Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

djpbarry wrote: »
    Wonder what Richie Towell makes of it...
    Quick look says he's played one game for Brighton since joining them.

He could take it as encouragement to go on loan in League One and know that if he does well there, he could put himself in the frame for future squads.

Being at a club a level above Forrester doesn't automatically mean he should be ahead of them when it comes to the Ireland squad. There's probably dozens of young lads at Premier League clubs but they can't assume they're in the frame just because of that, they have to prove it on the pitch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Quick look says he's played one game for Brighton since joining them.

He could take it as encouragement to go on loan in League One and know that if he does well there, he could put himself in the frame for future squads.

Being at a club a level above Forrester doesn't automatically mean he should be ahead of them when it comes to the Ireland squad. There's probably dozens of young lads at Premier League clubs but they can't assume they're in the frame just because of that, they have to prove it on the pitch.

Yup, and I'm almost certain that that was a cup match. I'm actually wondering if he's injured, because he hasn't appeared on their sub bench in ages either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Wonder what Richie Towell makes of it...

Think Towell maybe thinking "probably should have stayed in Ireland a couple of extra months". Was always gonna be hard for him to break into a Brighton team who were pushing for promotion mid way through a season while he was still technically in pre season. Staying in Dundalk until the summer and then moving like Forrester would have been the best thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

anyone see this? Keep politics out of football :pac:.http://www.joe.ie/sport/pic-bohemians/534645

Seriously though fair play to bohs it's a big positive and a good way to make LGBT fans feel more welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

anyone see this? Keep politics out of football :pac:.http://www.joe.ie/sport/pic-bohemians/534645

Seriously though fair play to bohs it's a big positive and a good way to make LGBT fans feel more welcome

It's embarrassing. Who cares about people's sexuality? :confused: "Hetrosexual Bohs" flag next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I was very happy to see that. I'll be happy to see homophobia chased out of football, but it's a long way to go yet.

Feel free to make a Heterosexual Bohs flag if you want, nobody's stopping you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Zebra3 wrote: »
    It's embarrassing. Who cares about people's sexuality? :confused: "Hetrosexual Bohs" flag next?

Wearing pink for a good few years now, Wexford Youths get a fair amount of homophobic abuse. I remember Limerick fans even had a flag to that effect once. So clearly, a lot of LOI fans care about sexuality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Think there's a lot more embarrassing things in football then a club sporting a LBGT flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

It has nothing to do with making homosexuals more welcome at Dalymount. It has everything to do with repairing Bohs "right on" credentials following their contentious player signing last season.

Actions speak louder than words when it comes to a club's social responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Bohs are desperately trying to become the St Pauli of the League of Ireland. They'll have a flag for some other marginalised group next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Was this not just a few gay Bohs fans who made a flag? If so, then it's hardly their fault the club signed somebody who did such a horrible thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Think Towell maybe thinking "probably should have stayed in Ireland a couple of extra months". Was always gonna be hard for him to break into a Brighton team who were pushing for promotion mid way through a season while he was still technically in pre season. Staying in Dundalk until the summer and then moving like Forrester would have been the best thing.

I heard he's going on loan to Preston. (Another team he'll find it hard to get into at the moment) Hoban to Grimsby. I was in Oriel last Friday and while the team did what they had to it wasn't as fluid as last year. Early doors yet though.

In the program Stephen Kenny wrote about the different pre match arrangements between friendlies and competitive matches. And when they drew Shels in the Leinster cup whether to keep it pre season or go competitive, and deciding that it was still pre season they didn't book the Regency for their pre match meal. That was the night the shootings took place in the Regency.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

CSF wrote: »
    Was this not just a few gay Bohs fans who made a flag? If so, then it's hardly their fault the club signed somebody who did such a horrible thing.

That's correct afaik, it's one lad who made the flag himself, not some calculated ploy by the club to chase the "pink pound". Although saying that, Youths fans are more than welcome to spend a few bob in the bars on Friday :p

simonw wrote: »
    That's correct afaik, it's one lad who made the flag himself, not some calculated ploy by the club to chase the "pink pound". Although saying that, Youths fans are more than welcome to spend a few bob in the bars on Friday :p

Fair play to the lad, if that is the case.

It should also serve as a reminder to the rugger loving media that homophobia is not a problem in the LOI.

No one would proclaim their sexual preference in such an obvious way if it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

CSF wrote: »
    Probably not a lot, but I don't think he's in much of a position to complain. Forrester has come in a league lower like a duck to water, whereas Towell hasn't made his impact yet at Brighton. That's the next step for him before international call ups of any kind.
    Lads, I wasn’t suggesting that Towell should be in line for a call-up.

I was alluding to the fact that, when he signed for Brighton, he had a stated aim of securing a place in the Ireland squad. I said at the time that he was getting way ahead of himself and personally, I think he’s looking a bit foolish now, especially with Forrester getting a look in.

But don’t get me wrong - I wish him all the best and hopefully he’ll eventually make an impact at Brighton.

• Advertisement

I was alluding to the fact that, when he signed for Brighton, he had a stated aim of securing a place in the Ireland squad. I said at the time that he was getting way ahead of himself and personally, I think he’s looking a bit foolish now, especially with Forrester getting a look in.

Stephen Kenny has the Dundalk lads thinking they are world beaters. Their confidence is sky high. It results in great performances but also can result in players "getting ahead of themselves", as you put it.

Towell has come down to earth with a bang.

Think there's a lot more embarrassing things in football then a club sporting a LBGT flag.

Doesn't make the flag any less embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Thinking about starting a Sligo Rovers Gay Supporters Club. I'll call it the 'Bit O Pink'.

"We're here, we're queers, we quite like Gavin Peers"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

will Dundalk vs Cork be streamed online anywhere?

Anybody know how Bolger didn't get 3 match ban for a straight red? This set a precedent for the rest of season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

joeysoap wrote: »
    Anybody know how Bolger didn't get 3 match ban for a straight red? This set a precedent for the rest of season?

We had a straight red against Shams (Sadlier) and he is available for Saturday's game against Harps.

I thought it was always 2 games for a straight red and 1 for 2 yellows.

We also had Craig Roddan sent off for 2 yellows against Shams. He was banned for two games as well.

The FAI make no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

The FAI make no sense.!!

I thought ( and so did everybody on MNS) that it was 3 matches for a straight red, but yes the FAI make it up as they go along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I have a go at the FAI as much as anybody on here, but they can't be criticised for this. It's been the case for years that a red card is an automatic one game ban for the next match, with the potential of additional bans pending the decision of the disciplinary committee. It's there in black and white in the participation agreement - Rule 23.2 (it's from 2010, but this particular rule seems to have remained unchanged since). The FAI knows it and clubs know it. I never remember it being a three game ban. The only reason anyone ever thinks that is because they pay too much attention to England and presume it's the same here. Which wouldn't make any sense at all, because why would you apply such long minimum bans from a 38/46 game league to a 28/33 game season? The reason why the Soccer Republic pundits thought that it was a 3 game automatic ban was because they didn't bother to do the five minutes of research to give them the answer, instead lazily assuming that the disciplinary rules are the same in every league.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    I have a go at the FAI as much as anybody on here, but they can't be criticised for this. It's been the case for years that a red card is an automatic one game ban for the next match, with the potential of additional bans pending the decision of the disciplinary committee. It's there in black and white in the participation agreement - Rule 23.2 (it's from 2010, but this particular rule seems to have remained unchanged since). The FAI knows it and clubs know it. I never remember it being a three game ban. The only reason anyone ever thinks that is because they pay too much attention to England and presume it's the same here. Which wouldn't make any sense at all, because why would you apply such long minimum bans from a 38/46 game league to a 28/33 game season? The reason why the Soccer Republic pundits thought that it was a 3 game automatic ban was because they didn't bother to do the five minutes of research to give them the answer, instead lazily assuming that the disciplinary rules are the same in every league.

My issue is with 2 yellows being considered as bad as a straight red. I thought we would have Roddan back after 1 game and Sadlier after 2, but they were both punished with the same ban? Sadlier's challenge was high and a potential leg breaker. Roddan got sent off for two silly fouls. I don't understand how they can get the same ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Two great bits of news coming out of Oriel Park today. Stephen Kenny has signed a new two year contract which will keep him at the home of football until the end of the 2018 season. Also we have got a brand spanking new electronic scoreboard which will make its debut during this evenings swashbuckling victory over Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Oat23 wrote: »
    My issue is with 2 yellows being considered as bad as a straight red. I thought we would have Roddan back after 1 game and Sadlier after 2, but they were both punished with the same ban? Sadlier's challenge was high and a potential leg breaker. Roddan got sent off for two silly fouls. I don't understand how they can get the same ban.

In fairness every red card is run through the discipline committee who can choose to extend it or not. More often than not a straight red results in additional bans. I don't think its the worst system in principal. Having it at just one game allows cover for where the ref messed up... where the problem occurs is when the FAI get involved

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Pighead wrote: »
    Two great bits of news coming out of Oriel Park today. Stephen Kenny has signed a new two year contract which will keep him at the home of football until the end of the 2018 season. Also we have got a brand spanking new electronic scoreboard which will make its debut during this evenings swashbuckling victory over Cork.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    :pac:
    Time to get rid of that crappy scoreboard. It's cursed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

That's a cracking new scoreboard that Dundalk have.

wZ2aI.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    That's a cracking new scoreboard that Dundalk have.

wZ2aI.jpg

That's a thing of pure beauty!!

The eyesight test that the Guardai have to pass must be easy. 1 Peno each last night but the Guard on duty only saw on one :confused:

(Shamrock) Rovers up for sale?

(Shamrock) Rovers up for sale?

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/sport/7012450/London-based-consortium-is-aiming-to-take-over-Shamrock-Rovers.html

Sounds like they could become West Ham II. They can have Jaanai Gordon if they want. It'll be sad if the fans give up control to them for a few titles and European runs. Things are going alright as it is. They don't have any financial issues that I'm aware of.

I might sound like a bit of a hypocrite as members at HSV voted to give up control in 2014 and I supported that, but we were not capable of running a football club anywhere but into the ground. The people at Shamrock Rovers are doing alright themselves.

Oat23 wrote: »
    http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/sport/7012450/London-based-consortium-is-aiming-to-take-over-Shamrock-Rovers.html

Sounds like they could become West Ham II. They can have Jaanai Gordon if they want. It'll be sad if the fans give up control to them for a few titles and European runs. Things are going alright as it is. They don't have any financial issues that I'm aware of.

I might sound like a bit of a hypocrite as members at HSV voted to give up control in 2014 and I supported that, but we were not capable of running a football club anywhere but into the ground. The people at Shamrock Rovers are doing alright themselves.

From what I hear Rovers are run like the FAI. One man has surrounded himself with yes men and gotten rid of any potential challengers to his power.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

From what I hear Rovers are run like the FAI. One man has surrounded himself with yes men and gotten rid of any potential challengers to his power.

'Surrounded himself' - do you mean those who were elected/re-elected by 200 others every two years?

dfx- wrote: »
    'Surrounded himself' - do you mean those who were elected/re-elected by 200 others every two years?

Yes.

Ok, you need to change where you hear about Rovers in that case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

What a fantastic idea, consortium pumping money into LOI clubs has always worked out so well I imagine it will bring nothing but long term success and happiness.

Regards,
    Cork City Football Club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I think clubs building up academies is the only way to go. The current system is brain dead with a merry go round of mercenaries which leads to most players having played for every club in the league.
    My understanding so far is they are "borrowing" a million and half from this fella and putting it into building an Academy complex, coaching schoolboys 5 times a week and generally offering a serious alternative to the bright lights of Stevenage Academy or some of the other dumps our best young prospects have ended up.
    Now if that strategy changes to pumping huge money into the senior team, well that's a whole other story and will only end one way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I think clubs building up academies is the only way to go. The current system is brain dead with a merry go round of mercenaries which leads to most players having played for every club in the league.
    My understanding so far is they are "borrowing" a million and half from this fella and putting it into building an Academy complex, coaching schoolboys 5 times a week and generally offering a serious alternative to the bright lights of Stevenage Academy or some of the other dumps our best young prospects have ended up.
    Now if that strategy changes to pumping huge money into the senior team, well that's a whole other story and will only end one way.

Agree 100%. Problem is the schoolboys leagues have far too much power in this country. LOI sides should be signing players from 8 years old if not younger and giving them proper coaching with qualified coaches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

doncarlos wrote: »
    Agree 100%. Problem is the schoolboys leagues have far too much power in this country. LOI sides should be signing players from 8 years old if not younger and giving them proper coaching with qualified coaches

I agree with you there. The whole schoolboy league system in the country is a major factor in Ireland falling away in more recent times in terms of producing top players as we simply have not kept up with what other countries are doing in terms of developing their top young talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

doncarlos wrote: »

Thankfully that power is shifting with the U17,19 and the imminent U15 grade.
    LOI is supposed to be the highest grade of football in the country but it has never acted like that.
    I agree LOI clubs need to be getting players into the club much younger then they are right now. Not just for player development but for all the other benefits it brings like fostering fans and making families integral parts of clubs.
    We are light years behind the Scandinavian countries and Belgium in terms of youth development structures.
    The whole junior structure needs a serious restructuring as there's far too many clubs and far too many leagues in the country (32 leagues in 26 counties).

Thankfully that power is shifting with the U17,19 and the imminent U15 grade.
    LOI is supposed to be the highest grade of football in the country but it has never acted like that.
    I agree LOI clubs need to be getting players into the club much younger then they are right now. Not just for player development but for all the other benefits it brings like fostering fans and making families integral parts of clubs.
    We are light years behind the Scandinavian countries and Belgium in terms of youth development structures.
    The whole junior structure needs a serious restructuring as there's far too many clubs and far too many leagues in the country (32 leagues in 26 counties).

Well said. I agree that the new U17 and U19 leagues are a step in the right direction. The U15 league cannot come quickly enough as well IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

Big problem is clubs looking for a pay day from players when they're 19/20 or even younger.

Its crazy that 16 year olds are going over to England to clubs. Hopefully the U 17 etc leagues will cut this out.

Kerry played at th eweekens in the U17 league. Granted they were beaten 6-0 by Cork but its a steeping stone and will at league keep them around for a few more years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Collinstown FC currently 2 nil up against Rovers.

'this fella'....is Ray Wilson.

Given the information is mostly out there elsewhere: Rovers are using €1.5m from Ray Wilson in the form of an interest-free loan in instalments over 10 years to develop the Roadstone complex rent-free, one site for the u-8s through to the first team. A lot of stuff is already there, but it needs a bit extra to get fully going. All weather pitches, clubhouse, gym, dressing rooms etc etc.

The West Ham/consortium thing is pie in the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

It's not an under 15 league that's needed at all it's an under 21 or B or reserve team league that's needed too continue too develop players after they out grow the 19s

MrMac84 wrote: »
    It's not an under 15 league that's needed at all it's an under 21 or B or reserve team league that's needed too continue too develop players after they out grow the 19s

How about both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

MrMac84 wrote: »

The ''A'' league as it was called should be brought back. Gave teams like Tralee. Carlow etc a good opportunity to play at the next level

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement