Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

CHealy wrote: »
    Alright dundalkfc10 kiiiiid, havnt heard from you in a while, you still trying to force that non existent rivalry even though for the last three years 99% of all City fans would freely admit Dundalk were the better team???

And you still bite every time he posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

A Disaster and a Godsend, won't be many travelling down there now including myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Friendly? It's the egg chasers European Championships!!!!!!! :pac:

AKA The sick notions championships Rogby's greatest tug fest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

fullstop wrote: »
    And you still bite every time he posts.

Na I know all about dundalkfc10, he's not holding any fishing rod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

sidcon wrote: »

He must have only signed a few hours ago and he`s already resigned, what happened?

He must have only signed a few hours ago and he`s already resigned, what happened?

He left in preseason as he wanted more money, nobody signed him so we offered him the terms he wouldn't take at the the start of preseason and he signed up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

sidcon wrote: »
    He left in preseason as he wanted more money, nobody signed him so we offered him the terms he wouldn't take at the the start of preseason and he signed up

Wooooooooosh

• Advertisement

Wooooooooosh

Ah I didn't read my own mistake my bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Drogs v Cork on Eir Sports 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

spoken like a true LOI fan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Patww79 wrote:

Then go to that game.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Rovers v Derry in Tallaght?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

I'm shocked that the LOI is going up against the rugby tonight. It's gonna knock at least a thousand off the overall attendance tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

You're a footstooler! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

PhilipsR wrote: »
    I'm shocked that the LOI is going up against the rugby tonight. It's gonna knock at least a thousand off the overall attendance tonight.

Nonsense will be over 3,000 in Oriel tonight, which is what would be expected with or without rugby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Nonsense will be over 3,000 in Oriel tonight, which is what would be expected with or without rugby
    Bold claim! Did we get over 3000 for any of the games outside the traditional big matches last season. Generally was between 2 and 2500 for majority of the games. Limerick also a pretty big rugby city. Can't see too many of them coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

The league doesn't all hinge around Oriel. It's not long ago there would be nothing like 3k in Oriel regardless of the Ireland rugby team. That's just to do with ye're recent success.
    Other grounds will undoubtedly suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I would say Sligo Rovers would be lucky to have 1200 there tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

There will be some effect. I would be in Oriel tonight if it wasn't for the rugby.

You could say maybe I am not a real fan but the reality is I go to most games but I am also a big rugby fan and this stage of the competitions the Irish rugby match is more important so I am choosing to watch that.

There will be other people doing the same thing both in Dundalk and around the country

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

red sean wrote: »
    The league doesn't all hinge around Oriel. It's not long ago there would be nothing like 3k in Oriel regardless of the Ireland rugby team. That's just to do with ye're recent success.

No, it doesn't all hinge around Oriel. Cork and Limerick (especially Limerick) are big rugby cities. Galway is heading that way. Delaney has said the LOI is a problem child, but bad parenting is the problem here. And matches onMonday. Who the fcuk is going to travel to an away match on Monday, and then another match at the weekend? Dundalk v Pats changed to Saturday 18th, which begs the question why it was scheduled for Friday in the first place. If there wasn't a round of matches on Monday I'd say a lot of clubs would have rescheduled tonight's matches. And THEY are proposing 3 extra matches next year. The gate in Oriel will suffer tonight, as will all gates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

joeysoap wrote: »
    No, it doesn't all hinge around Oriel. Cork and Limerick (especially Limerick) are big rugby cities. Galway is heading that way. Delaney has said the LOI is a problem child, but bad parenting is the problem here. And matches onMonday. Who the fcuk is going to travel to an away match on Monday, and then another match at the weekend? Dundalk v Pats changed to Saturday 18th, which begs the question why it was scheduled for Friday in the first place. If there wasn't a round of matches on Monday I'd say a lot of clubs would have rescheduled tonight's matches. And THEY are proposing 3 extra matches next year. The gate in Oriel will suffer tonight, as will all gates.

No way is Cork a big rugby city, naturally in the posh parts it is but its way way behind hurling and football. Gaelic is down the end of the list aswell.

There will be some effect. I would be in Oriel tonight if it wasn't for the rugby.

You could say maybe I am not a real fan but the reality is I go to most games but I am also a big rugby fan and this stage of the competitions the Irish rugby match is more important so I am choosing to watch that.

There will be other people doing the same thing both in Dundalk and around the country

This is exactly what is wrong with people in this country, Event Junkies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I think that is unfair, i can understand people who support both rugby and football. For example tonight, i'll be watching the Ireland Wales game on the box instead of the drogheda Pats game. But if Ireland were playing Italy or a friendly game, then i'd watch the league game on the box, as competitive games are more worthy than friendlies.

I won't be at a game tonight because i can't make it Dundalk and still be in a fit state to work a full day tomorrow(from Limerick and don't drive)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

What would affect attendances more? Clashing with an international rugby match, played away from home, or moving the kick off from its usual date and time, interfering with the normal routine, to a date clashing with English matches on tv? I think it'd be the latter.

Sometimes there are just going to be clashes. Whether it be big local GAA matches, rugby matches, Cricket World Cup, big concerts in the area etc. It's just the nature of modern entertainment that people have so much to choose from. We can't chop and change fixtures for every big event that happens. We'd be doing it every week and it'd make us look like minnows. There should be few, exceptional circumstances that makes a club change from its normal kick off time. Generally, where it's forced, by things like clashes with senior Ireland football matches. Or, say for Dublin clubs, if there's a big event in Lansdowne or Croker at the same time and the Gardaí force a change. There might be other circumstances where clubs might consider changes, but these should be rare and they should think carefully about it, as problems will also arise re the time/date they switch to.

In my opinion, a match in another sport, in another country is not a reason for the fixtures to be altered in an entire national league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

16 team league.
    30 games a season.
    15 home matches... Plenty of scope there for clubs to arrange around clashes with other sports and promote the $hit out of each game!

I really don't know why the clubs are not forcing this issue with the FAI.
    They have some much to compete with with other sports and foreign football, that they need less league games, so that they have more maneuverability.

Galway and Rovers on a Monday is joke! Galway would of looked at that fixture as a bit of a money maker, but will lose out on what it could be down to poor scheduling. It's really not fair on the club and the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

That is fair enough. There is no law that people can only support one sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

you are. The bit in bold tells me everything I need to know. I'd take someone going to three or four games a season to be more of a fan than someone who watches a team exclusively on telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

16 team league.
    30 games a season.
    15 home matches... Plenty of scope there for clubs to arrange around clashes with other sports and promote the $hit out of each game!

I really don't know why the clubs are not forcing this issue with the FAI.
    They have some much to compete with with other sports and foreign football, that they need less league games, so that they have more maneuverability.

Galway and Rovers on a Monday is joke! Galway would of looked at that fixture as a bit of a money maker, but will lose out on what it could be down to poor scheduling. It's really not fair on the club and the fans.

Whose gonna play in the first division then? To qualify for UEFA competitions a league needs promotion and relegation between two divisions.

Omackeral wrote: »
    you are. The bit in bold tells me everything I need to know. I'd take someone going to three or four games a season to be more of a fan than someone who watches a team exclusively on telly.

Exactly. And if it we were on the season run in with something at stake or it was just a test match then my decision may be different.

I was just pointing out that it would have some impact. There would be others who if the games were tomorrow would not go because they would want to see united liverpool or whoever play on the TV.

The fact of the matter is that there is always going to be competing interests. I was talking to a few lads recently who only started going to matches with the switch to Friday night football as it was easy for them after work.

They are a pain for the away days but if you can get the home fans in first then at least you can try to build up a following

I am not sure what is wrong with it. I like a lot of sports and attend them and gigs.

If more people went to events like LOI matches instead of just to the pub or sitting in front of the tv to the watch them the league would be in a much better state. That is more of an issue than people occasionally choosing a different event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Delaney has said the LOI is a problem child

To deflect from his own expensive failings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

But most of the 3k that will be in Oriel tonight could also be called event junkies. Where were they when McCaffrey and co. were in charge?
    Same can be said for every club when they taste success.Event junkies/bandwagon hoppers or whatever other name you want to call them will always be around.
    Attendances will be effected tonight and the FAI don't give a fukk.

But most of the 3k that will be in Oriel tonight could also be called event junkies. Where were they when McCaffrey and co. were in charge?
    Same can be said for every club when they taste success.Event junkies/bandwagon hoppers or whatever other name you want to call them will always be around.

Ah I only know so well, I know some of my mates who claim to be Dundalk fans but apart from Cork, Rovers, Drogheda, any big game (no offence Harps, Galway etc...) they would never go up to Oriel.

We had an average crowd of 1500ish for years in the 1st Division though, bigger than most Prem Division sides.

Clubs attendances drop when they are not successful, only have to look at Old Trafford the past few years, never full to capacity anymore, easy to get tickets...5 years ago it was impossible to get tickets.

Horizon travel etc (rip off merchants) are now advertising trips for 119 day trips at times. These would have been at least 100% more a few years back.

If Dundalks game was moved to tomorrow instead of tonight, there would be less at the game tomorrow than tonight.

Will be more in oriel tonight than in it next Sat night for the Pats game, so rugby is not really going to affect the crowd

• Advertisement

Ah I only know so well, I know some of my mates who claim to be Dundalk fans but apart from Cork, Rovers, Drogheda, any big game (no offence Harps, Galway etc...) they would never go up to Oriel.

We had an average crowd of 1500ish for years in the 1st Division though, bigger than most Prem Division sides.

Clubs attendances drop when they are not successful, only have to look at Old Trafford the past few years, never full to capacity anymore, easy to get tickets...5 years ago it was impossible to get tickets.

Horizon travel etc (rip off merchants) are now advertising trips for 119 day trips at times. These would have been at least 100% more a few years back.

If Dundalks game was moved to tomorrow instead of tonight, there would be less at the game tomorrow than tonight.

Will be more in oriel tonight than in it next Sat night for the Pats game, so rugby is not really going to affect the crowd

I agree what almost everything you say but the rugby tonight will affect it. Maybe not as much as having it on a Saturday. Or as much as a Man united game being on the same night evening. But you don't need to compare it to those you are comparing it to if the rugby wasn't on tonight.

All these can affect whether some people go or not. Some things just affect it more than others.

In my opinion though Friday football works better here. And if you have to compete with 1 or 2 rugby matches a year which results in a small decline in attendances that is still better than a larger reduction in attendances every week for Saturday games

Dundalk were getting decent attendances when John Gill was manager in the 1st division. McCaffrey alienated a lot of fans early on ie he released Keith Ward and Simon Madden (on the grounds they were poor under 17 players when he was in charge of the U17 side) To be fair He signed a few decent players, Shields, Mountney, Shanaghan but a right few plonkers too.

You will always get a bandwagon effect with success (YBIG being no exception)

I suspect most FAI Officials, Delaney included, will be watching the Rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Right decision not move the League of Ireland games tonight, big crowds at Oriel (3286), Dalymount (2,000) and Tallaght (looking at twitter pics) not sure about rest ....Friday night is only night for the best League in the World!
    Record rugby and watch later and go out to the game...best of both worlds.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Right decision not move the League of Ireland games tonight, big crowds at Oriel (3250), Dalymount (2,000) and Tallaght (looking at twitter pics) not sure about rest ....Friday night is only night for the best League in the World!
    Record rugby and watch later and go out to the game...best of both worlds.

For all those that did decide to go out the game it sure does look like it was the better decision now......

.....unless of course you're Welsh! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Dundalk were getting decent attendances when John Gill was manager in the 1st division. McCaffrey alienated a lot of fans early on ie he released Keith Ward and Simon Madden (on the grounds they were poor under 17 players when he was in charge of the U17 side) To be fair He signed a few decent players, Shields, Mountney, Shanaghan but a right few plonkers too.

You will always get a bandwagon effect with success (YBIG being no exception)

I suspect most FAI Officials, Delaney included, will be watching the Rugby.

Dundalk gor 2-3k thoughout the Connor and Foster era too.

It was the McCaffrey year in 2012 when attendances collapsed.

Comparing current attendances to 2012 distorts the true picture.

You are spot on WH, we had good attendances under both those managers. I was referring to the fact that even in the first division Dundalk were getting 1,500 regularly. Sean McCaffrey undid all Ian Fosters work in the close season. St Pats were the first visitors to Oriel in 2012, and before 20 minutes had elapsed I think most of us present knew we were in big trouble. Darius steadied the ship before the play-off matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

http://www.the42.ie/cleaning-up-bird-sht-can-be-worth-over-e20000-to-a-club-3280319-Mar2017/

Good article about valuing your away supporters. Lessons to be learned at the top and bottom of the spectrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Pending a work permit... We have signed Pascal Millien... Ollie has managed a few surprises this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Horgan scored for Preston and Boyle had an assist too.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Horgan scored for Preston and Boyle had an assist too.

Horgan had an assist too. Good to see Boyle starting, he should keep his place now. Greyson very impresssed with the fact that neither had a break from last February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Ruairi Keating scored a 90 minute winner for torquey today

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement