Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Sounds like a massive waste of our time.

At least it will make the league slightly more interesting. The goal is now to finish 1st - 4th or 7th - 9th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Entering a Mickey Mouse Tournament that even the Scottish don't take serious is a complete waste of time and resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4pgDXpWIAAxKkB.jpg

New Wexford jersey, along with the other First Division kits. For me, the big silver lining of the winding up order is a blacker, less gaudy kit design. Not universally popular but this is definitely my favourite Wexford kit so far.

The sponsor is local charity, which will be used for the first game or until a main corporate sponsor is found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4pgDXpWIAAxKkB.jpg

New Wexford jersey, along with the other First Division kits. For me, the big silver lining of the winding up order is a blacker, less gaudy kit design. Not universally popular but this is definitely my favourite Wexford kit so far.

The sponsor is local charity, which will be used for the first game or until a main corporate sponsor is found.

Fair play to Wexford for going the intelligent route when they don't have a sponsor and putting a charity on the shirt, unlike Waterford who didn't bother their hole last year. I see they still have no sponsor. Amateur hour not to have something on the shirt for the league launch.
    Makes Waterford look like a 5 a side team that got a few jerseys off Alliexpress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    What about Cobh? (I thought it was Drogheda first). Is it because Waterford have money that we don't like them now?

Cobh. Drogheda are in the Premier. I was watching out for Waterford because they spent the entirety of last season without a sponsor, culminating, pretty embarrassingly, with Daryl Murphy doing a league publicity shot of former LOI players playing for Ireland at the Euros wearing a Waterford jersey without a sponsor.
    If Cobh do the same I`ll be sure to lambast them too, don't worry about that. I'm an equal opportunity critic of clubs who run themselves shabbily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Fair play to Wexford for going the intelligent route when they don't have a sponsor and putting a charity on the shirt, unlike Waterford who didn't bother their hole last year. I see they still have no sponsor. Amateur hour not to have something on the shirt for the league launch.
    Makes Waterford look like a 5 a side team that got a few jerseys off Alliexpress.

Wut, wut, wut?? Compliments for Wexford? We should have folded our previous club years ago :)

Cheers for that. Obviously all the uncertainty has made it difficult for a main sponsor to come on board, so why not help out a local organisation? Personally, I think the many colours in their logo doesn't suit the shirt, but if it helps them out, it's fine by me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Likewise, I don't think the CSG logo looks good at all on a football jersey, but considering the circumstances I think it's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

According to local media Waterford will be announcing a shirt sponsor this weekend. Won't stop you having a pop though, despite Cobh also not having one in that picture :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Loads of clubs are/have been suffering because of the financial woes of their backers. Some posters are having payback on abuse they received for when they were down and are now on the up

Personally, I think it is disappointing that I haven't seen one, not one, Waterford supporter put up a post along the lines of "when we had the arse out of our trousers, the LOI family helped get us to where we are today, cheers lads"

Can't say I'll have sympathy when it goes pear shaped next time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Dundalk almost went bust in 2012 and I wouldn't wish that on any club. We are a very small band who support our local League of Ireland clubs. A lot of people would be quite happy if we went away altogether.

I can remember the great Waterford team from the 60's when Waterford won 6 out of 8 league titles. I remember Dundalk squeezing in a league championship win in 1982 between two Athlone championships in 1981 and 1983 (Dundalk actually winning the final match of the season at St Mels Park)

On paper anyway it appears a few clubs are betting the shop on success this year and it's simply not possible for every club to hit the jackpot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

yep , welcome to the LOI , full of bitter b'stards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I think the issue with Waterford, certainly with me anyway, is they had the begging bucket out last year and other clubs naively did the same for them thinking it was to help them make ends meet. Once the window opened again they used the money on new signings.

I don't hope they go bust, I just hope this latest venture blows up in their face and they stay where they are.

Re Bray, it will blow up in their face, but they wont get relegated or go bust. Somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Who was the dutch lad that played for Dundalk at Longford last night? How did he look?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Who was the dutch lad that played for Dundalk at Longford last night? How did he look?
    Elson Hoi. Looked bit off the pace,Better in 2nd half

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Garrigai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Garrigai wrote: »

"Signing for Rovers is something I’ve wanted a lot since I got the chance to try out with the team in the past three weeks"

At least he's honest

• Advertisement

Dundalk starting a weekly E-Zine

http://www.dundalkfc.com/weekly-e-zine-sign/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Derry have signed Mikhail Kennedy from Charlton (on loan til end of summer).

https://www.derrynow.com/soccer/breaking-sport-derry-city-fc-sign-charlton-forward-mikhail-kennedy-loan/145511

wadacrack wrote: »

Sounds like a journeyman

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/transfer-news/coventry-city-take-dutch-winger-10699902

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

wadacrack wrote: »

Actually seen Stephen Kenny collecting this lad from the airport yesterday morning. Was wondering who he was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

howiya wrote: »
    "Signing for Rovers is something I’ve wanted a lot since I got the chance to try out with the team in the past three weeks"

At least he's honest

In fairness he is English. Doubt he ever thought he'd end up in Ireland

gimmick wrote: »
    I think the issue with Waterford, certainly with me anyway, is they had the begging bucket out last year and other clubs naively did the same for them thinking it was to help them make ends meet. Once the window opened again they used the money on new signings.

I don't hope they go bust, I just hope this latest venture blows up in their face and they stay where they are.

Re Bray, it will blow up in their face, but they wont get relegated or go bust. Somehow.

I think you`re being very optimistic as regards Bray. Its in their 5 year plan to move out of the Carlisle grounds and out of the town of Bray either into the Wicklow country side or South Dublin. They`ve even included a helpful piece on their plans to make it financially appealing to Wicklow council.
    It`s curtains for them if any of that materialises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

CSF wrote: »
    They're probably the next 2 in the league who didn't qualify for Europe

Ah that's probably it alright. I was wondering why Bray and Sligo in particular were the ones who went in.

Are the games in this competition shown on Sky or BT??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I thought Galway and Dundalk fans might be interested in this

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/pompey-first-team-coach-ian-foster-leaves-for-a-new-role-at-the-fa-3577880.aspx#9tC67SjpxXuAdPvP.99

Apparently the FA headhunted Foster and it is quite a significant move for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

monkey9 wrote: »
    Ah that's probably it alright. I was wondering why Bray and Sligo in particular were the ones who went in.

Are the games in this competition shown on Sky or BT??

Don't think challenge cup games are shown on Sky or BT, not 100% sure on that but I'm sure Eir might pick up one of the Irish home games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I thought Galway and Dundalk fans might be interested in this

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/pompey-first-team-coach-ian-foster-leaves-for-a-new-role-at-the-fa-3577880.aspx#9tC67SjpxXuAdPvP.99

Apparently the FA headhunted Foster and it is quite a significant move for him.

Had often wondered where he was now and never bothered to check, thanks.

I think you`re being very optimistic as regards Bray. Its in their 5 year plan to move out of the Carlisle grounds and out of the town of Bray either into the Wicklow country side or South Dublin. They`ve even included a helpful piece on their plans to make it financially appealing to Wicklow council.
    It`s curtains for them if any of that materialises.

we're not going anywhere as per the last meeting between the council and the club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

peteeeed wrote: »
    Everyone seems to be foaming at the mouth hoping Waterford and Bray go out of business.

yep , welcome to the LOI , full of bitter b'stards

Full of realists.

We've seen it all before....

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Full of realists.

We've seen it all before....

bitter realists :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Don't think challenge cup games are shown on Sky or BT, not 100% sure on that but I'm sure Eir might pick up one of the Irish home games.

I think BBC Alba show the Challenge Cup games. Doubt if eir would be that interested in showing Stenhousehmuir or whoever v Bray or Sligo to be honest.

Looks like Hibs will win the Championship and there's a good chance Dundee United will go up via the play-offs, which would leave none of the relatively big Scottish teams in the 2017 competition - unless Rangers get relegated this year :D

While I've always liked the idea of a Celtic Nations Cup in theory, I'd say there's probably very little real interest in or benefit to the clubs and fans involved.

While I've always liked the idea of a Celtic Nations Cup in theory, I'd say there's probably very little real interest in or benefit to the clubs and fans involved.

Id agree. I`d have been fully behind a proper cup with say top 4-6 qualifying from SPL, LOI, NIFL, WPL and then maybe a few decent sides from English league football in it too.
    This is nothing like that though.
    I also don't believe for a second that the SPFL came over here looking for 2 of our mid-table clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

New Rovers kit.

We had a black & yellow kit about 10/12 years ago as well. I like this one.

https://twitter.com/sligorovers/status/832323662275608576

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

The fela on the right looks pissed off and uninterested... he could at least put his arms behind his back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think it could happen too but, unlike the general sentiment, I just hope it doesn't.[/quote]
    Like with plenty of teams before them, they're taking an unfair competitive advantage knowing they'll be bailed out in some way/walk away from bad debt if it all goes pear shaped.

I can't see any reason to not hope they got their comeuppance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Apparently Kenny Browne is as good as gone from City after throwing a fit yesterday in training and being sent home. Wont be in match squad for tonights game. Big blow for City if its true.

Its up to Waterford now to come up with a fee for him.

Its a blow no doubt. Aside from McGuire he was POTY in 2016, but we do not need an unhappy senior player. Much less a fat unhappy senior player.

Waterford have the money, now they can sign the cheque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Apparently the way Browne has handled the whole situation is awful, changing his mind about 5 times since December. I mean if he wants to move home thats fair enough, but he's the one that signed a two year contract. Cork City will accommodate but will need to be compensated. Browne wants part time football but Cork City not willing to do that for him as per contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

CSF wrote: »
    Like with plenty of teams before them, they're taking an unfair competitive advantage knowing they'll be bailed out in some way/walk away from bad debt if it all goes pear shaped.

I can't see any reason to not hope they got their comeuppance.

Didn't realise Waterford and Bray were allowed field 12 players this year :D

C43OcTfXAAAatGh.jpg:large

CHealy wrote: »
    Apparently Kenny Browne is as good as gone from City after throwing a fit yesterday in training and being sent home. Wont be in match squad for tonights game. Big blow for City if its true.

Where's this coming from?

Was said at the FORAS AGM last night and has been rumbling for months.

gimmick wrote: »
    Was said at the FORAS AGM last night and has been rumbling for months.

I've heard the rumblings. I ment the been thrown out of training as I know a few CIT lads that were watching them training yesterday and didn't mention this.. also he's tweeted that he hasn't refused to play

Dundalk have signed Thomas Stewart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

seems the rumours are true and Paddy McCourt is going to line up for Harps tomorrow against Cabinteely after training with us this week. Still a lot of work to be done to get him signed though
    edit: thought it was a joke but Barry Molloy may play another year too (democrat for both)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

joeysoap wrote: »
    Dundalk have signed Thomas Stewart.

A lot of options in the squad now. Will be interesting to see how we line up

• Advertisement

Absolutely lashing in Cork all day. No signs of it clearing either. Gonna make for fairly poor conditions in the presidents cup later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement