Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Kenny Browne has a second year

That's what I thought as well. The other post just scared me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Wilberto wrote: »
    That's what I thought as well. The other post just scared me!

Not as straight forward as that it seems unfortunately, some murmurs of discontent from him. Would be a big blow to lose him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Speaking of Kenny, someone has been having fun with his wiki page the last couple of days :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Browne
    Slept with John Terry's wife
    Bayern Munich
    Champions League winner (1): 2013

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Swindon Town are a football club, they didn't buy them.
    Lee Power bought them. It wont end well though but hopefully they get back to the PD and the fall isn't too big.
    Genuinely hope this is the one that goes. Too many teams have looked at the teams before them (how could teams not have looked at the early screwups like Shamrock Rovers and Shels and not just learned a lesson to live within your means) and seen a team who went into financial meltdown, but then ended up back where they were at the beginning within a season or 2.

Genuinely will take a Waterford or Bray to actually genuinely go before people might start looking at it and stop what is essentially financial doping. When you look at the advantage this financial doping will give Waterford and Bray over the other teams there is pretty much no reason to have sympathy for these teams when the consequences finally come around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

joeysoap wrote: »
    Where the fcuk are Waterford getting the money, Swindon can't be that flush? I thought you could only have a wages bill that was a % of the gate money.

John Delaney is a Blaa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Kenny Browne has a second year

He's trying to get it cancelled apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

CSF......early screw-ups..shamrock rovers ....what are you talking about?

damemcd wrote: »
    CSF......early screw-ups..shamrock rovers ....what are you talking about?
    Not sure if you're joking, but if you're a new fan to the league
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/other/rovers-saved-from-liquidation-213830.html

In fairness youre not comparing like with like,at that stage Rovers were still suffering the fallout of Kilcoynes greed {aided by his buddies in the Fai} and not the reults of flagrant spending which was what happened under Byrnes stewardship at Shelbourne.In reality , I dont think theres a club in the league, past or present, who couldnt be included at some stage in that category of screw ups, as you call them.Like a dodgy marriage Ive enjoyed the ups and downs of the league for more years than I care to remember, possibly even more than your good self!

In fairness youre not comparing like with like,at that stage Rovers were still suffering the fallout of Kilcoynes greed {aided by his buddies in the Fai} and not the reults of flagrant spending which was what happened under Byrnes stewardship at Shelbourne.In reality , I dont think theres a club in the league, past or present, who couldnt be included at some stage in that category of screw ups, as you call them.Like a dodgy marriage Ive enjoyed the ups and downs of the league for more years than I care to remember, possibly even more than your good self!
    Eh you don't run up 3 million in debt by spending within your means. One can put such a statement in whatever context they like and that still rings true.

And I wasn't having a pop at Shamrock Rovers (I'm a Shels fan, the other team I referenced). My point was that after seeing historically successful sides like Rovers and Shels having to play First Division football due to the implosion, teams might have started to learn a lesson.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, enjoy your year.......with Villa struggling to hit top six, I hope Shels find a bit of form early doors..

Fair enough, enjoy your year.......with Villa struggling to hit top six, I hope Shels find a bit of form early doors..
    Haha, I've unfortunately become long accustomed to supporting sh*te teams:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Apparently Ciaran O'Connor is going on loan to Harps til July. Good potential to our attacking side this year with him and Morrisey up top.
    I'm presuming keating won't be signing at this stage either.... Can't see to many rushing to take him. Attitude/work rate has seriously dropped off since he was first with us

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

overshoot wrote: »
    Apparently Ciaran O'Connor is going on loan to Harps til July. Good potential to our attacking side this year with him and Morrisey up top.
    I'm presuming keating won't be signing at this stage either.... Can't see to many rushing to take him. Attitude/work rate has seriously dropped off since he was first with us

Good move by Harps, if he plays regularly he'll score goals.

Presume won't be eligible to play against Dundalk? ( his brother when on loan to Derry didn't play against Dundalk)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Just take a minute to reflect here (maybe a Google too) - Pro10 have made this whole Waterford and Lee Power thing come together. It wasn't just a "Oh I'll take them over as John Delaney has a love in with them", different teams were on the card too. I'll give it 6-12 months before it goes pop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

^^That would be my concern also. Hope things don't work out too badly for our lads who went over there, presumably promised big bucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Just take a minute to reflect here (maybe a Google too) - Pro10 have made this whole Waterford and Lee Power thing come together. It wasn't just a "Oh I'll take them over as John Delaney has a love in with them", different teams were on the card too. I'll give it 6-12 months before it goes pop.

Could you link to a few articles about what role pro 10 had?

Although I googled pro 10 and this came up:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/the-pro10-team-who-are-michael-glynn-eamonn-collins-and-ken-murray-1.2759301

The whole thing is obviously rotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Kenny Browne due to sign next week?
    Wilberto wrote: »
    What?

Kenny trying to wiggle out of his two year contract or so the story goes, something about him building a gaf in Waterford (Fair enough) and going full time with Nightline. Begs the question though, why did he sign a two year contract in the first place if he knew his situation was going to change half way through. Personally think its rubbish but it wouldnt surprise me after the **** week City had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Any idea as to why Ogbene left? Or is it just rumours here and there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

CHealy wrote: »
    Kenny trying to wiggle out of his two year contract or so the story goes, something about him building a gaf in Waterford (Fair enough) and going full time with Nightline. Begs the question though, why did he sign a two year contract in the first place if he knew his situation was going to change half way through. Personally think its rubbish but it wouldnt surprise me after the **** week City had.

Alan Reynolds.

Car sharing

Etc.

Browne being extremely unprofessional.
    Any idea as to why Ogbene left? Or is it just rumours here and there

Careful now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Probably because he didn't know his situation would change. He did sign a year ago things can change.
    Most likely he is being offered more money at Waterford & it is his hometown club.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Probably because he didn't know his situation would change. He did sign a year ago things can change.
    Most likely he is being offered more money at Waterford & it is his hometown club.

If it is true, then its fair enough if his situation changed, it happens, but he's still in a two year contract and Waterford will have to pay up if they want him. Be interesting to see if he lines out next Saturday as we play Waterford at the RSC.

And there is something seriously wrong if Waterford are offering our number 1 CB more money than Cork City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

If it is true, then its fair enough if his situation changed, it happens, but he's still in a two year contract and Waterford will have to pay up if they want him. Be interesting to see if he lines out next Saturday as we play Waterford at the RSC.

And there is something seriously wrong if Waterford are offering our number 1 CB more money than Cork City.

Doubt they are offering more money but possibly a part time deal with a generous enough wage.

Doubt they are offering more money but possibly a part time deal with a generous enough wage.

Most likely case if it is true, I wish him well but he does have a year left on his contract with City so we'll either have to be compensated or he'll have to stay for the year. He comes across as an honest bloke so if he does stay Id be confident he'll still give 100%.

Who's this Bastien Hery guys ye've just signed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

joeysoap wrote: »
    Good move by Harps, if he plays regularly he'll score goals.

Presume won't be eligible to play against Dundalk? ( his brother when on loan to Derry didn't play against Dundalk)

It was Ciaran himself who was at Derry.

Should turn out to be a decent Prem Division player, if his ego dosnt get in the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Most likely case if it is true, I wish him well but he does have a year left on his contract with City so we'll either have to be compensated or he'll have to stay for the year. He comes across as an honest bloke so if he does stay Id be confident he'll still give 100%.

His highlights include missing a penalty against liverpool, and funny hair.

Waterford looking to tie down Kenny McEvoy too? surely he'd be looking for big bucks

Waterford looking to tie down Kenny McEvoy too? surely he'd be looking for big bucks
    He's playing in like the English 7th tier. Can't imagine he's getting much there.

CSF wrote: »
    He's playing in like the English 7th tier. Can't imagine he's getting much there.

Ah, thought he was with York

• Advertisement

Haven't the foggiest idea, came through the PSG academy and since then has been in the lower leagues of England and apparently had a decent game against Liverpool in the cup but then lost on penalties. Probably just being brought in as back up but could turn out to be quality or a flop. Rodrigo Toshi though is the one to watch out for, has looked quality in training and if he brings the samr quality throughout the league he's gonna be a top player for the club this season.

Ah, thought he was with York
    No I'm almost sure he dropped down again. Even still, I doubt York are paying players huge amounts.

No I'm almost sure he dropped down again. Even still, I doubt York are paying players huge amounts.

Going by wiki he plays with South Normanton Athletic F.C. in the East Midlands Counties Football League.

Going by wiki he plays with South Normanton Athletic F.C. in the East Midlands Counties Football League.

The 10th tier of England. Equivalent to around the Mayo League here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/sligorovers/status/823598490890682368

Sligo have signed Jonah Ayunga a Brighton u23 striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

We desperately need this lad or Stevens from Peterborough to be a goalscorer or we'll be closer to the bottom than we'll be to the European spots.

Shame we couldn't land Adam Morgan. He has 7 goals in 6 games for Halifax..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Can't wait to see him in a cork city shirt in the near future :D

Very difficult to know what way this season will turn out for Rovers.
    If one of Raf, Place, Steven or Ayunga don't hit at least 10 goals I think we can forget about Europe and it`ll be all about staying out of the bottom 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Dunno how many of you use twitter, but if you do, you'll likely know @HistoryLOI, if you don't check him out. He came to me with a wee idea about doing a comic on the Gabay LOI Branding report. He did the writing and I drew it. Here's what we came up with ^^

C24ZAa7WQAATm2-.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Presidents cup to be played at Turners Cross again this year on Friday Feb 17th :)

Presumably as the Oriel pitch wont be ready and Tallaght would draw absolutely nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

You have it in one gimmick, I think it was due to be played in Oriel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

gimmick wrote: »
    Presidents cup to be played at Turners Cross again this year on Friday Feb 17th :)

Presumably as the Oriel pitch wont be ready and Tallaght would draw absolutely nobody.

Obviously no issue playing it in Cork this year but it was comical playing it there last year when Dundalk were league and cup champions.

It's a good competitive friendly. Shame it isn't televised

doncarlos wrote: »
    Obviously no issue playing it in Cork this year but it was comical playing it there last year when Dundalk were league and cup champions.

It's a good competitive friendly. Shame it isn't televised

Think it was streamed live on FAI TV last year? At least its something. Friday night should see a much larger crowd than the Saturday afternoon last year, good somewhat competitive fixture to get both teams ready for the week after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Think it was streamed live on FAI TV last year? At least its something. Friday night should see a much larger crowd than the Saturday afternoon last year, good somewhat competitive fixture to get both teams ready for the week after.

I was watching it. It looked like it was being filmed on a camera phone from the early 2000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

doncarlos wrote: »
    I was watching it. It looked like it was being filmed on a camera phone from the early 2000s.

FAI put no effort into the streams. They streamed UCD vs Limerick last season from the bowl and it was lagging every two seconds for everyone watching. They didn't even acknowledge the fact it was lagging. A few weeks before that and a few weeks later the IRFU streamed match's from the bowl and there was no problem with lagging at all so clearly the FAI were using bad equipment or something everything they do with the league is just so half assed

I know the guy who's trying to get the streaming up and running, they've done it for a good few WNL games. Doing his best with limited equipment. Encoding is a bit complicated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

I know the guy who's trying to get the streaming up and running, they've done it for a good few WNL games. Doing his best with limited equipment. Encoding is a bit complicated

It's a good idea but you've got to go all in on it or else it lags and people get annoyed and will never use it again. The FAI I don't think are willing to put of the relatively small amount of money to do it properly, for equipment and such, by the looks of it. I hope your man keeps trying though as it would be great to have if done well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

The FAI made a dog's dinner of trying to stream the FAI Cup draw last season. What chance have they with a live match?

The FAI made a dog's dinner of trying to stream the FAI Cup draw last season. What chance have they with a live match?

It`s pretty grim that the FAI are tasked with turning the fortunes of the LOI around and they can`t stream matches and draws properly.

Sligo Rovers played Westport United (Mayo League team) the other day and Westport streamed the match without a bother.

Live streaming should be a pretty basic thing for a national football association.

What platform did Westport stream the match on, out of interest?

I'd say the best thing to do is keeping asking for it. I think increasing online streaming/commentary is definitely a great way to get the LOI "over" with new people.

Youths got really great numbers on our online commentaries last year, I was amazed where people started listening from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

What platform did Westport stream the match on, out of interest?

Facebook live. It was pitchside but never froze and was watchable. Better than any attempt the FAI have made streaming.

The BWIN streams from the showgrounds were broken all season I was told. No audio and constantly freezing. A shame they weren't working right for expats.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement