Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

I didn't see any pen call for Sligo throughout the game.

Gartland tackle on Cretaro in one of Sligos rare forays into the Dundalk penalty area. Looked a good tackle and I was standing 25 yards away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

From the rte report

Rovers' frustration with Connolly continued moments later when it looked like Cretaro was tripped by Gartland inside the Dundalk box, the referee waving play on much to the annoyance of the home support

From the 42 report

The Bit o’Red were adamant they should have had a penalty minutes later when Raff Cretaro appeared to be taken down by Brian Gartland in the box, but referee Ben Connolly was not convinced.

I got it from these reports, wasn't at the match so happy to stand corrected.

joeysoap wrote: »
    From the rte report

Rovers' frustration with Connolly continued moments later when it looked like Cretaro was tripped by Gartland inside the Dundalk box, the referee waving play on much to the annoyance of the home support

From the 42 report

The Bit o’Red were adamant they should have had a penalty minutes later when Raff Cretaro appeared to be taken down by Brian Gartland in the box, but referee Ben Connolly was not convinced.

I got it from these reports, wasn't at the match so happy to stand corrected.

I could be wrong, but I was a lot closer to it that than those in the press box. The TV camera were on my side of the ground so we will know on Monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Ah it's good to have the league back up and running.
    I'm still buzzing after Friday's game in Tallaght.

I honestly do not know how football "fans" can choose to stay indoors to watch a game on TV instead of getting out and experiencing the real thing. Doesn't matter if you're standing in a crowd of 200 or sitting in a 60,000 stadium, the feeling is the same and it's all the little details that make it... From the walk to the ground with the floodlights lit up with the hazy rain reflected in the light to the smell of the grass floating into the stands. Can't beat it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

After not handing back ticket stubs in Maginn Park, the club have announced free admission to the rearranged Derry v Limerick match on Tuesday 21st March. I'm guessing they're banking on not many fans making the journey on a Tuesday afternoon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I'd be very worried if I was a Galway fan. They were possibly the better side in the first half, and were unlucky to go in 1-0 down. They were fine again until City scored the second goal. Galway's heads just dropped immediately and they seemed to lose all fight and spirit.

The same seemed to happen in the second half of their game at home to Drogs last week too - a very good first half which could have seen them two or three up, followed by a very poor second half.

In fairness, City were very good in the second half, but the way Galway just collapsed certainly helped us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I'd be very worried if I was a Galway fan. They were possibly the better side in the first half, and were unlucky to go in 1-0 down. They were fine again until City scored the second goal. Galway's heads just dropped immediately and they seemed to lose all fight and spirit.

The same seemed to happen in the second half of their game at home to Drogs last week too - a very good first half which could have seen them two or three up, followed by a very poor second half.

In fairness, City were very good in the second half, but the way Galway just collapsed certainly helped us.

I think they collapsed after the first goal. They were probably the better team the first 20 minutes but after the goal City coasted to a big victory. Keohane and McCormack are great signings from what Iv seen so far, we look alot stronger this year. Great to see Ellis get his goal aswell after a great setup from Campion, big hopes for that guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

CHealy wrote: »
    we look alot stronger this year.

Its very early to say, but going by the first 2 games we do look stronger all round, especially around Midfield. Just look lot more like a team, but still too early to really judge, need see 3 or 4 more games yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

CHealy wrote: »
    I think they collapsed after the first goal. They were probably the better team the first 20 minutes but after the goal City coasted to a big victory. Keohane and McCormack are great signings from what Iv seen so far, we look alot stronger this year. Great to see Ellis get his goal aswell after a great setup from Campion, big hopes for that guy.

Yeh i can see you getting within 5 points of us this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Alright dundalkfc10 kiiiiid, havnt heard from you in a while, you still trying to force that non existent rivalry even though for the last three years 99% of all City fans would freely admit Dundalk were the better team???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

True, I'd gladly take winning the league by 5 pts with ye in second place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Its very early to say, but going by the first 2 games we do look stronger all round, especially around Midfield. Just look lot more like a team, but still too early to really judge, need see 3 or 4 more games yet.

I think Dundalk have a far better squad but weaker first eleven. Cork won't have a better chance to win the league than this year.
    If Dundalk don't win this year, we'll be even stronger next year after the new guys get up to a decent fitness level and we add another couple of bodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

doncarlos wrote: »
    I think Dundalk have a far better squad but weaker first eleven. Cork won't have a better chance to win the league than this year.
    If Dundalk don't win this year, we'll be even stronger next year after the new guys get up to a decent fitness level and we add another couple of bodies.

Dundalk could do with a decent goalkeeper. Very surprised they didn't move for someone like Shane Supple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Nothing official yet, but the 42 have a story saying former Limerick defender Paudie O'Connor has signed for Leeds United

Anyone know much about him? Only 19 so one for the future I assume

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Nothing official yet, but the 42 have a story saying former Limerick defender Paudie O'Connor has signed for Leeds United

Anyone know much about him? Only 19 so one for the future I assume

Good defender. Not quite championship standard yet but maybe in 2/3 years. Will earn Limerick a fair bit of compensation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Winning 2 games in Europe last season really got to yer head.

Yer best team in Country last 3 years, but yer not some sort of super power

It's early days yet. Both teams have a fair few new players.

At the moment, it looks like both teams have made good signings.

I can see Cork and Dundalk competing for the title all the way to the last game. I'm not sure about Shamrock Rovers. I think it will take them another season to get to the level of the top two.

............Cork won't have a better chance to win the league than this year.

City do appear stronger this year so who knows?
    Rovers aren't there yet but will be thereabouts throughout the season. Serious money spent by Rovers to make the breakthrough, but they do have the support and sponsorship to back it up. Hopefully a cracking season in store for all of us. Drogs and Bray have made great starts.

6 of Dundalk's new signings played at some stage last Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Good defender. Not quite championship standard yet but maybe in 2/3 years. Will earn Limerick a fair bit of compensation

He'll be back in LOI in a few years strikes me of another Stephan folan has notions of his ability but even in the first division last year looked proper ropey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Dundalk could do with a decent goalkeeper. Very surprised they didn't move for someone like Shane Supple.

Would Dundalk let him play GAA? According to an interview on the42.ie it was one of the reasons he re-signed for Bohs.

http://www.the42.ie/shane-supple-bohemians-ipswich-dublin-3098525-Nov2016/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

We did apparently. He only wants part time football apparently.

Would have liked us to try and get Doherty from Derry. Fantastic player. Him along with Christy Fagan would have had us in an excellent position. I think Pats breaking the bank to keep Fagan has backfired. His wages spread among a few young hungry lads would have been a better option although very hard to fault them going all out to keep one of the top two strikers in the league at the club.

Would have liked us to try and get Doherty from Derry. Fantastic player. Him along with Christy Fagan would have had us in an excellent position. I think Pats breaking the bank to keep Fagan has backfired. His wages spread among a few young hungry lads would have been a better option although very hard to fault them going all out to keep one of the top two strikers in the league at the club.

I don't think Fagan wants to put in the work he would need to at Dundalk.

I watched him saunter around United Park on Friday and part time football appears to be what he now likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Serious money spent by Rovers to make the breakthrough,

Just because you keep saying this doesn't mean its true...

Serious money was spent on the Roadstone development, the squad budget is the exact same as last year. Don't forget we released a huge amount of players towards the end of last season & had the majority of the u19's in the squad.

Alot of the squad this year is made up of those u19 lads again BTW. Its not like the playing budget was doubled, far from it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

He day dreams too much. I wouldn't take him.

DvB wrote: »
    Just because you keep saying this doesn't mean its true...

€2,000 a week x 156 weeks is serious money even for a player as gifted as Ronan Finn. As I posted, Rovers have the sponsorship and fan base to support this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

€2,000 a week x 156 weeks is serious money even for a player as gifted as Ronan Finn. As I posted, Rovers have the sponsorship and fan base to support this.

and you know Finn's wages how?

D14Rugby wrote: »
    and you know Finn's wages how?

His payslip fell out of his pocket when he was sitting on the bench at Oriel.

Chinese whispers or ........?

New car ?

Wife got a job at Rovers?

3 year contract with time off pursue his career after football?

And if the rest is to believed €2,000 a week.

Dundalk did not want Ronan Finn to go, Darren Meenan ok, Michael O!Connor ok, but not Finn.

Certainly everybody in Dundalk believes he's on something of that order.

Maybe someone at Rovers can give us a more accurate account?

:) And now for something completely different

Boyle starting tonight

Towell and Horgan on the bench

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

:) And now for something completely different

Boyle starting tonight

Towell and Horgan on the bench

Horgan came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Horgan came on. Towell isn't in the squad. These alternative facts need to stop

He is according to livescore

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Horgan came on. Towell isn't in the squad. These alternative facts need to stop
    In fairness:

https://twitter.com/OfficialBHAFC/status/839186380978794497

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Nothing to see here... be hard for Towell to be on the bench when I check the Preston bench not the Brighton one.

And Towell came on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Feckin' yesterdays men ....grumble.....grumble...

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

How does Richie Towells future look? I thought he would get more of a look in by now. He has been unlucky with injuries and also unlucky that Brighton have been performing so well and has found it difficult to break into the team. Does he stay with them for another year? Move to a lower team in England? Could a move back to the league of Ireland be on the cards?

Regarding the Rovers wage bill, it would be hard to believe that it is the same as last year. They've made a lot of big signings. Maybe we don't realise how much some of their squad was on last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

He'd be better off staying in England, a loan to a team like Preston could do wonders for him. They are ninth in the league and don't think they'll make the play offs while Brighton are more than likely going to be playing in the Premier League next year. Preston could be more his level and have a few Irish lads playing with them including two former team mates.

How does Richie Towells future look? I thought he would get more of a look in by now. He has been unlucky with injuries and also unlucky that Brighton have been performing so well and has found it difficult to break into the team. Does he stay with them for another year? Move to a lower team in England? Could a move back to the league of Ireland be on the cards?

Regarding the Rovers wage bill, it would be hard to believe that it is the same as last year. They've made a lot of big signings. Maybe we don't realise how much some of their squad was on last season.

I think he`ll have to leave if they get promoted. In that scenario Hughton will have bags of money to spend and be looking to move on some of the current first teamers, never mind bit part squad players like Towell.
    He`s definitely Championship quality so any mid table side there where he could establish himself would be a good move.

Chicken and egg question

Which was arranged first

The 6 nations match where Ireland take on Wales

Or

Friday nights round of matches

Just curious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Chicken and egg question

Which was arranged first

Or

Just curious

Six Nations fixtures have been known since 2015, the exact time and date of this match would have been well known before the loi fixtures came out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Chicken and egg question

Which was arranged first

Or

Just curious

yeah as a bray fan going to bohs on friday night , why is it not on saturday ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

You cannot postpone/rearrange games because of some friendly in some other sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Boyhood team

yep along with wolves , coventry , inter milan, leeds , spurs , liverpool , celtic ,west ham, Aston villa & la galaxy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

Why would it be hard to believe? Who do you do you think is on big wages. Just compare some the squad from last year to this year and they look relatively similar to me.

Players that were in the 1st team squad from last season that are not this season
    Murphy, Hyland, Cornwall, G Brennan, K Brennan, Cregg, McCabe, Blanchard, North, O'Connor, Drennan, McPhail, Clarke, McCaffrey, D Kavanagh, C Kavanagh, Osam, Purdy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

peteeeed wrote: »

Probably just while he's visiting mammy.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

srfc d16 wrote: »
    Why would it be hard to believe? Who do you do you think is on big wages. Just compare some the squad from last year to this year and they look relatively similar to me.

Players that were in the 1st team squad from last season that are not this season
    Murphy, Hyland, Cornwall, G Brennan, K Brennan, Cregg, McCabe, Blanchard, North, O'Connor, Drennan, McPhail, Clarke, McCaffrey, D Kavanagh, C Kavanagh, Osam, Purdy

Would have thought Finn, Lopes, Burke, Corry, McAllister, Chencinski, Connolly, Meenan O'Connor would all be on decent wages. Basing this on nothing other than all of them surely having other offers on the table.

A lot of those you listed would have probably been on decent wages last season in fairness. Forgot how much dead weight was actually in Rovers squad from last season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

gimmick wrote: »
    You cannot postpone/rearrange games because of some friendly in some other sport.

Friendly? It's the egg chasers European Championships!!!!!!! :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement