Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Cork lads complaining about a tackle.

Do they ever watch Alan Bennett "tackling" in the first five minutes of every game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Cork lads complaining about a tackle.

Do they ever watch Alan Bennett "tackling" in the first five minutes of every game?

Big difference between getting stuck in at the start of a game and intentionally going out to hurt a fella in a pre season friendly.

I see Dundalks official Instagram was also liking the comments left by the McCleans which is bizarre to say the least but sure we know all about Dundalk class and lack of, you'd think the three in a row Champions would have more pressing issues but sure water is wet and Dundalk is Dundalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I have never seen Bennett try to intentionally hurt someone.

I have seen Bennett go in strong plenty.

Big difference there.

gimmick wrote: »
    I have never seen Bennett try to intentionally hurt someone.

I have seen Bennett go in strong plenty.

Big difference there.

I've never suggested Bennett tried to intentionally hurt anyone. Nor would I, because how would I know.

McClean deserves to be criticised for his tackle. It was a pre-season friendly afterall.

However, claiming that he tried to intentionally injure Maguire is taking it too far.

Thankfully, no damage was done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

CHealy wrote: »
    Big difference between getting stuck in at the start of a game and intentionally going out to hurt a fella in a pre season friendly.

I see Dundalks official Instagram was also liking the comments left by the McCleans which is bizarre to say the least but sure we know all about Dundalk class and lack of, you'd think the three in a row Champions would have more pressing issues but sure water is wet and Dundalk is Dundalk.

The most pressing matter in Dundalk, is making sure Oriel can host the 1st Champions League Qualifier.

https://www.balls.ie/football/cork-city-galway-348403

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

CSF wrote: »
    Is there a video of the challenge floating about? From the still image of it alone it doesn't look quite as bad as the furore suggests so I'd like to see the challenge.
    I don't know if there was a camera at the game, but there were 4 stills posted on our forum which seem to be pretty telling. However, you get the feeling that we'd have forgotten about it by now if it wasn't for the attention seeking by the lad involved. I think we should just move on now......it's water under the bridge.

The most pressing matter in Dundalk, is making sure Oriel can host the 1st Champions League Qualifier.

https://www.balls.ie/football/cork-city-galway-348403

And so it should be, still doesnt move away from the fact that even though with all that going on, yer social media went off and liked posts of McClean boasting about a nasty tackle, what would you make of that?

Not sure why you linked that article when it has nothing to do with whats being discussed.

And so it should be, still doesnt move away from the fact that even though with all that going on, yer social media went off and liked posts of McClean boasting about a nasty tackle, what would you make of that?

Not sure why you linked that article when it has nothing to do with whats being discussed.

I can't speak on behalf of the person who runs the instagram page, but I'd say he wasn't the only who found James McCleans retort to Big Ears Sean Maguire funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I can't speak on behalf of the person who runs the instagram page, but I'd say he wasn't the only who found James McCleans retort to Big Ears Sean Maguire funny.
    Whatever about his ears, his brain is certainly bigger than McClean's anyway.

Says it all about Dundalk folk really, unless of course Im mistaken and you are indeed a 6 year old schoolkid on the playground???

• Advertisement

Whatever about his ears, his brain is certainly bigger than McClean's anyway.

Yet McClean is the established Premiership and international player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

You were given out about Dundalks lack of integrity on social media, I was just pointing out your club is just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Are City wearing a white jersey this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Only just seen the tackle here - https://youtu.be/PsSz5rh3HIE?t=2m35s

Is that it? That's what all the belly-aching is about? It's a proper decent hard challenge - mistimed, but I don't think he was going out to break anyone's leg. More of that this season please.

Is that it? That's what all the belly-aching is about? It's a proper decent hard challenge - mistimed, but I don't think he was going out to break anyone's leg. More of that this season please.

He's absolutely clattered him, straight red in any game.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Couldn't agree more. But it wasn't the assault that I was expecting to see. He upended him - shook his every bone - but it was an honest attempt to get the ball. Let's have more of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

That's a red card any day of the week.

Caulfield has sent players out to kick lumps out of Dundalk players many times so he can have little complaints when it happens to one of his own.

doncarlos wrote: »
    That's a red card any day of the week.

Caulfield has sent players out to kick lumps out of Dundalk players many times so he can have little complaints when it happens to one of his own.

Yeah, red for me too. But little difference from a typical Bennett tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Couldn't agree more. But it wasn't the assault that I was expecting to see. He upended him - shook his every bone - but it was an honest attempt to get the ball. Let's have more of that.

I think it's a bit more than an upending there. Doesn't look much like an honest effort to get the ball either. Then to seemingly cheer it on social media...not the brightest move!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I think it's a bit more than an upending there. Doesn't look much like an honest effort to get the ball either. Then to seemingly cheer it on social media...not the brightest move!

Saw the tackle on youtube, it actually looks pretty bad.

But whether it was mistimed or malicious or he intended to get the ball or do the player...one thing is clear, celebrating a tackle that sees an opponent stretchered off is moronic beyond belief. By both brothers. Who knows, the next mistimed/ malicious/ accidental/ horror tackle could end the career of one of them. I have seen plenty of bad tackles, I don't think I have ever seen a player so dumb as to revel in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

Saw the tackle on youtube, it actually looks pretty bad.

But whether it was mistimed or malicious or he intended to get the ball or do the player...one thing is clear, celebrating a tackle that sees an opponent stretchered off is moronic beyond belief. By both brothers. Who knows, the next mistimed/ malicious/ accidental/ horror tackle could end the career of one of them. I have seen plenty of bad tackles, I don't think I have ever seen a player so dumb as to revel in it.

That's the issue I have with it - the 2 dopes celebrating it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The 'light of day' you speak is a City supporter posting once about it on a forum about LOI. It's hardly BBC Breaking News.

Would this 'light of day' be the same for other supporters?

All this talk of Bennett being a malicious player is nonsense to be honest. A few more players down the years with City you would be a lot closer with that tag but certainly not Bennett. Dundalk players have hardly been angels in matches against City either, there was nearly a pool going on for the amount of games O'Donnell could luckily avoid being sent off in against City. But to be honest most matches have been played competitively between the two teams, saying any team was sent out to kick lumps is drivel tbh.

Started work in pitch. I saw Suttons pitch on MOD last night against Leeds, looked good.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DundalkFC/status/826079041111392257/photo/3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Cork seem intent on having a go at their Munster rivals this pre-season, first the Ogbene transfer and now this. What have ye got planned for Cobh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

To the guy that posted the league restructure stuff a while back have you done anything more with it since? Have you sent it to any journalists or anything?

Corholio wrote: »
    to be honest most matches have been played competitively between the two teams, saying any team was sent out to kick lumps is drivel tbh.

https://youtu.be/fZk2ZFL3hII?t=59s

This was after 3 seconds on a player that had just returned from a serious injury that had him out most of the season. Not much condemnation from Cork fans about that tackle. Cork also had two players booked in the first five minutes. Ah but I'm sure Caulfield's instructions were to NOT kick anything that moved in a white jersey...

This was after 3 seconds on a player that had just returned from a serious injury that had him out most of the season. Not much condemnation from Cork fans about that tackle. Cork also had two players booked in the first five minutes. Ah but I'm sure Caulfield's instructions were to NOT kick anything that moved in a white jersey...

It was a foul, O'Donnell got up straight away. The foul that started this debate was one that had the player stretchered off. Ya.....I'm pretty sure the instructions weren't that, but hey whatever sweeping statements pleases you.

Either way, supporters could trade videos of hard/nasty tackles all night.

The thing that still startles me is the whole social media reaction, with a player celebrating a tackle that saw another taken off on a stretcher. That's the ugly for me. I haven't seen that before. Surely a "hands up, that wasn't one of my better moments" would be more appropriate? Because in football, like in all walks, if you celebrate the violent, you'll end up on the receiving end some day and any protest will be met with a "but remember when you liked to see them leave on a stretcher?"...

This was after 3 seconds on a player that had just returned from a serious injury that had him out most of the season.

Cork cry about everything. Always the victims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Cork cry about everything. Always the victims.

Ffs boasting about a terrible challenge is obviously very classless, doesn't take a cork fan to see that.

Corholio wrote: »
    It was a foul, O'Donnell got up straight away. The foul that started this debate was one that had the player stretchered off. Ya.....I'm pretty sure the instructions weren't that, but hey whatever sweeping statements pleases you.

Ah so if Maguire got up straight away you'd be ok with tackle? So it's the result of the action rather than the action itself that has you riled up?

You know exactly what the instructions were. I'm watching football for years and have never seen two yellows in the first five minutes never mind a tackle like that after a couple of seconds.

qwabercd wrote: »
    Ffs boasting about a terrible challenge is obviously very classless, doesn't take a cork fan to see that.

I'm talking about the tackle

I've seen worse from Cork players, much worse. Of course, those are "hefty" challenges not premeditated attempts to injure a player. That is what McClean was accused of.

I won't defend his crass use of social media but that is a side issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Ah but I'm sure Caulfield's instructions were to NOT kick anything that moved in a white jersey...

For balance, in the five matches between the sides in 2016, Dundalk got 18 yellows and two reds to Cork City's 17 yellows. So, Caulfield no more instructs his players to kick everything in a white shirt than Kenny instructs his to kick everything in a green. Nearly a third of Dundalk's cards in the league last season came in the three matches against City. That's very disproportionate, isn't it?

Obviously it's proof that, when Caulfield instructs his players to kick every Dundalk player once, Kenny tells his lads to kick the City players twice. Or maybe...just maybe...all it proves is that a top of the table clash between the two title and cup rivals of the past three years is naturally a bit more fiery than most. I mean, who could've imagined that!

Ah so if Maguire got up straight away you'd be ok with tackle? So it's the result of the action rather than the action itself that has you riled up?

You know exactly what the instructions were. I'm watching football for years and have never seen two yellows in the first five minutes never mind a tackle like that after a couple of seconds.

You're the one who went to the trouble of providing a comparison, I'm simply stating what happened. I don't know the instructions at all, but considering the actual facts of the bookings etc, it certainly wasn't going out to kick anyone as an actual tactic. But I'm sure Caulfield instructed the ref to book Dundalk players too as well right?

Honestly, some things are so petty to argue about with silly statements.

FAI fair play awards (by the sounds of it Waterford will not be in the running for it this year- but I would expect no more off a Fenlon managed team)

It is no coincidence that the top teams are the cleanest every year.

FAI fair play awards;
    2016; Dundalk 1st, Derry 2nd Cork City 3rd

http://www.extratime.ie/articles/17979/dundalk-add-2016-fair-play-award-to-roll-of-honour/

2015; I can't find the winners of this year but did find this nice little bonus for 4 LOI Clubs

https://www.balls.ie/football/financial-fair-play-punishment-league-of-ireland-clubs-318175

2014: Dundalk 1st, City 2nd UCD 3rd

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/0603/705580-ucd/

Some of the Dundalks fans insistence in trying to compare Cork Citys games against them to a brutal tackle last Saturday in which they were not involved says it all about Dundalk really. I'll leave it there with that one because its no use trying to talk to them, bar one or two fellas who'v decided to stay out of this discussion.

Great resource that was posted up last night here if people are interested in old programs and defunct Cork clubs.

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/cultureincork/sport/soccer/historicalmatchprogrammes/

Cork Hibs v Cork Celtic in 1974 had 18 thousand turn up to it when both were 1st and 2nd in the league. Some great stuff in there.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    For balance, in the five matches between the sides in 2016, Dundalk got 18 yellows and two reds to Cork City's 17 yellows. So, Caulfield no more instructs his players to kick everything in a white shirt than Kenny instructs his to kick everything in a green. Nearly a third of Dundalk's cards in the league last season came in the three matches against City. That's very disproportionate, isn't it?

Obviously it's proof that, when Caulfield instructs his players to kick every Dundalk player once, Kenny tells his lads to kick the City players twice. Or maybe...just maybe...all it proves is that a top of the table clash between the two title and cup rivals of the past three years is naturally a bit more fiery than most. I mean, who could've imagined that!

Haha. Brilliant post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Paz-CCFC wrote: »

Must be a wi-fi outage in Co Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The last few pages of this thread is making me reconsider going back to LoI games this year

• Advertisement

The last few pages of this thread is making me reconsider going back to LoI games this year

ya, don't bother. Full of scumbags and people voicing differing opinions.

Warzones.

Great resource that was posted up last night here if people are interested in old programs and defunct Cork clubs.

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/cultureincork/sport/soccer/historicalmatchprogrammes/

Cork Hibs v Cork Celtic in 1974 had 18 thousand turn up to it when both were 1st and 2nd in the league. Some great stuff in there.

I have been to Cork Hibs, Cork Celtic, Alberts and Cork Alberts, Cork United and of course Cork City matches.

I was at the last match in the 'old' Oriel in 1966 (the pitch faced a different way then. Goals were behind where the main stand is now and the pitch sloped towards where the shed is now) Cork Hibs won 6 - 3

Dundalk won the league in 1975/76 and their first home league match in the 1976/77 season was against Alberts - Alberts won 2 - 0 in Oriel.

Always a great rivalry between the clubs in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. (I don't go back further than that) Unfortunately Dundalk lost 10 years or so in the intervening years . It was frustrating to say the least to look on while the great Bohs, Shels and Rovers teams were dominating LOI. So I'm glad we're back and I'm glad the rivalry exists once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

gimmick wrote: »
    ya, don't bother. Full of scumbags and people voicing differing opinions.

Warzones.

Sounds like something a rabble rouser would say!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Sounds like something a rabble rouser would say!!!! :pac:

That sounds like empty vessel talk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

We defeated Bray 4-0 tonight in the Leinster Senior Cup.

Dundalk have taken Steven Kinsella from Everton on loan for the season.

Dundalk have taken Steven Kinsella from Everton on loan for the season.

Probably makes Michael Duffy going there unlikely?

Probably makes Michael Duffy going there unlikely?

All the speculation around Oriel is that the Duffy deal is done.

Fee agreed with Celtic, who recalled Duffy from his loan to Dundee this evening.

All the speculation around Oriel is that the Duffy deal is done.

Fee agreed with Celtic, who recalled Duffy from his loan to Dundee this evening.
    Any word on how much they paid?
    Will make it difficult for Kinsella to get a game. You would think Mceleney and Duffy would be first choice wingers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

What's the story with Tim Clancy? Heard he just walked off the pitch last night??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement