Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Nobody predicting first club to have the begging bowl out.

Disappointed.

Dunno what your talking about; sure with the 5 grand from the FAI we'll all be laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

D14Rugby wrote: »
    500 is the max I'm pretty sure. I heard because fans were complaining about the state of the away ends, lack of toilets etc, they reduced the allocation to 500. That's just what I've heard though so don't know how true it is

There are all sorts of rumours that it is Dundalk being petty.

The truth is that the Gardaí insisted on only giving Rovers a 500 ticket allocation. You have to bear in mind the recent behaviour of Rovers fans in the town, attacking a funeral etc.

I's not fair on decent Rovers fans, of course. But they can always sneak in to the home end, just don't try asking about the Leinster rugby result etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Rather than clog this thread with predictions, I opened a predicitons thread here:
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057708497/1/#post102680946

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Ah yeah, those feckin Rovers fans never stop banging on about the rubby, mad for it they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Rather than clog this thread with predictions, I opened a predicitons thread here:
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057708497/1/#post102680946

Speaking of predictions, is there a predictions league this year?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

dan1895 wrote: »
    Speaking of predictions, is there a predictions league this year?

Marwelie hasn't posted in a while. I'd do one, unless someone else wants to do it?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Paddy McCourt signs for Finn Harps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

RTE strike again. Over 200 players in the league and they choose Ismail Akinade as the pic for their league preview

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1065238786915202&id=502992449806508

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

RTE strike again. Over 200 players in the league and they choose Ismail Akinade as the pic for their league preview

Ah look he's hiding his face like he did coming out of court that time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

joeysoap wrote: »

Why is there a stripe of a darker green across the pitch near half-way? It looks odd, like they ran out of the light green and just shoved another bit into ti.

Why is there a stripe of a darker green across the pitch near half-way? It looks odd, like they ran out of the light green and just shoved another bit into ti.

Never mind that, where's the fcuking roof for the away fans? Absolutely scandalous that the home of the league champions doesn't have a roof to cover that small section but can fork out on a fresh bouncy castle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Omackeral wrote: »
    Never mind that, where's the fcuking roof for the away fans? Absolutely scandalous that the home of the league champions doesn't have a roof to cover that small section but can fork out on a fresh bouncy castle.

Plenty of space in the YDC if it's a roof your after. You wouldn't be a sunshine supporter by any chance?

Sunshine supporter? Unless you're being cute with the weather element (element, see I can do puns too) I've been to Oriel every season since Dundalk have come up and am a season ticket holder for my own club. The away section is a disgrace. There's 2 portaloos for the away fans, it's absolutely horrible. As far as sitting somewhere else, I don't know about you, but I don't enjoy mixing in with the home fans when I myself am an away fan. It dilutes the experience IMO.

The club got a financial windfall from their Euro exploits, a simple roof isn't a massive ask, especially if they can lay a brand new artificial pitch down.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Sunshine supporter? Unless you're being cute with the weather element (element, see I can do puns too) I've been to Oriel every season since Dundalk have come up and am a season ticket holder for my own club. The away section is a disgrace. There's 2 portaloos for the away fans, it's absolutely horrible. As far as sitting somewhere else, I don't know about you, but I don't enjoy mixing in with the home fans when I myself am an away fan. It dilutes the experience IMO.

The club got a financial windfall from their Euro exploits, a simple roof isn't a massive ask, especially if they can lay a brand new artificial pitch down.
    I expect the club are looking at broader plans for the ground than a roof for one section and I'd hope/expect those plans are going to be more joined up than to just stick a roof on one area of the ground in a piecemeal fashion.

• Advertisement

I expect the club are looking at broader plans for the ground than a roof for one section and I'd hope/expect those plans are going to be more joined up than to just stick a roof on one area of the ground in a piecemeal fashion.

Maybe I'm going against the grain so but I would have thought a bit of shelter for visiting people wouldn't be too much to ask from the top team in the country. Not asking for heated bucket seats (or even seats, mind you!)

Maybe I'm going against the grain so but I would have thought a bit of shelter for visiting people wouldn't be too much to ask from the top team in the country. Not asking for heated bucket seats (or even seats, mind you!)

I agree but there's none in place at this stage so it's unlikely that they'd stick one on when the ground as a whole is something they're likely to be looking to develop on the back of the European run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

To be honest your right the ground is a bit of a kip at the moment. The main stand for home supporters is a pain as if your towards the sides you struggle to see anything happening in that box.

But better to have another day or 2 in the rain and then a properly upgraded ground than a quick fix. I am hopeful we see real improvements once it has all been planned out

There are 100 places reserved in the stand for away fans. It is usually mostly empty.

Every Dundalk fan would agree that Oriel Park is among the worst grounds in the league for away fans. The club are committed to improving this.

By the way Dundalk have not seen one cent from their Europa League campaign. The club has incurred plenty of costs though and has had to borrow money to pay those and to replace the pitch.

No one is more aware of the state of Oriel than the owners of the club. The away end is the worst part of the ground. Portaloos and a chip van are as good as it gets. No shelter from the elements and partially obstructed views complete the picture. Unlike some clubs (Shams, Bohs, Derry) there is no council picking up the tab for modernising the ground and building new stands. Quite the reverse. For the past 4 years the 'new' owners have been in dispute with the previous owner over the lease of the ground, and this was only resolved late last year. (With the local council collecting upwards of €400,000 in arrears of rates by all accounts)

The pitch was awful and had to be replaced. As posted above there's no point in wasting money on repairs when the whole ground needs upgrading. As White Horse posts the club have received none of the money from Europe yet, only the money collected by Ticketmaster, and even then the FAI took a huge chunk out of the Aviva gate.

I don't know what the green lines are either, assume it will be all the same by Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

It's an absolute kip at the moment, but realistically speaking a total re-development is absolutely miles down the road. I'd completely agree that a simple roof is not too much to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Putting a roof on that away end would be like putting a flower on a lump of sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

It's an absolute kip at the moment, but realistically speaking a total re-development is absolutely miles down the road. I'd completely agree that a simple roof is not too much to ask.

How much do you reckon a "simple roof" would cost, all in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Sorry, I'm not a quantity surveyor. Is a galvanised roof really beyond your means?

Sorry, I'm not a quantity surveyor. Is a galvanised roof really beyond your means?

Under modern planning laws, erecting a "simple roof" constitutes a building and that building has to meet a series of health and safety criteria.

Dundalk don't want to throw away money putting in temporary structures that will prove to be expensive.

They are looking at redeveloping the entire ground that will benefit patrons, home and way, for decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Athlone were meant to be incredibly poor against Bohs in their last pre-season friendly. Only 22 spectators there allegedly. I would expect them to finish last by quite a margin.

Crowd went up a bit after kick off as game started 15 minutes earlier than originally advertised. Someone said there was about 100 there but looked less than that to me

PhilipsR wrote:
    Putting a roof on that away end would be like putting a flower on a lump of sh1t.

Bit harsh on Shamrock Rovers away support there.

Patww79 wrote: »

There was a lot of expenses in that European jaunt. Tallaght cost €20,000 x 3. The Aviva was north of €100,000 (plus new dugouts at Tallaght, the electronic hoarding at the Aviva had to be replaced as the one in situ didn't conform with the size required for champions league matches) Oriel 'buyout' from previous owner with those rates of arrears to clear. New pitch cost €300,000. And the players got €1,000,000 bonus payments. Won't be that much left when all is said and done, but hey the spin was worth it all. And the club do now have Oriel. I would expect development plans soon, and wouldn't be surprised if they included demolishing the main stand. It's over 50 years old, has served the club well over those years but showing signs of age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

its like putting Adam Johnson on a childline advert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Oriel Park is **** for us away fans. We get it. They now have means and opportunity to work towards fixing that. It won't happen overnight. Let's not moan about it constantly until it happens.

The scummy jacks is horrendous also, two manky portaloos. Wouldn't in a million years bring a lady or a child with me. Make a joke all you want on that, it's fcuking vile.

The scummy jacks is horrendous also, two manky portaloos. Wouldn't in a million years bring a lady or a child with me. Make a joke all you want on that, it's fcuking vile.

The toilets are dreadful.

I go to a lot of away games and too many of them are disgusting.

I could list at least six grounds that fail to provide adequate toilet facilities. It is a basic requirement.

its like putting Adam Johnson on a childline advert

It's not. It's like putting Adam Johnson on a Premier League advert. Let's get it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Pretty sure I've read before that prize money only gets paid out at the end of the season but can't find a source

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

2 days before kick off and the leagues official site still isn't available.

www.sseairtricityleague.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah, cos its nice to get a soaking at a match, get on to a bus and sit for a few hours on a trip home wet to the skin.

The least fans can expect is a little shelter from the elements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ok. We have now passed the acceptable limit of talking about a certain topic as set by the Ogbene to Limerick precedent :pac:

gimmick wrote: »
    Ok. We have now passed the acceptable limit of talking about a certain topic as set by the Ogbene to Limerick precedent :pac:

Did Cork lose Ogbene?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

joeysoap wrote: »
    There was a lot of expenses in that European jaunt. Tallaght cost €20,000 x 3. The Aviva was north of €100,000 (plus new dugouts at Tallaght, the electronic hoarding at the Aviva had to be replaced as the one in situ didn't conform with the size required for champions league matches) Oriel 'buyout' from previous owner with those rates of arrears to clear. New pitch cost €300,000. And the players got €1,000,000 bonus payments. Won't be that much left when all is said and done, but hey the spin was worth it all. And the club do now have Oriel. I would expect development plans soon, and wouldn't be surprised if they included demolishing the main stand. It's over 50 years old, has served the club well over those years but showing signs of age.

This is true, Im aware of the breakdown of the Europa League money City got this year and you'd be suprised how little of the 600k we will actually see. Its why Cork City do not account for European money in yearly budget. Obviously Dundalks situation is different but its not like ye are getting 6 million in a briefcase like some people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Did Cork lose Ogbene?

It kind of went under the radar at the time, but yes, bright Cork City star has left the club to sign for Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Did Cork get Christian Nanetti yet? Not heard anything.

I presume its only matter of time. Not sure he going to get much game time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭prodsc

Did Cork get Christian Nanetti yet? Not heard anything.

I presume its only matter of time. Not sure he going to get much game time

According to The Examiner yes

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/john-caulfield-drafts-in-new-duo-for-cork-city-ahead-of-transfer-deadline-443513.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Problems with media press passes as well. Lot of people still waiting for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Pighead wrote: »
    Problems with media press passes as well. Lot of people still waiting for them.

Sometimes it's not hard to see why the barstoolers and the GAA-heads and the rugger-buggers look down on us :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Rovers got an extra allocation that sold out instantly, 570 rovers fans will now be at the game (in the away end anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Rovers got an extra allocation that sold out instantly, 570 rovers fans will now be at the game (in the away end anyway).

If a few car loads of Cork City fans can travel 4 hours up the road on a Tuesday morning to buy home end tickets for the 2014 league decider, then surely Rovers fans can manage the hour up the road? "Negotiate" your way into the away end then.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement