Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I think Facebook Live is fine for small clubs to do something decent with a single camera, but I hope FAI keep pursuing Youtube live streaming as a platform, if not a platform on their own website. The UCI (the FIFA equivalent for cycling) broadcast most of their track and cross world championships live on Youtube and it works extremely well. The FAI need to sort out their equipment, particularly their encoding and bitrate issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Oat23 wrote: »
    Facebook live. It was pitchside but never froze and was watchable. Better than any attempt the FAI have made streaming.

The BWIN streams from the showgrounds were broken all season I was told. No audio and constantly freezing. A shame they weren't working right for expats.

This is what gets me about peoples expectations of the BWIN streams.

They were never meant to appeal to a Rovers fan on a beach in Australia.
    They are mostly for Asian and continental European markets where obscure leagues like ours provide value as not many people back games and so odds can sometimes be pretty generous.

Yeah, but it would have been nice if the people responsible for the job did it reasonably well (in my opinion, they didn't). Simple stuff like pointing the camera at the right spot reasonably well was lacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

This is what gets me about peoples expectations of the BWIN streams.

They were never meant to appeal to a Rovers fan on a beach in Australia.
    They are mostly for Asian and continental European markets where obscure leagues like ours provide value as not many people back games and so odds can sometimes be pretty generous.

I'm fully aware of their purpose and said the exact same thing you have said this time last year. But as Darkglasses said, it was also used by many expat fans to watch games, but our own expats couldn't watch our home ones.

I watched some of our away games on it and it worked well most of the time. Watching games played under lights was crap though.

Fair enough lads but that's still missing the point.
    Bwin are clearly making money out of it or they wouldn't have it. They didn't give the league a 100k+ out of the good of their heart.
    Its a static camera. Quality was always likely to be poor.
    As long as a lad in China can flick between tabs on his browser and see what the score is in the Sligo Rovers V Bray game, that's all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Bray are our dodgy team :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Edit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

This game is now not going ahead.

Dundalks pre season fixture list is:

January 30: Glenavon A
    February 1-6: Spain
    February 9: St Pat’s CY A
    February 14: Longford A
    February 17: Cork City A

Drogheda manager Pete Mahon not happy

https://twitter.com/McLaughlinGavin/...37296282472448
    Follow
    Gavin McLaughlin @McLaughlinGavin
    Malone Cup may not go ahead and Pete Mahon's not too impressed. ☎️�� https://twitter.com/stephenneary79/status/823900848698822656
    11:32 PM - 24 Jan 2017
    1 1 Retweet 3 3 likes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Sean Connors soon to be appointed manager of Real Mountjoy :
    http://donegalnews.com/2017/01/jail-sentence-former-sligo-bohs-manager/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

jesus, there were Sligo Rovers and Bohs fans on here defending the antics of that...man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Ruaidhri Higgins back at Dundalk.

What's the deal with Drogs?

Couldn't the FAI have contracted a NI referee if they couldn't do it?

red sean wrote: »
    Sean Connors soon to be appointed manager of Real Mountjoy :
    http://donegalnews.com/2017/01/jail-sentence-former-sligo-bohs-manager/

I read about a guy in the US getting released early because they spelt his name wrong on documents at the prison.

I say he has a good shot at that happening, as almost everyone in Sligo still believes his name is Sean Connors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'm fully aware of their purpose and said the exact same thing you have said this time last year. But as Darkglasses said, it was also used by many expat fans to watch games, but our own expats couldn't watch our home ones.

I watched some of our away games on it and it worked well most of the time. Watching games played under lights was crap though.

I watched the BWIN streams a few times last year and given there's no alternative for people living abroad its at least something. It helped that I could tune into the Rebel Radio lads stream to get some commentary.

Doesnt help that trying to watch any of the games RTE is broadcasting isnt possible for people abroad without a VPN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Wait, did he discover Seamus Coleman?

I don't think they mentioned it enough in that piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Wait, did he discover Seamus Coleman?

I don't think they mentioned it enough in that piece.

you'd swear no other clubs were in for him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Paddy McCourt reportedly training with Dundalk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Paddy McCourt reportedly training with Dundalk

https://twitter.com/PFAIOfficial/status/824375308560330757

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ryan Delaney has signed for City on loan from Burton Albion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

See there's going to be a new website with added features like player profiles and minute by minute updates of all games. Hope it works well.

Mushy wrote: »
    See there's going to be a new website with added features like player profiles and minute by minute updates of all games. Hope it works well.

Couldn't be any worse than the current one. A few examples of some of the imaginative headlines:
    "Waterford FC snap up former Tottenham Hotspur winger Kenneth McEvoy "
    "Drogheda snap up former Irish international"
    "Galway United snap up goalkeeping duo Ciaran Nugent and Conor Winn for the 2017 season"
    "Sligo Rovers snap up highly-rated forward Matthew Stevens on loan from Peterborough United"
    "Champions Dundalk snap up Pats midfielder Jamie McGrath and defender Niclas Vemmelund"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

That isn't what he said.

That isn't what he said.

The brand guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Got a good look at the Youths squad in Carlow IT vs. Shamrock Rovers tonight. Really happy with the squad, Locke has summoned up a lot of really decent names from around the first division. Eoin Porter growing into a very good forward, big name for the future. All the signs of being the next really great player we produce. Hopefully not long until all the announcements are finalized.

Shamrock Rovers had a lot of trialists and didn't really look the full package. Simon Madden looked absolutely superb but there wasn't an awful lot going on up front. Miele and Connolly were quiet enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Any ex Shels among the bunch?

Don't think so. Mostly ex Galway, Waterford, Bray and Cabinteely I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

The brand guy?

The site was announced at the media workshop this week. I didn't think he said minute by minute updates, but I could have taken it up wrong. I didn't see the article on the site about it until now.

The brand guy?

The site was announced at the media workshop this week. I didn't think he said minute by minute updates, but I could have taken it up wrong. I didn't see the article on the site about it until now.

I only saw the announcement on the fai site. I know extratime do it for as many games as possible, but it should be expected of the association leading the game. Let's hope it's a start in making the league look better.

Richie towell scores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

400 season tickets sold at the Waterford Cork game today, fantastic numbers. And people said football was dead in this city :rolleyes:, all it needed was a kickstart. Also saw Stephen Bradley at the game, wonder who he was looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Sean McGuire lucky to not have his leg broken with a disgusting tackle from some Waterford guy.

https://mobile.twitter.com/posephoto/status/825366253057560576/photo/1

overshoot wrote: »
    you'd swear no other clubs were in for him!

Thought you'd want to forget about missing out on him because Harps wouldn't pay a bus fare :pac:.
    400 season tickets sold at the Waterford Cork game today, fantastic numbers. And people said football was dead in this city rolleyes.png, all it needed was a kickstart. Also saw Stephen Bradley at the game, wonder who he was looking at.

Will they stick around when it goes arseways like every other time in LOI history some guy has come in and solely financed a team? Will they f*ck.

The best you can hope for is this fella sticks around long enough to get the younger generation hooked which will give you the core support you need to remain a competitive team. Based on your average attendances, the core support currently doesn't exist to be any more than a bottom half 1D team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

gimmick wrote: »
    Sean McGuire lucky to not have his leg broken with a disgusting tackle from some Waterford guy.

https://mobile.twitter.com/posephoto/status/825366253057560576/photo/1

Over-reaction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Over-reaction?

He could have been killed ffs

And is boasting about it on social media.

It was a leg breaking challenge. At best he was "over committed". But it's grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

It was a leg breaking challenge. At best he was "over committed". But it's grand.

James joined in the "bants" apparently

https://www.balls.ie/football/james-mcclean-seanie-maguire-357846

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

That escalated quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

Patww79 wrote: »

most wouldn't go on Social media bragging about nearly injuring someone seriously now would they

• Advertisement

Erra it's ok. The "400" new season ticket holders have a new hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Back to rumours, and I see Paddy McCourt is training with Dundalk.
    Trying to get a contract?

And any news on Michael Duffy signing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Theres no doubt in my mind that Patrick McClean went into that tackle trying to hurt Maguire, if Maguire hadnt of seen it coming and adjusted im certain it was a broken leg. Nasty nasty tackle and has no place in a friendly game. The goading on social media afterwards didnt suprise me to be honest. Life must be **** for Patrick seeing as he'll forever be known as "James McCleans brother" and then for your brother to be thick head Jimmy McClean...............

As for the game itself, Waterford edged the first half they hit the post twice but City came out and stepped it up a few gears in the second and were well in control until the injury, might aswell have called the game off after that cause it effectively ended the game as a contest. Mark O'Sullivan is going to rip the 1st Division to pieces and Keohane and McCormak look like fantastic signings for City.

NIMAN wrote: »
    And any news on Michael Duffy signing?

Supposed to be announced today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

CHealy wrote: »
    Theres no doubt in my mind that Patrick McClean went into that tackle trying to hurt Maguire, if Maguire hadnt of seen it coming and adjusted im certain it was a broken leg. Nasty nasty tackle and has no place in a friendly game. The goading on social media afterwards didnt suprise me to be honest. Life must be **** for Patrick seeing as he'll forever be known as "James McCleans brother" and then for your brother to be thick head Jimmy McClean...............

As for the game itself, Waterford edged the first half they hit the post twice but City came out and stepped it up a few gears in the second and were well in control until the injury, might aswell have called the game off after that cause it effectively ended the game as a contest. Mark O'Sullivan is going to rip the 1st Division to pieces and Keohane and McCormak look like fantastic signings for City.
    Agreed on Marky. He's a very, very unusual player, but a superb one. He'll get Waterford promoted on his own!

Its rare he fails to win a header. And when he doesn't go for the header its because he knows he will win the second ball easier.

His reading of centre halves is excellent and will be moreso with more limited centre halves in D1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

But his leg isn't broken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Thought you'd want to forget about missing out on him because Harps wouldn't pay a bus fare :pac:.

Will they stick around when it goes arseways like every other time in LOI history some guy has come in and solely financed a team? Will they f*ck.

The best you can hope for is this fella sticks around long enough to get the younger generation hooked which will give you the core support you need to remain a competitive team. Based on your average attendances, the core support currently doesn't exist to be any more than a bottom half 1D team.

i probably should blank it from memory alright!

In fairness, LOI attendances are purely based on league position, Harps (give or take) 2016-1344; 2015-794; 2014-449. Waterford had 316 last year.
    Admittedly 2014 was low for us and waterford are fairly stable, but it doesnt take much to move up or down in this league. If waterford can double their attendance next year they would be be the highest attended D1 club based on 2016 figures. Given theyre in a city of 50k its not beyond the realms of possibility if theyre banging in goals like limerick last year. In saying that, if they lose the backer it gives a very real chance to go bust with the money theyre spending, even if they double the crowd.

In other news... thank god we have re-signed Houston, work had been raising commitment problems. Also "Wexford FC" next year all but done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

But his leg isn't broken?
    That's a stupid comment, but it doesn't mean you're stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

That's a stupid comment, but it doesn't mean you're stupid.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Is there a video of the challenge floating about? From the still image of it alone it doesn't look quite as bad as the furore suggests so I'd like to see the challenge.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement