Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

400k for two years is absolutely fantastic, fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

400k for two years is absolutely fantastic, fair play.

"Could be worth up to €400,000".

Big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

That's more than Fyffes, who are apparently very happy with their sponsorship.

As a matter of interest would SDCC have their hands out for some of the renaming rights? As tenants could Rovers rename the ground? Cracking sponsorship though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

joeysoap wrote: »
    That's more than Fyffes, who are apparently very happy with their sponsorship.

As a matter of interest would SDCC have their hands out for some of the renaming rights? As tenants could Rovers rename the ground? Cracking sponsorship though.

theres no ground naming rights in the deal just branding around the ground, on hoardings, in the suites, behind the goals, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Would be a lot happier if it wasnt a lending instutution ,like Newcastle and Wonga, but I suppose beggars cant be....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

but pepper money isn't a pay day loan spot with APR's in the 1000's is it? Seems to be a mortgage provider with ok APR's, well not the cheapest however I get the feeling their market share is from other institutions that reject people so riskier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    but pepper money isn't a pay day loan spot with APR's in the 1000's is it? Seems to be a mortgage provider with ok APR's, well not the cheapest however I get the feeling their market share is from other institutions that reject people so riskier.

They but up mortgages that some banks have written off or want rid of. The deal with danske and aib in Ireland but they have recently entered the sub prime mortgage market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

They but up mortgages that some banks have written off or want rid of. The deal with danske and aib in Ireland but they have recently entered the sub prime mortgage market

Bottom feeders would be the term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭prodsc

1st tv game announced and some fixture changes here

http://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/news/7284-news-eir-sports-to-broadcast-opening-game-of-the-2017-season

"eir Sport will once again broadcast exclusive coverage of SSE Airtricity League games this season and their full schedule will be announced over the coming week."

Does this mean no RTE games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

prodsc wrote: »

One of the RTÉ lads was at a friendly in the last few weeks and he mentioned how many games RTÉ are doing this year. I don't remember how many, but similar to last year IIRC.

People were talking what they should be doing with Soccer Republic, but we're lucky to even have that.

There have been attempts to have Soccer Republic on at a more reasonable hour, but we have zero bargaining chips, so I would be surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Why is eir1 standard def but eir2 HD? Is there a HD Eir1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Hopefully Eir Sport show the games on freeview and get the rights to broadcast all the big league games, it's a pity they don't have their own highlights show and leave RTE to showing repeats of the Big Bang Theory or Father Ted.

Edit: they've posted on Facebook they'll be doing a weekly podcast
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1200901299964636&substory_index=0&id=146104712110972

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Said here last year that the league should produce it's own highlight show like most other leagues. No need for any studio stuff. A 30 minute highlight show shown FTA on Eir Mondays and repeated once or twice throughout the week would be better. Also make it available online via Youtube and other social media platforms.

The Belgian league produces it's own 30 minute highlight show and it is shown on Eir as well as many other sports channels around the world. Eir show it 3 times on Mondays..

"Most other leagues"

FA's with money far in excess of what is spent on our leagues and have associations that give a damn about the domestic league.

The lads in the FAI actually doing the LOI promotion work are hard at it, but I can tell you now there is zero chance of them being given the budget for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Oat23 wrote: »
    Said here last year that the league should produce it's own highlight show like most other leagues. No need for any studio stuff. A 30 minute highlight show shown FTA on Eir Mondays and repeated once or twice throughout the week would be better. Also make it available online via Youtube and other social media platforms.

The Belgian league produces it's own 30 minute highlight show and it is shown on Eir as well as many other sports channels around the world. Eir show it 3 times on Mondays..

30 minutes is ideal. 1 hour of meandering highlights to show 5 games is daft. 4-5 minutes of each PD match highlights(halved in weeks with 2 games) and 5-10 minutes of a 1st division round up would be perfect.
    RTE and Eir could use it to fill space, say Sunday mornings/afternoons.

• Advertisement

"Most other leagues"

FA's with money far in excess of what is spent on our leagues and have associations that give a damn about the domestic league.

The lads in the FAI actually doing the LOI promotion work are hard at it, but I can tell you now there is zero chance of them being given the budget for that.

Absolutely this. We were only just saying how the FAI won't even fund a proper laptop and software for their Youtube streaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

"Most other leagues"

Absolutely this. We were only just saying how the FAI won't even fund a proper laptop and software for their Youtube streaming.

Obviously the FAI are never going to fund it. It's well established how little they care about the league and I didn't think it was necessary for me to state the obvious.

We always discuss ways the league could be improved, be it the matchday experience, promotional activities or whatever else. It's all fantasy because we know none of it will be implemented by the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

prodsc wrote: »
    1st tv game announced and some fixture changes here

http://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/news/7284-news-eir-sports-to-broadcast-opening-game-of-the-2017-season

"eir Sport will once again broadcast exclusive coverage of SSE Airtricity League games this season and their full schedule will be announced over the coming week."

Presume this fixture is on Eirsports because that weekend is a six nations weekend and Ryle wants to make sure that the people who watch RTE don't miss out on either the U-20 or the Women's team matches on the Friday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Ruairi Keating has gone to Torquay United (conference) on "non-contract terms"

I don't know what they saw in him but good luck to him.

Torquay are a team that could end up in the Conference South next season so not the best level anyway.

• Advertisement

I don't know what they saw in him but good luck to him.

Torquay are a team that could end up in the Conference South next season so not the best level anyway.

Its a strange one. Their fans are far from ecstatic to have him. Torquay is a very out of the way place right down at the tip of England.
    I can only guess that he found work over there because he wont have a regular wage from Torquay as its a pay as you play deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Maybe the fresh start will do him good. In his first year with us he had a great attitude but having heard a few Sligo stories, Galway opinions and a half season each year since, its gone. Never any rumour of him re-signing with us this year.
    I'm guessing "non contract terms" means he's not being paid so no real risk to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'm sure he's getting something to make it worth its while going over there, probably not your traditional wage but something to make Devon attractive anyway.

I'm sure he's getting something to make it worth its while going over there, probably not your traditional wage but something to make Devon attractive anyway.

CSF wrote: »

Not necessarily. After flopping at Harps and Galway its not like he had any decent options in the LOI.

Not necessarily. After flopping at Harps and Galway its not like he had any decent options in the LOI.
    Id imagine playing for Letterkenny or Mervue is a better option than living in Devon for no guaranteed pay. It isn't somewhere you move for the lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Id imagine playing for Letterkenny or Mervue is a better option than living in Devon for no guaranteed pay. It isn't somewhere you move for the lifestyle.

Devon isn't that bad. Plymouth and Exeter are in reasonable distance of Torquay and they're nice places to live.

Devon isn't that bad. Plymouth and Exeter are in reasonable distance of Torquay and they're nice places to live.
    Know a lad who lived there for work and a few lads who went over visited. Granted I'm only going off second-hand reports but the ruling was unanimous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Know a lad who lived there for work and a few lads who went over visited. Granted I'm only going off second-hand reports but the ruling was unanimous.
    I've been there a few times and found nothing but nice towns. It's not the most exciting of places, but certainly not a kip.

I've been there a few times and found nothing but nice towns. It's not the most exciting of places, but certainly not a kip.

Well yeah, dull was what I was talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Horgan scores for Preston

All twenty clubs were confirmed to receive their LOI licences today. Quite relieved for ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We beat Limerick 2-1 tonight in Terryland. Well deserved, should have scored another two only for Cunningham's poor finishing, also hit the bar in the first half. Cawley, Murray, Grace and Holohan all had good nights for us i thought.

Ogbene looked good in the first half for Limerick, rinsed our right back three times including for his well taken goal. Limerick look a team who will score and will definitely concede a fair bit, two cb's tonight for them were solid but look very slow and turn-able.

We beat Limerick 2-1 tonight in Terryland. Well deserved, should have scored another two only for Cunningham's poor finishing, also hit the bar in the first half. Cawley, Murray, Grace and Holohan all had good nights for us i thought.

Ogbene looked good in the first half for Limerick, rinsed our right back three times including for his well taken goal. Limerick look a team who will score and will definitely concede a fair bit, two cb's tonight for them were solid but look very slow and turn-able.

Badly need another centre back and left back, the changes in the second half and going three at the back had the defence all over the place.

Hopefully Ogbene can carry this form into the season, himself and Tosi seem to be developing quite the partnership for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Made a little promo video for City's season ahead. To get it working on phones/tablets, you have to request desktop site.

All twenty clubs were confirmed to receive their LOI licences today. Quite relieved for ourselves.

Its not worth much seeing as Waterford and Athlone both had the begging cap out a few weeks after getting their licences last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Who's this Ogbene fella that scored for Limerick? Haven't seen his name mentioned in this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Bray and Sligo to enter into the IRN-BRU Scottish Challenge Cup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Patww79 wrote: »
    Fa Trophy equivalent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

wadacrack wrote: »
    Bray and Sligo to enter into the IRN-BRU Scottish Challenge Cup

Were they the unlucky two who drew the shortest straw among the clubs. Would be nice for one of them to win it but what's the financial gain for them competing in this cup and then you gotta factor in the cost of away games.

They're probably the next 2 in the league who didn't qualify for Europe

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Could turn in to a sort of celtic setanta cup?

Good idea in theory, but probably in theory only.

• Advertisement

any decent reddies in that comp? Would they be away by default?

any decent reddies in that comp? Would they be away by default?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/irn-bru-cup-how-much-8196025

This link gives a breakdown of what the competition is about, 17,750 pounds for the winner and teams drawn away to another country are given a 4,000 pound travel allowance.

Hope rovers take IRN-BRU and not the water, and had them out during a game if at home. That link doesn't mention ROI clubs.

Hope rovers take IRN-BRU and not the water, and had them out during a game if at home. That link doesn't mention ROI clubs.

Id assume that link is for this season's 16/17 challenge cup which started back in August and the ROI clubs will be taking part in the 17/18 challenge cup.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Id assume that link is for this season's 16/17 challenge cup which started back in August and the ROI clubs will be taking part in the 17/18 challenge cup.

Will Bray exist then?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement