Cork City and Limerick were no longer in the LOI, or that Ogbene going from one to the other isnt transfer gossip. Get a grip.

Any Limerick fans know how long he signed for?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement