Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Oat23 wrote: »

You can sing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Oat23 wrote: »
    Looks like we're relegation fodder after half a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

I know we (rovers) lost but there was enough in that performance for me to be positive about the season. A good mix of fight and skill I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Athlone Town take a 1-0 lead. So much for preparation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Athlone Town take a 1-0 lead. So much for preparation.

Saw that with 15 to go at 0-0, was going to throw a fiver on Athlone at 20/1 as it seemed even enough on stats, didn't though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Saw that with 15 to go at 0-0, was going to throw a fiver on Athlone at 20/1 as it seemed even enough on stats, didn't though :rolleyes:

I used to manage Rodrigo Tosi in football manager a few years ago. When Limerick signed him I said I'd throw €20 on him to be top scorer. Forgot.

Scored a hattrick tonight. Won't get those 35/1 odds again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Patww79 wrote: »
    Will Shelbourne hit 3 figures for attendance tonight?

Why wouldn't we? Great atmosphere tonight especially at half time in the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

Great 3 points for Cork tonight....Come on the City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Great win for bray , bossed the game from the start , should have won by more , ref went a bit mental near the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

A Brazilian scores a hat trick for Limerick in the League of Ireland against Sligo.....nearly 5000 in Oriel for hi octane game where injury hit champions Dundalk prevail over Rovers....huge crowd in Dalymount where despite Keith Long seriously narrowing the pitch Derry run out easy winners 4-1...first relegation six pointer goes to the Drogs against Gaillimh...Pats get two men sent off and continue to flatter to deceive losing to Bray....Seanie scores for Cork on a wild night in Donegal against Harps .. yes folks the greatest League in the World is back!!!
    The Big Dublin Derby between Rovers and Bohs in Tallaght and the big week 1 winners Derry and Limerick just a couple of the exciting games to look forward to next week.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We should have been out of sight after 20 minutes but just didnt take our chances. Drogs were very defensive first half and we were poor second half, a lesson in chance taking, they had one and won the game. Onwards, and at least a little upwards please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Crazy evening in Lissywollen ... mains tripped so lights went out during warmup, switched to generator and something went bang and with a cloud of smoke the lights went out. Then lights went out in the press box and by some miracle all came back online again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Good win for Cork. Just cant wait till next week. Great to have games on doorstep again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Question for Cork fans. How long would it take to get from Fota Island to Turner's Cross on a Friday evening? How easy is it to get parking at Turner's Cross? I'm in Cork next week and am debating to go to the Galway United game.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Question for Cork fans. How long would it take to get from Fota Island to Turner's Cross on a Friday evening? How easy is it to get parking at Turner's Cross? I'm in Cork next week and am debating to go to the Galway United game.[/quote

Not very easy. There are a few parks nearby the stadium but you'd have to get in early around 6-6.30 as most locals will block off parking spaces

Thanks Davester.

I finish in Fota Island around 4pm. Would I be better off to start making my way over and park up and go find food? How easy is it to get out?

Thanks Davester.

I finish in Fota Island around 4pm. Would I be better of to start making my way over and park up and go find food? How easy is it to get out?

If there's a match in Musgrave park at times it can get crowded /busy - getting in can be a pain as there's a lot of traffic from workers going home and all that jazz - I find getting out is ok and quicker

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Thanks Davester.

I finish in Fota Island around 4pm. Would I be better off to start making my way over and park up and go find food? How easy is it to get out?

Have a meal in fota or The Elm Tree and drive over then . If you are there by 6.30 ish you will find parking by woodies and a 2 min walk. Or really splash the cash and go to McDonald's a hundred yards from woodies. You will be on the road quickly after the match, as long as you are going back the way you came.

• Advertisement

Have a meal in fota or The Elm Tree and drive over then . If you are there by 6.30 ish you will find parking by woodies and a 2 min walk. Or really splash the cash and go to McDonald's a hundred yards from woodies. You will be on the road quickly after the match, as long as you are going back the way you came.

Thank you!
    I'll be heading back to Galway if I do go so my plan is to follow the supporters bus out of the city. I know my way after that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Thank you!
    I'll be heading back to Galway if I do go so my plan is to follow the supporters bus out of the city. I know my way after that!

Are you sure there is one M......? :eek:

Sure you can follow the team bus or get a Garmin!

Seven Worlds will Collide

Are you sure there is one M......? :eek:

Sure you can follow the team bus or get a Garmin!

I'm sure I'll find Ronan C and Dom W somewhere in the grounds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

PS - We are doomed *

You that's an expert MB - what formation were they trying to play last night?

*may or may not be true but I like saying it!

Seven Worlds will Collide

No Munster match next week in Cork so should not be too bad. Getting out of Cork at night is fine though. I try get there for 6.30 give yourself time. I expect 4,000 at it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm generally come in from the Dublin road and get through the Dunkettle roundabout quickly enough. I don't even bother trying to park close to the stadium, I usually park near Musgrave park, which is only a ten minute walk anyway. I'm going to Kinsale afterwards though so I'm already pointing in the right direction but I've never had much hassle getting out.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

PS - We are doomed *

You that's an expert MB - what formation were they trying to play last night?

*may or may not be true but I like saying it!

4-4-2 with one forward dropping deep. Didn't think Cunningham offered anything at all playing on the right. There was very little combination work between the full backs and wingers and I didn't think much of the number 8 dropping to get the ball. They threatened to play out from the keeper but weren't committed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

It's 15 mins from fota to the cross...if you come in around 4/4:30 you'll find parking no problem! Could take a walk to McDonald's for grub or if you'd prefer a meal and it's a nice day maybe the Hawtorn for food or there's a full Chinese upstairs there and you'll have views of the lough which on a sunny evening is nice to sit outside and watch the world go by. You could walk from Turners cross out to the Lough in 10/12 mins (after you park the car) have some food and a drink and walk down again in plenty of time for kick off.

http://www.discoveringcork.ie/hawthorn-bar/

Thank you all very much!

• Advertisement

Thank you all very much!

You have to go now :pac:

You have to go now :pac:

:D

I'm doing my UEFA B in Fota Island so I may just be completely sick of football by Friday evening that I'll just head home. Weather will also come in to play. No fun driving home on a dark, wet night. Especially if I've failed! :)

:D

I'm doing my UEFA B in Fota Island so I may just be completely sick of football by Friday evening that I'll just head home. Weather will also come in to play. No fun driving home on a dark, wet night. Especially if I've failed! :)

Christ best of luck with the UEFA B. Facilities in Cobh are top class. Didn't think you were assessed on the day with the B licence. You'd be mad not to take in some of the match. Turners Cross with 4000+ people in it is something special and Friday should see huge numbers at it.

On a Friday night you'd get from the cross to Galway in 2 hours no problem. There'll be no traffic

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Christ best of luck with the UEFA B. Facilities in Cobh are top class. Didn't think you were assessed on the day with the B licence. You'd be mad not to take in some of the match. Turners Cross with 4000+ people in it is something special and Friday should see huge numbers at it.

On a Friday night you'd get from the cross to Galway in 2 hours no problem. There'll be no traffic

Thank you! I'm not sure if we find out on the day but they've done away with final assessments in the old sense of "35 minutes of your best or you fail." I think you know yourself whether you've done enough or not by body language and communication.

I was in Terryland last night and I'm not joking when I say that it only dawned on my today that it was a possibility to go. Of course if there are any Boardsie home fans willing to meet for a soft drink, I'll be happy to introduce myself. As I said though, it'll depend on a few factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

MrMac84 wrote: »

15 mins from FOTA and 2hrs back to Galway?

I must be a very slow driver :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Father Ted creator has a pop at barstoolers.
    Sunday Times
    It's behind a pay wall, something like 2 free articles a week
    Each place possesses its own charm, though, and even now, as he prepares for his 47th season as a League of Ireland fan, there’s still that boyish excitement within Mathews as he visualises the approach to grounds through narrow, old streets, guided by the floodlights in the sky and the smell of fried onions on the pan. Haute cuisine hasn’t made it to too many League of Ireland grounds thus far.
    Then again, nor have the majority of Ireland’s population. There are those, like Mathews, who don’t need the product sold back to them but for so many others, League of Ireland football is considered the sporting equivalent of a ghetto, inhabited by supporters whose sensitive reaction to any real, or imagined, criticism is practically cultish in its fanaticism.
    in between winning Baftas and writing scripts for Harry Enfield and Simon Pegg, he’s returned to the same spot inside United Park to watch the team he has supported since 1970.
    My favourite part of the article
    The usual answer is because the standard of Irish football is poor, no matter how much we’d like to pretend otherwise. Say this to Mathews, though, and he shoots you the kind of look that Father Jack gave to Ted when he discovered his bottle of whiskey contained …. ‘feckin’ water’.
    “I’m a Drogheda fan so supposedly, I’m meant to hate Dundalk,” Mathews said. “But it’s not like that in the League of Ireland. Instead, whenever I meet someone wearing a St Pat’s, Shamrock Rovers or Limerick jersey, it’s like coming across a fellow survivor from a Japanese prisoner of war camp. You know what I mean? Watching our teams over the years is like those who built the bridge across the River Kwai – the ultimate test of our spirit and endurance.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    15 mins from FOTA and 2hrs back to Galway?

I must be a very slow driver :)

Yes you must be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The league website is 'live' according to the FAI twitter account, but nothing seems to be working on it.

It's working, but whether it's any good or not ......

If you click on statistics section in the premier league it shows Cork as 3 yellows and no red, pats 2 yellows and 2 reds, Bohs as 1 yellow,

And better still if you click on the pats v bray match they don't know who the officials were.

Poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Usually the first thing you see when it shows stats is top goal scorers & then assists.

But no the LOI website has yellow/red cards probably so they can easily keep track of fines to make money.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Usually the first thing you see when it shows stats is top goal scorers & then assists.

But no the LOI website has yellow/red cards probably so they can easily keep track of fines to make money.

But their not right. Bohs got no cards, and City had 4 yellows and a red. Even if they are not going down the usual road with stats, they at least have to be accurate with what they put on the site. How many yellows did pats get 4 or 5? Since I posted this morning pats have been 'upgraded' from 2 to 5 yellows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The only reason they`ve changed their tune is because Wicklow Co Co hauled them in because of all the crap they put in their strategic plan.
    I don't trust that O`Connor fella an inch.

They are E1.3M in debt (as of 2015s accounts, who knows what it is now) but yet they have upped the playing budget?
    I wouldn't be sleeping well if I was a Bray fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Bray not planning to leave after all.

RKeuREw.gif

The only reason they`ve changed their tune is because Wicklow Co Co hauled them in because of all the crap they put in their strategic plan.
    I don't trust that O`Connor fella an inch.

They are E1.3M in debt (as of 2015s accounts, who knows what it is now) but yet they have upped the playing budget?
    I wouldn't be sleeping well if I was a Bray fan.

gerry mulvey now owns 80 % of the club so bray are in a much better financial situation but people around here don't like to see that

former arsenal player justin hoyte traning with bray

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

At least Bray want to stay in Bray. The club would die a death of it moved anywhere else.
    I like that little green stand in the ground, having that all the way round the pitch would make a nice little stadium.

At least Bray want to stay in Bray. The club would die a death of it moved anywhere else.
    I like that little green stand in the ground, having that all the way round the pitch would make a nice little stadium.

agreed . when the opposite side (mostly away fans side ) needs a roof and there's not much else needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

peteeeed wrote: »

agreed . when the opposite side (mostly away fans side ) needs a roof and there's not much else needed

The toilets need doing up (unless it's been done). Tbh I think a small terrace at the bowling alley end would be cool too.

If Bray want to be ambitious better luck to them.

I get pleasure out of clubs doing poorly on the field, but in all honesty if Bray did suffer in near furure what good does that do to the league?

Even other day I gave little dig at Shels and lack of fans, but if they suddenly were getting 2000+, better luck to them too.

General consensus on SR last night is that a 10 team league wouldn't solve anything, been tried twice before and too many repetitive matches in a 36 match league. Anyone know from 2018 what the promotion/relegation situation is?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

joeysoap wrote: »
    General consensus on SR last night is that a 10 team league wouldn't solve anything, been tried twice before and too many repetitive matches in a 36 match league. Anyone know from 2018 what the promotion/relegation situation is?

Knowing the FAI: three up, one down.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement