Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

sligolad1 wrote: »
    What's the story with Tim Clancy? Heard he just walked off the pitch last night??

Just reading comments on it there, he played a bad backpass which led to goal and he walked off. The sort of attitude that should see him finished there. Whenever I saw him he always gave out to others, never his fault. Mouthy type, all hype no substance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

That gas re clancy... love to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Mushy wrote: »
    Just reading comments on it there, he played a bad backpass which led to goal and he walked off. The sort of attitude that should see him finished there. Whenever I saw him he always gave out to others, never his fault. Mouthy type, all hype no substance!

yeah there was only one of the new signings in the starting 11 so hello derek foran

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Any word on how much they paid?
    Will make it difficult for Kinsella to get a game. You would think Mceleney and Duffy would be first choice wingers

I heard 10k. It took a while to get Celtic down from the 100k they initially quoted.

With so many new players it is difficult to predict the starting line up.

Midfielders now are:

O'Donnell
    Shields
    McElenney
    Benson
    Duffy
    Kensella
    Mountney
    McGrath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I heard 10k. It took a while to get Celtic down from the 100k they initially quoted.

With so many new players it is difficult to predict the starting line up.

Midfielders now are:

O'Donnell
    Shields
    McElenney
    Benson
    Duffy
    Kensella
    Mountney
    McGrath

You forgot Clifford. And Paddy McCourt has been training with them too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

joeysoap wrote: »
    At the moment ( this could change) my predictions

1 Shamrock Rovers
    2 Derry City
    3 Cork City
    4 Dundalk
    5 Bray Wanderers
    6 Sligo
    7 St Pats
    8 Limerick
    9 Galway
    10Drogheda
    11Bohs
    12 Finn Harps

Think it's time time for that change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Kenny is certainly gonna have a job to keep them all happy. Can see McGrath playing a few games up front too. Played the second half there the other night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The last few pages of this thread is making me reconsider going back to LoI games this year

Go read a Liverpool or Man Utd match thread, especially when one of them loses and see which is worse.

• Advertisement

CHealy wrote: »
    Some of the Dundalks fans insistence in trying to compare Cork Citys games against them to a brutal tackle last Saturday in which they were not involved says it all about Dundalk really. I'll leave it there with that one because its no use trying to talk to them, bar one or two fellas who'v decided to stay out of this discussion.

Great resource that was posted up last night here if people are interested in old programs and defunct Cork clubs.

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/cultureincork/sport/soccer/historicalmatchprogrammes/

Cork Hibs v Cork Celtic in 1974 had 18 thousand turn up to it when both were 1st and 2nd in the league. Some great stuff in there.

thanks CH; Terrific stuff! Some great reading in those programmes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

wadacrack wrote: »

Didn't work out for him in Scotland but if he hits the same form he showed in his last season at Derry he'll be a serious player for Dundalk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

We have a fantastic squad on paper!

I think Kenny has Europe in mind again, Squad now looks like it will be able to be rotated during the Euro Campaign (if we manage to win the 1st round we play)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

We're in a spot of bother based off last night. No idea where the goals are going to come from. We're not looking great defensively either.

I just hope there are 3 teams worse than us.

Oat23 wrote: »
    We're in a spot of bother based off last night. No idea where the goals are going to come from. We're not looking great defensively either.

Who ye play last night?

Doesn't bode well for Cork in 2018.

Who ye play last night?

Longford. We lost 3-2. The goals we gave away were very poor and there hasn't been a peep out of our strikers in pre-season yet. Still holding out hope one of the loanees will come good. The big one (Ayunga) looks well suited to the league, but can he find the net is the question. He doesn't have a history of being the goalscorer we need.

We need another CB and we need to stop playing that ridiculous diamond formation.
    Doesn't bode well for Cork in 2018.

No worries there. Sadlier will be OOC in November so they will sign him.

Sounds like the opening game down in the Markets Field could be interesting. We badly need the three points with Derry and Dundalk both away in week two and three.

We're light at the back also but look good going forward on paper so can't wait for the league to get back and hopefully the team can gel quickly otherwise gonna be a long season.

Sounds like the opening game down in the Markets Field could be interesting. We badly need the three points with Derry and Dundalk both away in week two and three.

We're light at the back also but look good going forward on paper so can't wait for the league to get back and hopefully the team can gel quickly otherwise gonna be a long season.

What is going on with the first game? I am probably going to head down to it, but I have no idea what day/time it is on. Have the club even decided yet? I heard they were thinking of moving it because of the 6 Nations.

What is going on with the first game? I am probably going to head down to it, but I have no idea what day/time it is on. Have the club even decided yet? I heard they were thinking of moving it because of the 6 Nations.

Nothing official but I'd say it's gonna be moved, same as the Cork match on April 1st which clashes with the Munster vs Toulouse game in Thomond Park.

Do they have to announce the change in time and date so far in advance, it's gonna be starting three weeks this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

You`d have to wonder why these things aren't foreseen sooner. The Ireland 6 nations game must be scheduled for the best part of a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I thought ye looked really poor against us last Friday too,ye had next to nothing going forward and we could/should have scored at least another two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

dont read much into pre season results

i seen teams do the complete opposite when the real deal starts

dont read much into pre season results

i seen teams do the complete opposite when the real deal starts

Owen Heary's Rovers a perfect example.

Not feeling optimistic though. I haven't felt good about Rovers since Robertson took over. Hate his diamond and his in-game decision making. We were crying out for a sub at least a dozen times last year under him and he never changed a thing, usually we paid for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Harps video ahead of new season / first home game.

Owen Heary's Rovers a perfect example.

Not feeling optimistic though. I haven't felt good about Rovers since Robertson took over. Hate his diamond and his in-game decision making. We were crying out for a sub at least a dozen times last year under him and he never changed a thing, usually we paid for it.

Ohh the subs sitting there and someone not performing around the hour mark and he takes another 15 mins to make the change. Drives me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Ohh the subs sitting there and someone not performing around the hour mark and he takes another 15 mins to make the change. Drives me mad.

Yea then it's usually the wrong man he takes off,

Last time we were thus pessimistic about a season we won the league👍

Oh I have been more pessimistic than that since :) Usually around July when stupid board decisions have been made under panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Wexford Youths are no more. Wexford FC will compete in the SSE Airtricity 1st Division this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Wexford Youths are no more. Wexford FC will compete in the SSE Airtricity 1st Division this year

they've finally grown up

peteeeed wrote: »
    they've finally grown up

Well, when you've a 38 year old goalkeeper, it was time to do something :D

Anyway, as the saying goes, "The more things change, the more they stay the same"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ah I liked the Youths name. Set them apart from others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So two new clubs for the new season?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So two new clubs for the new season?

There's only one WFC, one WFC.......Oh wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Corholio wrote: »

Me too honestly. Even today, I keep referring to them as the Youths.

Main thing is, we're still playing ball in Ferrycarrig this year. If it wasn't for a lot of hard work by our club committee, that wouldn't have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The font in the new crest is terrible. It seems so childish and unprofessional.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    The font in the new crest is terrible. It seems so childish and unprofessional.

It was designed with our former manager in mind

Main thing is, we're still playing ball in Ferrycarrig this year. If it wasn't for a lot of hard work by our club committee, that wouldn't have happened.

That is everything.

I remember when in 2012 I feared there would be no more Dundalk FC, and it was a horrible feeling.

I'm delighted that the good people in Wexford FC have saved their club.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Corholio wrote:

So does Wexford FC. 🙂

So does Wexford FC. 🙂

Some we all probably could name without pausing

...............Alexander
    ...............Academicals
    ...............Thistle
    ...............Argyle
    ...............Hotspur
    ..............North End
    ............. New Saints ( actually there lots in Wales but to be fair ......)

• Advertisement

Some we all probably could name without pausing

...............Alexander
    ...............Academicals
    ...............Thistle
    ...............Argyle
    ...............Hotspur
    ..............North End
    ............. New Saints ( actually there lots in Wales but to be fair ......)
    I don't get your point here at all. If people in Wexford don't know about their local LOI team I don't see what calling them Wexford Hotspurs will do.

I don't get your point here at all. If people in Wexford don't know about their local LOI team I don't see what calling them Wexford Hotspurs will do.

Ah,you miss the point,

There was only one YOUTHS team that I knew of , I know hundreds of FC's and Towns, City's, Rovers, Uniteds etcetera

So if I talking to somebody as I ask how FC did today they will know who I am asking about? If I asked somebody (anybody) how Youths did today and they would have probably known.
    Same with clubs I named above , everybody would know who you were talking about without mentioning the first name (and yes I know you will think Rovers revers to Sligo but outside the NW, Rovers means .........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

but outside the NW, Rovers means .........
    Blackburn?

There was only one YOUTHS team that I knew of

Although strictly speaking we were ripping off Juventus, it was pretty cool to have a unique identifier like that. And it was not quite as creepy as Young Boys, too.

Although strictly speaking we were ripping off Juventus, it was pretty cool to have a unique identifier like that. And it was not quite as creepy as Young Boys, too.

I thought you were ripping off Torino!

Oh yes, we're definitely doing that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Oh yes, we're definitely doing that too.
    Jaysus, Mick was ripping everyone off!

Is Mick still involved at Wexford or what's the ownership structure now?

To the best of my knowledge he is not the chairman anymore, it's now Seanie O'Shea. There is going to be a press conference on the 12th in the Talbot Hotel (all welcome), should clear up a lot of these unknowns.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

PepperMoney to be on Rovers shirts and around the ground in new deal

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement